Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobyglen View Post
    Story going around alright. If true that tabloid should be disgraced.
    Considering the Levinson enquiry that's currently ongoing in the UK this could be a massive nail in the likes of The Sun, Daily Star etc ...

In the Departure Lounge Old Dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Recommend Marcus Trescothick's autobiography, 'coming back to myself' I think it is called. Background, he would probably still be playing cricket for England were it not for his brutal battles with depression. He is still captaining Somerset, very successfully but still can't stay away from home I understand for more than a night or two. Cricket is strange in that tours involved huge periods away from home but it shows how the pressures of sport can affect people.
    Sadly, loads of ex-professional cricketers kill themselves - there are a number of interesting books about this phenomenon - I recommend this one.

"Cricket has an alarming suicide rate. For 30 years, author David Frith has collected data on this sad subject. This is an account of over 100 cricketers - involving top names over 100 years - who have taken their own lives, with an explanation of factors which led to their premature deaths. Can the shocking rate of self-destruction among cricketers be reduced? Can those who run the game do something to save its participants from this dreadful fate? These are among the questions addressed within this catalogue of biographies. Another key area is the theory that cricket itself is to blame for its losses. Or is it that this summer game attracts people of a melancholic and over-sensitive nature? The author attempts to dispel this suggestion. Stoddart, Shrewsbury, Gimblett, Robertson-Glasgow, Bairstow, Trott, Iverson, Barnes - all high-profile cricketers who killed themselves. There remains a sense of disbelief that they did so." [The one that really saddened me was David Bairstow, who I worshipped as a boy.]

Only last week, former Somerset cricketer Peter Roebuck topped himself (albeit in circumstances that seem a lot more murky than in Gary Speed's case. "Sex assault claims emerge in Peter Roebuck death inquest"

I hadn't posted the news of his demise here, as he wouldn't be that well known (other than to Cat).
    I have now jumped the shark. Farewell.

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire the plastic paddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    Sadly, loads of ex-professional cricketers kill themselves - there are a number of interesting books about this phenomenon - I recommend this one.

"Cricket has an alarming suicide rate. For 30 years, author David Frith has collected data on this sad subject. This is an account of over 100 cricketers - involving top names over 100 years - who have taken their own lives, with an explanation of factors which led to their premature deaths. Can the shocking rate of self-destruction among cricketers be reduced? Can those who run the game do something to save its participants from this dreadful fate? These are among the questions addressed within this catalogue of biographies. Another key area is the theory that cricket itself is to blame for its losses. Or is it that this summer game attracts people of a melancholic and over-sensitive nature? The author attempts to dispel this suggestion. Stoddart, Shrewsbury, Gimblett, Robertson-Glasgow, Bairstow, Trott, Iverson, Barnes - all high-profile cricketers who killed themselves. There remains a sense of disbelief that they did so." [The one that really saddened me was David Bairstow, who I worshipped as a boy.]

Only last week, former Somerset cricketer Peter Roebuck topped himself (albeit in circumstances that seem a lot more murky than in Gary Speed's case. "Sex assault claims emerge in Peter Roebuck death inquest"

I hadn't posted the news of his demise here, as he wouldn't be that well known (other than to Cat).
    A very complex character Roebuck, with his penchant for corporal punishment etc but suicide is always a waste and he had turned himself into a very fine writer. David Bairstow was indeed a tragedy and I am delighted to see his son doing so well. Thanks for the book recommendation OD, like David Frith as a cricket writer.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy73 View Post
    Considering the Levinson enquiry that's currently ongoing in the UK this could be a massive nail in the likes of The Sun, Daily Star etc ...
    What is the story with the tabloid in this case?
    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Luke Fitz's Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
    Some are saying he was contacted on Saturday by a tabloid regarding a story they were going to run.
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
    The web rumours are that he was going to be outed by one of the tabloids for being bisexual. Now that's hardly a hanging offence in 2011, but who can tell what was going in his mind. If the rumours are true, then hopefully the UK police will be able to trace any calls made to his phone and name and shame the sleazebag journalist/tabloid involved in this tragedy.

MODS - this is all web rumour/heresay, so feel free to delete if you don't like.

The web rumours are that he was going to be outed by one of the tabloids for being bisexual. Now that's hardly a hanging offence in 2011, but who can tell what was going in his mind. If the rumours are true, then hopefully the UK police will be able to trace any calls made to his phone and name and shame the sleazebag journalist/tabloid involved in this tragedy.

MODS - this is all web rumour/heresay, so feel free to delete if you don't like.
    Web rumours?

Has the internet not taught you anything over the years!?

If it is true, some journo will have blood on his/her hands for the rest of their days. Considering the scum that work in that profession, I'm sure they won't lose too much sleep over it.
    Last edited by tickettout; 29th-November-2011 at 15:40.

Quote Originally Posted by tickettout View Post
    Web rumours?

Has the internet not taught you anything over the years!?
    It has indeed - probably the most important lesson being that there is an awful lot of eejits out there in cyberspace!

I googled "Gary Speed Tabloid" and the fourth entry led me to The Spoof. , a self confessed fictitious website which firstly warns all readers
    " Stop - Warning The story you are trying to access may cause offense, may be in poor taste, or may contain subject matter of a graphic nature. This story was written as a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.To confirm you have acknowledged this warning, and wish to continue to read the article, please click the following link. Continue to story » "

It then goes on " Unconfirmed rumours that internationally loved footballer, Gary Speed was the victim of a Wapping-style gay sting have surfaced on the internet. Not a shred of evidence has so far been produced. Yet public opinion is already verging on fury towards the possible involvement of a tabloid newspaper."

Could this be what has started the rumours?

You'd be surprised how many would have been aware of him, as pp said below your post, very complicated man indeed. I still remember him being at the centre of the whole Judas storm at Somerset, he almost seemed to revel in how many he pissed off.
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Great Chamberlain of the Red Empire the plastic paddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Omer View Post
    You'd be surprised how many would have been aware of him, as pp said below your post, very complicated man indeed. I still remember him being at the centre of the whole Judas storm at Somerset, he almost seemed to revel in how many he pissed off.
    Sometimes wonder whether he was the useful idiot for the suits, they had to get rid of one of Joel Garner or Viv Richards because the rules changed to only one overseas player per club. Anyway, all suicide is a waste and my thoughts are with Gary Speeds family as they come to terms with their dreadful loss.

Quote Originally Posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Sometimes wonder whether he was the useful idiot for the suits, they had to get rid of one of Joel Garner or Viv Richards because the rules changed to only one overseas player per club. Anyway, all suicide is a waste and my thoughts are with Gary Speeds family as they come to terms with their dreadful loss.
    anyone else you'd think they'd been used but Roebuck wasn't a daft man at all, I don't think he was anyone's mug
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"