Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 122
  1. #1

    Brian O'Driscoll - The Greatest?

    Simple question really. Brian O'Driscoll, is he the greatest Irish player of all time. And if not, who is?

    For me, he is, easily.

  2. #2
    Leader of the Red Hordes manofmunster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Eritrea
    Phillip Danaher
    "Just to be clear, Poite is an idiot" The Plastic Paddy 11-04-2012

  3. #3
    Fish Poaching Patrol Benji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    The best Ive seen play. His leadership in winning the Grand Slam will always be something I'll remember about him. Great to watch him play.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

  4. #4
    Admiral of the Fleet Valencia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    I'd have to say Yes, with notable mentions to Mike Gibson, Paul O'Connell & Ronan O'Gara
    Con Artist

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    I'd have to say Yes, with notable mentions to Mike Gibson, Paul O'Connell & Ronan O'Gara
    O'Driscoll is the greatest I've seen but I think that O'Gara has been slightly unlucky in being around at the same time as BOD. I think O'Gara is definitely one of the greatest Irish players ever. I'd rate O'Connell after those two.

  6. #6
    People scoff at the "golden generation" term, but at any other time in Irish Rugby History, either of ROG and POC would have been called "once in a generation" players. Would have been the best player we had by miles and would have earned the respect they have now and then some as they would have stood out even more as individuals much the way Parrisse does at Italy. Or Johnny did with England.
    To have the three of them on the one team at the one time is mindblowing when u think of what went before them. These 3 are THE definition of the Golden Generation. When you add the likes of Wally, DOC, Heaslip, Bowe etc to that.....and in recently past times also add Wavin to that list and Bull to a certain extent.

    But without question, the greatest of them all and the likes of which really wont ever see again, is BOD. A phenom!

  7. #7
    You could not praise him highly enough,,, a class act..

  8. #8
    Matt Mostyn would be up there as well I think

  9. #9
    Moderator Balla Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Hands down. A reasonable shout for best player of all time, full stop.

    Much as it seems harsh to say it, I don't see POC or ROG as being on the same level. POC warrants comparison with any lock going, and is there with WJ as our best lock ever. But alongside Johnson, Matfield, Thorn he is what he is - a truly great international lock.

    Those sorts of comparisons are always qualified for ROG, particularly in comparison to Carter.

    For BOD though, I don't think there are comparators in his generation from anywhere.

    Across attack and defence, with leadership thrown in, he is/was perfection attained in his position. Which puts him in a very elite group.

    Jones, Brooke, Edwards, Campese...he's the only one if the three you could put in that company.

    Gibson comes closest as an Irish player, for my money.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

    "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


    "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

  10. #10
    Without a doubt the best player I've ever seen....then I'd have Wood, Wallace, POC in order and if Simon Geoghegan had played in a decent team I'd say he would have been seen as the best winger we've ever had.

  11. #11
    Anyone else think he could genuinely do a job for Ireland at 7 !
    I mean if Wally can play centre..............!!!

    Savage on the ground, strong as a horse, obviously can carry ball.........!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedub View Post
    Without a doubt the best player I've ever seen....then I'd have Wood, Wallace, POC in order and if Simon Geoghegan had played in a decent team I'd say he would have been seen as the best winger we've ever had.
    If Wavin had stayed injury free he would have made Geoghan look ordinary

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    Anyone else think he could genuinely do a job for Ireland at 7 !
    I mean if Wally can play centre..............!!!

    Savage on the ground, strong as a horse, obviously can carry ball.........!
    If he played at 7 I'd say he would have been at the level of McCaw...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedub View Post
    If he played at 7 I'd say he would have been at the level of McCaw...
    Could Munstefans.com have solved the Irish Back Row problem for our trip to NZ in the summer!!!!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackdaniels View Post
    If Wavin had stayed injury free he would have made Geoghan look ordinary
    He didn't though did he?

    p.s. Hilarious and all as the above nickname is, isn't there are harder line being taken against the use of such monikers?

    Never in the history of mankind have so few written so much about so little.



  16. #16
    The one who knocks Captain Average's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Middle of nowhere
    Greatest player I've ever seen anyway. Without any doubt.
    So much so that I cringe when I hear somebody say "the next Brian O'Driscoll" when talking about some up and coming young player.
    Firstly, that's an unfair burden to put on a kid's shoulders, and secondly, we will most likely never produce somebody at the same level again.
    We will never replace Brian O'Driscoll. Somebody though, will have the not so enviable task of taking over from Brian O'Driscoll.
    You don't need eyes to see. You need vision.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Hands down. A reasonable shout for best player of all time, full stop.Much as it seems harsh to say it, I don't see POC or ROG as being on the same level. POC warrants comparison with any lock going, and is there with WJ as our best lock ever. But alongside Johnson, Matfield, Thorn he is what he is - a truly great international lock. Those sorts of comparisons are always qualified for ROG, particularly in comparison to Carter.For BOD though, I don't think there are comparators in his generation from anywhere. Across attack and defence, with leadership thrown in, he is/was perfection attained in his position. Which puts him in a very elite group.Jones, Brooke, Edwards, Campese...he's the only one if the three you could put in that company. Gibson comes closest as an Irish player, for my money.
    Couldn't have put it better.BOD Gibson and Willie John would be my top 3.
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

  18. #18
    Admiral of the Fleet Valencia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Who the hell is Wavin?

    David Wallace another class act
    Con Artist

  19. #19
    denis hickie
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Who the hell is Wavin?

    Never in the history of mankind have so few written so much about so little.



  21. #21
    Mike Gibson was the classiest
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

  22. #22
    What about Slattery. BOD is certainly up there but Slattery and Mike Gibson would be ahead.

  23. #23
    BOD, truely a great player (being honest he could have been greater I do think, fitness was poor for a while) and yes probably the best Irish player of the professional era certainly.

    I do think Wallace is one of the best players we have ever produced also and would be a close second for me. BODs part in the grandslam was big but if you watch some of the games the amount of ground Wallace covered and the speed he was getting to every breakdown it was phenominal

  24. #24
    Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire Cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Out riding
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedub View Post
    If he played at 7 I'd say he would have been at the level of McCaw...
    But spent even more time on the treatment table. He throws his body into things like a loon, he'd have crocked himself even more than he already has done if he was in the pack
    I am the million man.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedub View Post
    If he played at 7 I'd say he would have been at the level of McCaw...
    He'd have made Pope presumably had he been blessed with a vocation

    Never in the history of mankind have so few written so much about so little.



  26. The Following User Says Thank You to John Cooper Clarke For This Useful Post:


  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Average View Post
    Greatest player I've ever seen anyway. Without any doubt.
    So much so that I cringe when I hear somebody say "the next Brian O'Driscoll" when talking about some up and coming young player.
    Firstly, that's an unfair burden to put on a kid's shoulders, and secondly, we will most likely never produce somebody at the same level again.
    We will never replace Brian O'Driscoll. Somebody though, will have the not so enviable task of taking over from Brian O'Driscoll.
    Isnt Darren Cave the current incumbent......??!!

  28. #27
    Munster Dog of War
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Addis Ababa
    Wouldnt put Slattery in that class at all. Good player but maybe not even the greatest in his position. Gibson possibly the only one I saw playing who would be in BODs league.
    Quote Originally Posted by COLLA View Post
    What about Slattery. BOD is certainly up there but Slattery and Mike Gibson would be ahead.

  29. #28
    Admiral of the Fleet Upfront_1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
    BOD, truely a great player (being honest he could have been greater I do think, fitness was poor for a while) and yes probably the best Irish player of the professional era certainly.

    I do think Wallace is one of the best players we have ever produced also and would be a close second for me. BODs part in the grandslam was big but if you watch some of the games the amount of ground Wallace covered and the speed he was getting to every breakdown it was phenominal
    you could also argue that wallace would not have had the latitude to make all that ground if BOD was not on the pitch doing so much groundwork.
    Don't think we will see his like again but hope to be proven wrong.
    First ever Rugby game I watched was his hat trick against France, he's probably responsible for me finding my favourite hobby/obsession
    The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
    - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

  30. #29
    Wally is a legend. One of Munsters all time greats, but anyone putting him in the same league as BOD is kidding themselves.
    The only Munster player of the last 15 years to come even close to the same class as BOD is ROG. And he isnt there either.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackdaniels For This Useful Post:


  32. #30
    upfront you could make arguments like that for any team sport about players.

    JD, fair enough but wallace for me is one of the all time greats. I did say he was second to BOD but I do think hes up there. Just my opinion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •