No announcement yet.

Gatland gets Lions job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading the comments below this article I salute Gatland for doing so brilliantly what I always thought he would, he will be up there with Woodward for the biggest disaster the Lions have ever seen,
    ,http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...#disqus_thread

Comment

Only issue of course is that now the sun will be after the non English players.

Comment

Wales and victorious 2013 British and Irish Lions head coach Warren Gatland has been awarded the OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List.
        Gatland, who is currently in South Africa readying the national side for their opening Test against the Boks, said he was humbled by the honour.
        "I was surprised really. It's a massive honour and I'm absolutely over the moon to be asked to receive that. It's great and I'm very proud and humbled," he informed the Welsh Rugby Union.
        "I told my wife and that's been it really. It's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. As a Kiwi I know they did their Queen's birthday honours list a couple of weeks ago and that has a real New Zealand flavour. To receive something in the UK as a Kiwi is pretty special.
        "I have been to Buckingham Palace with the All Blacks. I've been lucky enough to experience that and maybe there will be another opportunity to do that.
        "I don't know whether the palace had sent some correspondence to the wrong address because they ended up contacting the union and there was a bit of panic because they thought I had just ignored it. I replied and said 'I'm absolutely thrilled to receive that and it would be a massive honour.
        "It's nice to be recognised, not just for yourself. There are a heck of a lot of other people that have given me the opportunity to be recognised in terms of the other coaches and the players I've been involved with as well. The support from the union and the people of Wales have made my time really enjoyable. It's easy and it feels very much home at the moment. It's like a second New Zealand.
        "A few mates of mine have given me a hard time about getting an honorary doctorate so I'll probably get a bit of a ribbing about this one too."
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Heard Davy Fitz is using the snub over last years All Ireland as a motivating tactic.
          A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
            Heard Davy Fitz is using the snub over last years All Ireland as a motivating tactic.
            Arise Sir Davey?
            "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by masterchief View Post
              Arise Sir Davey?
              He has arisen. That's his full height
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                Reading the comments below this article I salute Gatland for doing so brilliantly what I always thought he would, he will be up there with Woodward for the biggest disaster the Lions have ever seen,
                ,http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...#disqus_thread
                Oh dear, this didnt quite work as you'd expected
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                  You have been saving that one up for a while sewa, the NH teams are really showing the fruits of last summers lions labours on this summers tours. That is those of them that weren't too knackered to even travel. But Gatland got his gong so all is well with the world.

Comment

The Lions tour has nothing to do with the poor Summer tours, the link is tenuos at best. England had a very positive tour pushing All Blacks to limit twice, Ireland have suffered due to mainly to the coaches conservatism and Wales are just gone completely over the top, too old and not enough coming through
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

There are dogs in the street that have OBEs.

Geech got knighted!

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                        There are dogs in the street that have OBEs.

Geech got knighted!
                        Yeah and now Gats got one too, great recognition for him and the Lions
                        Is stare into a phone

Comment

The Lions tour has nothing to do with the poor Summer tours, the link is tenuos at best. England had a very positive tour pushing All Blacks to limit twice, Ireland have suffered due to mainly to the coaches conservatism and Wales are just gone completely over the top, too old and not enough coming through
                          Obviously any connection between teams under performing and Lions tours is 'tenuous', but Gatland has his OBE in recognition of his Lions coaching and his coaching of Wales to Grand Slams and six nations championships has nothing to do with his recognition by Betty Battenburg.

Comment

The Queen is recognising a rugby team that brings us all together, four teams united as one with a proud tradition. I know you dont get it but this is a cornerstone of the rugby tradition in these islands
                            Is stare into a phone

Comment

The Queen is recognising a rugby team that brings us all together, four teams united as one with a proud tradition. I know you dont get it but this is a cornerstone of the rugby tradition in these islands
                              I agree, and I used to think that but one NH win out of 7 RWCs for the 4 nations makes me think it is time to review it. I think a sensible compromise would be to move it in the cycle so the tour happens 18 months after the previous RWC rather than 18 months before the next.

Comment

I dont see any link netween the Lions and RWC success. New Zealand and SA have always been the worlds two biggest teams and they still are. That England have gotten to where they now consistently challenge them is quite an achievment, think its three finals now? Frogs were unlucky not to win the last one but they are massively inconsistent. Aside from that Wales maybe last time would have won it bar Rollands shocking decision. They have never been close to good enough any other time. The fact that ireland have never even been to a semi final is sweet FA to do with Lions tours as usually we send very few players on them. Ireland and Scotland alike bounce around between fifth and tenth in the world and that isnt going to change anytime soon
                                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                                X