Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Ronan O'Gara The legend!

I know there are other threads about him but this one should be dedicated to his entire career!

As he has been left out of the Irish squad, this may be it for great one!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munster14 For This Useful Post:

Erm, we don't need another one(IMO)....he's still a Munster player and has some massive games hopefully left for us!
    Seas suas agus troid!

Quote Originally Posted by LLCOOLJ14 View Post
    Erm, we don't need another one(IMO)....he's still a Munster player and has some massive games hopefully left for us!
    It's only a matter of time before he calls time on both. I just think it's sad that after all these great years he's given to Irish rugby, He gets dropped all of a sudden. It's definitely the end of an era.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Quote Originally Posted by munster14 View Post
    It's only a matter of time before he calls time on both. I just think it's sad that after all these great years he's given to Irish rugby, He gets dropped all of a sudden. It's definitely the end of an era.
    It'd also be insulting to let him play badly only out of a sense of nostalgia, and I don't think he'd go for that if it was the case.

Munster Berserker
    Hopefully this will further energise him for Munster

Kidney is MOD EDIT

^^^^^ i would have expected to see that on.Leinster forum...circa 2005.....but not here!

Or Dragons forum circa 2004
    "Lads, your not to miss practice unless your parents died or you died" Frank Leahy

Quote Originally Posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
    ^^^^^ i would have expected to see that on.Leinster forum...circa 2005.....but not here!

well he did just turn his back on a player who has given him the best years of his life!

Great Shogun of the Red Empire sewa's Avatar
    Why not wait until he is retired for this? Plenty more games in red
    David Wallace, James Coughlan - Heroes, Jonathan Davies

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sewa For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomh903 View Post
    Kidney is MOD EDIT
    Your puerile concerns are of no interest to anyone.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ratbastard For This Useful Post:

In the Departure Lounge Old Dog's Avatar

Or in one of Shaggy's or Mal O'Kelly's tweets. Kidney collects enemies the way a Vegas hooker collects STIs.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Dog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Or in one of Shaggy's or Mal O'Kelly's tweets. Kidney collects enemies the way a Vegas hooker collects STIs.
    That's what happens when you tell the truth to people.
    The future is bliiiiiinnnnkkkk, the future is Axel.

"All scrums are sexy." - Nuke.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomond78 For This Useful Post:

well he did just turn his back on a player who has given him the best years of his life!
    He dropped a player that was playing poorly. Nothing more.
    "Lads, your not to miss practice unless your parents died or you died" Frank Leahy

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NotreDameRFC For This Useful Post:

As he did Bull, and Axel, and Stringer, and many others. It comes to us all, in time, and there's no shame in getting old.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomond78 For This Useful Post:

and replaced him with a player who has around a 20 per cent success rate how does that make sense?!?!?!?

and replaced him with a player who has around a 20 per cent success rate how does that make sense?!?!?!?
    Because everyone gets old, and everyone eventually loses their place to someone with a lower success rate, because that replacement is only starting out. It happens, and it's part of life, never mind sport. Sport is, in part, there to teach you how to deal with it.

There is never any shame in not being able to do it any more because you're old. The shame is not having done all you could while you could.

And by Christ, ROG has, longer and better than anyone has any right to.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Thomond78 For This Useful Post:

If you love Rog then it won't make sense.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NotreDameRFC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thomond78 View Post
    Because everyone gets old, and everyone eventually loses their place to someone with a lower success rate, because that replacement is only starting out. It happens, and it's part of life, never mind sport. Sport is, in part, there to teach you how to deal with it.

There is never any shame in not being able to do it any more because you're old. The shame is not having done all you could while you could.

And by Christ, ROG has, longer and better than anyone has any right to.
    well all Im saying is the most successful outhalf in test history does not deserve to get dropped from a tournament thats already lost.

well all Im saying is the most successful outhalf in test history does not deserve to get dropped from a tournament thats already lost.
    You don't own the jersey. If you can't keep it any more, it's given to someone else, just as it was given to you in turn, and just as it will in turn be taken from the person to whom it is now given. You don't get extra time in for sentiment, because that's just a lie with a fuzzy coating. And probably the single worst dishonour you could do to ROG's starkly honest, ferociously-competitive career would be a soft lie instead of a hard truth.

I doubt he sees it that way; no-one with that competitive edge would. That's why he went down fighting, and that's the way it should be.

Leader of the Red Hordes FORWARD....'s Avatar
    Legend......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-03 at 20.45.01.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	325.1 KB 
ID:	5605

One of my favourite ROG moments. Hopefully, he'll have a few more playing highlights in the red jersey to contribute, so they can wait until he retires.
    Last edited by FORWARD....; 3rd-March-2013 at 20:49.
    "There's a time to play heads-up rugby. It's after you've made your opponent duck. Not before." Red October Oct 14 2013

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FORWARD.... For This Useful Post:

Admiral of the Fleet blackwarrior's Avatar
    What players "deserve" and the needs of professional rugby aren't related. Yes, Kidney hasn't covered himself in glory on this one, but ROG's repuation entitles him to little if his form, over several games, is not up to international standard. He knows thatt.

No doubt there'll be a thread up here after season-end to pay tribute to the great man, but I doubt that this is it, because it's already descending into ill-tempered posts on the first page.
    "Playing against ROG, your big game plan is to try and pressure him but he’d dump it off to Wally and next thing you’re five metres behind the gain line because he was an absolute freak." Rory Best, Irish Examiner, May 2012

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire The Outlaw's Avatar
    I think the bigger issue is the coaching meltdown.

Its hard to believe that Kidney gave into the media for the Scotland selection.

Had ROG played we'd have won and he might still have a job.
    Connacht Rugby

"Live to win. Born to lose"

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire the plastic paddy's Avatar
    I don't want to p'ss on the fella but ROG is not playing well enough to be in the Ireland squad and it would be disrespectful to his 120+ caps were he to earn two more because of what he did in the past rather than what he can do now. I am not going to write the man off because I would love it more than anything if he won us the QF in London.

Maybe ROG pulled out of the squad.
    Its odd the IRFU naming squads on a sunday morning.
    It was suggested to me by a very unreliable source.

Munster Praetorian Guard jeepers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Outlaw View Post

Most the media were saying that ROG should start?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepers For This Useful Post:

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire the plastic paddy's Avatar

Can't agree with that Outlaw. I am done with bitching about ROG but the way the Scots targeted him as soon as he came on was fecking brutal!!

Munster Praetorian Guard jeepers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barleys chinos View Post
    Maybe ROG pulled out of the squad.
    Its odd the IRFU naming squads on a sunday morning.
    It was suggested to me by a very unreliable source.
    I must say that crossed my mind. It seems rather pointless not including him in the squad - lots of players in there who haven't a chance of making the matchday squad.

Interesting tweet from Brian Moore: Ronan O'Gara not in Irish squad v France - if this is the end of his international career - well done and thanks for all he has given.

And he is slapping down anyone criticising ROG, hard. Moore's respect is not easily won, and respect of that kind from him says it all.

Edit: he has now updated his Profile description to read "Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.".

Aye, well. 2 Timothy 4:7 - I have fought the good fight, I have stayed the course, I have kept the faith. G'wan ROG.
    Last edited by Thomond78; 3rd-March-2013 at 22:06.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thomond78 For This Useful Post:

What media do you digest? The media was predominantly critical of Kidney for selecting Jackson over ROG.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ratbastard For This Useful Post:

Leader of the Red Hordes NiallGK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomond78 View Post
    Interesting tweet from Brian Moore: Ronan O'Gara not in Irish squad v France...
    RTE are tonight reporting that ROG has "been dropped" by DK.
    Tommy O'Donnell - David Wallace Mk. 2.