PDA

View Full Version : Who are our 3 "must stay fit" players this time

Jackdaniels
25th-August-2011, 14:30
Last WC it was BOD Bull and ROG to a lesser extent POC but those three were THEE three

So who are they this time? The 3 we absolutely cannot afford to lose under any circumstances.

I would maybe say

1. POC
2. Ross
3. Healy

we seem to have sufficent back up in all back positions this time even tho obviously BOD would be a massive loss still but not as massive as the 3 above

Boo-boo
25th-August-2011, 14:44
I would have to say:
1.The Forwards
2.The backs
3. The half backs

Bosco
25th-August-2011, 14:47
me...

Dowlinz
25th-August-2011, 15:25
Wouldn't have serious concerns about Court at LH if Healy got injured, I most certainly would with Buckley at TH. Ross is definitely the one we don't want getting an injury.

Beyond that POC would be bad, we saw the difference between POC and Cullen in Bordeaux and it was huge to the rest of the side. I'd add BOD and D'arcy as well purely because we don't have proven replacements for either. You could make an argument for David Wallace as well.

tickettout
26th-August-2011, 07:25
Dowlinz and Jack Daniels are the greatest pain in the arse that ever ventured on the internet.

cemec
26th-August-2011, 07:38
Dowlinz and Jack Daniels are the greatest pain in the arse that ever ventured on the internet.

Well up your game and get your title back then.

;)

Talking Sense
26th-August-2011, 07:38
Hypocrite warning!!

Dowlinz
26th-August-2011, 08:46

Apologies Mrs.Cullen.

Old Dog
26th-August-2011, 10:20

That's a bit hard on this gent (http://www.facebook.com/WeWantNorris), surely?

Red Hand Hero
26th-August-2011, 11:00
If forced to name three it'd probably be:

POC-Because he is probably one of the top four locks in the world.
BOD-Still the best 13 in the NH and whilst the pace might have eroded he's still one hell of a player.
Ross-Because Buckley or Court at THP fills me with nothing but dispair.

I'd also be inclined towards Healy for the above reasoning but Court should just about be able to manage himself. O'Brien on current form would be a huge loss but you've got Ferris coming back so too Wallace and Heaslip gets too much of a hard time around here IMO. There is a level of drop-off to Leamy but he's got a track record of big performances in him. Dorse possibly because of the lack of alternatives/need to reshuffle the backline. Back three are all pretty inter-changeable.

Grandpasimpson
26th-August-2011, 12:00

Glasshouses??

busbi
26th-August-2011, 12:54
In order:

1 - Ross: For obvious reasons, and as a result of terrible mis management of the TH situation by Kidney over the past two seasons, and it could have been far worse had Ross not broken into the Leinster team just in time. If you added up the amount of game time he has given Hayes in that period and instead gave it to Hagan then i'd bet you anything Hagan would have turned out to be an at least compotent international prop, if not more.

2 - POC: Coming back into serious form, and i expect to him to finally show the SH he has the reputation he has in this WC. DOC's lack of form, Cullen never really looking good enough, the lack of options after that and the remarkable influence he can have on the rest of the team.

3 - BOD: Not as crucial as a few seasons ago due a bit of dip in his powers, and the options Earls and perhaps Bowe give use there. Given D'Arcy's form we'd be lost for some leadership in there without him though.

Defo Ross as the major one though. Kidney took a gamble on Hayes (and Buckley) two years ago and it's blown up in his face.

The Spoofer
26th-August-2011, 16:29

Jesus TT, delighted to see you're out. I assume your non posting was a result of a spell in the clink following the looting and rioting.

Anyway, I agree with your post but do you not get banned for insulting other posters?

The Outlaw
26th-August-2011, 17:15

plastic paddy is far worse. He runs his own fitness camp for hamsters in his head.

Charco
26th-August-2011, 19:02
Dowlinz is alright! *old forum thumbs-up emoticon*

fitzy73
26th-August-2011, 23:12
SOB has to be in the mix. Yes, we have great players in the backrow, but he is just phenomenal.

Can't wait to see him up against McCaw in the final :-)

Delmar O'Donnell
26th-August-2011, 23:24
SOB has to be in the mix. Yes, we have great players in the backrow, but he is just phenomenal.

Can't wait to see him up against McCaw in the final :-)

How many pints have you had???

Jackie Brown
28th-August-2011, 21:44
Do we even have 3?? BOD and???

Old Dog
28th-August-2011, 21:54
Do we even have 3?? BOD and???

Did you happen to spot POC yesterday?

That tall, ugly, balding git who, when he wasn't acting the pillock with the ref. was busily putting in about 5 times as much effort as the rest of the green monkey pack - including subs - put together? Absolutely essential that he's available for our two key pool games - otherwise, we're bum fluff.

The Last Stand
28th-August-2011, 22:53
Did you happen to spot POC yesterday?

That tall, ugly, balding git who, when he wasn't acting the pillock with the ref. was busily putting in about 5 times as much effort as the rest of the green monkey pack - including subs - put together? Absolutely essential that he's available for our two key pool games - otherwise, we're bum fluff.

That Munster air must be getting to you...well said. BOD can take over acting the pillock with the ref.

he man rugger pints
29th-August-2011, 00:36
BOD - We're porous in defence without him
POC - Serious fall off in quality when he's gone
Ross - He's not great but again the drop off in quality is severe

I'd also say SOB would be a massive loss, one of the few guys who can get us going in attack at the moment through his hard carrying.

redherring
30th-August-2011, 15:56
Lets just wait and see how much Wally is missed during the groups stages.

Red Hand Hero
30th-August-2011, 18:30
Lets just wait and see how much Wally is missed during the groups stages.

He'll be missed but I think the point is that he is not totally irreplaceable in the way that there is simply no-one even close to BOD, POC or Ross in terms of a replacement.

The Outlaw
30th-August-2011, 20:33
He'll be missed but I think the point is that he is not totally irreplaceable in the way that there is simply no-one even close to BOD, POC or Ross in terms of a replacement.

You are wrong. He is utterly irreplaceable. This is a guy who has faced the best backrows in the world and pissed all over them. None of our other backrowers have done that on a consistent basis.

Munsterboy
31st-August-2011, 09:07
You are wrong. He is utterly irreplaceable. This is a guy who has faced the best backrows in the world and pissed all over them. None of our other backrowers have done that on a consistent basis.

Wally's a huge loss but I think SOB can take up his mantle and, with Heaslip at 8 and Ferris at 6, we'll manage ok. Lose any one of those three (especially SOB) and we'll be in big trouble. Nobody else in the squad carries ball like they do.

mtcmolloy
31st-August-2011, 09:42
Wally's a huge loss but I think SOB can take up his mantle and, with Heaslip at 8 and Ferris at 6, we'll manage ok. Lose any one of those three (especially SOB) and we'll be in big trouble. Nobody else in the squad carries ball like they do.

I don't think anyone can replace wally, personally. SOB and Ferris are talented, but I'd take wally over either of them (at #7)

Delmar O'Donnell
31st-August-2011, 10:04
I don't think anyone can replace wally, personally. SOB and Ferris are talented, but I'd take wally over either of them (at #7)

No one is irreplaceable imo

redherring
31st-August-2011, 10:40

I'd take Wally over SOB any day, even as a pure ball carrier.

Red Hand Hero
31st-August-2011, 10:50

Pised all over them you say, jesus you love hyperbole. His loss is a huge problem for Ireland but in terms of his replacement (Ferris/O'Brien) there is no discernable gulf in quality. Unlike BOD, Ross or POC where the next player down is a considerable distance away in terms of ability.

Benji
31st-August-2011, 11:19
Pised all over them you say, jesus you love hyperbole. His loss is a huge problem for Ireland but in terms of his replacement (Ferris/O'Brien) there is no discernable gulf in quality. Unlike BOD, Ross or POC where the next player down is a considerable distance away in terms of ability.

Ya Red Hand as good as Wally was he can be replaced. And as for pissed all over the great backrow's, Thats a load of Sh1t. Pocock McCaw and the rest????
Wallace was a great player and will be missed but Sob has already proved to be a better ball carrier imho. Ferris and Sob are different players to wally. Wally wasnt a groundhog seven but his way faster to the breakdown then those two.

Red Hand Hero
31st-August-2011, 13:45
Ya Red Hand as good as Wally was he can be replaced. And as for pissed all over the great backrow's, Thats a load of Sh1t. Pocock McCaw and the rest????
Wallace was a great player and will be missed but Sob has already proved to be a better ball carrier imho. Ferris and Sob are different players to wally. Wally wasnt a groundhog seven but his way faster to the breakdown then those two.

In fairness speed to the breakdown has regressed as one of the seven most important traits. Watch McCaw, Pocock and Broussouw closely and you will see them almost stalk a tackled player until the point he hits the ground and then they are all over the ball. I noticed that O'Brien did this to very good effect 2/3 times against France which impressed me. There is plenty of talk about O'Brien being "not good enough" to play as a 7 but he's what 23? It can be bloody well coached, he has the frame and speed to be a seven...question is does he have the brain?

ruckall
31st-August-2011, 15:14
Wouldn't have serious concerns about Court at LH if Healy got injured, I most certainly would with Buckley at TH. Ross is definitely the one we don't want getting an injury.

Beyond that POC would be bad, we saw the difference between POC and Cullen in Bordeaux and it was huge to the rest of the side. I'd add BOD and D'arcy as well purely because we don't have proven replacements for either. You could make an argument for David Wallace as well.

Agree re Ross. He is critical. We could lose to Italy if Ross gets injured.

Wallace number 2 unfortunately. As a ball carrier, big game player, acting open side, we don't have a realistic alternative. The amount of go forward he generates against all/any opposition is staggering. DK will be tempted to shove SOB over to 7 to put the best players on the field but SOB will find it hard to compete at 7 with Pocock/Bergamasco. Case for Jennings is strong.

POC next. Pack leader and engine.

BOD next, because of his presence and ability to read games.

the plastic paddy
31st-August-2011, 19:41
plastic paddy is far worse. He runs his own fitness camp for hamsters in his head.And me such an admirer of your perscipacity especially in 'conditioning' matters; I am hurt, Outlaw, really hurt.

The Outlaw
31st-August-2011, 20:48

There is a massive difference in quality. We are trying to replace our best ever backrow forward. None of SOB, Ferris or Heaslip are 7's. SOB is a 6/8. Ferris is an out and out 6.

i_like_cake
31st-August-2011, 23:23
There is a massive difference in quality. We are trying to replace our best ever backrow forward. None of SOB, Ferris or Heaslip are 7's. SOB is a 6/8. Ferris is an out and out 6.

Agreed Outlaw.... Munster and Ireland will be the very much worse off without him.... we knew this day would come, and alas it is now here....

skinbee
2nd-September-2011, 12:41

I think Sportsworld put the kaibosh on these 3...

Aussiedub
2nd-September-2011, 14:19

What about Fergus Slattery?

Mcork
3rd-September-2011, 13:34
In order of importance:
PO'C: Cullen was shocking when given his chance in Bordeaux. O'Callaghan has continuously gone missing when the chips are down. Our lineout is PO'C, he is carrying us in that particular set-piece. He can't do it all himself but he'll have to try because he won't get any help. Without him there, I would even make Italy strong favourites to beat us. He's that important.

Ross: A year ago our scrum was a serious concern. If Ross is fit & on form, we should not be too vulnerable there. Italy will target us there - I think Ross can make sure the scrum doesn't become a noose around our necks allowing us to win that match. Mushy would be destroyed giving the Italians a real weapon to beat us. Probably won't be critical in any of our other pool matches but that match is our most important.

BO'D: He's definetly not the player he once was but since we've not given anyone else sufficient time to have bedded into that 13 position, we need him to stay fit & on form. That was real error by Kidney. McFadden, Bowe should have had games there in relatively meaningless A.I's. Now only Earls has played there outside struggling 12's which has done nothing for his confidence.

Ulster's Best
3rd-September-2011, 20:40
How long do we think POC can go on for? With good husbandry might he make the next RWC or is that wishful thinking? Suppose after the last one few would have bet on Hayes or Wallace being around for this one - and in the end the Bull sadly ran out of road but Wally was still flying. Maybe missing a year will have helped extend Paulie's career. What's the best of what's coming through do we think - Ryan, Nagle, Tuohy maybe?

mr chips
3rd-September-2011, 21:12
Think Tuohy has the potential to go far. Ditto Nagle. The restrictions on Ryan's progress have been well-documented.

Ulster's Best
3rd-September-2011, 21:16
Think Tuohy has the potential to go far. Ditto Nagle. The restrictions on Ryan's progress have been well-documented.

Hopefully one or two of them can come through into the senior squad while POC still there. Cullen will be first to go but DOC's long international contract could be mixed blessing for Ireland going forward. What did you think of Tuohy last night, Chips? Pretty good I thought. He carries well for an Irish second row and has far better body shape for it than say Toner.

mr chips
3rd-September-2011, 21:32
Agree, wasn't a vintage performance but he was definitely one of the better players.

Ulster's Best
3rd-September-2011, 21:39
Will be interesting few weeks in which guys will be to the fore who may not shine in the top company but are good pros who can do a job at this level and will step up in the absence of the internationals. The likes of Henry last night comes into that category - and Coughlan for Munster. Don't think either are international material but very valuable at a time like this.

The Outlaw
4th-September-2011, 09:51

ryan's problem is that he's a 5 and not a 4. Should have left munster years ago.

Avenida Los Heroes
5th-September-2011, 05:51
What about Fergus Slattery? The Outlaw only watches rugby when the red team is playing. When players from the red team wear green, he doesn't see the difference. And if you only started watching rugby c. 2006, who the **** is Fergus Slattery?

David Wallace is a truely magnificant rugby player, and is, simply, a hero. He is the best row of his generation in Ireland. Claiming his to be the best ever is..............

Wallace is a huge loss but clearly Ross is the biggest concern, if something happened. Wallace ---> SOB (the European Player of the Year, may I add) is not as severe as Mike Ross ---> Tony Buckley (of the force known as the Sale Sharks). No scrum absolutely shatters our chances of progressing, and as many here have said, we could be in line for a beating by Italy. Not having Wallace, the brilliance of the man, is not AS severe as he was never considered a true 7 anyway. His ball carrying will be missed, but Heaslip, SOB and Ferris are all good ball carriers. Buckley can't scrummage, no matter what Smal says when he is smoking. No scrum = no chance.

The Spoofer
5th-September-2011, 08:20

I would regard Fergus Slattery as our best ever backrow forward.

mr chips
5th-September-2011, 09:00
What about Fergus Slattery? The Outlaw only watches rugby when the red team is playing. When players from the red team wear green, he doesn't see the difference.

Hate to break it to you, but Outlaw's a Connacht supporter.

busbi
5th-September-2011, 13:04
How long do we think POC can go on for? With good husbandry might he make the next RWC or is that wishful thinking? Suppose after the last one few would have bet on Hayes or Wallace being around for this one - and in the end the Bull sadly ran out of road but Wally was still flying. Maybe missing a year will have helped extend Paulie's career. What's the best of what's coming through do we think - Ryan, Nagle, Tuohy maybe?

Making it and being any use at it are two different things, as we're seeing with Bull at the moment.

What is he, 32? I reckon the break last season could stand him well in the long run. Defo need more options coming through. Nagle and perhaps DOC 2.0 (if he ends up at lock over backrow) would be two from Munster anyway. Not sure Toner brings much and can develop much further. Caldwell was a great white hope at one stage, depressing how poorly that worked out.

treatycity1
5th-September-2011, 13:46
Anyone else reminded of Just William.
I'll scweam and scweam and scweam

Daithi
5th-September-2011, 15:04
Ross, Flannery and POC

Boo-boo
5th-September-2011, 15:10
Anyone else reminded of Just William.
I'll scweam and scweam and scweam
..until I'm thick?;)

The Outlaw
5th-September-2011, 21:17
What about Fergus Slattery? The Outlaw only watches rugby when the red team is playing. When players from the red team wear green, he doesn't see the difference. And if you only started watching rugby c. 2006, who the **** is Fergus Slattery?

David Wallace is a truely magnificant rugby player, and is, simply, a hero. He is the best row of his generation in Ireland. Claiming his to be the best ever is..............

Wallace is a huge loss but clearly Ross is the biggest concern, if something happened. Wallace ---> SOB (the European Player of the Year, may I add) is not as severe as Mike Ross ---> Tony Buckley (of the force known as the Sale Sharks). No scrum absolutely shatters our chances of progressing, and as many here have said, we could be in line for a beating by Italy. Not having Wallace, the brilliance of the man, is not AS severe as he was never considered a true 7 anyway. His ball carrying will be missed, but Heaslip, SOB and Ferris are all good ball carriers. Buckley can't scrummage, no matter what Smal says when he is smoking. No scrum = no chance.

I saw Fergus and Wallace was and is better. And em my signature below would say what province I'm from.

Ulster's Best
5th-September-2011, 21:42
What about Fergus Slattery?

Suppose with a name like yours you think Keith Gleeson was a better seven for Ireland than David Wallace. Another Aussiedub. He was ok but ever match Wallace wasn't picked for in that period was an opportunity lost for Irish rugby.

Aussiedub
6th-September-2011, 13:46
Suppose with a name like yours you think Keith Gleeson was a better seven for Ireland than David Wallace. Another Aussiedub. He was ok but ever match Wallace wasn't picked for in that period was an opportunity lost for Irish rugby.

Wallace should have been and in my opinion would have been far better at 8 than 7 and Ireland would have been better with Wallace and Gleeson playing.

Both were totally different types of players and Gleeson was more in the traditional mould than Wallace and great in a linking role.

Ulster's Best
6th-September-2011, 17:35
Wallace should have been and in my opinion would have been far better at 8 than 7 and Ireland would have been better with Wallace and Gleeson playing.

Both were totally different types of players and Gleeson was more in the traditional mould than Wallace and great in a linking role.

Don't agree. Think Wallace at seven has worked well on the whole and those who know a lot more about it than you or me declined to go down the route you suggest over the years. And Dawson when fully fit and at his best was at least as credible an alternative as Gleeson.

Waterfordlad
6th-September-2011, 18:18
In fairness speed to the breakdown has regressed as one of the seven most important traits. Watch McCaw, Pocock and Broussouw closely and you will see them almost stalk a tackled player until the point he hits the ground and then they are all over the ball. I noticed that O'Brien did this to very good effect 2/3 times against France which impressed me. There is plenty of talk about O'Brien being "not good enough" to play as a 7 but he's what 23? It can be bloody well coached, he has the frame and speed to be a seven...question is does he have the brain? Brains will be provided Madam :)

Cowboy
6th-September-2011, 20:08
Brains will be provided Madam :)

I think some here are looking for too much in trying to replace the irreplaceable, the man is a freak of nature and even if the WC was 24 months away we'd struggle to replace him. The question is now how do we maximise our assets an put the most effective 15 on the field. For me, SOB should be our 7, alongside Ferris and Heaslip. O'Brien has Wally's defence (better infact) he definitely has his ball carrying abiltiy and he's a pretty excellent reader of the game for his age. Wally isnt a classic 7 and never has been, he was a supersized 12 in many respects, The Tank can, in my view do the job. and when you put him on the other side of a scrum to Ferris there wont be too many backrow moves attempted against us. He batters defenders, he is vicious in the tackle and he doesnt go to ground too easily. The only thing he's behind in is maturity, and thats not his fault. i know Gleeson has been sent down, but he hasn't the physicality nor the pace of the best backrowers, SOB does.

Allez Les Rouges
6th-September-2011, 22:52
I think some here are looking for too much in trying to replace the irreplaceable, the man is a freak of nature and even if the WC was 24 months away we'd struggle to replace him. The question is now how do we maximise our assets an put the most effective 15 on the field. For me, SOB should be our 7, alongside Ferris and Heaslip. O'Brien has Wally's defence (better infact) he definitely has his ball carrying abiltiy and he's a pretty excellent reader of the game for his age. Wally isnt a classic 7 and never has been, he was a supersized 12 in many respects, The Tank can, in my view do the job. and when you put him on the other side of a scrum to Ferris there wont be too many backrow moves attempted against us. He batters defenders, he is vicious in the tackle and he doesnt go to ground too easily. The only thing he's behind in is maturity, and thats not his fault. i know Gleeson has been sent down, but he hasn't the physicality nor the pace of the best backrowers, SOB does.

I take it you are not taking Keith Gleeson out of retirement? Gone several years at this stage! Jennings is the guy who has been despatched to fill Wally's big boots!

Cowboy
6th-September-2011, 22:59
I take it you are not taking Keith Gleeson out of retirement? Gone several years at this stage! Jennings is the guy who has been despatched to fill Wally's big boots!

Freudian slip there ALR!!! apologies. In the jumbled mess that is my mind Jennings and Gleeson are at one. Much hyped by the Leinsterati for their 'ground work and doggedness' with similar styles to each other.

McCloud
6th-September-2011, 23:19
Bowe, Trimble and Fla. Fla is there to provide secure ball to the backs. The only backs who provide return on secure ball are Bowe (even with little game time) and Trimble.

Aussiedub
7th-September-2011, 08:52
Don't agree. Think Wallace at seven has worked well on the whole and those who know a lot more about it than you or me declined to go down the route you suggest over the years. And Dawson when fully fit and at his best was at least as credible an alternative as Gleeson.

It has worked fairly well alright. But I feel that was due to there were other options at 6/8 especially in Munster where you had Quinlan/Leamy/Foley who weren't 7's so Wallace fitted in at 7.

Daithi
7th-September-2011, 14:07
It has worked fairly well alright. But I feel that was due to there were other options at 6/8 especially in Munster where you had Quinlan/Leamy/Foley who weren't 7's so Wallace fitted in at 7.

Quinlan did play 7 for part of his career and was a bloody good one at that. Wallace played 7 for Munster, Ireland and The Lions because he was (& is) a world class 7 and on his day was a match for McCaw or Brusseau or Pocock or anyone for that matter. Jennings (oops!!) as a stand by is ok but based on his August run out is way way off the level required and should only feature v Russia &/or off the bench in the event of injuries.

Benji
7th-September-2011, 15:06
Come on lads Gleeson is gone and so is Foley

The Spoofer
8th-September-2011, 14:25
Quinlan did play 7 for part of his career and was a bloody good one at that. Wallace played 7 for Munster, Ireland and The Lions because he was (& is) a world class 7 and on his day was a match for McCaw or Brusseau or Pocock or anyone for that matter. Jennings (oops!!) as a stand by is ok but based on his August run out is way way off the level required and should only feature v Russia &/or off the bench in the event of injuries.

If players were making the plane based on the August games, business class would have been fairly empty. Jennings hasn't impressed but then Doncha, Grylls, D'Arcy and "Her eyes" would all be at home if based on the recent outings.

RichardP
8th-September-2011, 17:00
If players were making the plane based on the August games, business class would have been fairly empty. Jennings hasn't impressed but then Doncha, Grylls, D'Arcy and "Her eyes" would all be at home if based on the recent outings.
Not being in tune with your pet names for players can you tell us which Doncha are you talking about and who are Grylls and "Her eyes"?

Old Dog
8th-September-2011, 19:16
Not being in tune with your pet names for players can you tell us which Doncha are you talking about and who are Grylls and "Her eyes"?

Tommy Bowe is "her eyes" - Grylls is presumably Keith Earls.

Ulster's Best
8th-September-2011, 19:23
Tommy Bowe is "her eyes" - Grylls is presumably Keith Earls.

Had figured those two but nicknames can be bit confusing - especially when we'd several Bestys at Ulster, or when Paul and David Wallace were very briefly both around. And Munster and Ulster each had 'the Bear', though admittedly yours was better.