PDA

View Full Version : Are we holding the smaller nations back

Christy
2nd-October-2011, 00:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpLG7dJuieU&feature=player_embedded

This argument comes up at every world cup is it time the IRB and the powers that be restructured the 6 nations and tri-nations (4 nations next year) to help develop rugby in the so called tier 2 countries

SecondRowGal
2nd-October-2011, 01:01
Watching Samoa who should have won against the Boks, and Tonga wallop France, only for them to go out now makes me think it might be an idea to add a plate/bowl competition for the bottom three teams in the groups?? Those especially in 3rd place have shown that they can play with the big boys. Would it not be an idea to then give them another competition to play in for some real glory, rather than just a participation medal?? They will have travelled anyway so another week/two weeks of games with knockouts/QFs, etc., would be a good thing for their development I think.

BTW, it's about 23C in Dinedin today!! Weird as... :)

Cathal
2nd-October-2011, 01:15
Watching Samoa who should have won against the Boks, and Tonga wallop France, only for them to go out now makes me think it might be an idea to add a plate/bowl competition for the bottom three teams in the groups?? Those especially in 3rd place have shown that they can play with the big boys. Would it not be an idea to then give them another competition to play in for some real glory, rather than just a participation medal?? They will have travelled anyway so another week/two weeks of games with knockouts/QFs, etc., would be a good thing for their development I think.

BTW, it's about 23C in Dinedin today!! Weird as... :)

Eh, on what planet? They were damned lucky they scored their try as there was a stone-cold penalty to SA in the scrum preceding the score.

SecondRowGal
2nd-October-2011, 01:35
On this planet Cathal, less of the snide remarks thanks very much.

And what about the "penalty" for being held when Lemming (??) was racing for the line, obviously NOT held and almost in for a try?? Match defining moment in my opinion. And the Samoans gave their everything whilst it looked to me that SA for just there to get through (nothing wrong with that of course, just saying I think it was way tighter than even the score and could so easily have gone the other way).

Cathal
2nd-October-2011, 02:05
On this planet Cathal, less of the snide remarks thanks very much.

And what about the "penalty" for being held when Lemming (??) was racing for the line, obviously NOT held and almost in for a try?? Match defining moment in my opinion. And the Samoans gave their everything whilst it looked to me that SA for just there to get through (nothing wrong with that of course, just saying I think it was way tighter than even the score and could so easily have gone the other way).

Snide? Whatever you say.

Lemi.

What about the Saffer 'try' that went to the TMO and wasn't given? The Saffers were 2 scores ahead for most of the game, they didn't look like losing and but for a dodgy call, nearly held the Samoans scoreless.
You could play that gave another 50 times and if Samoa won one of those, I'd be surprised.

Aussiedub
2nd-October-2011, 02:31
There needs to be more tests against the 2nd tier nations - everytime a NH team goes down on a summer tour they should have to play games also against Samoa/Tonga/Fiji and when the the SH teams come up they should play the likes of Georgia etc......We should also try to bring in Romania/Georgia/Russia etc and have them play in the "A" 6 Nations.

bazzyg
2nd-October-2011, 06:18
There needs to be more tests against the 2nd tier nations - everytime a NH team goes down on a summer tour they should have to play games also against Samoa/Tonga/Fiji and when the the SH teams come up they should play the likes of Georgia etc......We should also try to bring in Romania/Georgia/Russia/Scotland etc and have them play in the "A" 6 Nations.
you left one team out

mikerob
4th-October-2011, 09:07
There needs to be more tests against the 2nd tier nations - everytime a NH team goes down on a summer tour they should have to play games also against Samoa/Tonga/Fiji and when the the SH teams come up they should play the likes of Georgia etc......We should also try to bring in Romania/Georgia/Russia etc and have them play in the "A" 6 Nations.

It is pointless just organising more internationals for an additional couple of games a year. To be successful, these teams need to have more full-time professionals playing and training week-in, week-out.

That is one reason for Samoa's succcess. A good proportion of their team are full-time pros and they have an advantage being treated as EU players in Europe.

It is unlikely that Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, Romania and Georgia can support domestic professional competitions (Russia is an exception) so success will really come from more of their players getting professional contracts in other countries.