Gatland gets Lions job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatland gets Lions job

BBC Radio 5 Live reporting that Gatland gets the nod.

I'm sure all the Irish players will be thrilled ....

Originally posted by cilldioma View Post
    BBC Radio 5 Live reporting that Gatland gets the nod.

I'm sure all the Irish players will be thrilled ....
    Say they are all getting their passports ready

Comment

Originally posted by Waterboy View Post
      Say they are all getting their passports ready

For their summer holidays. Can book them early in 2013.
      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

A(another) Kiwi in charge of the British & Irish Lions. Isn't it time to give up on this whole charade? Who really cares?
        "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by FORWARD.... View Post
          A(another) Kiwi in charge of the British & Irish Lions. Isn't it time to give up on this whole charade? Who really cares?
          I do. It's a great tradition. Not surprised that Gatland got the job best coach in the NH results wise. Will be interesting to see who he selects.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

There really was no other candidate when it came down to it, he'll do well, I guess he will be taking Edwards with him?
            Hip Flasks at the ready, double for a Stringer ankle tap!

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
              I do. It's a great tradition. Not surprised that Gatland got the job best coach in the NH results wise. Will be interesting to see who he selects.
              And I do
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

I think it was a great tradition but I think it has had its day. Shortest tour ever next summer and would not be surprised if it is the last one. The Northern Hemisphere teams should not be putting the Southern Hemisphere teams onto a pedestal by saying we need four nations to beat your one. I would rather see the European teams playing 3 test series in rotation against the SH teams and the shortfall being made up with playing developing nations in a Churchill cup type arrangement. Genuinely hope as few Irish players as possible are involved because the rate of attrition for Irish players on Lions tours has been brutal and not done the national team or the provinces any favours. Fatland, Edwards and Rowntree being the coaching ticket makes my stance on the whole thing a lot easier to justify.

Comment

With Oz being the least interested of the 3 SH nations (I've never been on a Lions tour so I cant justify or confirm this, but Union isnt massive down there) It might be a series Sky can win, and plug the balls out of it afterward. The Wallabies have had a small bit of a hoodoo over Wales for a long time now, but England have no fear of them whatsoever. Also, the Wallaby pack in global terms isn't exactly gigantic, there's no HighVeldt monsters ready to ambush during the midweek either, I don't think this upcoming tour will be half as attritional opposition-wise, although I do think the Fatland/Edwards Bootcamp will be for the selected squad.
                  I am the million man.

Comment

Unlikely to be too many Irish players in the first draft squad - but it is a tour that the players want to make, whatever the merits or demerits of it from a national perspective.
                    It would seem most players see it as a career honour to make the selection- regardless of what we supporters think.

Comment

I suppose my initial post was in reference to the fact that Gatland just riles many an Irish supporter - and I'd presume some players - with his provocative stance on other teams, and also on referees.

His outbursts, particularly about refs, were nothing sort of a disgrace during the 6Ns.

I can't help but feel that, 11 years later, he still has a massive chip on his shoulder about Irish rugby. At the time, I didn't agree with the shameful manner of his disposal, but I personally feel as if he just needs to let it go.

One thing is for sure - he won't be calling up EOS as an assistant ;-)

Comment

He does seem to be some man for carrying a grudge, but it was indeed a shameful act. If there was any sanity in the IRFU given how we have underachieved since and the success Gatland has had some heads should roll.

But if the job is to go to the best head coach of a 4 nations side then it is a no brainer it has to be Gatland, warts and all.
                        I am one of the 5 clowns woo hoo

Comment

If confirmed he is by far the best man for the Job. Also would like to see fewer Irish players on tour as it takes us at least a year to recover after these events. As things stand it wll be mainly English Welsh anyway.
                          Last edited by hooke; 26-March-2012, 16:45.

Comment

Originally posted by maxer View Post
                            Unlikely to be too many Irish players in the first draft squad - but it is a tour that the players want to make, whatever the merits or demerits of it from a national perspective.
                            It would seem most players see it as a career honour to make the selection- regardless of what we supporters think.
                            Don't know about that. The Lions promoters will be anxious to fill the stadiums with exiled Irish people. They sure won't fill them with Welsh.

Comment

I guess that means Warburton is guaranteed the captaincy as well. I wonder what will happen if next season, Ireland, France and England get their acts together again and relegate Wales back to their usual 4th place (as with the last 2 grand slams)?

Comment

Working...
                              X