PDA

View Full Version : What Qualifies a player for Ireland?

bazzyg
29th-May-2011, 15:32
Now that the club season has passed, RWC time is here, Strauss is elegible next year for us, but do wereally want him?

Warwick played 7's for Australia because he was Australian,Andy Ward clearly gave everything forhis jersey but should he have had the chance?(by the wayI have no idea what Andy Wards irish connections are so he may be a bad example)

Personally, I can't stand the idea of it, Irish parents definitelyqualifies and at a stretch the Grandparents but no more than that.

29th-May-2011, 16:52
The only true way to qualifying is if we: Munsterfans, say it often enough it will happen!smileys/biggrin.gif

Call999
29th-May-2011, 17:12
So a Georgian coming to Ireland at the age of 5 would not be entitled to play for Ireland, having played all his rugby in Ireland? Seems restrictive to me to preclude all those who do not have direct Irish ancestry despite living in Ireland most of their lives. So I would definitely open it up to all those who have lived most of their lives in Ireland....

lahinch_lass
29th-May-2011, 17:22
Irish citizenship ... that covers it as far as I'm concerned.
either born in Ireland, have irish parents, or have lived here for ~7 years.

The IRB 3 yr rule is a joke, or at the very least shouldn't be used for tier 1 nations. I can understand it for countries where the sport is only getting established, but there should be a citizenship/passport requirement.

Grandpasimpson
29th-May-2011, 17:25
When does Paul Warwick qualify for Ireland?

Bosco
29th-May-2011, 18:07
When does Paul Warwick qualify
for Ireland? He is going to the World Cup with France
now

Eamo
29th-May-2011, 19:16
Anyone who pays his taxes here.

Rebel Yell
29th-May-2011, 19:51
The only true way to qualifying is if we: Munsterfans, say it often enough it will happen!smileys/biggrin.gif

I still can't understand why Warwick and Mafi aren't included in Ireland squad and Dougie is a Corkman, that should be enough!smileys/wink.gif

sonofagun
29th-May-2011, 23:02
Anyone who pays his taxes here.
Damn, I thought Bono could have done a job at scrum half

Grandpasimpson
30th-May-2011, 10:49
now

Is that why he is going to Stade?

mtcmolloy
3rd-June-2011, 13:28
now

Is that why he is going to Stade?

yes.

The french have different rules. The same thing applies with Chabal's move to Italy next season.

Back on topic, I think the parenting thing is beyond dispute, or more
so than the example above of a georgian kid coming to live in ireland
as a pre teen. I think the IRB needs to define a legitimate age for such
a migration. Shontayne Hape has been in the UK since being a teen, so
fair enough. But such a move MUST happen at an age before sporting
prowess is obvious.

Peter Borlase is obvsiously pro rugby material, but
I can't accept him walking in here looking for a cap. His parents (for me)
must have moved here before his talent became apparent, - I would say
for example , at the age of 12. I know this is nitpicking, but a line must
be drawn somewhere.

Jandek
3rd-June-2011, 14:01
@ mtcmolloy:

"Peter Borlase is obvsiously pro rugby material." smileys/lol.gif

Clonlad
3rd-June-2011, 14:10
Mafi and Warwick both played 7s for NZ and Australia
So are illegible to play for Ireland.

Ruck
3rd-June-2011, 15:23
Irish citizenship ... that covers it as far as I'm concerned.either born in Ireland, have irish parents, or have lived here for ~7 years.The IRB 3 yr rule is a joke, or at the very least shouldn't be used for tier 1 nations.* I can understand it for countries where the sport is only getting established, but there should be a citizenship/passport requirement.

That's pretty much my view on it too. No problem with someone who grew up here playing for Ireland. It's these "project" players that grind my gears.

i_like_cake
3rd-June-2011, 17:43
Their big willie, nonchalant way with the ladies (both terms apply) and if they are a prop, an arse like Mary Harney....

(so that clearly rules most of us out....)</font>

Armin Tamzarian
3rd-June-2011, 18:33
Mafi and Warwick both played 7s for NZ and Australia
So are illegible to play for Ireland.

The spell can bebroken by reciting the hail mary backwards three times while walking barfoot up Croagh Patrick so there's hope yet

blackwarrior
3rd-June-2011, 19:21
Irish citizenship ... that covers it as far as I'm concerned.either born in Ireland, have irish parents, or have lived here for ~7 years.The IRB 3 yr rule is a joke, or at the very least shouldn't be used for tier 1 nations. I can understand it for countries where the sport is only getting established, but there should be a citizenship/passport requirement.

That's pretty much my view on it too. No problem with someone who grew up here playing for Ireland. It's these "project" players that grind my gears.

I think FIFA's rule is (or used to be) that if you qualified for a passport of the country, then you could play for them.Hence the oft-used granny rule, which, for a country like Ireland with our history ofscatteringemigrantsand their descendants around the world, is totally appropriate.

I'd like to see that applied to rugby. "Qualifying" for a cap through residency is a joke in my opinion. There's got to be some Irishness there.

the plastic paddy
3rd-June-2011, 20:34
One Irish borngrand parent entitles a person to an Irish passport so think that has to be the rule as regards national qualification. The residency thing is a load of boll*cks but what about marrying an Irish girl? That would qualify you for a passport. License for lawyers to print money which is why I think the IRB have such lax rules.