PDA

View Full Version : Bar in Manhattan to watch Ireland/England game

Beerbaron
22nd-August-2011, 15:54
Anyone know a pub where id find the match Saturday in Manhattan.Half 2 ko here so thats 9:30am across the pond.Could be to early????

Flanimal
22nd-August-2011, 16:10
Youve a couple of options in manhattan Beerbaron, but i've some better advice for you I left here four years ago having been there for a long time...

Get to Timesquare station, or 49th street, and get the number 7 train/subway to woodside in queens. You walk out of the station, and you'll get the game in about four or five irishpubs at least, youll get a bit of atmosphere with the local Irish watching the game probably, a nice pint, and a proper breakfast to boot, and it's a 15 minute subway ride. Youc an also get the Long Island rail road from penn station on 34th street if thats closer to you, but it'll cost you a fiver- again get off in woodside.

If you want to stay in the city, let me know and i'll find out somewhere for you thats definitely showing it- i just sent a message to a friend of mine over there now.

i_like_cake
22nd-August-2011, 16:15
Youve a couple of options in manhattan Beerbaron, but i've some better advice for you I left here four years ago having been there for a long time...

Get to Timesquare station, or 49th street, and get the number 7 train/subway to woodside in queens. You walk out of the station, and you'll get the game in about four or five irishpubs at least, youll get a bit of atmosphere with the local Irish watching the game probably, a nice pint, and a proper breakfast to boot, and it's a 15 minute subway ride. Youc an also get the Long Island rail road from penn station on 34th street if thats closer to you, but it'll cost you a fiver- again get off in woodside.

If you want to stay in the city, let me know and i'll find out somewhere for you thats definitely showing it- i just sent a message to a friend of mine over there now.

i'd agree with this big time.....

markc
22nd-August-2011, 16:31
Anyone know a pub where id find the match Saturday in Manhattan.Half 2 ko here so thats 9:30am across the pond.Could be to early????

Have watched loads of games here http://mccormacks.net/rugby.php5. Wouldn't bother leaving Manhattan to watch the game unless u have another reason to. 3rd Ave between 26/27 st and they will show it live. Great brekkie also :)

The Last Stand
22nd-August-2011, 16:36
The bars in Manhattan will charge in but you will get a mixed crowd if you want that. I watched the lions there a few years ago and it was good craic.

Where are you staying in Manhattan?

Do the woodside bars charge in?

Ron Swanson
22nd-August-2011, 16:40
The Red Lion on Bleecker St. is showing it - http://www.redlionnyc.com/

Flanimal
22nd-August-2011, 17:03
The bars in Manhattan will charge in but you will get a mixed crowd if you want that. I watched the lions there a few years ago and it was good craic.

Where are you staying in Manhattan?

Do the woodside bars charge in?

i doubt they'll be charging in for a warmup game, theyll be just glad of the business. Manhattan maybe

Red lion isnt bad, but its in the village, so you wont get too many fans there to watch it. If yorue staying in manhattan, aim for somewhere around midtown, so you'll get more likeminded tourists and a few English fans to take the piss out of. A mate of mine owns Tonic Times Square (http://www.manhattannightout.com/bars/199208/tonic-times-square)

727 Seventh Ave. New York, 49th street.

Give them a ring before to make sure they'll be opening. Theres a pretty good strip joint next door, and a hawaiian tropic bar 2 doors up where all the bar staff/ waitresses wear next to nothing bikinis. You can stand outside for a smoke at half time.

If you decide to go here, let me know and ill pm you my name, might get you a few free pints!

The facts are;
The only issue you might get in manhattan is the opening hours for a warmup game that they might see as having little interest.

Theyll defo be open in Woodside.

Beerbaron
22nd-August-2011, 17:12
Thanks for all that lads,really appreciate it.Staying mid town but havent a clue what the plan is yet.Might head to queens but to be honest id say il stay local if i can..

The Last Stand
22nd-August-2011, 17:35
i doubt they'll be charging in for a warmup game, theyll be just glad of the business. Manhattan maybe

Red lion isnt bad, but its in the village, so you wont get too many fans there to watch it. If yorue staying in manhattan, aim for somewhere around midtown, so you'll get more likeminded tourists and a few English fans to take the piss out of. A mate of mine owns Tonic Times Square (http://www.manhattannightout.com/bars/199208/tonic-times-square)

727 Seventh Ave. New York, 49th street.

Give them a ring before to make sure they'll be opening. Theres a pretty good strip joint next door, and a hawaiian tropic bar 2 doors up where all the bar staff/ waitresses wear next to nothing bikinis. You can stand outside for a smoke at half time.

If you decide to go here, let me know and ill pm you my name, might get you a few free pints!

The facts are;
The only issue you might get in manhattan is the opening hours for a warmup game that they might see as having little interest.

Theyll defo be open in Woodside.

What time does that hawaiian tropic place open at?

Benji
22nd-August-2011, 17:38
Good bar . Get in early and good food

Flanimal
22nd-August-2011, 19:25
Beerbaron, I've been told irish Rogue between 8th and 9th on 44th street (thats midtown) is definitely showing it.

Bosco
22nd-August-2011, 19:35
The charging is not by the bar it's by Setanta so there is a good chance they'll charge.

Beerbaron
22nd-August-2011, 19:54
McCormacks it is.Thanks a mill lads,tis just beside me tho so can fallout of the leaba.Handy for that hour in the morning

Flanimal
22nd-August-2011, 20:03
The charging is not by the bar it's by Setanta so there is a good chance they'll charge.

setanta went semi bust over there a while back. I never had to pay to watch and friendly soccer matches or autumn internationals. Theres other ways to get it, and i wouldnt be surprised if ESPN were carrying it. i can guarantee tit wont be the usual 20 quid anyway.

markc
22nd-August-2011, 22:26
McCormacks it is.Thanks a mill lads,tis just beside me tho so can fallout of the leaba.Handy for that hour in the morning

Good call. Worst case scenario will be a $20 Setanta charge but don't think this will be the case. Also - even tho they advertise it as live not a bad idea to call the bar the day before to be 100% sure. One time I was there for a game they delayed coverage by an hour to allow the bar to open. No big deal.. They normally get a half decent crowd for the rugby...

redster
23rd-August-2011, 18:27
Only seeing this now, there is an Irish bar called Tir Na Og, right accross the road from Madison Square Gardens, owned by a crowd from Abbeyfeale, you should be able to get it there.

markc
23rd-August-2011, 20:54
Yeah Tir Na Nog is a nice pub also. Never been there for a game tho...

fitzy73
23rd-August-2011, 21:12
I asked my cousin (she lives in Woodside) and she said ...

"tell him go to Jack Dempseys 33rd street between 5th ave and broadway. My friends work there good craic and the place will be packed so the atmosphere will be good"

slipper1
23rd-August-2011, 22:44
was charged a tenner to watch the Munster Hurling Final 6 years ago, it was upstairs in the place Flanimal is on about. It was shyte by all accounts, the match and bar/ restaurant.

Flanimal
23rd-August-2011, 23:07
was charged a tenner to watch the Munster Hurling Final 6 years ago, it was upstairs in the place Flanimal is on about. It was shyte by all accounts, the match and bar/ restaurant.

you better tell him which place, cos i mentioned 5 or 6 i think.

slipper1
23rd-August-2011, 23:46
The Irish Rogue. Was it called something else back then ?

Flanimal
24th-August-2011, 00:06
ah ok. i didnt actually suggest that place, i just mentioned i was told it was showing it. doesnt matter anywah

slipper1
24th-August-2011, 13:17
prob should have been clearer, bar it's fine if you just want to catch the match. I got the impression the match was an inconvience to staff, otherwise upstairs wouldn't have been opened. It might be different these days

markc
30th-August-2011, 16:18
So did u see the game? Was wondering if the hurricane put paid to ur plans?