PDA

View Full Version : Video Gaming (now with RWC 2011 info)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ruck
14th-November-2006, 14:08
<div>Wired (http://www.wired.com)</div>
<div>*</div>
<div>This weekend, the gloves come off and the controllers turn on.Microsoft's Xbox 360 has enjoyed an entire year all to itself in the war for gaming supremacy. But on Friday, Sony's hotly anticipated PlayStation 3 finally debuts in the United States. Two days later, Nintendo launches its Wii gaming platform.The stakes have never been higher in the struggle for your entertainment dollars. Sony and Microsoft have each invested billions of dollars to craft the most powerful game players the world has ever seen. To recoup those costs, they've got to outsell the other guy - which only one of them can do.Sony launched on Nov. 11 In Japan with a tiny allotment of 80,000 units, which they sold through instantly. Microsoft has only moved around 150,000 Xbox 360 units in the region, but has moved 5 million of the new consoles elsewhere in the world, getting a healthy leap on Sony.Because of the inherent risks, perennial also-ran Nintendo has decided to bow out of the technological race, ditching high-def graphics for innovative game control. Wii's motion-sensing controller allows you to swing a virtual tennis racket as if it were the real thing.All sides are aggressively courting gamers, and the competition is great. Every console has a slate of impressive new game titles and a bevy of additional features, from web browsing to video chat.So, which one is right for you? Here's the rundown.PlayStation 3Videophiles on a budget will prize PlayStation 3 simply for the fact that, at $500 to $600, it is the cheapest option for playback of the new Blu-Ray high-def movie format (Sony's standalone player retails for $1000).And with so many consumers clamoring for a few PS3s - Sony says 2 million units will be available worldwide in 2006, and rumors of shortages abound - it's likely that eBay entrepreneurs will snap up much of the initial shipment and turn it around for three times the MSRP.The PlayStation platform is where most of the game industry's major franchises call home, though that isn't quite reflected in the launch lineup. In the years to come, new entries in the Final Fantasy RPG series and Gran Turismo racing series will be exclusive to Sony's box. Brand-loyal gamers who need their fix don't really have much of a choice.By the numbers: Sony's system is by far the most expensive of the three. The majority of the units available on Nov. 17 will be in a $600 configuration which includes a 60-GB hard drive, built-in wireless networking and slots for various storage media. A $500 version has a 20-GB hard drive and lacks the features listed above.Distinguishing characteristics: All PlayStation 3 units sport a Blu-Ray drive, which gives game developers 25 gigabytes of space to work with (Xbox and Wii discs are only 9 GB). An HDMI jack allows for pure digital video and audio output, although the cable must be purchased separately.The best games: Wired's bloggers are split on the merits of Sony's first-person shooter Resistance: Fall of Man, but agree that the online multiplayer mode, which supports up to 40 simultaneous players, is excellent. We loved Electronic Arts' Fight Night, which adds a first-person perspective that lets you look the opposing boxer dead-on as you rearrange his face.WiiNintendo's game plan hinges on whether they can attract consumers outside the traditional "gamer" demographic. They're hoping the easy-to-pick-up design and unique realism of games like Wii Sports will appeal to those who would ordinarily never pick up a game controller. It's the game system for your mom.The game variations included in Wii Sports allow the motion-sensing remote to be swung like a tennis racket, bowling ball or golf club. The graphics - which feature tiny little characters that look like plastic toys - are a far cry from the ultra-realism of the competition. But the gameplay feels just li

ozoyo
14th-November-2006, 14:11
I am buying a Wii, my choice is finalsmileys/biggrin.gif. I prefer a completely new game experience rather than playing on the same games over and over (even if they will look way nicer)

Balla Boy
14th-November-2006, 14:21
I don't think things look good for the 360. A year with a free run at the market, and they just haven't made the impact that you might expect. Where's the Mario Bros, the Sonic, the Tekken, the GTA - games that go beyond gamers in their impact and visibility?

Every successful platform I can think of brought a definitive game that people who've never picked up a controller would recognise by name.

MS haven't delivered one.

Kerry-Exile
14th-November-2006, 14:27
Not much of a gamer myself but three of the guys in the office have Wii's on order, from what i can tell the Wii may well slaughter the Playstation 3 which is only really offering better graphics as opposed to the Wii which sounds like good fun

anthonyl
14th-November-2006, 15:07
Pc forever, better graphics cheaper games and Half Life2

who?
14th-November-2006, 15:29
I think the Xbox 360 will only take off when Halo 3 comes out - making the reasonable assumption it isn't a dud. (And it's a pity the plans for a Peter Jackson directed Halo movie appear to be on the rocks).

The Wii is likely to capture the kids-begging-parents market, but I wonder how much it'll appeal to the older market, with it's Gamecube graphics it'll be some distance behind the other consoles.

Ruck
14th-November-2006, 15:56
i'll be waiting between 6 months a year after the release dates for the prices to come down, for more games to be released and for proper comparisons to be made before i purchase any of the consoles.

Balla Boy
14th-November-2006, 16:25
i'll be waiting between 6 months a year after the release dates for the prices to come down, for more games to be released and for proper comparisons to be made before i purchase any of the consoles.

Wise - and a potentially new factor in the market. The consoles are becoming so expensive that chucking a bag of cash over the counter on day one looks more and more risky.

Do you really want to shell out several hundred notes for something that could turn out to be the new betamax?

Could bea lot more "wait and see" than on previous releases.

I'm not sure about the Wii either. All well and good positioning it as the console to buy if you fancy a bit of a pissed up laugh with friends/family, but does the price really allow it to hit that market? Best part of £200 is still a fair chunk of cash for a novelty item, isn't it?

Bosco
14th-November-2006, 16:48
<!-
var SymReal&#079;nLoad;
var SymReal;

Sym()
{
window.open = SymWinOpen;
if(SymReal != null)
SymReal();
}

Sym&#079;nLoad()
{
if(SymReal&#079;nLoad != null)
SymReal&#079;nLoad();
window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymReal&#079;nLoad = window.&#111;nload;
window.&#111;nload = Sym&#079;nLoad;

//->

no point getting the PS3 till October 07, when GTA4 comes out

Ruck
16th-November-2006, 09:25
@@@@SPAN =title>A Few PS3 Backwards Compat Woes@@@@/SPAN>
@@@@SPAN =mood>Topic: Console Games (http://blog.wired.com/games/c&#111;nsole_games/index.html)@@@@/SPAN>

The PS3 backwards compatibility is reputedly a little crumbly around the edges. Says aged-gamer bastion, 2old2play:
<BLOCKQUOTE>

CNET Japan is saying over 196 PS2 titles are not playing correctly (or at all) on the PS3. Some games function but lack any type of sound. Sony says that they didn't expect 100% of the games to work on launch and will be working on the problem, in some cases, apparently one title at a time.</BLOCKQUOTE>

Ruck
19th-November-2006, 10:20
In the weeks since the PS3's worldwide launch, it's been opened up and smashed. Now it's being broken down into its component parts by iSuppli, a well-respected group of technology analysts. They've totaled up the cost of the PS3's parts and determined that the cost of each $600 box is $840. That means they're taking a bath on each 60GB console to the tune of $240 (and how's that for a mixed metaphor).

Interestingly, they say that Sony is actually losing more money - over $300 - on the 20GB console. No surprise, says iSuppli, that they're steering customers over to the 60GB model.

There's also a comparison to the Xbox 360, which iSuppli says is currently profiting around $75 per console. That's only considering cost of parts and not taking into account advertising, shipping, and all that. Nor the cost of the controller and cables. Okay, so maybe they're not making any money, but they're doing better than losing $300.

mullet is gone
19th-November-2006, 11:53
Do NOT buy a PS3 yet, there's always tech problems with the first batch, leave it a while yet. The graphics on the WII are fine, metroid prime 3 looks quality. Sony will sell trillions, the games releasedwill be games you already own, with better graphics and updated squad names.

Nintendo will again provide the innovation. Its been supported by the bigger software companies.......theres talk of a light sabre game....

ozoyo
20th-November-2006, 05:38
It's done, I have reserved my Wii smileys/biggrin.gif.

I have also ordered Zelda and Red Steel.
Red Steel is a FPS yakusa game in which you use the controller like a gun or a saber.

This remote + nunchaku system is incredible. Can you imagine a golf game where you actually swing.

Hugged Rugger
20th-November-2006, 08:38
reckon i'll go for the Wii

something different for a change

Patman
20th-November-2006, 08:56

Right specs, BIG monitor and good DSL connection, you can't beat PC.

Daky
20th-November-2006, 09:16

I spend all day in front of a PC so don't bother with it too much when I go home. Never been one for games either. I know that gamers like better graphics, speed etc, but having to change your platform and your stock of games every couple of years just would not sit well with me. I'll stick to the PC for my limited stock of games thanks.

Ruck
20th-November-2006, 09:18
lads, what is the last console released by Nintendo?

fitzy73
20th-November-2006, 09:26
New console a magic wand for wizards of gaming
James Bone in New York

Fans say the Wii is revolutionary
It goes on sale in Britain next month

After waiting for more than 200 hours on the pavement in Times Square, Isaiah “Triforce” Johnson only had one thing on his mind. It was not food, not sex, not even some sleep.
Although it had just struck midnight the video-game buff could think only of his new Nintendo Wii machine, the first sold in the world.

&lt; =text/&gt;NI_MPU('middle');
“I am going to go to the hotel across the street and play this,” Triforce said. “Gamers do not sleep. We sleep when we pass out. I guess my biological gaming clock will tell me when to pass out,” the married 29-year-old gamer said. “I go home when I am done playing.”

The Wii so prized by Triforce is Nintendo’s pre-Christmas entry into the $30 billion dollar (£16 billion) worldwide video-gaming market and its answer to Sony’s new PlayStation 3. Both are competing against Microsoft’s Xbox 360, which came out last year.

While Sony and Microsoft have produced a pricey powerhouse that can anchor a home-entertainment system, Nintendo has taken a nimbler iPod-style approach that fans say will revolutionise video games.

The Wii’s key innovation is a motion-sensitive wireless control — the wii-mote — that lets players interact with the console by waving their hand.

The gleaming white device has the appearance of a TV remote that has mated with an iPod. Wave it at the TV screen and it becomes a magic wand, guiding characters in the virtual-reality world.

“You do the motions. It’s the first time in two or three years that I got butterflies playing a game,” said Kevin Twomey, 25, a computer programmer from Cork, Ireland, who had flown the Atlantic to buy his machine.

For a novice gamer the experience is like shaking your fist at the TV screen, except that the TV responds.

Swing it laterally in one game and it acts as a baseball bat, down to the cocking of the wrists. Thrust it vertically in another game and you throw a basketball towards the hoop. With the right software, the Wii-mote can become a golf club, a bowling ball, a tennis racket, or a steering wheel.

“It’s up to whatever the game designers’ imagination can come up with. It could be a frying pan and you could use it to fry eggs,” said Tom Russo, editorial director of the G4 gaming network on cable television.

The Wii will go on sale in Britain on December 8. Michael Pachter, an industry analyst, predicted that it would achieve a 40 per cent market share in Japan and a third of the market in US and Europe.

mullet is gone
20th-November-2006, 09:40

Red Steel is a FPS yakusa game in which you use the controller like a gun or a saber.

This remote + nunchaku system is incredible. Can you imagine a golf game where you actually swing.

Id cancel red steel if I were you, its meant to be absolute rubbish......

p.s.

resident evil 5 is only on Ps3/xbox but there is a confirmed exclusive game for the wii, its meant to bridge the gap between the loons in resident evil 4 and umbrella....

Zelda is getting thums up all everywhere........

theres a final fantasy game as well but its based on crystal chronicels which is a bit pants

inoverthetop
20th-November-2006, 09:59
lads, what is the last console released by Nintendo?

It was the gamecube I think

mullet is gone
20th-November-2006, 10:24
Tis the gamecube alright, the handheld DSis a more recent addition.

Ruck
20th-November-2006, 10:26
Cheers lads, one of my mates was trying to convince me over the weekend that the last console by Nintendo was the N64.

Kerry-Exile
20th-November-2006, 10:29
I got a gamecube, decent console that, and you can pick them up for nothing these days

Viigand
20th-November-2006, 11:36
PC all the way.

ozoyo
20th-November-2006, 13:26

Id cancel red steel if I were you, its meant to be absolute rubbish......

p.s.

resident evil 5 is only on Ps3/xbox but there is a confirmed exclusive game for the wii, its meant to bridge the gap between the loons in resident evil 4 and umbrella....

Zelda is getting thums up all everywhere........

theres a final fantasy game as well but its based on crystal chronicels which is a bit pants

Glad you told me as I did not feel entirely convinced by this game...
I will skip it so. There will be plenty enough to do on Zelda anyway.

RE4 is one of the best games I have ever had and I can only start to imagine what the next one will be with a Wii gameplay smileys/biggrin.gif.

I have heard that Mario galaxy and Metroid will also be available for the launch.

Nintendo were considered almost dead but I think they will strike a big blow with the Wii.

mullet is gone
20th-November-2006, 17:01
Thats going on the reviews I read, you can always get it later if it turns out to be better than expected

Metroid prime series is the business, hopeflly the third one kicks arse.From thepromos Ive seen it could actually be good excerise jumping around the room(not sure its not a launch title ).

Its the third software party companies you'd wonder about,I think we'll have to wait a bitbefore game companiesfully get the hang of the control system.

Big big plus is the back catalogue from previous systemsavailable to download.

Heres the official list, as usual its slim pickings, wii sports comes with the machine. Zelda is the only sure thing for now.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD ="bg_sidebar_titles2">
<DIV id=sub_feat02_02_text2>Launch Titles </DIV></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="software_sidebar_titles02">
<T>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top ="ic&#111;n_arrow_orange">http://wii.nintendo.com/images/02_software/ic&#111;n_arrow_orange.gif</TD>
<TD ="pad_btm5">Excite Truck (http://wii.nintendo.com/software_excite.jsp)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top ="ic&#111;n_arrow_orange">http://wii.nintendo.com/images/02_software/ic&#111;n_arrow_orange.gif</TD>
<TD ="pad_btm5">Wii Sports (http://wii.nintendo.com/software_wiisports.jsp)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="pad_btm5">The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (http://wii.nintendo.com/software_zelda.jsp)</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<DIV id=sub_feat02_02_text2>Release Date Announced </DIV></TD></TR>
<TR>
<T>
<TR>
<TD ="pad_btm5">WarioWare: Smooth Moves (http://wii.nintendo.com/software_warioware.jsp)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="pad_btm5">Wii Play </TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="pad_btm5">Mario Party 8 </TD></TR></T></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<DIV id=sub_feat02_02_text2>Future Titles </DIV></TD></TR>
<TR>
<T>
<TR>
<TD ="pad_btm5">Big Brain Academy (http://wii.nintendo.com/software_bigbrain.jsp)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD ="pad_btm5"><A class=sideb

Ruck
13th-March-2007, 14:49
Will Irish gamers queue for PS3?
Tuesday, March 13 2007
by Maxim Kelly

Want a PlayStation 3? Get in line, because 20,000 will be available in Ireland when Sony's new console hits the shelves later this month.

The latest gaming platform from the Japanese electronics giant will be available from Irish retailers from 23 March at a recommended retail price of EUR629.99.

That price includes the console with a 60GB preinstalled hard disk drive (HDD), standard wireless controller, a Blu-ray disc drive, and an unconfirmed "System Update". The smaller (and cheaper) 20GB version will not be available in Ireland at launch.

All Sony games across Europe will cost EUR59.99 and Sony Entertainment predicts retailers will rake in approximately EUR15 million on their first day flogging players and discs.

Compared to the EUR599 price across Europe, Sony Ireland managing director Niall O'Hanrahan told ENN in January there were five reasons for the higher price point in Ireland: Irish VAT rates, transport charges, the cost of doing business in Ireland, manufacturing costs, and low trade margins.

However there is a perceptible trend amongst Irish bloggers who speculate that it is Irish (and to a lesser extent British) retailers who are pushing up the price.

A recent survey of 200 Irish gamers by NextGen Ireland, found 72 percent would not be purchasing the PS3 on launch, while 82 percent of these people complained that it was expense that was their motivation. The survey also asked gamers which of the three next generation consoles they are most likely to purchase (if they have not already done so). Forty-two percent said they would be purchasing an Xbox 360, 40 percent would prefer the Wii with only 10 percent choosing the PS3 - the remaining 8 percent were undecided.

As with its competitors' offerings, the anticipation for Sony's latest gaming console-cum-home entertainment hub is running at fever pitch, with radio commentators predicting overnight queues outside gaming outlets and "mall rage" across the market towns of provincial Ireland where, one assumes, only a few PS3s will trickle through to at its launch.

Sony said 1 million of its new machines will be released across Europe in March. The company has previously said that the console's high price is justified because the machine includes a next generation, high definition Blu-ray DVD player, and analysts are expecting the PS3 to drive Blu-ray adoption against the competing HD-DVD format championed by Toshiba.

A range of 30 titles has been announced by Sony Entertainment in conjunction with the PS3 launch. In-house titles include Resistance: Fall of Man, MotorStorm, Genji: Days of the Blade, Formula One Championship edition, and Ridge Racer. Software houses such as Electronic Arts, Activision, Namco Bandai, Sega, Take 2, Ubisoft, and Vivendi Universal will also be releasing new games.

In addition to games on disc, a range of games on the PlayStation Network will be available for download. Sony said car racing game Gran Turismo HD Concept had already proven a popular choice with 350,000 downloads since it was released in North America and Japan in December. Downloads range in price from EUR2.99 to EUR9.99, and downloadable demos will be free to registered users.

"This will be the company's biggest console launch ever," said O'Hanrahan in a statement. "We are bringing in excess of 20,000 units for day one of launch in Ireland. Every effort has been made to ensure that there will be stock available for consumers at launch and immediately afterwards. There is huge demand for PS3 in Ireland; we still have the highest penetration of PS2, outside Japan, and the highest number of PlayStation Portables per head of population."

</P

Mucky Boots
13th-March-2007, 15:40
Mullet is right, there's no point in getting the PS3 at launch, my clicking, bocketey PS2 is testament to the follies of buying a Sony console at launch. The reduced backwards compatability is a real kick in the sack and hopefully this will be rectified in future models...I'd nearly wait for the 20GB version, that coupled with the fact that the only decent launch title for the PS3 is Resistance: Fall of Man, and we'll be waiting a while to get our hands on quality titles like MGS4...

who?
13th-March-2007, 15:45
Yeah, there are a few drawbacks to the PS3 - no rumble, reduced backward compatability, hardware scaler unused, no downloading in the background.

I'll probably end up getting one, but not for a while.

On another note, my 360 is heading back for service/replacement.. smileys/sad.gif

alexmcred
13th-March-2007, 16:12
What happened to it who? For some reason my one has started to flash red when I turn it on and there is no picture or sound!!!!

Jackie Brown
13th-March-2007, 18:08
That happened to mine just before christmas
its somehing fecked inside, ring their customer service line and eventually, after asking u stupid questions like, have you turned it on, they arrange a courier to call out and pick it up. I had mine back in a week.

Ruck
13th-March-2007, 18:20
jaysus i'm just waiting for mine to go kaput. my mate's 360's harddrive completely died, all his game data gone, just like that.

Jackie Brown
13th-March-2007, 18:25
my harddrive was fine, i got to keep it when they took the rest so didn't loose any data. I've heard it from a lot of people, mine went exactly a year after i bought it. lol Just when the warranty was due to expire, but they never asked.

Ruck
11th-June-2007, 13:20
Triumph of the Wii: How Fun Won Out in the Console Wars

"Thumb candy for dummies."

That's how, in 2003, Time magazine described Nintendo President Satoru Iwata's conviction that what consumers really wanted out of video games was simpler, more accessible entertainment - not the photorealistic graphics and massive online worlds that the company's competitors were chasing.

Less than four years later, the machine that Iwata built around his controversial strategy is the world's top-selling game console. In the United States, Nintendo's $250 Wii sold 360,000 units in April, while Sony's $600, graphically intense, Blu-ray-powered PlayStation 3 props up the bottom of the sales chart like a doorstop, with 82,000 units sold.

Wii is sold out across the globe. Having already moved more than 6 million of the consoles worldwide in the six months since launch, Nintendo is fighting to keep up with demand. On eBay, secondhand systems sell for around $380. In Tokyo, stores mark the consoles up well above retail price.

Before it's done, Nintendo believes that one out of every two next-generation game consoles sold could be a Wii, says George Harrison, the company's senior vice president. Nintendo is putting "the bulk of our mass-market effort against this extended audience," creating software that appeals to seniors, women and former gamers who had given up the hobby, he says.

"I can't think of anyone who hasn't expressed joy over Wii Sports," says John Schappert, COO of Electronic Arts' game studios. "They've hit a bull's-eye, delivering a console that gamers like and that brings nongamers to gaming."

By now, it was supposed to be all over for Nintendo.

The company that once ruled the video game world with an iron fist had lost its hegemony in the late '90s to Sony and the PlayStation. Any chance that the company might rebound seemed to evaporate when Microsoft entered the picture in 2001, and Nintendo's GameCube console fell into a distant third place behind PlayStation 2 and Xbox.

The 40-year history of the video game industry has been volatile, marked by drastic, unpredictable shifts in market dominance. But one of the maxims that has always held true is that third place is a dangerous position to occupy. Every other game hardware maker that found itself behind two rivals eventually dropped out of the race: Atari, NEC, Sega. And four years ago, most everyone assumed that Nintendo would face the same fate.

Nintendo itself probably even thought so. That's why the company decided to create a product that could carve out its own market niche - a game machine so different that even if it fell to third place, it would support a viable business model
Rather than pursuing high-def graphics, Nintendo made Wii smaller and cheaper, leaving the graphics capability nearly identical to the GameCube's. Then it redesigned the game controller to look more like a one-handed television remote control. Built-in motion sensors meant that a game of tennis or bowling felt just like the real thing.

In a twist worthy of a Zen proverb, it was exactly when Nintendo decided to stop competing with Sony and Microsoft that it began to trounce them. Since launch, Wii has constantly outsold the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. In the portable game sphere, Nintendo's touch-screen DS system, built around the same philosophy as Wii, has outsold Sony's high-end PSP two to one.

The simpler-games philosophy has proven to be a lucrative one. Nintendo recently reported operating income of 226 billion yen ($1.9 billion) for fiscal 2007, up 150 percent from 2006. Meanwhile, Sony's games division experienced a drop in operating income of more than 80 percent. Analyst firm iSuppli reported in November that Sony is taking a $250 loss on every PS3 sold. That's in keeping with the long-practiced business model of game consoles: Sell hardware at a loss with the hope of making it up

LZ
11th-June-2007, 13:27
The Wii is useless, complete crap!

Ruck
11th-June-2007, 13:31
I'm happy enough with my x360 until the ps3 comes down in price drastically. Although I'll want it as soon as MGS4 comes out.

has anybody taken the plunge and bought the PS3? was it worth it?

LZ
11th-June-2007, 13:36
I'm getting one, no joke, tomorrow! smileys/biggrin.gif

dropkick
11th-June-2007, 13:38
The Wii is useless, complete crap!

I agree. The 360 and ps3 are more powerful which not only means better graphics but better games.

BTW, Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming out on the 360 too.

SpringPOC
11th-June-2007, 13:40
I heard the PS3 is about to come down in price in the next few weeks, will give it unitil the end of the month, just cant wait any longer,

If there are software issues, you can download software updates wirelessly if you have broadband so happy days

LZ
11th-June-2007, 13:49
Wii Sports is the worse, I don't see what people can get out of playing tennis with a controller that is so unrealistic it never does what you tell it to do, and playing with f**king big headed little dwarfs with a tennis racket. Same with the golf game, so unrealistic I couldn't believe it!

And all the comotion before it came out about the controller, the fact is, in most games you don't actually use the controller in it's sensor way for 50% of the stuff!

I like the look of the XBOX 360, but Formula 1 and Virtua Tennis 3 for the PS3 look incredible, hence I can't take it anymore and will get my console tomorrow (I managed to sell my PS2, 30 games, my Gamcube, 10 games, pus memory cards and controllers on ebay and via adverts in the local newspaper for 450€ in total!) smileys/biggrin.gif

Drahcir
11th-June-2007, 13:57
ps3 is the best and with home being relesaed soon it willbe even better, the wii's novelty will wear off and xbox360 has too many technical problems.

LZ
11th-June-2007, 14:00
The xbox360 has too many technical problems.

Does it really? I never knew about that, like what exactly?

Mucky Boots
11th-June-2007, 14:00
ps3 is the best and with home being relesaed soon it willbe even better, the wii's novelty will wear off and xbox360 has too many technical problems.

I agree, the Wii was an impulse novelty buy for a lot of people, it could struggle to maintain high sales in the latter stages of the console wars...The XCock 360 is riddled with technical problems as ye've all pointed out...the PS3 will be a slow burner, not the firecracker the PS2 was...

Ruck
11th-June-2007, 14:02
xbox360 has too many technical problems.

Like what? I've experienced none so far,I have mine since february.

11th-June-2007, 14:05
LeinsterZulu, why did you sell the PS2 games? Are'nt they compatible with the PS3?

LZ
11th-June-2007, 14:05
ECHOECHOECHOECHO smileys/lol.gif

Drahcir
11th-June-2007, 14:07
xbox360 has too many technical problems.

Like what? I've experienced none so far,I have mine since february.

Maybe not you ruck but a lot of people have (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems)

LZ
11th-June-2007, 14:10
LeinsterZulu, why did you sell the PS2 games? Are'nt they compatible with the PS3?

Yes, but when you look at Formula1 for the PS3 and Formula1 for the PS2, you kind of never want to go back to the PS2 version. smileys/lol.gif

AndI had a lot of s**t games that I'd never play on again, like Smash Court Tennis 2 or Rugby 2006 (biggest dissapointment of my gaming life!) or Fifa 2002/3/4/5/6 and Pro 2/3/4/5.

But I kept San Andreas, MGS 2 and 3, Pro 6 and FIFA 2007...

Drahcir
11th-June-2007, 14:13

Yes, but when you look at Formula1 for the PS3 and Formula1 for the PS2, you kind of never want to go back to the PS2 version. smileys/lol.gif

AndI had a lot of s**t games that I'd never play on again, like Smash Court Tennis 2 or Rugby 2006 (biggest dissapointment of my gaming life!) or Fifa 2002/3/4/5/6 and Pro 2/3/4/5.

i take it that you never played challenge rugby from codemasters....

LZ
11th-June-2007, 14:23

i take it that you never played challenge rugby from codemasters....

Nope, never have, never will, I know at least 5 people that bought the game and said it was absolute bo***cks, the most unrealisitc game ever, the Unreal Tournamentof rugby even! smileys/lol.gif

I shall say no more as I could go on for hours about the s**ttiness of the game...

Lebowski
12th-June-2007, 10:01
I'm happy enough with my x360 until the ps3 comes down in price drastically. Although I'll want it as soon as MGS4 comes out.

has anybody taken the plunge and bought the PS3? was it worth it?

I got a PS3 a few weeks ago (well the young fella did). It's great.

LZ
19th-June-2007, 16:28
<DIV =article_segment>
<DIV =article_segtitle>Sony considers dropping PS3 price</DIV>
<DIV =article_seg></DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>A price cut for the PlayStation 3 got closer to reality today. Sony chairman and chief executive Sir Howard Stringer has told the Financial Times he is aware that there is "no question" that consumers want a lower price tag. </DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>Stringer praised the success of rival Nintendo's latest console, the Wii, saying that the company "has been a successful enterprise and a very good business model compared with ours". He vehemently disagreed, however, that the Wii was more fun to play. "No, no, no, no," the executive replied to the question. </DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>He also attributed much of the difference in sales between the two consoles to the fact that the Wii was significantly cheaper, and that the two systems were "complementary and supplementary", to each other, and not in direct competition. </DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>In light of this, Stringer confirmed that Sony would be looking to cut the price of the PS3 - he gave no specific amount, but indicated that the company was looking to make a decision about this before Christmas. He said, "[The amount of the price cut] is what we are studying at the moment. That's what we are trying to define." </DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>Stringer said that he "was not worried" about the PS3 at all. "While [it seems] people haven't bought as many PS3s, it is no different from the PlayStation 2 and PlayStation in terms of sales," he said. He pointed out that the PS3 was following the sales path of the previous two consoles, both of which over time ended up with market dominance. </DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>He added that current games for the console were using only 20 per cent or so of the machine's capabilities. "Once they use the full bandwidth the games experience is stunning... it's dazzling." </DIV>
<DIV =article_seg></DIV>
<DIV =article_seg></DIV>
<DIV =article_seg>Very interesting, seen as I bought one the other week for a bloody huge some of money! </DIV></DIV>

Point
19th-June-2007, 16:58
I never thought I would be posting in this thread but anyway, I got to play the Wii sports at the weekend and found it to be highly entertaining and energetic ! Especially the boxing. The golf was pretty good as well. I thought it was difficult to load up the games but as a non-gamer that could just have been down to me.

Combatlogo
19th-June-2007, 17:03
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=71052

Cathal
19th-June-2007, 17:14
PS3 v Wii (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QpYgNz6W6Gs).

An Fear Bolg
19th-June-2007, 17:49
Been planning on getting a PS3 some time this summer. Recently my missus mentioned offhand that she reckoned a wii would be better fun.

I see trouble brewing.

beanflick
19th-June-2007, 18:35
Jonah Lomu rugby best rugby game ever could never beat nz with japan though!!!
Will buy a ps3 but in no rush really any word on a new rugby game for it ?

LZ
19th-June-2007, 18:44
Rugby 2007 will be out in November for the PS3...

Ruck
19th-June-2007, 18:48
and will be s**t, just like every other rugby game (except maybe jonah lomu)

LZ did you buy your ps3 that time?

LZ
19th-June-2007, 18:50
Yes! smileys/biggrin.gif

Sorry, a mistake, it's called Rugby 2008, and it will be out for the PS3 and XBOX 360 on November 1st...

LZ
3rd-July-2007, 15:43
I bought "Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII" for the PS3 on Friday; I have to say, it's a brilliant game so far...

Ruck
3rd-July-2007, 15:44
interesting to see that the Wii is currently outselling the PS3 in Japan by 6 to 1smileys/shock.gif

LZ
3rd-July-2007, 15:50
interesting to see that the Wii is currently outselling the PS3 in Japan by 6 to 1smileys/shock.gif

It's a price thing. If everyone had 500€ to spend on a console, everyone in their right-mind would buy a PS3. Wait until the price for the PS3 plummets, then they'll start to claw those figures back at a rapid rate.

Anddon't forget, you're talking aboutJapan, the land of the Nintendo DS-lovers, I've personally never seen such a waste of money in all my life...

Hugged Rugger
3rd-July-2007, 16:10
also with the xbox being available longer a lot of people would have bought one of them first.

right now i would buy an xbox or a wii with ps3 in third place. you could buy the first two for not much more than the ps3 id say

alexmcred
3rd-July-2007, 17:27
Nintendo as far as I can see have hit the nail on the head where player inclusion comes into play both their hand held DS and console are far more interactive. I have a 360 and a psp and the Nintendo offering hammer both, the DS is a great little machine and I have never seen my kids pick up games quicker than with a wii and indeed DS.

inoverthetop
3rd-July-2007, 17:29
also with the xbox being available longer a lot of people would have bought one of them first.

right now i would buy an xbox or a wii with ps3 in third place. you could buy the first two for not much more than the ps3 id say

Hugged Rugger
3rd-July-2007, 18:24

The PS3 is head and shoulders above the others. The wii is very limited granted it is a lot of fun and is a very innovative idea, however it will not progress any further.

With the blu ray player, wireless internet, 60 gb harddrive, usb capabilities, memorystickports, combined with the line up ahead and Playstation Home.i will stick with PS3. If you were going to bring the Xbox up to the same specyou would be paying over 150 euro more.

my point is i'm not forking out the money for a ps3. like i said, right now id buy either of the other two, probably the wii, and thats because of the price. I couldnt justify that expense on a ps3 with the amount of time i would have to play it

sony's biggest problem is people becomming loyal to the alternate options. in the time it took them to get from ps2 to ps3 there have been 2 x boxes and a nintendo. granted the sales of ps2 were huge in that time but customer loyalty is stilla big thing in big business and they could be losing out. The increace in sales when the price comes down might not be as big as people expect

Bitter As A Lemon
3rd-July-2007, 18:53
When does the price drop happen for a PS3?

Ruck
3rd-July-2007, 19:24
not for a while i reckon. next year at least, certainly not before christmas

Drick
5th-July-2007, 21:31
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6275728.stm

<div ="mxb">
<div ="sh">
Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill
</div>
</div>

<!- S BO ->
<!- S IIMA ->

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203">
<t><tr><td>
<div>
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42711000/jpg/_42711839_xboxbody.jpg
<div ="cap">Some Xbox Live gamers have complained about fraud</div>
</div>
</td></tr>
</t></table>

<!- E IIMA ->
<!- S SF ->
Microsoft has said that it is facing a bill of more than $1bn to
cover the cost of offering extended warranties, after failings with its
Xbox 360.
</font>

The company admitted it had been forced to make "an unacceptable number of repairs" to the consoles after key hardware failed.
</font>

Customers who suffer the problems will now be given a free three-year warranty, the company said.
</font>

The failures are indicated by three red flashing lights on the console.
<!- E SF ->
</font>

Microsoft, has not revealed how many of its machines
have suffered the problem, but said the number was "bigger than we are
comfortable with."
</font>

It added that the move - which will also see some people
reimbursed for postage and repairs on consoles which were out of
warranty - was aimed at keeping the loyalty of its customers.
</font>

"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great
experience with their console and have from day one," said Robbie Bach,
president of Microsoft's Entertainment &amp; Devices Division. </font>

"But this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologise."
</font>

It added its Xbox division was still expected to make a profit during the financial year beginning 1 July 2007.
</font>

Migration manoeuvre
</font>

Separately the company has announced an October launch
of its advanced version of the Xbox - the Xbox 360 Elite - in Japan,
where it lags behind Nintendo and Sony in the console market. </font>

And the company has also unveiled plans to open a
software development centre in Canada which it said was a way of hiring
talented people from abroad who would struggle to obtain a US working
visa.
</font>
The Vancouver location would "allow the company to
continue to recruit and retain highly skilled people affected by the
immigration issues in the US", Microsoft said.<!- E BO ->

</font>

The Word Is Born
5th-July-2007, 21:37
The dreaded WSOD.

Ruck
8th-July-2007, 15:18
new trailer for GTAIV (http://www.gamespot.com/video/933037/6173289/grand-theft-auto-iv-official-trailer-2)

Bosco
8th-July-2007, 15:22
looks class

The Word Is Born
8th-July-2007, 16:15
Would have been even better if it had in-game footage rather than cut scenes and intros.

Ruck
8th-July-2007, 16:17
they'll release gameplay footage closer to release.

blackadder
8th-July-2007, 16:17
Yes! smileys/biggrin.gif

Sorry, a mistake, it's called Rugby 2008, and it will be out for the PS3 and XBOX 360 on November 1st...

It's out on PC and the PS2 next week afaik.

Ruck
8th-July-2007, 16:27
some gameplay footage for Assassins Creed (http://www.gamespot.com/video/930278/6158930/assassins-creed-gameplay-movie-1). I can't wait for this game.

Drick
9th-July-2007, 07:18
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6283170.stm

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629>
<T>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=3>
<DIV =mxb>
<DIV =sh>Sony cuts Playstation price in US </DIV></DIV></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width=416><!- S BO -><!- S IIMA ->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE><!- E IIMA -><!- S SF ->Sony is slashing the price of its PlayStation 3 games console by 17% in the US to boost sales.

As a result of the $100 price cut the PS3 will now cost $500 (£249), $20 more than the rival Microsoft Xbox and twice as much as the Nintendo Wii.

The Xbox and Wii have been significantly outselling the Japanese firm's PS3 in the US market.

The news came as Microsoft said it would not be cutting the Japanese price of its Xbox to lift lacklustre sales. <!- E SF ->

Microsoft made the announcement a week after it said it was spending $1bn to repair problems with the Xbox 360.

Japan problems

The Xbox price tag of about 38,000 yen ($300) is "very competitive" and below that of the console's US price, Microsoft Japan's vice president said.

Xbox sales in Japan have been lagging behind those of rivals - Sony's Playstation 3 and Nintendo's Wii.

According to games magazine publisher Enterbrain, Microsoft has sold 122,565 Xbox consoles in Japan during the first six months of the year.

That compares with 1.78 million Nintendo Wii sales and 503,554 Sony PS3 sales.

However, it is a different story in the US market with Nintendo and Microsoft outselling their rival several times over

"Our initial expectation is that sales should double at a minimum," said Sony Entertainment America chief executive Jack Tretton.

"We've gotten our production issues behind us on the PlayStation 3, reaching a position to pass on the savings to consumers, and our attitude is the sooner the better."

The move also comes just ahead of the launch of the latest version of the PS3.

The new console will boast an improved 80-gigabyte hard drive and is expected to sell for around $600.

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is expected to make an announcement at the E3 event - one of the biggest conferences in the game industry calendar - about the new console on Thursday.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Drick
12th-July-2007, 06:03
Metal Gear Solid 4 Confirmed as PlayStation 3 Exclusive (http://www.dailytech.com/Metal+Gear+Solid+4+C&#111;nfirmed+as+PlayStati&#111;n+3+Excl usive/article8014.htm)
<DIV id=ctl00_MainC&#111;ntent_NewsImagesC&#111;nt>
<DIV ="NewsImage">@@@@SPAN ="SmallFont">
@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN id=ctl00_MainC&#111;ntent_lblSummary ="ArticleSummary">Metal Gear Solid 4 is coming "early 2008"@@@@/SPAN></DIV></DIV>

@@@@SPAN ="ArticleSummary">For months, or even longer, gamers have been scrutinizing every single piece of information surrounding Metal Gear Solid 4 in hopes of shedding some light regarding its status as a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Just a few days ago, a Konami executive even made some rather curious comments following the PS3 price cut that would lead some to believe that MGS games would be heading to the Xbox 360 or Wii for the sake of recovering development costs.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="ArticleSummary">At the Sony E3 press conference, it was explicitly stated that Metal Gear Solid 4 is a PlayStation 3 exclusive. There you have it, folks, official word from Jack Tretton of SCEA that it’s a PS3-only title. And if that’s not good enough, he was joined on-stage by Hideo Kojima, making it certain that it’s an exclusive.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="ArticleSummary">Of course, it wouldn’t surprise me to see some sort of “Substance” follow-up to later appear on Xbox 360, which technically would be a separate game, leaving intact the Sony exclusivity detail.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="ArticleSummary">While we’ve heard the same thing from the director before, Kojima said that this would be his last work on the Metal Gear Solid series. He said the same thing after MGS3, but I’m thankful that he’s decided to give it another go with the latest instalment.@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN ="ArticleSummary">If you have a PlayStation 3, check out the high-definition trailer on the PSN, or if not, then click here. A simultaneous worldwide launch of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is set for early 2008. Day one sale confirmed.@@@@/SPAN>

Ruck
12th-July-2007, 06:07
i'm going to rename this thread to the video gaming thread.

i'm playing Just Cause on the x360 at the moment. Wouldn't recommend it, there's some cool stunts to perform, like parachuting from vehicles or onto vehicles, but that novelty wears off quickly and the rest of the game is very hollow. player controls are very boring, plus it's a bit too easy. story is a bit s**t too. graphics are pretty decent, but nothing special for the 360.

LZ
3rd-August-2007, 12:20
@@@@SPAN =post>@@@@SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold">@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 13px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal">'Grand Theft Auto IV' pushed back to 2008@@@@/SPAN>@@@@/SPAN>

Take-Two Interactive yesterday stunned the game industry by announcing it was delaying Grand Theft Auto IV to the second quarter of its 2008 fiscal year, which begins on 1 February 2008. Published by Take-Two subsidiary Rockstar Games, the crime-action title had been slated to ship for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the UK on 19 October 2007.
"Certain elements of development proved to be more time-intensive than expected, especially given the commitment for a simultaneous release on two very different platforms," said Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick in a statement.
Unsurprisingly, not having GTA IV in its 2007 fiscal-year lineup has put a serious dent in Take-Two's earnings expectations. The company's guidance is now for net revenue of $950m to $1bn for the 12 months ending 31 October, and a loss of $1.25 to $1.35 per share.
That figure is over $200m lower than prior estimates of $1.2bn to $1.25bn in annual revenue - which would have been "break even results" according to the company's second-quarter earnings statement.
With the AO-rated Manhunt 2 on indefinite hold, Take-Two now expects net revenue between $275m to $300m for its fourth fiscal quarter, with a net loss of $0.05 to $0.10 per share.
"Obviously, we are very disappointed to reduce guidance after having previously reaffirmed it," said Take-Two chief executive Ben Feder. "Other than a matter of timing, the movement of Grand Theft Auto IV does not compromise Take-Two in any way. We are in sound financial condition and have a great product lineup."
@@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN =post>
smileys/evil.gif@@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN =post>But on a higher note, I played a demo for the new-to-be PS3 game 'Darkness' today, it's incredible, best demo I've ever played. I shall be getting the game as soon as it comes out...
@@@@/SPAN>

who?
3rd-August-2007, 12:59
If you can't wait for GTA IV, try Saints Row. Much of a muchness, I
reckon.

LZ
3rd-August-2007, 13:10
If you can't wait for GTA IV, try Saints Row. Much of a muchness, I reckon.

I can't seen as I don't have the Xbox 360 and it hasn't been released for the PlayStation 3...

who?
3rd-August-2007, 13:22
Ah, sorry. Hadn't read back that far.

I'm not surprised about Manhunt2 being on hold (actually, I'm just
surprised it hasn't been canned). I like my games dark, but that game
was just crazy.

LZ
3rd-August-2007, 13:28
Did you know that Manhunt wasn't even released in Oceania? They considered it too violent. While Germany didn't even rate the game! smileys/shock.gif

Balla Boy
3rd-August-2007, 15:13
i'm going to rename this thread to the video gaming thread.

i'm playing Just Cause on the x360 at the moment. Wouldn't recommend it, there's some cool stunts to perform, like parachuting from vehicles or onto vehicles, but that novelty wears off quickly and the rest of the game is very hollow. player controls are very boring, plus it's a bit too easy. story is a bit s**t too. graphics are pretty decent, but nothing special for the 360.

Similar experience on the PS2, Ruck. Just endless assaults on identical cartel bases and towns. Massive map that it takes forever to travel around but seemingly no variation from area to area.

Shame - initially thought it had a lot of potential, as sandbox games are basically the only ones I play other than the odd bit of boxing or tombraider.

Would highly recommend Scarface to anyone - enjoyed it more than GTA SA, which I struggled to get into having really enjoyed Vice City. Just too big, without being very compelling .

I found Scarface a lot slicker, if a little repetitive towards the end.

Ruck
7th-August-2007, 08:57
Fun for less: Xbox price falls
By Benjamin J. Romano

Seattle Times technology reporter

Microsoft is cutting the price of its Xbox 360 console between $20-$50, but Nintendo's hot-selling Wii, at $250, undercuts even its cheapest "core" version.
This won't surprise many close watchers of the video-game business. Microsoft is lowering the price of the Xbox 360, effective Wednesday, to lure more buyers to its console as the next edition of one of the most popular video games of the last decade — "Madden NFL" — goes on sale next week.

Leaked images from upcoming retail advertisements appeared on video-game enthusiast blogs as early as last month showing the price cuts, which Microsoft confirmed Monday: The low-end or "core" version of the console will cost $280, down $20; the midrange version's new price is $350, down $50; and, the high-end "elite" system will sell for $450, down $30.

Microsoft executives hope owners of previous-generation game consoles will be enticed by the new pricing.

" 'Madden' is a big title that we think is going to drive those guys back into the store and so having a price drop to time with that was really part of our strategy," said Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Xbox 360.

The hardware changes and engineering improvements the company made to reduce an "unacceptable" console failure rate did not affect the timing of the price cut, Greenberg said. In July, Microsoft extended the warranty covering general hardware failures that had plagued the Xbox 360 and set aside $1 billion to deal with the problem.

The pricing strategy further separates the Xbox 360 from the Sony PlayStation 3, which saw a price reduction of its own and a new model introduced last month. A package including a PS3 with an 80-gigabyte hard drive and an off-road racing game went on sale for $600 Monday in the U.S.

The 60-gigabyte PS3 is selling for $500, down from $600, but only "until current inventory is depleted, which is predicted to be this fall based on current consumer demand," according to a Sony statement.

Nintendo's hot-selling Wii, at $250, undercuts both competitors.

Some analysts placed greater significance on last week's announcement that another highly anticipated game, "Grand Theft Auto IV," will be delayed until early 2008, missing the holiday season.

"In general people make way too much of pricing on game consoles, because it's not the price that sells the console, it's the game titles that are available," said Van Baker, a research vice president at industry analyst firm Gartner. "That's why the delay of 'Grand Theft Auto IV' is bad news for Sony. That was going to be the killer franchise on the PS3."

The delay hurts Microsoft, too, which was lined up to have "GTA IV" available on the Xbox 360 at the same time as the PS3.

"There goes part of the perfect storm they were talking about," said Billy Pidgeon, referring to Microsoft's earlier predictions about a holiday sales season lifted by the release of three hot titles, "Madden," "GTA IV," and "Halo 3" — a game exclusive to the Xbox 360. "But this [price cut] does set up the Xbox nicely for 'Madden,' and for 'Halo 3.' "

Microsoft's Greenberg said the delay of "GTA IV" could benefit "Halo 3," because the company will bring it to market next month with few distractions .

"I think all this does is officially declare it's a 'Halo' holiday," he said.

Sarsfield
8th-August-2007, 10:10
One word for you, people;

Bioshock

Ok, maybe another

Far Cry 2 - It's only screenies so far but I'm somehow, @@@@SPAN style="font-style: italic;">way@@@@/SPAN> more excited about it than Crysis.

For the record, I'm off the Civ IV wagon. When you have to be getting up at 6.10am, that's not good

Bosco
8th-August-2007, 10:16
the GTA IV delay gives me more time to save up for the PS3

anthonyl
8th-August-2007, 11:31
Can't wait for Bioshock, Medal Of Honor Airbourne, Crysis in November and please God Half Life Episode 2 near Xmas... not to mention Medieval Total War Kingdoms....PC forever

Sarsfield
8th-August-2007, 12:54
Can't wait for Bioshock, Medal Of Honor Airbourne, Crysis in November and please God Half Life Episode 2 near Xmas... not to mention Medieval Total War Kingdoms....PC forever

Amen to that brother. Feckin' console jockeys with their pro-evolutions and imprecise dual analogue controllers smileys/wink.gif Pfffft

I'm huge fan of the TW series but I have to say that MTWII has really disappointed me. The comabt in sieges is finicky in the extreme and getting units to charge is damn nigh impossible. This was well enough done in RTW so I really don't know the reason for the whoescale regression in this aspect of the game. It's largely the same engine SFAIK. Getting to play as the Irish again will be cool though. I'd give ita few months before buying though, Creative Assembly usually need two patches to get their games working as they should.

Speaking of bugs, I got S.T.A.K.L.E.R. at the weekend. I haven't fired ti up yet though

who?
8th-August-2007, 13:15
Can't wait for Bioshock, Medal Of Honor Airbourne,
Crysis in November and please God Half Life Episode 2 near Xmas... not
to mention Medieval Total War Kingdoms....PC forever

HL Episode2? If it's anything like 1, you'll be finished it in an hour
(probably a lot less than it took to download). They are great games
though.

anthonyl
8th-August-2007, 13:24
Have you patched MTW2? really makes a huge difference, STALKER is excellent...but take about six months off to play it....huge levels...patch available as well which improves the weather aspect of the game. For those of you looking fro a handy cheap game to play ...try Rogue Trooper...diamond in the rough...and a bonus if you're a fan of 2000ADsmileys/wink.gif

Amen to that brother. Feckin' console jockeys with their pro-evolutions and imprecise dual analogue controllers smileys/wink.gif Pfffft

I'm huge fan of the TW series but I have to say that MTWII has really disappointed me. The comabt in sieges is finicky in the extreme and getting units to charge is damn nigh impossible. This was well enough done in RTW so I really don't know the reason for the whoescale regression in this aspect of the game. It's largely the same engine SFAIK. Getting to play as the Irish again will be cool though. I'd give ita few months before buying though, Creative Assembly usually need two patches to get their games working as they should.

Speaking of bugs, I got S.T.A.K.L.E.R. at the weekend. I haven't fired ti up yet though

Sarsfield
9th-August-2007, 08:57
Have you patched MTW2? really makes a huge difference, STALKER is excellent...but take about six months off to play it....huge levels...patch available as well which improves the weather aspect of the game. For those of you looking fro a handy cheap game to play ...try Rogue Trooper...diamond in the rough...and a bonus if you're a fan of 2000ADsmileys/wink.gif

Yup, up to 1.2. The thing that annoys me the most is only the front rank seems to engage and everyone else just kind of saunters around at the back smileys/mad.gif. Still, the diplomacy is @@@@SPAN style="font-style: italic;">way@@@@/SPAN> better thank God. I'm in the middle of Civ IV so I might go back to MTW2 shortly. Will have a cut off of STALKER first though.

If I can offload some of my old stuff then I might have enough for a shiny new Core 2 Duo system...

anthonyl
9th-August-2007, 11:10
Upgraded my own system last year ...so I'll just stick in another GB of Ram and if the other half is in good humour she might let get a new graphics card

anthonyl
28th-August-2007, 19:26
Anyone invested in Bioshock yet?....if not get it .....brilliant game....like playing in a rip roaring novel or film

The Word Is Born
28th-August-2007, 19:40
I was going to ask that question but for the 360 though.

Mucky Boots
28th-August-2007, 19:47
Bioshock looks great, heard the enemy AI can leave a lot to be desired in parts, however...

masterchief
28th-August-2007, 21:28
yep, Invested in bioshock on friday, i've just managed to pry myself away from it for a while!

I've got the 360 version and it looks incredible!!!!!

The game itself is more or less your typical rpg but with some cool twists, like being able to shoot bees out of you hand for example, or freeze people with liquid nitrogen a lá Terminator 2.

All in all a decent purchase and should keep me ticking over nicely til halo 3 arrives.

LZ
28th-August-2007, 22:10
Looks an awesome game, I may have to get it...

anthonyl
29th-August-2007, 07:05
I thought the enemy AI was fine...they'll back off when injured, look to heal themselves and gang up on you when they can....the voice acting is really superb, some of the best I've heard in gaming....anyone know who did Atlas?

inoverthetop
29th-August-2007, 07:22
smileys/shock.gif

mickyd
14th-September-2007, 10:38
Well into Bishock at this stage!

After playing the initial few hours which I thouroughly enjoyed, I have to say it's starting to weara bit thin.

A bit repetitive, enemy AI is not great, not enough tactical fighting for my liking.

Anyone played Tom Clancy Rainbow 6 vegas?

Any good?

what about other Tom Clancy games for the 360?

Gears of war?

Ruck
14th-September-2007, 10:42

haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be excellent

Any good?

splinter cell games are possibly my favourite games out there, particularly double agent which was superb.

Gears of war?

Incredible game
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Halo 3 is out in a couple of weeks also.</DIV>

mickyd
14th-September-2007, 11:08

haven't played it yet, but it's supposed to be excellent

Any good?

splinter cell games are possibly my favourite games out there, particularly double agent which was superb.

Gears of war?

Incredible game
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Halo 3 is out in a couple of weeks also.</DIV>

I'm an xbox noob so never played any of the halos.

Is there a need to have played 1 and 2?

looking forward to trying halo 3 though!

An Fear Bolg
14th-September-2007, 11:08
Did you know that Manhunt wasn't even released in Oceania? They considered it too violent. While Germany didn't even rate the game! smileys/shock.gif

I find that amazing. When I was young, I used to visit my German cousins a bit and you couldn't buy any war-related or violent toys over there. Nocap guns ordinkytanks. My brother and I got great craic out of trying to buythe board game Risk over there. The faces on theGerman toyshop ownerswhen we explained what the game was about! smileys/lol.gif

Mach10
14th-September-2007, 19:37
Anybody have Rugby 08?
The Munster team is well out of date. Has Henderson, Pain and Hallstand(that's how there spelt). Had to transfer Howlett and Tipoki , and create Mafi and Carney.
On the plus side it has the licence for the major international teams as well as Super 14 and Premiership.
Gameplay good enough though the rucking and passing is abit slow.

mickyd
19th-September-2007, 14:11
Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivionsmileys/thumb-up.gif

Brilliant.

Ruck
19th-September-2007, 14:13
Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivionsmileys/thumb-up.gif

Brilliant.

Hugely addictive. I clocked up over 100 hours playing that.

danthefan
19th-September-2007, 15:51
My 1300euro gaming PC has totally died. Sigh...

LZ
19th-September-2007, 16:06
Can't wait for Unreal Tournament 3 to come out for the PS3 in November.

Ruck
26th-September-2007, 16:38
I bought Halo 3 today.smileys/biggrin.gifsmileys/thumb-up.gif

Drick
27th-September-2007, 08:17
Ruck, You Bandwagoner. smileys/lol.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7015663.stm
<DIV =sh>Halo 3 sales top £84m in 24 hours </DIV>

Video game Halo 3 earned more than £84m ($170m) in sales in its first 24 hours on release, according to Microsoft.

The game sets the record for the most money earned in a day by an entertainment product, topping figures set by film Spiderman 3.

Thousands of shops opened at midnight on Monday in the United States as gamers queued for the Xbox 360 title.

But reports of scratched discs have marred the launch, with Microsoft offering to replace them for free. <!- E SF ->

More than 1.4 million people have gone online to play the title since its launch and more than four million online games of Halo 3 were logged in the last 24 hours.

"Halo 3 has become a pop-culture phenomenon," said Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios, in a statement.

Microsoft needs Halo 3 to boost sales of the Xbox 360; despite investing billions of dollars into the Xbox project it has yet to see any meaningful profitable return.

"It's far too early to say what the financial return will be for our investment," Mr Kim told the BBC News website last month.

Microsoft hopes to make a profit on its Xbox in this financial year.

"If we can't make a profit in the year Halo 3 comes out, then when will we?" said Mr Kim.

Microsoft has started a disc replacement service for gamers complaining of scratched copies of a limited edition version of the game.

But gamers have complained it will take two weeks for replacement copies to arrive.

Bosco
27th-September-2007, 08:25
Halo sucks

anthonyl
27th-September-2007, 11:42
bring on Crysis, HL2 Ep. 2......

All you Oblivion fans...try Baldurs Gate 2 .....at least 300 hours of gaming in it...classic game

Hamstring
27th-September-2007, 12:51
never been much of a gamerbut did have ps1, ps2 consoles before and played them moderately. Recently bought a Wii and have to say I am on way to becoming addicted. Resident Evil 4 has to be one of the most fun zombie killing games I ever played. Am currently playing Zelda which is my first time ever playing that "franchise". Finding it entertaining, frustrating, weird &amp; wonderful all at once.Myyoung nieces &amp; nephewslove the whole Wii Sports &amp; Wii Play games. And even theg/f has become a bit of a gamer which has led to an issue with "game time"!!!

Anyone recommend any other good Wii games out there?

Bosco
27th-September-2007, 12:56
only played a fewmin of it but spiderman 3 was a bit of fun on the Wii, but dont know how good it is really

so infact this post was pointlesssmileys/lol.gif

got Madden 08(PS2) yesterday, not a big fan of american football as a sport, but the game is good.

Hamstring
27th-September-2007, 12:57
@@@@SPAN =storyline>Game firm calls for console price cut@@@@/SPAN>
@@@@SPAN =storytime>27/09/2007 - 14:17:31@@@@/SPAN>

<DIV =storytools>

</DIV>Lara Croft computer games publisher Sci Entertainment today revealed extra losses of almost £10 million and called on manufacturer Sony to cut the price of the PlayStation 3 console.

Sci has increased provisions on its PS3 titles in development from £4m (€5.7m) to £13.8m (€8.1m) since an initial profits warning in July.

It said the PS3 console could take longer than expected to become a commercial success and wants Sony to act to boost console sales.

Sci said: “The board is of the opinion that the key driver to the acceleration of the installed base of PS3 will be a further hardware price cut."

Hamstring
27th-September-2007, 13:01
only played a fewmin of it but spiderman 3 was a bit of fun on the Wii, but dont know how good it is really

so infact this post was pointlesssmileys/lol.gif

got Madden 08(PS2) yesterday, not a big fan of american football as a sport, but the game is good.

The effort was noted though Bosco smileys/razz.gifThanks.

Actually have Madden 07 for the Wii which is good fun and makes me look like a complete prat throwing &amp; trying to catch the ball. Actually...been made look like a prat is one of the charms of the Wii.

Bosco
27th-September-2007, 13:07
its hard work too, was playin Wii sports, the boxin game in it, i was wrecked after it, my arms were soresmileys/lol.gif

if i wasn't broke i'd get a Wiismileys/sad.gif

Ellethebod
27th-September-2007, 13:10
<DIV>Ah Nintendo Wii, the only reason I offer to babysit the cousins</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>smileys/lol.gif</DIV>

who?
27th-September-2007, 13:36
Have had a few drunken Wii nights in with friends. Great fun trying to
watch drunken people trying to box. Especially the girls (don't make me
draw you a picture..)

Games designed for the console have been very good, but ports of
games from other consoles have been awful. The graphics can look
dreadful and the controls feel more awkward than a gamepad.

An Fear Bolg
27th-September-2007, 13:43

Don't bother with Far Cry anyway. Got it with mine. It's ok for about an hour but not much going for it. I'm between Resi 4 and Zelda for my next buy. Any votes either way from people?

Otherwise drunken wii is the funniest thing it's possible to see. Followed by expressions of people who walk past your house while you play the wii in the sitting room with the curtains open.

Hamstring
27th-September-2007, 14:11

Don't bother with Far Cry anyway. Got it with mine. It's ok for about an hour but not much going for it. I'm between Resi 4 and Zelda for my next buy. Any votes either way from people?

Resi 4 wins for me.

Hamstring
27th-September-2007, 14:16
its hard work too, was playin Wii sports, the boxin game in it, i was wrecked after it, my arms were soresmileys/lol.gif

if i wasn't broke i'd get a Wiismileys/sad.gif

They have the potential to be even more expensive too.... my 7yr old niece is gonna punch through the tv screen on that boxing game one of these days! And as for trying to explain to her that it's not nice to punch an opponent when he's down........smileys/razz.gif

mickyd
27th-September-2007, 14:21
Can you play xbox games on the xbox 360?

LZ
27th-September-2007, 14:31
I believe you can.

inoverthetop
27th-September-2007, 14:36
Anyone played Warhawk yet?

LZ
27th-September-2007, 14:41
Played it at a mate's house the other day. I thought the game itself was a bit boring but the graphicswere amazing. It's actually available pretty cheap at the online PS3 store.

Hamstring
16th-October-2007, 13:15
Bump.

Anyone recommend any good games for the Wii?

I'm currently playing (addicted to)Zelda: Twilight Princess but my missus isn't a fan. We both loved RE4. Wii Sports was good fun, but limited as was Wii Play. She's looking at Second Trauma? Anyone play that. Obviously, I don't want anything that will keep her on the blooming thing all week (i need some game time too) smileys/lol.gif

claw marked
16th-October-2007, 13:33
Rayman raving rabbids is pretty good fun. Its gotten nearly as much play time in my gaff as sports.

LZ
16th-October-2007, 13:51
I really can't see what people see in the Wii. The few times I've played on it, the novelty wore off after about ten minutes.

Any Counter Strike players on here willing for a game some time in the future? Really got back into this game a few weeks ago. I'd forgotten how addictive it was!

anthonyl
16th-October-2007, 14:11
Anyone play Half Life 2 Ep 2 yet?

LZ
16th-October-2007, 14:16
Not available on the PS3 until next month! smileys/sad.gif

claw marked
16th-October-2007, 14:17
Anyone play Half Life 2 Ep 2 yet?

I tried to - I'm a victim of the imfamous 'looping sound crash bug' for which there is no cure apparentlysmileys/mad.gif

From the bits I played in between crashes its pretty good though

The Word Is Born
16th-October-2007, 14:23
<DIV>Halo 3 and Bill Gates gave my X-Box 360 bad AIDS. Still waiting for the shipping labels from MS. Plus to add to the general sense of fubarness my laptop decided to die at the weekend.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So I'll be without the 360 for about 5/6 weeks and will also have to shell out for a PC, as I'll get better bang for my buck compared to a laptop.</DIV>

beanflick
16th-October-2007, 14:43
Do a lot of traveling so was thinking of getting a slim psp any advice ??
New football manager and tiger 08 will be first purchases game wise

Hamstring
18th-October-2007, 14:46
Do a lot of traveling so was thinking of getting a slim psp any advice ??
New football manager and tiger 08 will be first purchases game wise

Was very jealous of a couple of youngfellas on a long haul flight earlier this year that had the psp. Plumped for the DS though as a present for the missus (her request) smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif. Only played a few games on it, the Brain Training one which is grand cos you can only really give it 30 mins a day. The other games she got were a bit pants though. If i had had my way it would have been the psp for me.

danthefan
18th-October-2007, 17:44
I've a DS, they're pretty cool. Depends on what kind of games you're into though. Sent my PC off for repair too, when I found out HL2 EP2 was out that was it for me. Also considering buying a PS3 now that the price has come down again, but will probably have to save up a bit.

When the PC comes back Bioshock is also on my shopping list, and possibly World in Conflict. I have a lot of RTS games though that I haven't beaten so not totally sure on that one.

Roll Away
18th-October-2007, 18:18
New Football manager out tomorrow:-) and Pro Evo 2008 next week, I think I'm going to need time off work. Anybody know if the new Rugby game will be out on the PS3 os will I have to wait till the 09 version comesout?

Ruck
18th-October-2007, 18:20
I was actually thinking of getting a Nintendo DS for that brain training thing as my memory is diabolical. would you recommend it, DTF?

danthefan
18th-October-2007, 18:30
I don't have brain training I'm afraid, I do have Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (you play a lawyer and have to solve cases), Advance Wars (turn based strategy) and Final Fantasy III and I think they're all great. There's a new Zelda out on it tomorrow too if that floats your boat. They're not really anything like a traditional console, so I'd say it's really a subjective thing. I'm delighted with mine anyway.

Ruck
18th-October-2007, 19:03
sounds good, might buy one for myself for the birthday in december.

danthefan
19th-October-2007, 04:38
Forgot to mention, they're region free too which is pretty handy.

ClanMan
19th-October-2007, 05:16
Anybody know if the new Rugby game will be out on the PS3 os will I have to wait till the 09 version comesout?

I hope you're not talking about EA Rugby 08: worst computer game ever! It's a shocker. EA should be ashamed of themselves

Hamstring
19th-October-2007, 08:11
Ruck, the Brain Training games are fun. Voice recognition on a couple of the sections can be a bit hit and miss and you find yourself roaring SCISSORS or PAPER an awful lot. Like i said, the Brain Training is something you will play everyday for about half an hour, then do your brain age check which will take 5 mins and that's pretty much it until the following day.

Sarsfield
19th-October-2007, 09:56
Anybody know if the new Rugby game will be out on the PS3 os will I have to wait till the 09 version comesout?

I hope you're not talking about EA Rugby 08: worst computer game ever! It's a shocker. EA should be ashamed of themselves

EA. Shame at crapness of a game. Same sentance?

Shurely shome mishtake???

LZ
19th-October-2007, 10:01
The Football Manager 2008 demo is awesome. Took the day off college (I know, terrible of me) to get addicted to it. I've done a whole season with Birmingham City already. Won the League Cup and finished fifth in the Premier League -also did the double over the Villa! smileys/cool.gif

Hamstring
19th-October-2007, 11:24
The Football Manager 2008 demo is awesome. Took the day off college (I know, terrible of me) to get addicted to it. I've done a whole season with Birmingham City already. Won the League Cup and finished fifth in the Premier League -also did the double over the Villa! smileys/cool.gif

Surely there's a problem with the AI on the game then smileys/lol.gif

santos L Halper
19th-October-2007, 11:41
For those of you with a nintendo ds,

You should look at getting a multimedia cartridge like the R4 or something similar

Hamstring
19th-October-2007, 12:17
For those of you with a nintendo ds,

You should look at getting a multimedia cartridge like the R4 or something similar

what will that do? said the tecnically challenged person (i.e. me)http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif

santos L Halper
19th-October-2007, 12:25
Hamstring,

It will let you play mp3s, movies and look at picture/read ebookson your ds. The R4 also has the ability to play backups of your games and will also play/run homebrew applications.

Homebrew is the term used for games or applications made by amateur developers

LZ
19th-October-2007, 12:33

Surely there's a problem with the AI on the game then smileys/lol.gif

I've masteredall theFootball Manager games ever since I first started with Championship Manager 3 back in '98. My 4-2-3-1 formation with three good attacking midfielders always does the buisness for me.

danthefan
19th-October-2007, 12:37
Hamstring,

It will let you play mp3s, movies and look at picture/read ebookson your ds. The R4 also has the ability to play backups of your games and will also play/run homebrew applications.

Homebrew is the term used for games or applications made by amateur developers

I've heard of these things, where would be the best place to get one? Are they sold in shops?

santos L Halper
19th-October-2007, 12:47
You can get them online. I don't think you'll get them in a shop in ireland

The cheapest place to get one (&lt;€40) is a hong kong site www.dealextreme.com (http://www.dealextreme.com), but their shipping time is very slow (about 3 weeks).

There are other online shops that sell them and would ship them faster.

I have bought a few of them and they are a great investment. They are very simple to use. I suggest reading up on them a little if you want one. (try the GBAtemp forum, @@@@SPAN =a>www.gbatemp.net (http://www.gbatemp.net)@@@@/SPAN>)

I hope it'sok for me to post links here, apologies if not

danthefan
19th-October-2007, 13:11
Cool well I bought one, only came to about 24 euro, seems there's free shipping on it too.

santos L Halper
19th-October-2007, 13:16
I hope you got a micro sd card too as you will need one for the r4. you put all your files on the micro sd card, just simple drag and drop and bob's your uncle.

danthefan
19th-October-2007, 13:32
Hmmm no I don't but found a 4GB one for 40 euro too, so happy days I guess.

santos L Halper
19th-October-2007, 14:19
Argos are selly Zelda for the wii for €24.99 half the normal price. I think the offer runs until the 23rd oct.

Hamstring
19th-October-2007, 14:29
Argos are selly Zelda for the wii for €24.99 half the normal price. I think the offer runs until the 23rd oct.

Saw that advertised alright...typical... paid full whack for it a few weeks ago. Great game though once you get into it. And great value for money at that price.

danthefan
22nd-October-2007, 10:56
PC is up and running again, so I just bought BioShock, and HL2EP2 should be finished downloading by the time I get home. Anyone played either?

Found out Gears of War is out on the PC on the 6th of November or so too for any PC people out there.

Sarsfield
23rd-October-2007, 07:51
PC is up and running again, so I just bought BioShock, and HL2EP2 should be finished downloading by the time I get home. Anyone played either?

Found out Gears of War is out on the PC on the 6th of November or so too for any PC people out there.

BioShock = Class, class, class
HLEP2 - I've not played any of the HL games but the Orange Box for €40 from Play is seriously tempting (HL2, HL2EPs 1 &amp; 2, Team Fortress 2 &amp; Portal).

mickyd
23rd-October-2007, 08:33

HLEP2 - I've not played any of the HL games but the Orange Box for €40 from Play is seriously tempting (HL2, HL2EPs 1 &amp; 2, Team Fortress 2 &amp; Portal).

Don't like Bioshock at all!

Halo3 is much better.

Can't wait for Mass Effect on the Xbox.

Must get the orange box also, I loved the original on the pc.

Ruck
23rd-October-2007, 09:09
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of assassin's creed. it's out in november sometime but i'm not sure of the date. the game looks incredible.

mickyd
23rd-October-2007, 09:12
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of assassin's creed. it's out in november sometime but i'm not sure of the date. the game looks incredible.

Yeah that is another great looking game.

Love any assassination games.

danthefan
23rd-October-2007, 09:35

Buy the Orange Box, post-haste. I guarantee you won't regret it. HL2+episodes are amazing, IMO some of the best battles in any game. Can't recommend it highly enough, and €40 is a pretty good deal.

Took me for feckin' ever yo get BioShock to install, but it's up and running now. Only played for about 20 minutes but on first impressions I think I'm going to enjoy it.

Ruck
24th-October-2007, 14:14
BBC Top Gear goes virtual on PS3

Episodes will be downloaded online
Gamers will be able to download episodes of BBC Two show Top Gear inside video game Gran Turismo 5.
Forty episodes of the popular motoring show will be available on a dedicated Gran Turismo TV channel accessed via the PlayStation 3's online network.

Gran Turismo is the world's most popular racing video game series, with more than 47 million copies sold.

The test track used by Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond will be recreated inside GT5.

Virtual drivers will be able to race the hundreds of cars licensed inside the game around the track featured in the show.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is due for release in 2008. GT TV will also feature news and features about the motoring world.

"We're sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV," said Kazunori Yamauchi, president of the game's developers Polyphony Digital, in a statement.

Simon Danker, director of digital media at BBC Worldwide said: "We're thrilled to make Top Gear accessible to Gran Turismo gamers."

LZ
24th-October-2007, 14:23
Brilliant. All we need now is The Stig to be included.

inoverthetop
25th-October-2007, 09:31
BBC Top Gear goes virtual on PS3

Episodes will be downloaded online
Gamers will be able to download episodes of BBC Two show Top Gear inside video game Gran Turismo 5.
Forty episodes of the popular motoring show will be available on a dedicated Gran Turismo TV channel accessed via the PlayStation 3's online network.

Gran Turismo is the world's most popular racing video game series, with more than 47 million copies sold.

The test track used by Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond will be recreated inside GT5.

Virtual drivers will be able to race the hundreds of cars licensed inside the game around the track featured in the show.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is due for release in 2008. GT TV will also feature news and features about the motoring world.

"We're sure that players will be as thrilled as we are when they get the chance to put their own driving skills to the test on the Top Gear Test Track in GT5, as well as enjoying classic episodes of Top Gear via GT TV," said Kazunori Yamauchi, president of the game's developers Polyphony Digital, in a statement.

Simon Danker, director of digital media at BBC Worldwide said: "We're thrilled to make Top Gear accessible to Gran Turismo gamers."

Chief
25th-October-2007, 10:09
It would want to be!

danthefan
29th-October-2007, 09:41
Downloaded the Crysis demo last night (all 1.77gb of it), but it seems like it's going to be really good. There are a couple of annoying things with the demo but hopefully they'll be removed in the final version. I'll recommend anyone who likes shooters to download the demo.

anthonyl
2nd-November-2007, 12:33
Playing The Witcher on PC at the moment ....brilliant game, outstanding effort by CDProjekt...any RPG fans should get it...based on the books by Polish author Andrez Sapkowski

danthefan
9th-November-2007, 05:29
Been playing the Witcher and Bioshock recently, really enjoying the both of them.

Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War both out for the PC today, not sure which one to buy at the moment...

Ruck
16th-November-2007, 19:29
I bought Assassin's Creed today.smileys/biggrin.gif Haven't played it yet. Advice is to shop around.

There was €20 difference in the price between two shops no more than 10 metres away from each other.

virgin in the crescent: 55 euro
gamestop in the crescent: 75 euro

shocking

Ruck
20th-November-2007, 19:10
I bought Assassin's Creed today.smileys/biggrin.gif Haven't played it yet. Advice is to shop around.

There was €20 difference in the price between two shops no more than 10 metres away from each other.

virgin in the crescent: 55 euro
gamestop in the crescent: 75 euro

shocking

BEST. GAME. EVER.

heinekenhopeful
20th-November-2007, 21:52
Sex. Totally and truly. Just escaped from thescene by blending in with some monks. Best game ever?

Bosco
22nd-November-2007, 14:58
I GOT A PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smileys/biggrin.gif

Ruck
22nd-November-2007, 15:02
Did you get Assassin's Creed with it? It's worthless without that gaming masterpiece.

Bosco
22nd-November-2007, 15:04
that will be purchased soon enoughsmileys/cool.gif

danthefan
22nd-November-2007, 15:17
Will probably get Assassins Creed as soon as it appears on PC.

who?
22nd-November-2007, 16:15
Just bought it today for the 360, looking forward to getting home and giving it a go.

mackTheKnife
22nd-November-2007, 16:51
Ok ... so let the flame war begin ! smileys/biggrin.gif

PS3 !!! What a WASTE of money !!!! </font>

All I have to say is Gears Of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, BioShock, PGR4 etc etc + almost every other game worth playing on the (except Resistance FOM) PS3 but on the console they were designed for.

Got a premium 360 + 2 games (H3 + PGR4) + entertainment pack (steering wheel + peddels, dvd remote, extra controller + some other junk) from Argos for 370

Just got to save for the 50inch full HD thats going to go on one side of my living room. Wonder if you can get one thats load bearing smileys/lol.gif

LZ
22nd-November-2007, 17:19
Someone offeredme €400 for my PS3 (with memory card, two controllers, etc.) and three games today. Question is, do I take it? I'm seriously considering it. Just don't have the time to play on it anymore. I'm eitherout or on the PC! smileys/lol.gif

Would only be making a slight loss on it all, too.

Oh and Call of Duty 4 is incredible.

mickyd
26th-November-2007, 10:53
Anybody use broadband for online gaming with their PS3/xbox360?

What broadband do you have? What speed is needed for gaming?

I rent at the moment so would prob needwireless internet, any suggestions?

who?
26th-November-2007, 12:06
I've used my 360 online, but not for gaming, just for downloads, messaging etc.

The "Best" option would be one of the fixed wireless services (such as Irish Broadband's Breeze service), as they offer very fast 2-way communications. However, they're expensive, require a dish to be put up, and are available in limited areas.

For DSL, go for Smart Telecom. Fastest upload from a DSL line that I've seen (640Kb), very fast downloads (up to 7Mb) and - here's a biggie - no contention. If the speed advertised is 7Mb, that's what you get. Unlike Eircom, you're not sharing it with 23, or 47+other people.

who?
26th-November-2007, 12:12
Played Assassin's Creed, and OMG is it fuppin' amazing looking. If ever a game was made to justify buying a 360 and HD TV, this is it. The detail and complexity of the cities is breathtaking. And the quality and smoothness of the animations is excellent.

The gameplay seems a bit repetitive though. Climb a tower, save a citizen, pick a pocket. Repeat ad-nauseum.

Still, being chased across roof-tops and up and down walls is great fun, as is getting into sword/knife fights just for the hell of it! smileys/biggrin.gif

heinekenhopeful
26th-November-2007, 12:39
And starting fights in the crowd and seeing who'll take on a man with a swordsmileys/lol.gif

who?
26th-November-2007, 12:51
I still can't beat the Templars, unless I manage to sneak up on one. They kick my bum.

I have got the knack of turning and running down to a tee though!

I'm always amazed too that I can be running and jumping off buildings, then I take a swan dive off the edge and land in haycart. How the hell did they know where I was going to jump? Clever programmers..

Ruck
26th-November-2007, 12:58
I still can't beat the Templars, unless I manage to sneak up on one. They kick my bum.

I have got the knack of turning and running down to a tee though!

I'm always amazed too that I can be running and jumping off buildings, then I take a swan dive off the edge and land in haycart. How the hell did they know where I was going to jump? Clever programmers..

Templars are easy. Just stand there and wait for them to attack you, then counter attack.

Best attack i've done on somebody is waiting for them to pass me by while i sit on a bench, locked onto them and as they walk by, hop off the bench and kill them, quality stuff.

who?
26th-November-2007, 13:27
Templars are easy. Just stand there and wait for them to attack you, then counter attack.

Doesn't seem to work for me, too often when I'm blocking he grabs and throws me to the ground before I can counter. &lt;wimp&gt;

I do love being able to grab one guy, throw him against a second knocking them both, then taking on the third all alone. Giggity!

Ruck
26th-November-2007, 13:29
I haven't mastered running away yet, so i just stand and kick ass.smileys/cool.gif

The Gaffer
26th-November-2007, 13:33
Anyone find all the Maysaf flags yet? Also the beggars really annoy me! "Please...just a few coins".

Ruck
26th-November-2007, 13:39
just smack the beggar upside the head and they feck off. the guards won't chase you if you're just punching somebody. it's when thesword is drawn you're in trouble.

who?
26th-November-2007, 14:04
Anyone find all the Maysaf flags yet? Also the beggars really annoy me! "Please...just a few coins".

U think the beggars are bad, wait (SLAP!)'til u (SLAP!)meet the (SLAP!)loonies(SLAP!)

* you'll understand that sentence when you play that mission! smileys/lol.gif

Ruck
26th-November-2007, 14:09
Those loonies only become more frequent after you meet them first. punch them too. smileys/lol.gif

An Fear Bolg
26th-November-2007, 14:14
Maybe you should change this thread to the Assassins Creed thread?

smileys/doubt.gif

[/jealous]

who?
26th-November-2007, 14:15
Hmmm, Ruck. I'm beginning to sense a pattern... smileys/wink.gif

The Gaffer
26th-November-2007, 14:32
yea,loonies normally smack ye before u can hit them though.Running assassination on the archers on the roofs...sweet.

Ruck
26th-November-2007, 14:38

If it moves, punch it, if it doesn't move, climb it. smileys/lol.gif

Bosco
26th-November-2007, 15:45
smileys/sad.gif

heinekenhopeful
27th-November-2007, 15:03

If it moves, punch it, if it doesn't move, climb it. smileys/lol.gif

...if it doesn't move, demolish it with your sword and make a handy roadblock smileys/biggrin.gif

Roll Away
27th-November-2007, 15:13
Just got it at the weekend on the PS3, absolulty unbelievable. When you get to a new city and the camera scrolls across looks breathtaking. I'm addicted already.

danthefan
28th-November-2007, 20:05
Crysis: lovely looking game, great fun, but a little ridiculous. The enemy AI seems completely s**te to me. You could have about 10 enemies around a corner (they'll just stay there), you can stealth, nip round the corner, pop one in the face (which unstealths you) then just run back around the corner so they can't see you, rinse and repeat.

carney
28th-November-2007, 20:18
went up and got the NES out of my parents attic, brilliant! mario, mario 3, megaman 2, marble madness, ghost n goblins - im addicted again.

dropkick
29th-November-2007, 13:21
Assasins Creed looks great but is boring so rent before buying.

I got PES 2008 just to play online only to find out it doesn't work online (I've an xbox 360). Its dosn't even work offline on the PS3 and the makers Konami have admitted it was rushed out. So beware!

The Word Is Born
29th-November-2007, 17:02
Call of Duty 4 is class. Just fired it up for an hour or so last night and first impressions are very good. Also bought Assassins Creed, Bioshock and Mass Effect.smileys/cool.gif Assassins Creed is a bit slow to get into though.

dsennah
29th-November-2007, 22:26
Call of Duty 4 is a fantastic game with some seriously smileys/shock.gifmoments but the singleplayer game is very short. About 6 hours start to finish. Online multiplayer isn't my thing but it's supposedlyheaps better.

There's an extra little mission after thetitles (which are almost as long as the game) finish.

anthonyl
1st-December-2007, 11:54
Dan have you finished the Witcher? what did you make of it....what's the verdict on Mass Effect lads?

danthefan
1st-December-2007, 19:47
Dan have you finished the Witcher? what did you make of it....what's the verdict on Mass Effect lads?

No I haven't in Chapter 3, put a good few hours in, and still really enjoying it.

LZ
2nd-December-2007, 10:54
Echo the comments about Call of Duty 4 . . . what a f**king game!

Roll Away
2nd-December-2007, 12:39
Assasins Creed looks great but is boring so rent before buying.

I got PES 2008 just to play online only to find out it doesn't work online (I've an xbox 360). Its dosn't even work offline on the PS3 and the makers Konami have admitted it was rushed out. So beware!
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Got PES 2008 for the PS3 and it works fine, Rarely works online though, only had 2 games. I think the problem with it on the PS3 starts when you save it to the hard drive, it starts stalling then for some reason.</DIV>

James Lynch
2nd-December-2007, 13:40
went up and got the NES out of my parents attic, brilliant! mario, mario 3, megaman 2, marble madness, ghost n goblins - im addicted again.

http://www.munsterfans.com//uploads/images/JamesLynch/Classically_Trained_Nin_lin_116_115_88.jpg

heinekenhopeful
3rd-December-2007, 13:49
Ah it was the sega for me. Sonic, golden axe, streets of rage, metal slug, the list goes on, and mortal kombat with the red blood smileys/cool.gif retro

who?
3rd-December-2007, 14:01
Dan have you finished the Witcher?** what did you
make of it....what's the verdict on Mass Effect lads?

Early days yet, but mixed feelings.

The storyline, premise, setting and species are interesting enough,
but many of the early activities are fairly dull. Speak to person A,
speak to person B, give reply to person A. Have a biscuit.

In fact, if you don't like talking, you won't like the game.

There are a LOT of systems/planets in the game, though as you
move about a bit you see it's still a bit limited; there are some
planets you can 'dock' on, so you can get out and perform a mission
on foot, some you can drop a vehicle on but only small, square, and
very dull area, and some you can just scan from space.

It's a bit like Final Fantasy crossed with a first-person shooter.

who?
3rd-December-2007, 14:03
Call of Duty 4 is class. Just fired it up for
an hour or so last night and first impressions are very good. Also
bought Assassins Creed, Bioshock and Mass Effect.smileys/cool.gif Assassins Creed is
a bit slow to get into though.

smileys/lol.gif

We won't be seeing much of you in the near future so!

The Word Is Born
31st-December-2007, 00:58
Call of Duty 4 is class. Just fired it up for

an hour or so last night and first impressions are very good. Also

bought Assassins Creed, Bioshock and Mass Effect.smileys/cool.gif Assassins Creed is

a bit slow to get into though.

smileys/lol.gif

We won't be seeing much of you in the near future so!

As dsennah mentions COD4 is short but I'm going to back and play on veteran level, chernobyl is going to be a real killer. I'm not overly wowed with Assassins Creed but by lucifer's beard is Bioshock a game and a half. Little Sisters and Big Daddies. I've only just come against the Houdini Splicerssmileys/shock.gif. Best game ever? It's certainly up there with N64 Goldeneye. Mass Effect hasn't been touched yet.

On another note I bought Scene It in Smyths the other day for 40 yo-yo's, like buzz but with wireless buzzers. Sweet.smileys/cool.gif

Mucky Boots
31st-December-2007, 01:25
Starting to really get into Assassin's Creed, rented it there for the PS3 I got for Christmas. Graphics are breathtaking, though it does get a bit repetative.

Everyone who has a console that can play The Orange Box, buy it. Half-Life 2 is one of the greatest FPSs ever, Portal is the best puzzle game since Tetris and Team Fortress 2 is surprisingly good fun online.

The Word Is Born
31st-December-2007, 01:29
I think it's on sale in Game for around 40 beans.

Mucky Boots
31st-December-2007, 01:33
I think it's on sale in Game for around 40 beans.

Then what are you waiting for? smileys/shock.gif Run, purchase it now! If the shop is closed, smash the window and leave the money in the till! Slicing headcrab zombies in two with a razor blade using your Gravity Gun is the funniest and most enjoyable thing since sliced bread!*

*sliced bread having only been invented the previous winter.

The Word Is Born
31st-December-2007, 01:35
You're not the boss of me.

danthefan
31st-December-2007, 11:44
Got a Wii with Super Mario Galaxy for Xmas, great fun altogether. Also have Metroid Prime 3 for it but still in the middle of Metroid Prime 2 so holding off on that for the minute.

Mucky Boots
31st-December-2007, 11:55
Got a Wii with @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Super Mario Galaxy@@@@/SPAN> for Xmas, great fun altogether. Also have Metroid Prime 3 for it but still in the middle of Metroid Prime 2 so holding off on that for the minute.

Gamespot's Game of the Year for 2007.

Ruck
31st-December-2007, 11:59
Got a Wii with @@@@SPAN style="font-weight: bold;">Super Mario Galaxy@@@@/SPAN> for Xmas, great fun altogether. Also have Metroid Prime 3 for it but still in the middle of Metroid Prime 2 so holding off on that for the minute.

yeah, because that means a lot, after the Kane and Lynch debaclesmileys/lol.gif

Mucky Boots
31st-December-2007, 12:00

At least they didn't aware K&amp;L Game of the Year...smileys/lol.gif

Ruck
31st-December-2007, 12:07

At least they didn't aware K&amp;L Game of the Year...smileys/lol.gif

In fairness, that would have been awesomesmileys/lol.gif

Ruck
9th-January-2008, 17:15
HELP.
My new tv arrived today. Bought a HDMI connection for the xbox. I can get picture, but no sound. Where am i supposed to plug the audio connections? i've tried all the red and white audio slots i could see and got nada.

The Word Is Born
9th-January-2008, 17:16
The XBox doesn't have HDMI output, except for the Elite.

Ruck
9th-January-2008, 17:20
Balls.smileys/lol.gif

The Word Is Born
9th-January-2008, 17:21
Either use component (all six leads) or the DVI input for picture and hook up the audio to either the tv/amp.

munster_mafia
9th-January-2008, 17:26
my xbox has broken, cant open cd drawer, red light is flashing around the power button. Out if garauntee by a week. Anyone have similar problem, know what to do?

Bosco
9th-January-2008, 17:33
i'll give ya €50 for your telly, rucksmileys/biggrin.gif

brophya2006
9th-January-2008, 17:34
my xbox has broken, cant open cd drawer, red light is flashing around the power button. Out if garauntee by a week. Anyone have similar problem, know what to do?

Under the CD Tray there should be a small pin hole, if you put a pin in there the drawer should open.

munster_mafia
9th-January-2008, 17:44
thanks very much brophya,ill give it ago when i get home.

Chief
9th-January-2008, 18:00
Have any of you egg-box or PC gamers played Half-Life 2: Orange Box? I've a new laptop on the way and I'm humming and hawing between this or Call of Duty 4.

alexmcred
9th-January-2008, 18:07

Also get a strongvacuumand hover it all out. Did that with mine and worked OK after it. Also all xbox's360's and black ones have a two year warranty now.if less than 2 yrs old they will collect and return it.

The Word Is Born
9th-January-2008, 18:13
Have any of you egg-box or PC gamers played Half-Life 2: Orange Box? I've a new laptop on the way and I'm humming and hawing between this or Call of Duty 4.

Get both.
COD4 is something else.

skeesicks
9th-January-2008, 18:42
I haven't played COD4, but have the Orange box since it came out. It's probably the best value bundle you'll ever buy. And since you're on PC, you'l have the added benefit of all the custom maps people have made for Portal and TF2.
I'm still playing TF2 online after all this time. The 32 player servers are mental fun.

Also finished the Witcher at the weekend. Excellent game, although the last couple of chapters feel a bit rushed. To anyone that's got this, it's well worth getting the last patch (1.2) since it makes a massive improvement to load times going in and out of buildings and whatnot.

Chief
9th-January-2008, 19:03

Get both.
COD4 is something else.

Have a feeling I'll end up doing that alright. I'd heard though that the single player in COD 4 is a bit short, is it? I think there are over 30+ hours of single player action in Half Life 2smileys/surprised.gifB when you factor in episode 1 and 2.

The Word Is Born
9th-January-2008, 19:11

Get both.
COD4 is something else.

Have a feeling I'll end up doing that alright. I'd heard though that the single player in COD 4 is a bit short, is it? I think there are over 30+ hours of single player action in Half Life 2smileys/surprised.gifB when you factor in episode 1 and 2.

The egg-box version is short in single player mode, but to get all the achievements takes a lot longer. The multiplayer is supposed to be the bee's patellas. Chernobyl on veteran.smileys/shock.gif

The Word Is Born
9th-January-2008, 19:13
Check this out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxtt5w8Ob4)

Or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIu-FymZQSw&amp;feature=related)

sparks
9th-January-2008, 20:51
Whats the story with the lack of games available for the PS3 at the moment, just about scraped the money together!!

The Word Is Born
9th-January-2008, 20:56
They are scrapping the PS3 due to poor sales.

sparks
9th-January-2008, 21:04
i fecking doubt it!!

danthefan
9th-January-2008, 21:34
Also finished the Witcher at the weekend. Excellent game, although the last couple of chapters feel a bit rushed. To anyone that's got this, it's well worth getting the last patch (1.2) since it makes a massive improvement to load times going in and out of buildings and whatnot.

Just downloaded the 1.2 patch and they really did a job on the loading times alright. They're a fraction of what they were. On Ch4 now and still enjoying it. It's not very hard though on the medium setting, Igni is way too overpowered. Excellent game though you're right.

heinekenhopeful
9th-January-2008, 22:23
Check this out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJxtt5w8Ob4)

Or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIu-FymZQSw&amp;feature=related)

Mother of god, i'd seen it being played but i liked that. plus i was bricking it during the first video. might be time to cut down on the coffee. the orange box is well worth the money. especially if you can get it online for 50 dollars. if you save money on it, buy both! simple solution smileys/wink.gif

Mucky Boots
9th-January-2008, 22:27
Chief, I would definitely recommend The Orange Box. Have it for the PS3 and it's top notch.smileys/thumb-up.gif

SIMBA
9th-January-2008, 23:34
Badly need an unused, unopened, wii if anyone can get one from anywhere. Sewa's baby bro's birthday on Fri.

Any help much appreciated. Do it for me not him, the b*****d.

danthefan
10th-January-2008, 08:07
Got Rogue Galaxy the other day on the cheap from play.com, I'm definitely an RPG fan so quite enjoying it. Battle system is fairly different from what you'd traditionally find.

Also, play.com will be selling God of War 2 for 23 euro from the 11th of Jan. I'll possibly have to renege on my vow to not spend money between now and June.

who?
10th-January-2008, 11:43
Badly need an unused, unopened, wii if anyone can
get one from anywhere. Sewa's baby bro's birthday on Fri.

Any help much appreciated. Do it for me not him, the
b*****d.

Good luck with that! You might be better off looking for a mint-condition
second hand Wii; then rather than handing him some opened boxes, set
it up on the TV and see how long it takes him to notice it! smileys/wink.gif

(Sister had the same problem finding one at Christmas for her children,
we had to do something similar).

Chief
10th-January-2008, 12:35
Badly need an unused, unopened, wii if anyone can get one from anywhere. Sewa's baby bro's birthday on Fri.

Any help much appreciated. Do it for me not him, the b*****d.

Just get him a swing ball set. We didn't need no Wii back in the 80's! And you can still burst yourself playing it.