Peter Stringer was dropped. For 10 years he had been the Munster
    No 9. Others wore the jersey in that time knowing that it belonged to
    Stringer. He had started every pool match that season. Then, without
    him, Munster won. Two months later they lifted the trophy. In their
    three knock-out matches Stringer didnít leave the bench. Not for a
    minute. Not needed. Suddenly.

Nobody suggested that the marriage of Stringer and Munster was at
    an end but in the family home they were sleeping in different rooms
    and behind the public face of their relationship there was heartache.
    That season had started for Stringer with Irelandís flop at the World
    Cup and his exclusion from the match-day 22 for Irelandís final two
    matches. To deal with the trauma of that experience the best
    available therapy was a winter in the red jersey. For all the other
    tormented Munster players in the Irish squad, winning the Heineken
    Cup amounted to glorious redemption. Stringer got a medal, cold,
    without the feeling.

Professional sportspeople are supposed to cope. We assume that itís
    hard-wired into their mentality. But it is not a mechanical process.
    Hurt complicates everything. ďPeople were coming up to me and I
    suppose at the start I was nearly embarrassed for whatever reason.
    Within myself, I felt I was leaving people down. I felt ashamed. All
    these things go through your head when something like that
    happens. The last thing you want to do is meet people and I suppose
    people are walking on egg shells around you.

ďI suppose that quarter-final, semi-final and final, not getting a
    minute on the pitch for those games was probably the most difficult
    experience Iíve had in a Munster jersey. I found myself in a position
    over the years where I was playing week-in, week-out. That comes
    naturally and itís such a shock to the system when youíre not
    playing. You do feel isolated from whatís going on.

ďCoaches tell you that itís a 30-man thing and youíre there
    ĎWhatever, whateverí. And it is. But for certain guys itís hard to
    accept that. For me it definitely was hard to accept it there and then
    because everyone wants to be on the pitch. I found myself in a place
    ó at that early stage ó of not knowing how to feel about the whole
    thing. Now, a couple of years down the line, you do really appreciate
    being involved but I maybe didnít understand that fully when it first
    happened.Ē

The other aspect of coping was that it was, by prescription, a private
    thing. In the Munster set-up there is no tolerance for sulking and no
    market for pity. After a personal disappointment youíre allowed a
    day to look beaten up. After that, you find a way to mask the
    bruising.

ďIíd be very much a person that keeps to myself a lot of the time. I
    enjoy the craic with the lads but Iíve always probably been a bit of
    an outsider. The fact of not drinking ó on a social level that always
    comes in and itís quite difficult to deal with. I enjoy my own company
    and Iím able to go off and do things on my own. Go off in the car on
    my own. I travel on my own to training. I enjoy the sense of freedom
    of being on my own when I need to.

ďIt was very much a personal thing to keep the head down and keep
    working away without anybody knowing what I was doing or seeing
    any disappointment within me. I suppose Iím not one for putting it
    out there. I very much didnít want the lads seeing that I suppose.
    When people see that, they lose confidence in you and thatís no

Leader of the Red Hordes Humpty Dumpty's Avatar
    One of the great servants of Ireland &amp; Munster
    If a man tried to take his time on earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, I wonder what would happen to this world

For Sure..1oo% every Game.!!!!Legend.
    Article by Nigel Melville - Gloucester Coach

Fingers get burned when the home fire is stoked in Munster. I suggest that any rugby fan who hasn\'t visited Thomond Park should get over there for the next Heineken Cup match. Only by being in Limerick on a big match day can you understand why the place is such a fortress.

Nigel Melville Tuesday January 20 2004 The Guardian

Can't believe Strings is only 30. Has being a second choice player since 28 - for a player of his stature that is remarkable. Should have moved on but too tied to Munster i presume. Could get his game with any other team in Ireland and most teams in the Premiership.

Sounds like he may be moving on at the end of the year. I wouldnt blame him. Still when he looks back on his career, he'll have more youtube moments than pretty much any Irish player with the exception of BOD. For me he is a guy that I have always been happy to see his name on the team sheet
    Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Luke Fitz's Agent
    A legend, and currently being hard done by. Should have started more big games this season.
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Leader of the Red Hordes LeakyBoots's Avatar
    Great player who has made (and continues to make) the best of his abilities. To be fair, the odds are slightly against him in the modern game.

Say what you want about him but he is hard as nails. In the heat of battle you'd want him on your side.

Which Italian lad tried to take his head off in the Six Nations with a filthy punch that could have broken his jaw and he got up?

Or when he got creased setting up Barry Murphy's try against the All Blacks? I remember the East Terrace roaring "Get up Stringer, we need you!" after that incident... Christ the roar he got when he struggled back to his feet. A special moment for a special player. All heart.

I liken him to Denis Irwin - does his work quietly and efficiently with minimum fuss. Might not seem invaluable now but when he's gone you'll miss him greatly.

Marty in the Morning

A special talent. Brave beyond words. A huge part of the first HEC triumph.

He's not finished yet either.....

Has had it hard in fairness to him, but has enjoyed a great
    career all the same. The debate certainly isn't closed yet on
    SH, i was of the opinion he should have started in Perpignan.

I think he should move on, a year in France would be a nice
    move for him if he fancies the lifestyle. Being selfish, it would
    allow us bring in Williams.

Fair play always put in 100% for Munster and Ireland from what I seen, made the tackles when needed to, not afraid to put his body on the line against much bigger lads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack B
    Fair play always put in 100% for Munster and Ireland from what I seen, made the tackles when needed to, not afraid to put his body on the line against much bigger lads.
    Pretty much everyone was bigger.

Admiral of the Fleet

A legend in every sense of the word. Always has and always will defy logic and every critic. As hard as nails that lad, pity they don't make them like that anymore. Has had it hard in fairness, got overlooked at times when maybe a start was justified. Still the heart in the lad is mighty. Size never mattered, no player was to big, the bravery on him like.
    Never afraid to give the opposition or the ref an earful either.
    He'd be one of the first lads you'd pick to fight your corner when your backs up against the wall. A special player who will always hold a place in the heart of Munster rugby.
    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mebawsa Ritchie

Pretty much everyone was bigger.
    Probably everyone he played

Can remember some of the tap tackles he put in for Ireland and Munster when the opposition thought they were away.

Munster Praetorian Guard bazzyg's Avatar
    Can't say how true it is but I had heard himself and JDV were to sign for Bayonne but they never made the HEC so it never went ahead.

Sin Binned

Quote Originally Posted by LeakyBoots
    Which Italian lad tried to take his head off in the Six Nations with a filthy punch that could have broken his jaw and he got up?

Troncon. A player who wasnt fit to lace his bootlaces

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XgSYdYgGc

Sin Binned
    Can I add that Stringers performance in the 2006 final particularly in the last twenty when others were out on there feet was the finesttwenty minutes of rugby I have ever witnessed from any Irish player. I've watched thatDVD so many times and every single decision he made in that last quarter was crucial. I bet if you asked Yachvilli (a superb player) he would agree

A good pass but a cheating git, as evidenced by jersey tugging Troncon, who was a far superior player.
    \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Sin Binned

Quote Originally Posted by Combatlogo
    A good pass but a cheating git, as evidenced by jersey tugging Troncon, who was a far superior player.

Troncon was a nothing player. Big for his time but absolutley a nothing scrum half compared to Strings. We left better scrum halves go to Leinster over the years FFS

Quote Originally Posted by sewa

We left better scrum halves go to Leinster over the years FFS

I agree[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by tickettout

We left better scrum halves go to Leinster over the years FFS

I agree[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

You know fcuk all about rugby, your opinion is worthless.

Stringer had/has a good pass, that's about it.His Ireland career has encompassed 3 Lions tours and how many did he make?
    \"This year is different because this year they won\'t beat snow off a rope. They\'ll revert back to type and get 6 shades of s**t bate out of them in the group stages of the HEC ...\" Tobyglen 21 Sept 2010

Sin Binned

If only we were as knowledgeable as Wombat Pogo. Dean Richards turned all sorts of tricks to try to sign Strings when at Tigers.Sure what does he know. Gatland installed himas automatic no 1 when he was at his best. So did DK. So did EOS. Sure they know nothing compared to WP.No one knows more than Wombat Pogo[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

P.s. stop embarassing those who know you. It's tough on them

Mrs F has Stringer in her "three stars you are allowed to sh*g".

Says it all. Ligend.

[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

If only we were as knowledgeable as Wombat Pogo. Dean Richards turned all sorts of tricks to try to sign Strings when at Tigers.Sure what does he know. Gatland installed himas automatic no 1 when he was at his best. So did DK. So did EOS. Sure they know nothing compared to WP.No one knows more than Wombat Pogo[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

I notice you avoid the issue of 3 Lions tours. Even in 2005 when Woodward took a battalion of players, Stringer was helping o subdue the might of Nippon.

What alternative did Ireland or Munster have for most of his career?

You're the idiot who claims Foley was better than Dallaglio FFS.

Sin Binned

I notice you avoid the issue of 3 Lions tours. Even in 2005 when Woodward took a battalion of players, Stringer was helping o subdue the might of Nippon.

Foley. Another legend. At least you have learned their names. Its a start

Foley - another over-rated limited player who didn't get near a Lions tour.

"Jordan Crane, best forward in Europe."

"Not much point in BOD creating chances neither he nor those around him can finish."

My favourite one is enshrined in my signature.

Munster Dog of War

"Not much point in BOD creating chances neither he nor those around him can finish."

I, my friend, do not agree. How could you even suggest he was limited?? I think thats harsh now I must say.

Sin Binned

BOD freely admits he went through a period where he himselfdoubted his own abilities. Where his play was poor. I'vemassive respect for his return from the ashes.In factits hard for me to describe how highly I rate him as a result. On the other hand your ridiculing of a fantastic player with so many caps above is nothing but wumming.Wumming from someone who hasno class or standards. You can join Dan on the ignore list

BOD freely admits he went through a period where he himselfdoubted his own abilities. Where his play was poor. I'vemassive respect for his return from the ashes.In factits hard for me to describe how highly I rate him as a result. On the other hand your ridiculing of a fantastic player with so many caps above is nothing but wumming.Wumming from someone who hasno class or standards. You can join Dan on the ignore list

I'm sure I'll still sleep at night.

WUMing? How many posts do you have on Leinsterfans? All positive contributions with no WUMing, as I recall.[img]smileys/lol.gif[/img]

Foley was/is over-rated and he didn't get near a Lions tour. The limited bit may be a bit harsh, I'll grant you that but not by much.

Leader of the Red Hordes jeepers's Avatar

No disgrace not being included in Woodward's battalion of has been England players. Well done Strings for sidestepping that humiliation of a tour.

it must sicken you lady boy to have to employ a limerick man as yer scrum half ! who is fourth choice irish scrum half behind the scrum half called stringer whojust 'has/had a good pass'and isaac boss !!!