Munster Praetorian Guard

Got my Itouch working no problem in Free Wi-Fi zones during the Holidays, but cant get it to connect to my Home Wireless router. It can see the Eircom Wi-fi, but asks me to enter the password on the Itouch. Its so long ago that I set up the Home wireless router, would anyone be able to point me to where I would be able to retrieve this password from my home PC? The excesses of Christmas have severely dulled my brain and I'am getting nowhere.

type in 192.168.2.1 in IE or firefox (this is the default web address to access the router, although it might be different)

You should be able to get or change the password from there

Munster Praetorian Guard
    A huge vulnerability was discovered in those routers because they don't use random passwords so finding yours should be easy! You should really change it though.

Enter your network ID on this website and you can find out the password - http://bacik.org/eircomwep/

Quote Originally Posted by daveirl
    A huge vulnerability was discovered in those routers because they don't use random passwords so finding yours should be easy! You should really change it though.

Enter your network ID on this website and you can find out the password - http://bacik.org/eircomwep/
    They actually do use random passwords, but it's how the random password is generated can be found out.

If that doesn't work - you'll need to do the following from your home pc

Click Start > Run > type in CMD > Hit Enter

type > ipconfig

It should give your default gateway - with eircom netopia boxes it's normally 192.168.1.254.

Quote Originally Posted by Drick
    type in 192.168.2.1 in IE or firefox (this is the default web address to access the router, although it might be different)

Mines different, however you should have saved, or when you set up your account it would have asked you to save this location to your laptop somewhere, if you didn't rename it it will be called Netopia Router (IE or FF shortcut) somewhere on your pc/laptop

Leader of the Red Hordes

Quote Originally Posted by Drick

How do u actually change the password on the router?
    \" 220 horses, i gotta gun, a siren, a tank full of city gas....DON\'T YOU LOVE IT\"

the password you need to change is the one on the wireless.

I use WPA-PSK as the security option on the wireless for mine .. you can give it a word/phrase and it will turn it into a lovely long completely non-sensical key that you then need to enter on any wireless device that wants to connect to the box.

I would strongly advise making any changes when hooked up to the box by wire. if you do it over wireless you'll just disconnect yourself !

I'll try to remember about this thread when I get home this evening, and give the menu steps for making the changes/finding the key.
    Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

your first problem is that you are using Eircom Broadband. Address this.

Then resolve never to use Eircom for any other service so long as you live or they survive.

All other problems will then be easier to sort out.

Leader of the Red Hordes masterchief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beir bua
    your first problem is that you are using Eircom Broadband. Address this.

Then resolve never to use Eircom for any other service so long as you live or they survive.

All other problems will then be easier to sort out.
    Well said, I concur!
    [img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

havent had any trouble with eircom broadband myself

poor speeds, lousy contention and too expensive.
    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

who'se better so? thought all the companies (except the wireless and cable crowds) had to use eircom lines anyway?

I find smart pretty good, I've got 8mb download, 640k upload, no contention and no download limits all for €49 a month including line rental. Apparently I get a whole load of free phone calls as well (but I don't have a phone) Which I reckon is damn good value.

i got eircom for the free wireless router, will re-evaluate after contract is up

good plan, you can probably keep the router too. If smart are in your area I'd highly recommend them.

yep. think its 6 months, maybe 12 and i can keep it.

everyones a winner!

Munster Praetorian Guard

Quote Originally Posted by junior

They actually do use random passwords, but it's how the random password is generated can be found out.

Click Start > Run > type in CMD > Hit Enter

type > ipconfig

It should give your default gateway - with eircom netopia boxes it's normally 192.168.1.254.
    <!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    window.open = SymWinOpen;
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
    window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

Ok, now the beer must have really taken over my mind. I'am all over the place and still cant get to what I need. I have used the link above and typed in my SSID number, which I presume is the one that looks like eircom9999 9999. It come back with a series of numbers?? I have typed in the 192.168.1.254, as above and it displays an Eircom broadband screen with loads of details, such as IP addresses, eccryption key (about 30 alpha-numerics), etc. It says that Privacy is WEP-Manual. Should I be going into the Wi-fi setup in the Itouch and setting up IP addresses, etc. Or is enough to find this bloody elusive password. Its now getting the better of me.

Eircom are just a sham of a company. Their sole reason for their continued existence is that they are a former semi-state company and a good proportion of the population are too dumb to move away from them for that reason. They have a customer base that won't move from them no matter how abysmal their service. They generally offer poor value for what they provide but because their marketing ruthlessly targets people who don't or can't know any better they manage to keep their sales high. A total sham.

lots of rage-ahol there BB, well done!

Munster Praetorian Guard

Quote Originally Posted by masterchief

Agreed that some people are not happy with their service, but then again some people are happy to complain about any company's service. I'am just looking for some help in this thread, and if someone wants to set up " I hate Eircom" thread, then thats fine with me, as the last few responses are of no help.

Quote Originally Posted by shep

Quote Originally Posted by masterchief

Agreed that some people are not happy with their service, but then again some people are happy to complain about any company's service. I'am just looking for some help in this thread, and if someone wants to set up " I hate Eircom" thread, then thats fine with me, as the last few responses are of no help.

Oh stop complaining

Click Start &gt; Run &gt; type in CMD &gt; Hit Enter

type &gt; ipconfig

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//->

Ok, now the beer must have really taken over my mind. I'am all over the place and still cant get to what I need. I have used the link above and typed in my SSID number, which I presume is the one that looks like eircom9999 9999. It come back with a series of numbers?? I have typed in the 192.168.1.254, as above and it displays an Eircom broadband screen with loads of details, such as IP addresses, eccryption key (about 30 alpha-numerics), etc. It says that Privacy is WEP-Manual. Should I be going into the Wi-fi setup in the Itouch and setting up IP addresses, etc. Or is enough to find this bloody elusive password. Its now getting the better of me.
    did you have any luck with this?

that really is quite scary. knew about the flaw but just used it to help brother find his password. thankfully i changed mine a while back

In the Departure Lounge Old Dog's Avatar

Whoop dee do?

<H3 =res>eircom Introduces Higher Broadband Speeds </H3>
    <DIV id=story>

(Thursday, 31st January 200[img]smileys/cool.gif[/img] eircom today announced plans to significantly increase broadband speeds for broadband customers nationwide, through a combination of speed upgrades and new products. The changes also apply to all wholesale customers, enabling other operators to offer new broadband products to the Irish market. Retail broadband customers will continue to pay the same monthly fee and will receive the speed upgrades free of charge, while today’s announcement will provide lower wholesale broadband prices.

eircom will now offer broadband products with download speeds that range from 1Mb up to 12Mb per second. The speed upgrades and new products will be introduced on a phased basis over the coming months.

More than 240,000 wholesale and retail customers will now see their broadband download speeds increase. These speeds will range from 3Mb per second to up to 12Mb per second.

Customers currently availing of a 3Mb, 4Mb or a 6Mb product will see significant increases in downloads speeds which will at least double. They will be upgraded to 7.6Mb, 10Mb and 12Mb product respectively. Customers currently using a 2Mb product will be upgraded to a 3Mb product.

The dates for each of the changes are being finalised with rollout to customers between now and June.

Commenting on the announcement, Rex Comb, CEO, eircom said, "eircom is responding directly to customer needs and levels of broadband usage by introducing increased speeds. Customers are maximising the benefits of their broadband connection through the increased use of online applications such as video streaming, online gaming, music downloads and peer to peer applications. The introduction of these higher speeds benefits broadband users nationwide and is the next step in the rollout of eircom’s Next Generation Network".

<TABLE height=136 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=468 border=1>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>New Speed
    (Download/Upload)

</TD>
    <TD align=middle> Current Speeds
    (Download/Upload)
    </TD>
    <TD align=middle>Implementation
    Date

</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>12Mb/1Mb</TD>
    <TD align=middle>6Mb/512k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>March - May 2008
    </TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>10Mb/832k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>4Mb/484k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>March - May 2008</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>7.6Mb/672k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>3Mb/384k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>June 2008</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>3Mb/384k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>2Mb/256k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>June 2008</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD align=middle>1Mb/128k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>1Mb/128k</TD>
    <TD align=middle>N/A</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

ENDS
    </DIV>

Click Start &gt; Run &gt; type in CMD &gt; Hit Enter

type &gt; ipconfig

<!-
    var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
    var SymReal;

Sym()
    {
    if(SymReal != null)
    SymReal();
    }

Sym&#079;nLoad()
    {
    SymReal&#079;nLoad();
    SymReal = window.;
    window. = Sym;
    }

//->

these are the key details for getting your wireless device to talk to your router. you need to set the iTouch or PDA or laptop or whatever to use WEP manual, and then enter the encryption key specified on that screen.

IF your device doesn't allow WEP then you can change the privacy type on the page you were looking at to something that is accepted by your iTouch.

On my system I use WPA-PSK. WPA is the encryption type, PSK means pre-shared key. The key is shown on the router admin page, and then I enter it on my laptop so I can use it wirelessly... I've also done the same setup with a wi-fi PDA easily enough. thoughthe PDAdidn't work so well with the eircom hotspot in dublin airport [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]even though I have the free account to use those hotspots.
    Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Leader of the Red Hordes
    Pretty impressive news Old Dog.

That said, I think I'll stay with Smart and zero contention - in the
    evenings and weekends I'm probably getting faster speeds!
    Munster - Incessant Perfervidity
    "Ireland Will Choke" - Jeremy Guscott

no-one in their right mind should even contemplate getting any product or service from Eircom.