Right here it goes, in my sitting room I had a two switch dimmer.1 switch for the wall mounted lights, and1 for the ceiling lights.

I recently removed the two wall mounted lights so one of the switches was not needed anymore, but i need to replace a similar 2 switch dimmer which is broken in another room, so I bought a single dimmer for the sitting room which i tried to fit today.

When I removed it the switch had two units at the back (one for each dimmer), both with L1 L2 and C slots for wires. There were4 wires there but one came loose and I'm not sure where it was. Two of the wires were connected together with a strip of wire each of the two connections were in I think the two C slots

So I got the sitting room lights working and had two loose wires which i tidied away, but now there are lights not working in the hall and elsewhere

So, can I get the other lights working by putting the two loose wires together into the C slot or do I have to have a 2 switch one to keep the circuit connected and not create a fire.

I'm off to google it now but if anyone has advice in the mean time let me know

Thanks

Best thing you can do right NOW is trip the light circuit OFF so that you don't kill yourself.

It sounds like you've got stray wires which are live hanging.

Trip them off NOW! Don't touch the switches.

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveler came as a large moving Torb! Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!

Now that the panic's over, an explanation (If I've read the above right).

The lights are most likely on a ring main circuit or maybe on a non-fused spur off of a ring main.

The ring main is a circular circuit with both ends terminating at the mains. If there's a break then none of the circuit will work.

HOWEVER, if the current finds a route to earth, say a child's hand, then that will cause a shock.

Best thing you can do is trip the lights out, re-check your wiring, trip it back in and check the lights with a phase tester / multimeter (much better).

Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the Rectification of the Vuldronaii, the Traveler came as a large moving Torb! Then, during the Third Reconciliation of the Last of the Meketrex Supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Sloar! Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!

If there's any sparkies on here they should be able to correct me and set you straight.

dont worry, trip was off when wiring [img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

also i have wire cover things screwed onto the loose wires

cheers by the way, do you mean that the two loose wires should be connected?

Munster Praetorian Guard
    One of the wires that's loose would be the connection bringing the deed out to your other rooms. Put one of them back into the C and see if they work. If not it should be the other one. That's if i'm reading what yo usay right. The one the doesn't work should be the wire up to your wall lights that you've moved.

You got house insurance HR?
    4 Feb 2011 - Gilmore on the General Election

"Frankfurts way or Labours way."

28 Feb 2012 - Gilmore on a yes vote for the fiscal treaty

"A vote for economic stability and a vote for economic recovery."

Munster Praetorian Guard
    <DIV>
    Quote Originally Posted by huron
    Now that the panic's over, an explanation (If I've read the above right).

The lights are most likely on a ring main circuit or maybe on a non-fused spur off of a ring main.

The ring main is a circular circuit with both ends terminating at the mains. If there's a break then none of the circuit will work.

HOWEVER, if the current finds a route to earth, say a child's hand, then that will cause a shock.

Best thing you can do is trip the lights out, re-check your wiring, trip it back in and check the lights with a phase tester / multimeter (much better).
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>I hope it's not wired like that or someone could be in an awful lot of trouble.</DIV>

Munster Berserker
    Sorry Huron, but if the circuit is anything like what you have described, Hugged Rugger is in serious trouble!!

HR, Roll Away is correct, just make sure before you go connecting up the "spare" wires that you have the wires that go (went??) to the wall lights safely terminated in case you happen to connect that one up first.
    Good luck.

I am not an alcoholic - alcoholics go to meetings.

thanks roll away, as i said two of the four wires were connected tegether witha small strip of wire with each ofthe two connected parts going into different slots, one on each switch

currently the other two wires connext to L1 and C so one or both of those wires ( i separated them [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]) need to go together or into C I reckon (&lt;&lt; dont like that word)

Munster Praetorian Guard
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugged Rugger

thanks roll away, as i said two of the four wires were connected tegether witha small strip of wire with each ofthe two connected parts going into different slots, one on each switch

currently the other two wires connext to L1 and C so one or both of those wires ( i separated them [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]) need to go together or into C I reckon (&lt;&lt; dont like that word)

<DIV>
    </DIV>
    <DIV>Those 2 that are connected are most likely feeding the switch, was there a link on the back of the switch between the 2 blocks? The other 2 wires should be going up to the lights. The C is for your feeds, L1 For the wire going up to the light.</DIV>

ok here is what i took out. at this pont imgetting unsure as to what went where originally. Local spark who put in recessed lights for me may pop by without charging too much (wall lights were still there at that point)

Munster Praetorian Guard

ok here is what i took out. at this pont imgetting unsure as to what went where originally. Local spark who put in recessed lights for me may pop by without charging too much (wall lights were still there at that point)

<DIV>
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Yeah the 2 connected together are your feed and they have to go into C. You'll have to try and find which one of the other 2 are going to the centre lights, The best way if you have no meter is to power it up and just touch the 2 spares off your feed CAREFULLY, When it lights you haveit. I'll PM you my number jjust in case.</DIV>

Munster Praetorian Guard
    Your PM was full. Hope it's sorted anyway.

Munster Praetorian Guard
    THE 2 wires that were connected together in the diagram above need to both go into C of your new switch together-it sounds like you havent done this and that is why other lights in the house dont work. one of the remaning other 2 is the switchwire to your ceiling lights and the other, by elimination, is now the redundant switchwire out to your wall lights.

1. firstly make sure that the wires at the wallights are in connectors-reds with reds, blacks with blacks etc-dont forget earths too-these have green/yellow sleeving on or sometimes bare- u must joint all these earths together as they could go out to other lights/switches in the house providing safety (if you see a black with red tape on it that needs to go into the reds) -now tape these connectors up safely.

2. go to the switch connect one of the 2 switchwires mentioned above into L1-put the fuse back in and switch it on-the celing lights should come on-if not switch off, pull fuse and disconnect-u have the wrong wire-connect the other one up to L1-tape up and make safe the other wire (wall light switchwire by elimination) screw the switch back on and turn the fuse back on-everything should now be ok.

has hugged rugger been heard of or seen since?

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img][img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]
    Phew, you're okay then!

havent touched it since. away for the weekend so will get back to it sunday. going to birmingham, wedding not to get to match [img]smileys/sad.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Boo-boo
    Phew, you're okay then!

funny how that little picture became a premonition. Ouch that was sore.... both times

anyway, all is working now in both rooms. thanks for the help.

one question out of curiousity though, if i knock off the main trip switch, should that cut the power to everything in the house?

My first shock came from stupiditity (i.e. assuming that all downstairs lights were on the same circuit and fining out the hard way they werent). After that instead of checking to see which of the other trip switches were the rest of the downstairs lights i just hit the main trip switch believing this would cut power to everything and still got shocked

Munster Praetorian Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Boo-boo
    Phew, you're okay then!

funny how that little picture became a premonition. Ouch that was sore.... both times

anyway, all is working now in both rooms. thanks for the help.

one question out of curiousity though, if i knock off the main trip switch, should that cut the power to everything in the house?

My first shock came from stupiditity (i.e. assuming that all downstairs lights were on the same circuit and fining out the hard way they werent). After that instead of checking to see which of the other trip switches were the rest of the downstairs lights i just hit the main trip switch believing this would cut power to everything and still got shocked
    <DIV>
    </DIV>
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>Yeah knocking down the main 63Amp switch should cut all the power to the house. Are you sure you knocked down the right 1?[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]It is sore isn't it, you quickly learn to become very carefull after 1 or 2.[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]</DIV>

Sounds like you need to get a qualified sparky in HR. If you picked up a shock after tripping the main fuse there is something seriously amiss.
    4 Feb 2011 - Gilmore on the General Election

"Frankfurts way or Labours way."

28 Feb 2012 - Gilmore on a yes vote for the fiscal treaty

"A vote for economic stability and a vote for economic recovery."

i rang him last night for advice about some earthing(i paid him enough to do a load of other work so 2 minutes wasnt much to ask), forgot to ask about the trip

must knock it off this evening and turn the light on. it was straight afteri knocked off the main trip so maybe there was a bit of charge left

HR - please be CAREFUL!!!

there's no such thing as 'a bit of charge left'![img]smileys/shock.gif[/img]

You might have crossed earths with lives, and when you trip the main the "shock" you are experiencing might be some imbalanced current flow through the earth or neutrals.

I don't know too much about electrics but I do recognise that you are playing with death.

If you want to check anything then carefully (with proper insulated tools) check that the wires you suspect to be live actually are, and the wires you suspect to be neutrals or earths are (and these should not carry any current when the switch is off). Obviously this is done without knocking off any MCBs.

“Well done, Paul – that was some performance by Munster. A famous victory!”
    <font color=RED>“It was unreal!”</font>
    “and what about those wonderful supporters, Paul – what have you got to say about them?”
    <font color=RED>“they were unreal!”</font>
    “Well congratulations Paul – you’ve been voted man of the match today. How does that feel?”
    <font color=RED>Unreal</font>”

Wellies, large styrofoam sheets and a wooden broom sound in order.[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]

Munster Berserker

Ok - not exactly a light switch or wiring question but this is the only thread that loosely relates to my quandry;

I recently found an old lava lamp that has not been used in well over 7 years + was wondering would anyone knowis there any reason why it shouldn't work? The only bulb I could find to fit it last night was a low wattage Ikea bulb and I reckon even if it was a brand new lampI'd still be waiting for the wax to melt in a weeks time.

It's an old Mathmos lamp + checked their site but they don't produce the style I have anymore.

Don't see why it won't work with the proper bulb in, as you say you'll need one that gives out a lot of heat, to melt the wax, most DIY stores would have them. just clean it up as any dust will burn as well.