Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euan Murray

Taken from The Examiner.

One other player was missing from yesterday’s get-together after Northampton, who play Bourgoin in Friday’s European Challenge Cup final, refused to release prop Euan Murray.

The Lions management, who were informed of the decision early yesterday, were furious with Northampton, having told the clubs and unions six months ago that the entire squad would be needed on Monday for logistical issues, sponsor duties and the official tour photograph.

Murray, along with the players of Leinster and Leicester involved in the Heineken Cup final, would have returned to his club in the evening.

"It’s disappointing for us but also for Euan," said Lions chief executive John Feehan. "We have asked the RFU to speak to the club but we will just have to get on without him." The Lions will face a team featuring eight players with Super 14 experience in the opening match of their South African tour.
    What do ye make of their decision not to release him for the Lions meetup? If I was Murray I'd have been gutted not being their for the official photograph. Surely they could have released him for short time involved.

It's all part of the on-going struggle for control between the Clubs in England and the Unions. The English clubs will not agree to release anyone except where they are specifically obliged so to do by their contract with the RFU.

Comment

On a side issue on this guy, I didn't realise he was the Glasgow player left fitting on the pitch after collision with Hoggie several years back. That was a hideous incident and not the only case (IIRC) of players being down during that game but his was the worst. To have come back from that to this point is amazing really.
      Did you play in the Garden of Eden?
      Were the goalkeeper\'s gloves to you tossed?
      For it seems to me you\'re the reason,
      You\'re the reason why paradise lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh Start
        On a side issue on this guy, I didn't realise he was the Glasgow player left fitting on the pitch after collision with Hoggie several years back. That was a hideous incident and not the only case (IIRC) of players being down during that game but his was the worst. To have come back from that to this point is amazing really.

yep that was him alright, Ithink he was kept in hospital for a couple of days observation and wasn't allowed play for about a month afterwards.
        Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

He is also one of the players who was involved in almost every brawl against Bourgoin last Friday night. Several punches thrown and no sanctions. Didn't think he was like that. I'd say the Boks will be smiling to see how easy it seemed to be to rile him up.

Comment

In fairness to Northampton, Jim Mallinder was asked to respond to Gerald Davies comments where he (Davies) said it was very disappointing that Northampton would not release Murray for the official photos. Davies went on to say the Lions had notified the relevant Football Unions of the schedule months ago and had expected the Home Unions to cvontact each club and notify them in time so thatall players couldbe released for official fuunctions.

Mallinder said the RFU had made no contact whatsoever with Northampton, and therefore he had not known until the last minute that Murray would be required .... he said at that stage their preparations were such that Murray could not be released as his primary objective was to win the Challenge Cup.

That said, I think he was being disingenuous. Murray himself must have been given aschedule of events shortly after the Lions were announced and one would have thought he would have brought this to the attention of his club, so Mallinder would have known from Murray weeks ago that he was needed last Monday week.. To blame the RFU iscowardly by Mallinder. Still they won the cup, there is photoshop so I guess its a moot point in any case.
            Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Northampton were dead right, they had a european final to play and that is the most important thing to them.

The lion's may be important to Murray but even for him, club has to come first.

Comment

Originally posted by nuke
                Northampton were dead right, they had a european final to play and that is the most important thing to them.

The lion's may be important to Murray but even for him, club has to come first.

Agreed absolutely ... though if Leicester and Leinster (and in the latters case they were releasing 4 players) were both prepared to co-operate then its hard to justify Northamptons behaviour .... after all firstly, it was only for a day and presumably all clubs involved in a final weekend will give their players a couple of days R & R ... I have no doubt Northampton gave their squad a day off last week.

Secondly, Northampton are as aware as anyone that commercial reality is of vital importantce these days. They have sponsors, fans, photo op days themselves.

But mostly its Mallinder's refusal to admit that it was his choice and that no one else is responsible that I take issue with.
                Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Corker
                  He is also one of the players who was involved in almost every brawl against Bourgoin last Friday night. Several punches thrown and no sanctions. Didn't think he was like that. I'd say the Boks will be smiling to see how easy it seemed to be to rile him up.
                  To be honest he looked like he was trying to break up most of them, Neil Best looked like he was involved in a couple, though he did come out the worst , anyway the French were a lot more wound up than Northampton and forgot to play rugby.
                  \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher234

Agreed absolutely ... though if Leicester and
                    Leinster (and in the latters case they were releasing 4 players) were
                    both prepared to co-operate then its hard to justify Northamptons
                    behaviour ....
                    But they didn't have Rocky Elsom to help them win [img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

The thing is, if this Lions team is successful, that group photo will be a
                    part of history with him in one of those oval placeholders, forever
                    having to explain why he wasn't part of the group photo. That doesn't
                    sit well with the perfectionist inside me [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Comment

Iam little more worried by the fact he got consistently beat in those scrums.
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux

behaviour ....

well blame the lions management for organising the pic while the most important matches of the season were in the balance

Comment

well blame the lions management for organising the pic
                          while the most important matches of the season were in the
                          balance
                          As previously pointed out, if Leinster were able to do it...

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterLux

behaviour ....

well blame the lions management for organising the pic while the most important matches of the season were in the balance

Yeah thats a great point ... in fact they should have waited to announce the squad until all of the matches were played and the plane was warming up on the apron ..... that way O' Leary, Quinlan et al wouldnt feel so disappointed as they would never have been considered in the first place ..... btw it wasnt just a photo op ... afaik it also involved sponsor meets, suit fittings, and a general talk about behaviour etc once in SA

Comment

Originally posted by sewa

Iam little more worried by the fact he got consistently beat in those scrums.
                              You are not alone ! And by supposedly "inferior" opposition too. [img]smileys/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X