Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My name is Mandy and I live with my mom! i_like_cake's Avatar

How Screwed are Munster without ROG.....

The man is a true great............

But what happens without him.... I worry..
    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to i_like_cake For This Useful Post:

Dont like to think about it. Hard enough to sleep as it is even at night. As I said on another tread his playing yesterday was awesome. He directed the show without seeming to make an effort. I compare him to Napoleon running his armies. What we should do is set up a site where we show recordings of all of the kicks he has missed because I dont think the web is big enough to hold all of the ones hes landed. The great thing is assuming no injuries hell be around for a good while yet. Hes in great condition and playing better than he has done in the past couple of years. Keep the leg swinging Ronan!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fullmumhan For This Useful Post:

Get a backs coach and make use of the talent that you have from 11 out! You've got the players for a more high tempo, try scoring game - it's not ronan's natural game but it could be the way forward after him!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to joconnell For This Useful Post:

Leader of the Red Hordes Boo-boo's Avatar
    I did not worry when we had Warwick. now...I worry too.
    Valuable Lesson 1: Perpignan. hanging over a balcony, Me: "...at least we'll have the losing bonus point"
    Secondrowgal: "It's not over yet!". Next: JJ crossing the whitewash. That'll learn me.

It's a bit of a tough one alright - at the mo the winning streak is pretty long with the munster squad but some of the wins have been so skin of the teeth I'd say the coaches are hesitant to give keatley the game time he needs right now. Rog is the difference in a fair few of the wins this season so they'd be hard pressed to drop him, even though it's for the long term benefit of the club. Hopefully after this season they can start making a few of the painful calls and build with the next generation of players coming through.

There's only one ROG but give Keatley 100 HEC games and he'd be handy too i'd say.
    For the over the hill and the past-it, nothing is impossible.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rathbaner For This Useful Post:

Munster Wine Growers NZ skinnyryan's Avatar
    How Screwed are Munster without ROG..... Screwed !!!!!

Leader of the Red Hordes Paddy Whac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rathbaner View Post
    There's only one ROG but give Keatley 100 HEC games and he'd be handy too i'd say.
    but it didn't take ROG a hundred H/Cup games to be GREAT. Sometimes I wonder in his prime was he ever appreciated by the masses.

AS Henry Ford once said.........He who cannot be done without cannot be promoted.
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Admiral of the Fleet Mack the Knife's Avatar
    With or without him according to the brethern over on Ulster Fans we neednt bother even showing up for the 1/4 final.
    Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2012

“The more you near your destination, the more you slip-slide away.” —Paul Simon

Admiral of the Fleet
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Whac View Post
    but it didn't take ROG a hundred H/Cup games to be GREAT. Sometimes I wonder in his prime was he ever appreciated by the masses.
    Funny that. Just thinking similarly as I watched yesterdays match. But obviously we are now looking at him in a totally different light. After the 100+ HEC games there is only one word to describe our hero. LIGIND.
    Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Leader of the Red Hordes isola ciarrai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rathbaner View Post
    By the time ROG actually retires young JJ will be at 10 - just you watch.
    A bomb under the West car park at Twickenham on an international day would end fascism in England for a generation.
    Philip Toynbee
    Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent. Wittgenstein,

17. The Following User Says Thank You to isola ciarrai For This Useful Post:

Yep - tbh you're not gonna get a ROG again, there are very few 10's that are so strongly kicking orientated as him. He had limitations as a fly half in terms of his speed and strength so he really worked as hard as he could to maximise the areas of the game he was really strong at and I wonder if you're ever going to see similar again.

This thread is the perfect compliment to the BOD is the greatest thread. FFS when ROG retires we will get another 10 and build our game around the new circumstances and adapt.......thats what teams do.
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

I`m gonna seriously miss ROG when he retires. At the risk of sounding like a school boy, he has always been my favourite player down through the years. There are certain players that are just Munster to the core and he is one of them. One of the things i`ll miss, besides all the obvious kicks and performances, is his interviews. He`s one of the only players who you know wont blow s**te in an interview and will speak exactly whats on his mind. He wears his heart on his sleeve and it`s refreshing to listen to someone like him speak after a game. One of my personal favourites was a few months back when he did an interview for either the Times or the Independent (cant remember which) and the heading was "I`m not a rugby player, I`m a Munster rugby player". Legend.

As for how will Munster cope without him, well we`ll prob struggle at first but the team will adapt and move on as any good team does. We`ll move on but we wont forget!!
    Last edited by BOK; 20th-February-2012 at 06:29.
    "We've got to be really careful we get our backyard right before we start looking over the fence."

Rob Penney - Rugby coach and Philosopher

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire the plastic paddy's Avatar
    If Conor Murray is the place kicker people say he is and, given what I have seen of his natural abilities in other areas, I would not be at all surprised, should the management be looking to get him kicking? Keatley has a massive boot but seems to lack a bit for accuracy and certainly doesn't seem to hold his nerve like ROG but very few do!!!! However, all the options should have at least 2 years to run as I could certainly see ROG playing until the summer of 2014, if not longer!!

Good point about the kicking. We probably have let developing that side of players go with others than Ronan as all you have to do is throw the ball to him if it is in range and walk back and add on the points. Another point which I admire in him is that he doesnt go over the top when he scores or wins a game. He might give a smile for a rabbo winner, raise an arm for a hienekin result and maybe jump once for a cup win. None of the running around making fists at people. The other point above about him being lighter is correct. You can compare Ronan to Jonny Wilkenson for England and now Toulon. Wilkinson regularly tackled people who were four or five stone bigger and even making good tackles you suffer the consequences and its sad now to see the number of injuries hes shifted. Ronan tackles when it is essential and leaves the rest to the back row forwards whos job it is to do so. Thats a sign of his real ability to read the game and we benefit as a consequence with Ronan still at his peak.

This question always comes up when a key player moves into his thirties,But like every other key player when the time comes im sure we will have a replacement, Youll See.
    THE IRISH WOULD HAVE RULED THE WORLD, IF THEY NEVER INVENTED THE PUB

Munster Dog of War
    Thats what I love,Ulster are good no doubt and they may well beat Munster [every game is 50 .50 at kickoff] but what do all these teams have in common? Wasps ,Gloucester ,Sale ,Scarlets ,Northhampton ,Leinster and dare I say it Ulster to name but a few .Answer? They,ve all come to Thomond talking the talk but only leicester [when it did,nt matter] and Quins walked the walk.As already stated they could win but my God to listen to them you,d think they already had .So nothing new then.
    I taught the stig to drive

Admiral of the Fleet Waterfordlad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mack the Knife View Post
    With or without him according to the brethern over on Ulster Fans we neednt bother even showing up for the 1/4 final.
    That's fightin' talk!! Bring it on!
    The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately

Quote Originally Posted by fullmumhan View Post
    Good point about the kicking. We probably have let developing that side of players go with others than Ronan as all you have to do is throw the ball to him if it is in range and walk back and add on the points. Another point which I admire in him is that he doesnt go over the top when he scores or wins a game. He might give a smile for a rabbo winner, raise an arm for a hienekin result and maybe jump once for a cup win. None of the running around making fists at people. The other point above about him being lighter is correct. You can compare Ronan to Jonny Wilkenson for England and now Toulon. Wilkinson regularly tackled people who were four or five stone bigger and even making good tackles you suffer the consequences and its sad now to see the number of injuries hes shifted. Ronan tackles when it is essential and leaves the rest to the back row forwards whos job it is to do so. Thats a sign of his real ability to read the game and we benefit as a consequence with Ronan still at his peak.
    He tackles in the old fashioned, safe manner for a smaller man on bigger opponents and as a result has, touch wood missed very little rugby over his career; the contrast with Wilkinson could not be more stark!!!! As you say fullmumhan, he has left the big 'Hits' to the BR whose job it is but I have never seen him duck out of a challenge or p*ss off and hide on the wing. One other thing that is overlooked as well with ROG, is that for all he is supposedly unpopular with other teams etc, what was the first thing he did after Jones missed that kick in the GS game? Straight up to console him, so a sportsman as well. And I will not forget the way he looked after Paul Derbyshire at the ML final in May, his only concern was looking after his friend and he lavished the sort of attention you would see from a son looking after his frail father. A great man indeed!!!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the plastic paddy For This Useful Post:

Talking of kickers where was Keatley this weekend? Is he injured?
    4 Feb 2011 - Gilmore on the General Election

"Frankfurts way or Labours way."

28 Feb 2012 - Gilmore on a yes vote for the fiscal treaty

"A vote for economic stability and a vote for economic recovery."

Quote Originally Posted by McCloud View Post
    I wondered that too. Saw no reports anywhere of him being injured. I know other up-and-coming players need gametime too but harsh to leave him out of the squad entirely.
    Céard a ceapfá, Jerry?

Paul O'Connell can get toothpaste out of an onion. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by McCloud View Post
    Think someone said he picked up a knock the weekend before; he will be needed on Friday which is live on BBC 2 Wales Channel 991 for those in UK, hooray!!!!!!!

Didnt mean to imply that he dodged tackles far from it but he knows when he has to make that tackle and when he can depend on those whos job it is. On the kicking we shouldnt overlook his defense line kicking. You saw it in the match on Saturday when he kept getting behind the Treviso defense and either got the bounce into touch as deep as possible or else gave our runners a chance to put pressure. Forced them to give away some juicy defensive kicks/lineouts too. Agree too about being sporting thats what I meant he doesnt gloat or stick in peoples faces doesnt need to. He lets his rugby do the talking and is very articulated as a consequence.

We've been saying it for years that if ROG gets injured we're f*cked! Personally I'd have more confidence in Deasy at OH. I still think he will take over ROG's mantle. I've always been a fan and I think if he got a run in the side we would really get to see what he's like.
    'I never forget a fa​ce, but in your case I’d be glad to make an exception' - Groucho Marx

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire Cowboy's Avatar
    "O'Gara made his Munster debut against Connacht in August 1997, scoring 19 points.[2] Current Munster and Ireland teammate David Wallace also made his debut in this game. His European debut came against Harlequins in September 1997 in the 1997-98 Heineken Cup"

The two boys have been there since the beginning of this era and I think it is fitting that they should end it beyond all the 'liginds and stalwarts' Its typical of O'Gara to play longer than the rest, the mans competitive element has never ever waned, he's as hungry for glory now as he was almost 15 years ago.

His game isn't based on speed or physicality and for all the hammering he's taken during his defensive duties he has two good shoulders and all the other limbs have never given trouble. There is no reason why he couldnt outstrip Mike Catt or any other geriatric for the golden oldie outhalf. I dont see him slowing down for a long time yet, the man is dependable and his form is almost mechanically constant.

Look at his reaction to the Sexton
    tête-à-tête, other players in that situation would have said they'd their stint done and that was fair enough lets make room for the youngster, not ROG though, he was pissed, he's a vicious competitor and thats why he'll last.
    I am the million man.

I believe this song sums him up well!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cedgd4Qtuw

35. The Following User Says Thank You to eddie dillon For This Useful Post:

That's epic work!
    Céard a ceapfá, Jerry?

Paul O'Connell can get toothpaste out of an onion. Fact.

when he goes, we'll adapt, thats the nature of things. we may lose a few games we might have otherwise won in the short term unfortunately.

does anyone have a pic/clip of ROG standing on the sidelines a few years back drinking water(or whatever) while his knee was getting stitched up?