X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schmidt not expecting Lions call from Gatts

By Brendan O’Brien
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012
    Joe Schmidt would be "flattered" if offered a coaching role for the British and Irish Lions tour to Australia but the Leinster chief doesn’t expect such a call from his Kiwi compatriot Warren Gatland.
    The current Wales coach will be unveiled as the Lions’ choice to succeed Ian McGeechan in London next week and Schmidt feels there will once again be a strong representation from the Principality when Gatland unveils his backroom team.

In 2009, McGeechan brought England’s Graham Rowntree to South Africa where he served as scrummaging coach but the other four assistants – Gatland, Rob Howley, Shaun Edwards and Neil Jenkins – were all taken on secondment from their duties with Wales.

The Welsh coaches have done their candidacies no harm of late with a semi-final appearance at the World Cup, an 11th Grand Slam claimed in the most recent Six Nations campaign and an encouraging if ultimately unsuccessful tour of Australia this summer.

That last chapter was undertaken without Gatland who suffered two fractured feet in a freak accident while in New Zealand on holidays, but Howley stepped in to take temporary command for the three-Test tour down under.

"It would be fantastic for anyone to be involved," said Schmidt who played with and against Gatland. "I thought Wales did a great job down there. They didn’t quite get the results but the rugby was very competitive, quite open and made for excellent viewing.

"As an adjunct to that, Rob Howley was down there doing a pretty good job because Gatts had hurt his feet and, on the basis of that, he orientated himself well, he learned a bit about the Australian rugby climate and some of their key players. So, he would be well-placed to go back down there and he has also got a working relationship with the man we are talking about as possibly being named the next Lions coach."

Timing and logistics alone would seem to negate the possibility of Schmidt being included on the touring ticket with Leinster aiming to reach another Pro12 final on May 25 whilst the Lions open their account against the Barbarians in Hong Kong on June 1.

For now, the Leinster coach has more than enough to be contending with ahead of his side’s season opener against the Scarlets on Saturday when he will hoping to avoid the first-day losses of the previous two campaigns. Eleven internationals are still some weeks away from being re-assimilated into the first-team squad while another seven players — Luke Fitzgerald, Mark Flanagan, Conor Gilsenan, David Kearney, Sean O’Brien, Eoin O’Malley and Rhys Ruddock — are out through injury.

Fitzgerald will be lucky to reappear this calendar year, O’Brien has just had a second operation and remains out until at least mid-November while Dave Kearney, Ruddock and Eoin O’Malley will all hope to make returns in October. The Irish contingent can hardly come back quickly enough.

"The difficulty for us is that you can’t suddenly implant ten changes into your starting group," the coach explained. "They start (training) with us on the field this week, the internationals, and there is no real continuity with them so far."

The team that finished the last of their three warm-up games, against Sale Sharks last week, contained 13 Academy players and only lock Tom Denton of their four summer signings has yet had a run-out with the European champions. South African second-row Quinn Roux, Kiwi prop Michael Bent and compatriot Andrew Goodman, a utility back, are at various stages of their nascent careers in Dublin.

Irish Examiner
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

He'll be there.
      Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
        He'll be there.
        Agreed. Surely it's only fair they spread the honours around this year anyway and let Schmidt get off early!

Comment

There's a surprise!!

Irish Examinier

Gatland confirmed as Lions boss
          Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 11:06 AM

Warren Gatland is prepared for “one hell of a challenge” after being confirmed as the British and Irish Lions’ head coach for the 2013 tour of Australia.

Gatland was the outstanding candidate for the post after leading Wales to the semi-finals of the 2011 Rugby World Cup and last season’s Grand Slam triumph.

The Lions will tackle Australia in a three-Test series as part of a 10-match tour, which opens with a fixture against the Barbarians in Hong Kong on June 1.

“There is no question it will be one hell of a challenge,” Gatland said.

“Playing in the southern hemisphere is one of rugby’s hardest challenges. The Lions came close in South Africa (in 2009) and our ambition is to win the series in 2013 – and I believe we have the players to do that.”

Gatland, 48, will coach Wales in their autumn Tests against New Zealand and Australia but otherwise he will be seconded full-time to the Lions.

Gatland is expected to confirm his full coaching team in October and it would be a surprise if the likes of Graham Rowntree and Shaun Edwards are not involved.

All three were part of the 2009 Lions management in South Africa and received the backing of head coach Ian McGeechan to carry the torch to Australia.

“I am really honoured to have been asked to take the position of head coach,” Gatland added.

“I really enjoyed the experience as one of the assistant coaches in 2009 and since then have harboured the ambition to lead the tour to Australia next year.

“Over the coming months I will give careful consideration to the make-up of my coaching staff and of course the playing squad itself.

“A Lions tour is unique, it is the ultimate career pinnacle for coaches and players. I want to ensure that we get the tour environment right so that we are hugely competitive and that our fans are proud of the team.”

The Lions had initially planned to hold the announcement in April but were forced into a delay after Gatland broke both his heels in a fall at his house in Waikato.

“It has been no secret that after the initial selection process, Warren was our preferred candidate,” tour manager Andy Irvine.

“We naturally had to ensure he was fit to take up the post. Those concerns have now been addressed.

“Warren has an outstanding coaching record and he has been fully embedded in rugby in the UK and Ireland since 1989.”

Gatland coached Ireland for three years between 1998 and 2001 before taking charge at Wasps, where he won a hat-trick of Premiership titles and the Heineken Cup.

In 2006, he moved back to New Zealand and coached his native Waikato to the New Zealand provincial title before Wales came calling.

Gatland took charge of a Wales side that had just crashed out of the pool stages of the World Cup and he made an immediate impact, guiding them to the first of two Grand Slam titles during his tenure.

The second was this year and it followed hot on the heels of Wales’ greatest World Cup performance since 1987, when they came agonisingly close to beating France to earn a place in the final.

Gatland will become the second New Zealander to lead the Lions on tour to Australia, after Graham Henry’s failed attempt to beat the Wallabies in 2001.

Rob Howley led Wales on their summer tour of Australia in Gatland’s injury-enforced absence and will continue in that role through the 2013 RBS 6 Nations.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

any mention of backroom staff?? Edwards surely....talk of rowntree ....Howley might stay with Wales.....

gatland should call Eddie for the crack.
            "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
              Now that I'd like to see!! lol
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                Thanks ticketout, you've illustrated my point exactly. Don't expect me to cheer on while Irish players get concussed & get their teeth knocked out (or their shoulders broken up for that matter....). Never mind the dirtpacker sides trying to make a name for themselves by trying to take afew Lions out for good!! e.g. Duncan Mcrae 2001 anyone!? etc.

This takes a huge toll from Ireland & the provinces.... to what end!?

The real beneficiaries from a Lions tour are the SH sides, BSkyB and the players who manage to survive uninjured.

The fans are suckers IMHO, sacrificing their best players for the 'glory' of a post colonial team dream of conquering the SH at home (i.e. in the colonies!). The home unions, players & NH game would be better off with their national squads playing the SH sides,so that players don't get over played, are looked after in a properly managed environment, that they are used to & that will actually have a chance of leading to further success at international level in things that matter a bit like 6Ns & World Cups!!
                I'd agree, nothing would make me happier then for Ireland to remove themselves from this farcical side. It's an embarrassment that it continues to exist, change it to a European side or disband it.

Comment

That would be some sideshow!! :_excited__rvmp_by_b
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

any mention of backroom staff?? Edwards surely....talk of rowntree ....Howley might stay with Wales.....

According to Sky Howley will stay with Wales as part of the agreement over getting Gatland released and Schmidt or C. O'Shea are red hot favourites to be attack coach

Comment

Most of his team will feel very familiar playing in Red
                      Con Artist

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19506209

Wales prop Gethin Jenkins' French club Toulon may not allow him to start the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.
                        Coach Warren Gatland has warned French-based Lions contenders that being unavailable for the tour party's departure could harm their hopes.

But Toulon boss Bernard Laporte says his Lions-qualified players may not be released for that start.
                        "As far as freeing up Gethin, in principle, it's a no," said Laporte.
                        The Lions kick off their tour on 1 June against the Barbarians in Hong Kong.
                        If Toulon reach the Top 14 final, also on 1 June, Jenkins will be expected to play for them.
                        Laporte added: "If he plays in the final, he will leave the day after, on Sunday, 2 June, but not before.
                        "We won't pay a player who has to go and play for the Lions at the most important time of our season.
                        "There is no specific clause in his contract about it."

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19506209

Wales prop Gethin Jenkins' French club Toulon may not allow him to start the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour to Australia.
                          Coach Warren Gatland has warned French-based Lions contenders that being unavailable for the tour party's departure could harm their hopes.

But Toulon boss Bernard Laporte says his Lions-qualified players may not be released for that start.
                          "As far as freeing up Gethin, in principle, it's a no," said Laporte.
                          The Lions kick off their tour on 1 June against the Barbarians in Hong Kong.
                          If Toulon reach the Top 14 final, also on 1 June, Jenkins will be expected to play for them.
                          Laporte added: "If he plays in the final, he will leave the day after, on Sunday, 2 June, but not before.
                          "We won't pay a player who has to go and play for the Lions at the most important time of our season.
                          "There is no specific clause in his contract about it."

IMO Toulon are correct, they are paying a lot of dough for Jenkins for what would be a huge occasion for them.

Jenkins on the other hand, his agent and Gatland (as Welsh manager) should have seen this coming when he was negotiating with Toulon, nobody would wish to see a repeat of Nathan Hines walking away from his club, missing a French final, to play for the Lions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dowlinz View Post
                            I'd agree, nothing would make me happier then for Ireland to remove themselves from this farcical side. It's an embarrassment that it continues to exist, change it to a European side or disband it.
                            you better pray for a sh1t 6n for Ireland , and a sh1t HCup for Munster because if its the opposite a raft of players who wear red and green will be wearing a different colour red come June.
                            "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Gatland gets Lions job

I don't expect to see many Irish players. Expect an Anglo welsh team.

Comment

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...327257765.html

Gatland considering Healsip for captain !

The mind boggles....
                                Calm yourself sir.. you\'re going to give yourself skin failure.

Comment

Working...
                                X