PDA

View Full Version : All Blacks threaten to boycott 2015 World Cup



McCloud
28th-September-2011, 13:46
rte.ie/sport
New Zealand may pull out of 2015 World Cup
Wednesday 28 September 2011

New Zealand have warned they may be forced to pull out of the 2015 Rugby World Cup unless commercial restrictions surrounding the tournament are eased.

Steve Tew, chief executive of the New Zealand Rugby Union, admitted an All Blacks boycott would be "the very last port of call" but could not be ruled out.

Tew said that competing at the 2011 World Cup had cost the NZRU NZ $13million due to the absence of June Tests and a ban on sponsors for the duration of the World Cup.

The International Rugby Board will complete a review of the World Cup's commercial model after the current tournament.

Tew warned the All Blacks could not afford to compete at the next World Cup, to be staged in England, under the current financial model.

"That's obviously a last resort and our style is to be consultative, collaborative and to try to work with everybody to find a solution," Tew told Radio New Zealand.

"It's putting pressure on the balance sheet and frankly, in the current environment, we just can't afford to run a World Cup-year loss, nor do we think it's necessary."

Tew revealed the NZRU had been pushing the IRB to change the commercial arrangements since the 2003 World Cup and had gone public to try to ensure the issue was finalised.

"Now is not a bad time to make sure the issue is raised and considered, to give ourselves enough time to find a solution without having to go to any drastic measures," Tew added.

Tew explained the bulk of the NZRU's shortfall came from a loss of television revenues and gate receipts - a situation mirrored in all the other leading nations.

The placing of the World Cup as a September-October tournament means that both the June and November touring windows have been scrapped.

Tew wants the IRB to relax rules surrounding the presence of team sponsors at the World Cup, which permits tournament sponsors only.

"In football, the FIFA model, there is room for both sets of sponsors to get some coverage during the World Cup period and we think that's something we should be looking at very seriously," Tew said.

New Zealand hooker Keven Mealamu said it would be "devastating for our country and for rugby players" if the All Blacks missed the 2015 World Cup.

McCloud
28th-September-2011, 13:47
When I saw the head line I thought the boycott was going to be threatened if they did not win 2011 World Cup;)

HurlerOnDeDitch
28th-September-2011, 14:18
Is there something different about New Zealand that they are more effected than other rugby nations?

I can't see how any of the major nations are less effected than the Kiwi's with regard to gate money or TV rights in a World Cup year. In fact New Zealand are the only rugby nation allowed to wear the logo of their main sponsor on their jersey.

They don't seem to have a problem with this World Cup, which is bringing vast amounts of money into New Zealand, but have a problem with the next tournament when the money goes elsewhere.

senanoc
28th-September-2011, 14:29
The Aussies are claiming they will pull out too, unless sponsorship is looked at.

DONC
28th-September-2011, 14:44
Let them off, they wont do it as they will then lose a major strangle hold over their best players. If the top stars know they will not be playing in the next world cup how many will say meah not much point staying here may as well head to the NH.

LondonMunster
28th-September-2011, 14:59
If they can't afford to play - tough. Do they really think pleading poverty is appropriate when some of the "two tier" nations are made up of mainly amateurs giving up their livelihoods to take part in the competition? Maybe if the NZRFU did more to encourage attendances at Super 15 and ITM Cup games it wouldn't be so hard-up.

The only viable Southern Hemisphere union is SA where TV rights and high spectator attendances keep the domestic teams financed. I for one wouldn't miss the hissy fits and gurning of the New Zealand side at a world cup.

Piggybui
28th-September-2011, 15:18
They can't afford not to play either so if it is just one team that has a problem with it then let them go scratch themselves.

bongyhead
28th-September-2011, 15:39
Is there something different about New Zealand that they are more effected than other rugby nations?



Whatever about that, there is absolutely no doubt that New Zealand is the most affected of all rugby nations...

Ulster's Best
28th-September-2011, 17:14
The Aussies are claiming they will pull out too, unless sponsorship is looked at.

Aussies will pull out unless scrummaging is done away with!!! :D

sewa
28th-September-2011, 17:21
Sabre rattling. They will only be in a position to do this if they win the RWC

JohnK
28th-September-2011, 17:24
Sabre rattling. They will only be in a position to do this if they win the RWC

True - when I saw this first, I thought the title was a joke - that the All Blacks were going to boycott the next world cup if they don't get to win this one ;)

Cadroc
28th-September-2011, 18:18
I'd fancy our chances at the next world cup if they all decide to pull out!

Wonder what the odds on Ireland winning this WC AND the next one are!

The Word Is Born
28th-September-2011, 18:39
I'm amazed they haven't come out blaming the French, the English and ourselves for causing them to pay over and above for their own players.

McCloud
28th-September-2011, 21:00
Sure if they pulled out of the 2015 WC would they not end up with even less money? No money from the spring/autumn internationals and no money from the IRB for being in the competition. IRB should call their bluff.

The Word Is Born
28th-September-2011, 21:04
Let them pull out of 2015 and they'll have to qualify for 2019. That should give them the few extra games they are looking for.

McCloud
28th-September-2011, 21:30
Let them pull out of 2015 and they'll have to qualify for 2019. That should give them the few extra games they are looking for.

Works for me. Email on it's way to Steve Tew:)

lactose intolerant
28th-September-2011, 22:00
Let them pull out of 2015 and they'll have to qualify for 2019. That should give them the few extra games they are looking for.

the man is on fire tonight

McCloud
29th-September-2011, 07:37
All Black ‘boycott’ threat sparks response from IRBBy Jim Cook, Auckland
Thursday, September 29, 2011
THE International Rugby Board (IRB) insisted it was committed to addressing the financial concerns over the World Cup that have led to a threat from the All Blacks to boycott the 2015 tournament in England.
While the All Blacks were concentrating on trying to win the competition for the first time in 24 years, the head of the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU), Steve Tew claimed that they could boycott the 2015 event because the World Cup’s current rules mean they lose too much money. Tew said that competing at the current tournament would cost the NZRU more than NZ$13m (€7.5m) because IRB rules forced the curtailment of regular test schedules such as the Tri-Nations and November internationals in Europe, and prevented teams showcasing regular sponsors.

"It’s putting pressure on the balance sheet and frankly, in the current environment, we just can’t afford to run a World Cup-year loss, nor do we think it’s necessary," Tew told New Zealand radio.

Having earlier claimed the prospects of New Zealand competing in 2015 were "very slim", he said there would be more discussions. "(Boycotting’s) a last resort and our style is to be consultative, collaborative and to try to work with everybody to find a solution. We have the support of most of the major unions and a review is not only necessary but now, in our view, urgent."

The IRB responded by saying that a review was set to take place after the current tournament.

"The IRB is already driving forward that process and is committed to working in collaboration with member unions to ensure that it continues to balance the strategic needs of unions with the ability to provide the IRB with the financial platform for the development of a sport that has witnessed an 18% growth in participation since the last World Cup," the IRB said in a statement.

"All tournament commercial revenues are reinvested by the IRB across its 117 member unions during the four-year cycle between tournaments to increase competitiveness and advance development in order that rugby can be a truly global sport.

"The current investment programme is 150m (€172) between 2009 and 2012, with over 50% of the funding invested in tier one unions."



Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/all-black-boycott-threat-sparks-response-from-irb-169074.html#ixzz1ZKCUx68h

blackadder
29th-September-2011, 08:59
They'll never pull out. If there's no WC to aim for the number of All Blacks moving to Europe will multiply and the professional game would be decimated there. It would be a disaster for them.

MunsterTel
29th-September-2011, 09:16
I might be wrong here... But don't the All Blacks forgo any sponsorship of their jersey so they can keep a logo off the front of it? Or did I make that up?

HurlerOnDeDitch
29th-September-2011, 12:13
Their main sopnsors are on the top of their website....and on their jersey.

http://www.allblacks.com/

file:///C:/Users/paul/Pictures/ABLogoHPAni.gif

McCloud
4th-October-2011, 14:18
irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Tuesday, October 4, 2011, 15:06 IRB on collision course with New ZealandRugby : The International Rugby Board (IRB) set themselves on a collision course with New Zealand over their threat to boycott the 2015 World Cup as off-field controversies overshadowed preparations for the quarter-finals.


On a day when Samoan centre Eliota Sapulo Fuimaona was banned from all rugby, Italy hooker Leonardo Ghiraldini suspended for 15 weeks and England centre Manu Tuilagi fined, France were first to name their side for this weekend's matches.
But all of this was overshadowed when the IRB ratcheted up the public relations battle with the New Zealand Rugby Union, telling them they could live without the All Blacks, should they carry out their threat to snub the 2015 tournament.
Last week, NZRU chief executive Steve Tew said they lost NZ$13.2 million ($10 million) in revenue this year because of the World Cup and unless the world governing body changed its commercial model, it would consider not playing in England in four years' time.
"Does the World Cup need the All Blacks? It would be good for the All Blacks to be there," IRB chief executive Mike Miller told local radio. "Everyone is replaceable."
The All Blacks team, however, said they felt any World Cup without them in it would lack legitimacy.
"You've just got to see what rugby means in this country to think of it as inconceivable," All Blacks assistant coach Wayne Smith said.
Utility back Richard Kahui added the World Cup needed all of the top teams to be playing.
"You can't have a World Cup without the All Blacks, without any of the top nations," he said.
"They've all got to be there just to make it a legitimate World Cup."
France coach Marc Lievermont made two changes to his side for the quarter-final against England at Eden Park on Saturday, calling up prop Nicholas Mas and loose forward Imanol Harinordoquy to add some experience to his forward pack.
The French were beaten 19-14 by Tonga in their final Pool A clash and while they were battling reports of division within their camp, the English were wary of the danger they posed.
"I suspect they will be really committed to playing," England lock Tom Palmer told reporters.
"They will see this as being given another chance and what has happened before is irrelevant because it is a one-off knockout match.
"I imagine they realise it. They can say 'screw everything' behind them and 'we can go out and win and go to the semi-finals of the World Cup'. That will be motivation for them."
Samoa centre Sapolu Fuimaono was also suspended from all rugby for failing to appear at a judicial hearing in Auckland on after he criticised Welsh referee Nigel Owens on social networking website Twitter.
The 30-year-old later told Television New Zealand that he had not even been informed of the date and time of the hearing and would fight the charges.
Italy hooker Ghiraldini also fell foul of tournament officials when he was banned for 15 weeks for touching the eyes of Ireland prop Cian Healy during their Pool C clash in Dunedin on Sunday.
Healy was penalised for retaliating after the incident in Ireland's 36-6 victory at Stadium Otago, though television replays showed Ghiraldini's hand was near Healy's eyes as the pair wrestled at the breakdown.
England centre Tuilagi was fined €5,900 for wearing a branded mouthguard, a week after his brother Alesana, the Samoa winger, was fined for the same thing.
Fans annoyed at what they considered the harsh penalty for Alesana, raised thousands of dollars towards his fine with a televised "sausage sizzle" in Auckland.
New Zealand's central government also moved to avoid any further embarrassment as the knockout phase kicks into high gear, having budgeted an additional €2.36 million in spending to cope with any potential congestion in Auckland.
The Auckland City council will also contribute another €590,000.
Six of the final eight matches are to be held at Eden Park, with fan zones in south Auckland and on the North Shore to be activated to provide a focal point for fans to gather without travelling into central Auckland.
An estimated 200,000 people squeezed onto central Auckland's streets for the opening match on September 9th, causing massive delays on public transport that meant some fans missed the game between New Zealand and Tonga at Eden Park.