Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    <TABLE id=dgSecti&#111;n style="BORDER-LEFT-COLOR: white; BORDER-BOTTOM-COLOR: white; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: n&#111;ne; BORDER-TOP-COLOR: white; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: n&#111;ne; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: n&#111;ne; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-RIGHT-COLOR: white; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: n&#111;ne" borderColor=white cellSpacing=0 rules=all border=1><T>
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD>

@@@@SPAN ="articledate">20 November 2006 @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="articleline">Media ‘hypes and over-reports crime in Limerick’@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="author">By Jimmy Woulfe, Mid-West Correspondent@@@@/SPAN>
    @@@@SPAN ="articlesummary">A LEADING academic said yesterday that statistics prove Limerick’s crime profile is hyped and over-reported by the media. @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="article">
    Professor Stephen O’Brien said garda crime figures do not support the image of the city as having a disproportionate level of serious crime.

Prof O’Brien, head of the University of Limerick’s applied mathematics faculty, said he decided to research crime as it seemed to be a particular issue in Limerick.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="article">@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN ="article">“It made me wonder how bad the situation really is. So I went looking. After a little searching, one comes across the crime statistics for 2005. And the results are really surprising: how many murders in Limerick in 2005? From media presentations, one would guess ‘many’. In fact for that year the figure is precisely one. Yes, one.

“When I looked at the numbers I could not believe it. The figures for headline crime are also very interesting as they show a similar level of headline crime from for Cork and Limerick per 1,000 of population at around 28 crimes per 1,000. The corresponding figure for headline crime in Dublin was 120 per 1,000.”

In 2005, Cork city had two murders and Dublin had 27.

“This may be a particularly low murder figure for that year; Limerick does tend to have more murders than it should due to gangland/feuds. But nothing like what one would perceive from media hype. Three to four a year seems about normal.”

Headline crimes per 1,000 of population for major centres of population for 2004 and 2005 were as follows:

* Cork: 26.82 (2004); 27.81 (2005).

* Limerick: 25.57 (2004); 31.85 (2005).

* Dublin North Central: 119.72 (2005).

* Dublin South Central: 95.78 (2005).

Prof O’Brien said: “Similar trends apply for previous years. Limerick had slightly fewer headline crimes (per 1,000 population) than Cork in 2004 and slightly more in 2005. But inner city Dublin is three-to-four times as bad.”

He said the conclusions of his research are obvious.

“Dublin is by far the most dangerous place in the country. Headline crime figures in other urban areas are approximately the same; Dublin is seriously out of line. Limerick is more or less average.”

He said the media are responsible for the unfair projection of Limerick as a place with a crime problem which is out of kilter with other cities except Dublin.

He said some crimes which go unreported in Dublin would merit national headlines if they happened in Limerick.

“A man went into a rugby club in Dublin recently and stabbed five people, singling out men wearing blazers. That only emerged in the media some weeks later when it was briefly mentioned in a Sunday newspaper as part of a story. Imagine what would have happened in the media if a similar attack occurred on a Saturday night in a Limerick rugby club.”

He said the incident in which a five-year-old Southill boy was shot was also over-reported.

“It went on for days in the media. If that happened in Dublin it would not have got the same treatment. And in one radio chat show, a guest mention about a ‘boy being murdered’ in Limerick and not one person contradicted him. There was a gut reaction.”@@@@/SPAN> </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>
    @@@@SPAN ="artic
    It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

If the feuding scumbags were dealt with the stats would be considerably better again.

The figures for Dublin are shocking frankly.

Yeah, I wonder just how much the crime rate would drop if you deported the feuders (?) to Tory Island or somwhere?

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into.

Every plan I have is the best plan in the room. Everybody get quiet and listen to it, and everybody will win

Munster Praetorian Guard

A friend of mine has worked as a doctor in the A+E departments in Cork and Limerick. He says that what he has seen on Cork is far worse than Limerick. Stuff like fella's being stabbed up the arse in punishment attacks. If the same thing happened in Limerick it make the 6 o'clock news.

Munster Dog of War
    I know that I feel much safer walking the streets of limerick that I do anywhere in Dublin. I live in Ranelagh which now has some lunatic attacking women between the hours of 3-5am around my area (the Hill pub). This guy made the headlines of the Metro. At least in Limerick you know the areas to avoid but Ranelagh is meant to be a 'good' area.

Beyond the recent mentalist one of my housemates cars was spray painted, anothers was broken into, it's like beirut at Halloween (bonfire lit for 2 days). The house next door found a syringe in our shared area. Hello? nice area alright but no different from anywhere else I've lived in Dublin inc Baggot St, Temple Bar (you'd expect that there) and Ringsend (5 cars in underground burnt out while we slept above). Puts in into perspective tho. Crime in Limerick has always been over exposed by the media who only add feul to the fire cos it sells papers.

Sin Binned

The media donthate Limerick. In fact they love Limerick. If there wasnt abloody fued going on they would have very little to report on.

In the Departure Lounge Old Dog's Avatar

Why not talk to Jimmy Woulfe, folks - he's the Limerick (?) man behind 90% of the Limerick bad news stories that hit the national media.

I credit the reporter Michael Walsh for starting the whole bad press for Limerick thing.

Munster Praetorian Guard
    It all sounds very familiar to me. Give a dog a bad name. But don't expect the papers to allow the facts to get in the way of a bit of bone idle 'journalism'.

Sin Binned

Anyone fancy a stroll around O'Malley park?

Quote Originally Posted by sewa

Anyone fancy a stroll around O'Malley park?

I'd swop ya a stroll around O'Malley Park for one in Knocka anyday.

Knocka?

Sin Binned

Knocka is very tame by comparison. I've lived in both cities and Limerick is far worse. That's my honest opinion and I have the scars to back it up.

Sin Binned

Quote Originally Posted by Dermot G
    Knocka?

Knocknaheeney. Its the area you drivepast as you come in from the limerick side.

Munster Praetorian Guard

Why not talk to Jimmy Woulfe, folks - he's the Limerick (?) man behind 90% of the Limerick bad news stories that hit the national media.

Barry Duggan does his bit too.

Munster Berserker
    When I lived in Galway city crime was barely reported(even in their
    local papers) to keep the city 'innocent' but in reality that was not the
    case.
    Love Poem

Beyond watching eyes
    With sweet and tender kisses
    Our souls reached out to each other
    In breathless wonder

And when I awoke
    From a vast and smiling peace
    I found you bathed in morning light
    Quietly studying
    All the messages on my phone

Munster Dog of War
    Limerick city centre feels as safe as Cork city centre at night, imo. Dublin city centre always feels edgy at night imo, certainly if you are on your own. Dublin based papers want to believe that the rest of the country is as bad as Dublin for crime, the headlines from Limerick allow them show this impression. A few estates in Limerick have crime problems, and family feuds, but the real fruit and nut case for crime is Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by DEARGDOOM
    case.

Noticed that myself in my years there (though I don't think it's as bad crime-wise as the other main cities).

Anyhow, the issue shouldn't be is Limerick better or worse when the stats show it isn't, but rather, why is Limerick portrayed as being much worse? Who gains? I can't imagine it sells that many papers.

Sin Binned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyFantastic

Quote Originally Posted by DEARGDOOM
    case.

Noticed that myself in my years there (though I don't think it's as bad crime-wise as the other main cities).

Anyhow, the issue shouldn't be is Limerick better or worse when the stats show it isn't, but rather, why is Limerick portrayed as being much worse? Who gains? I can't imagine it sells that many papers.

Of course it sells. Isnt Paul Mc Williams making a fortune out of it. People have a strange fascination with criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog

My thoughts exactly - a bit of pot kettle black going on.

Jimmy was always a great man for a story on 5 7 live about some fracas or other at limerick courthouse.

Knocka is very tame by comparison. I've lived in both cities and Limerick is far worse. That's my honest opinion and I have the scars to back it up.

Same here sewa but I found Cork far rougher. I lived in the Togher area for a few years as a kid and believe you me, it got nasty after dark.

Quote Originally Posted by skulldrag

Jimmy was always a great man for a story on 5 7 live about some fracas or other at limerick courthouse.

Should we stab him?

Should we stab him?

Very retro Joe, but I thought we shot people now?
    Governments don't ask themselves "what can we do that is good for the people?". They ask themselves "how do we persuade people that what we want to do is good for them?".

Quote Originally Posted by Jenta

Should we stab him?

Very retro Joe, but I thought we shot people now?
    i'll lend you my uzi
    Hi sham, gimme 2 pints of carling, a bottle of bud, and a vodka and orange for the burd

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Fan
    i'll lend you my uzi

Nice one kid, mine's out getting cleaned and my ma borrowed my M16.
    Governments don't ask themselves "what can we do that is good for the people?". They ask themselves "how do we persuade people that what we want to do is good for them?".

Leader of the Red Hordes

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy73

Same here sewa but I found Cork far rougher. I lived in the Togher area for a few years as a kid and believe you me, it got nasty after dark.
    Lived in Togher for a few years; never had any trouble myself but it's not an area you'd feel that safe in. Heard a commotion one evening and looked out the window to see what was going on. There were two guys throwing punches like mad, and a crowd of about 50 cheering them on as the fight went down the road. 'Twas like a scene out of The Quiet Man.

Sin Binned

Togher is cleaned up a lot now.Believe it used to be rough allright.

I dont know much about the virtues of knoca and Toker versus the "rougher" parts of Limerick but my sister lives in Cork and I have been out there quite a it.

I would be quite cautious on a night out in Cork - I certainly would mind my own business far mor than I would at home in Limerick.

It might be my imagination or being more at home in my hometown but I definately find an air of menace around the city centre of Cork at night that I dont find in Limerick.

Dublin is 10 times worse than either though.

Sin Binned

I've seen a full scale riot in limerick with aprox 100 people from the crowd outside supermacs being baton charged by guards and the bouncers throwing ina few digs for good measure.

Munster Praetorian Guard

I've seen a full scale riot in limerick with aprox 100 people from the crowd outside supermacs being baton charged by guards and the bouncers throwing ina few digs for good measure.

See theres another media biased whenever there's a riot in Limerick nothing but when you have one in Dublin the TV cameras are there to film it and all because a few lads from the north wanted a walk
    Is it only a game?
    And its Thomond Park NOT Thomond