Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    so Lansdowne’s All-Weather pitch is unplayable ? WTF
    When the facts don't suit Tonic Wine's argument he picks other random "facts". When these are found not to suit, he picks more random "facts"...... ad infinitum.

Quote Originally Posted by Piquet View Post
    so Lansdowne’s All-Weather pitch is unplayable ? WTF
    Pitch was playable. Aviva stadium management worried about panels being blown off the stadium and didn't want game played

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ormond lad For This Useful Post:

UCC 28 OC 3 ATM. About 10 into the second half, OC just had a man binned.
    The future is bliiiiiinnnnkkkk, the future is Axel.

"All scrums are sexy." - Nuke.

Terrible call by the ref, worth noting. Man tackled into in-goal.

If it's a ruck*, the ball is on the ground, so scrum five.

If not on the ground, penalty, not releasing.

He treated it as a ruck, ball on the ground - when you can't have a ruck in-goal. V. poor.

Anyway, 33-3, now.

47-3, ft.

Munster Praetorian Guard fishooks12's Avatar
    Cashel beat Barnhall 18-14
    AKA Ugo Monye Spacecraft Experience

Munster Berserker
    Richmond won 14-6 against SLigo

Huge win for Garryowen yesterday, thoroughly deserved, we weren't anywhere near good enough to be worth talking about. Garryowen continue to improve. Good win for Dolphin against con pulling them away from danger some bit. Bohs looked to have been involved in the most entertaining game of the weekend, played in UL on the 4G pitch it finshed 39-34 to Bohs against Malone. Old Crescent did their survival chances no good with a 47-3 loss to UCC. Cashel beat than 2nd place Barnhall at home which was a superb result. With Bruff's game off they are 7 behind OC with 2 games in hand against fellow relegation canditates. Will be a very intersting run in should they win those two games.. Nenagh with a massive win against Thomond in what seemed a tit for tat contest, Nenagh winning by a point whilst Thomond had a lot of chances. Richmond had a solid win away to Sligo seems them climb to 8th whilst Thomond remain 3rd and Nenagh look set for 2A next season barring an all merciful cock-up.

Serious typo on Munster rugby website, scoreline should read Highfield 12 Banbridge 19
    Highfield
    fought back from being 14-5 down at half time to earn a losing bonus after going down to a 171-2 home defeat by Banbridge, Ben Murphy and Kevin Foyle scored tries for the 'Field and Ian O'Donoghue kicked a conversion.

Great win for us. Nenagh gave a lot of stupid penalties away and Thomond could easily have won. Still 4 points in the bag which is all that matters. Armagh and Greystones the next 2 games. Both will be very tough but both are in Nenagh which is very helpful

For me grey stones is your biggest challenge. Two good sides though and two very tough games. Hope ye win them though ye deserve top spot and everything that comes with it.... Promotion to 2a

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed12 For This Useful Post:

Good to hear Frankie Sheahan on Against the Head urging people to go to AIL games. Deaf ears methinks

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 5eight For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 5eight View Post
    Good to hear Frankie Sheahan on Against the Head urging people to go to AIL games. Deaf ears methinks
    An agent promoting his players at the same time!

Shannon beat Blackrock 19-18 in 1B
    Any other results?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ormond lad For This Useful Post:

Good result considering shannon were winning the original
    http://www.twitter.com/MacL0ve

Irish by birth...MUNSTER by the Grace of God..with Black and Blue Blood

Leader of the Red Hordes NiallGK's Avatar
    UCD 16 Garryowen 3. 28 min. Garryowen with man in the bin.
    Tommy O'Donnell - David Wallace Mk. 2.

Leader of the Red Hordes NiallGK's Avatar
    FT. UCD 26 Garryowen 20. BP keeps the chances of staying up alive.
    Tommy O'Donnell - David Wallace Mk. 2.

Con 24 (4T) Belvo 26 (3T) 4-2 to Belvo.

and Rollers gets a round of applause on his last match in Templehill
    Last edited by Piquet; 1st-March-2014 at 17:39.
    When the facts don't suit Tonic Wine's argument he picks other random "facts". When these are found not to suit, he picks more random "facts"...... ad infinitum.

Nenagh beat Armagh 20-18. Delighted to get 4 points. Finished game with 14 men following a 2nd yellow card for A Grey.
    Super win to come back from 2 early trys down.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ormond lad For This Useful Post:

Young Munster 24 Lansdowne 21.YM win with last minute try after trailing 21-3 half time.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to sudbrookboy For This Useful Post:

Great Shogun of the Red Empire sewa's Avatar
    Go on the busses
    #bringourboyshome

Rob Murphy has info from the IRFU AIL review which has just been released. What do people think of the findings?
    http://www.knockon.ie/2014/03/03/irf...view-document/
    - possible aim to reduce numbers of senior clubs to 40 by 2020
    - introduction of entry criteria where all clubs must apply for entry to the league every May, regardless of their league position.
    - new player points system introduced with a cap limit for each squad, the longer a player remains at a club, the lower his pints value. Players who move frequently, or overseas players would have a higher points value.
    - Play off system returns in Division 1a to crown champions and in other three Divisions to decide second promotion spot.

Quote Originally Posted by ormond lad View Post
    Rob Murphy has info from the IRFU AIL review which has just been released. What do people think of the findings?
    http://www.knockon.ie/2014/03/03/irf...view-document/
    - possible aim to reduce numbers of senior clubs to 40 by 2020
    - introduction of entry criteria where all clubs must apply for entry to the league every May, regardless of their league position.
    - new player points system introduced with a cap limit for each squad, the longer a player remains at a club, the lower his pints value. Players who move frequently, or overseas players would have a higher points value.
    - Play off system returns in Division 1a to crown champions and in other three Divisions to decide second promotion spot.
    40 clubs ? Still too many, and even at that, I'll believe it when I see it. Not sure about that player cap either.

College beat Queens, away, btw. Now in fourth, but four points off second with a home game in hand. Whoever wins the replayed game against Ballymena will go second.

Quote Originally Posted by Point View Post
    40 clubs ? Still too many, and even at that, I'll believe it when I see it. Not sure about that player cap either.
    40 clubs would be fine. 4 divisions of 10 to give 18 league games plus 1 weekend of finals/playoffs. Add in 5-8 rounds of cup games(charity cups/senior cup) and you have 25-30 weeks of season
    What would you see it go down to?
    12 clubs dropping from current senior set up across the provinces would greatly boost junior leagues.
    Player points system is something I really like but the college's would really be affected which would be interesting

40 clubs would be fine. 4 divisions of 10 to give 18 league games plus 1 weekend of finals/playoffs. Add in 5-8 rounds of cup games(charity cups/senior cup) and you have 25-30 weeks of season
    12 clubs dropping from current senior set up across the provinces would greatly boost junior leagues.
    Player points system is something I really like but the college's would really be affected which would be interesting
    I think 4 divisions and 40 teams is still too much. Getting promoted into the Ail has been a bad option for some clubs. Its all well and good at the start to be travelling away and playing teams after getting promoted but money and amateur players struggle after a while. Its hard enough get a team to travel from one end of Connacht to another. But the costs involved and some players just cant commit to the time.
    I'd be happier with 20 teams of two divisions with proper funding. Let the provinces continue on within themselves.
    A two cup competitions one for Junior clubs and one for Senior clubs like the Fa cup in the Soccer would provide great days away without killing the funds.
    My club at home was once plying its trade in the Ail when it was at its peak. Its now a fine Junior club and recovering after a few bad years. While the club isnt performing at the same level its now competitive and the costs of the first team isnt dominating the club. If a class player comes along and wants to move onto greener pasture so be it and best of luck.
    The roads are better but Im not sure the long distances travelled by teams is helping Irish rugby and its development.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

From a financial sustainability pov, I'd go down to 24 teams, with 3 divisions of 8, home & away. The others go back to Provincial Senior leagues. Plus an All-Ireland Cup starting from the J1s (a bit like the FA Cup). Continual with the AIL playoffs to allow movement.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Point For This Useful Post:

BTW, I note Wanderers have blown through the Leinster J1. 13 games, 13 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I think 4 divisions and 40 teams is still too much. Getting promoted into the Ail has been a bad option for some clubs. Its all well and good at the start to be travelling away and playing teams after getting promoted but money and amateur players struggle after a while. Its hard enough get a team to travel from one end of Connacht to another. But the costs involved and some players just cant commit to the time.
    I'd be happier with 20 teams of two divisions with proper funding. Let the provinces continue on within themselves.
    A two cup competitions one for Junior clubs and one for Senior clubs like the Fa cup in the Soccer would provide great days away without killing the funds.
    My club at home was once plying its trade in the Ail when it was at its peak. Its now a fine Junior club and recovering after a few bad years. While the club isnt performing at the same level its now competitive and the costs of the first team isnt dominating the club. If a class player comes along and wants to move onto greener pasture so be it and best of luck.
    The roads are better but Im not sure the long distances travelled by teams is helping Irish rugby and its development.
    I disagree. Even if you dropped the numbers to 40 there would be clubs who after a season or two at senior level see things as a bad option to be senior.
    I think 40 teams is about right. 52 was way too many and 48 was probably too much especially when only 1/2 teams got promoted/relegated.
    Maybe smaller divisions with a cup competition or two would be great and something different for clubs to aim towards especially for clubs who after 4/5 weeks of the league are both safe from relegation and will not be promoted

Quote Originally Posted by Point View Post
    BTW, I note Wanderers have blown through the Leinster J1. 13 games, 13 wins.
    They always were going to one of the seasons. Just hope they in someway have built up the ranks and not just bought their way back to senior..

I disagree. Even if you dropped the numbers to 40 there would be clubs who after a season or two at senior level see things as a bad option to be senior.
    I think 40 teams is about right. 52 was way too many and 48 was probably too much especially when only 1/2 teams got promoted/relegated.
    Maybe smaller divisions with a cup competition or two would be great and something different for clubs to aim towards especially for clubs who after 4/5 weeks of the league are both safe from relegation and will not be promoted
    The problem is, as I see it, by having so many teams in the AIL, you're forcing too many teams to fundraise to compete in competitions that they will never be successful in. Apart from the odd bolter, it is usually the same faces. All we are doing is forcing them to spend the majority of the fundraised money that comes into the club, on the senior team, and preparation for the senior team. And for what ? To either stay in the AIL division they are in and avoid relegation, or a mostly futile hope of promotion. How many players have been "discovered" solely from playing AIL in what I would call the modern era (post 2000) ? Very, very few. Most Pro squads are made up of players who have come through the system, having been identified at underage and channelled through the academies, and told to join Div 1 teams.

That money coming into those clubs could be better spent on the underage, and encouraging the "rebirth" of community spirit, rather than the rat race that the AIL has become. Others have spoken how clubs that had 3 and 4 adult teams 20 years ago, are doing well to have 2 nowadays. That's where the majority of clubs should be focusing their attention on.

It needs the IRFU to show the backbone that they have never shown before, and take responsibility for the game.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Point For This Useful Post:

Spot on point, A more social rugby environment should be developed. There are far more young players playing rugby throughout the country now. They should be encouraged to continue playing as long as they can. A larger adult rugby population will be mean healthier clubs.
    While many of these lads will not play for Ail or big clubs it does provide a stepping stone for the odd gem to make it through.
    The more young players playing the game will have to benefit Ireland in the long term.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post: