PDA

View Full Version : Wales 19 Ireland 13 - what the ref missed

richards13
12th-March-2011, 22:52
Not todays game, but 1990.

As a home fan I recall Ireland stealing it in the dying seconds with a try (Dean?) after the ref (Quittenton?) missed one of the biggest (almost comedy) knock on's the rugby world has ever seen.

I think the score was also 19-13.

Dare I say it, what comes around......

It is only a game!

kildareleinsterfan
12th-March-2011, 23:00

As a home fan I recall Ireland stealing it in the dying seconds with a try (Dean?) after the ref (Quittenton?) missed one of the biggest (almost comedy) knock on's the rugby world has ever seen.

It is only a game!

We were rubbish and didn't deserve to win either way..

Combatlogo
12th-March-2011, 23:18
Paul Dean's career was ended on the 1989 Lions tour.

Carruthers McDaid
12th-March-2011, 23:31

As a home fan I recall Ireland stealing it in the dying
seconds with a try (Dean?) after the ref (Quittenton?)
missed one of the biggest (almost comedy) knock on's the
rugby world has ever seen.

It is only a game!

Cannot but agree.

Consumer
12th-March-2011, 23:40
Who cares about winning or losing, the grand slam is gone and the triple crown is meaningless, it was about improving our playing level ahead of the World Cup. I'm not feeling any worse today than I was after Scotland or Italy.

Dowlinz
12th-March-2011, 23:57
Who cares about winning or losing, the grand slam is gone and the triple crown is meaningless, it was about improving our playing level ahead of the World Cup. I'm not feeling any worse today than I was after Scotland or Italy.

Well I'm feeling...

- between the last two games that DK has no grasp on how and when to make intelligent use of his bench. He went from not using it to overusing it. I think the former was better.

- The perception of Sexton being "world class" must truly be dispelled as a myth. I'd question if he's even international class at this stage.

- We've learned that if Kearney and Murphy are unavailable we're rightly banjaxed for fullback.

Maybe things suspected before today but definitely cemented now.

mtcmolloy
13th-March-2011, 01:04
when sexton stood over that ball, i and all of ireland knew he was going to miss it.
I don't think it's his bad, but i think it's our bad for making a big deal about kiely/bradley, pearse/keyes, campbell/ward/ Rog /sexton.

poor sexton must be rightly shredded mentally after that display.

mtcmolloy
13th-March-2011, 01:06
i'm a bit plastered, but i want to doff my hat to young reddan, poor fecker put his head on the line, and gave ireland a really great start to the game. mssrs reddan be proud.

Piquet
14th-March-2011, 06:33

No. Ireland play in Cardiff in odd years. ( like this year)

Mace
14th-March-2011, 08:06

It is only a game!

Agree... but did Wales did more to deserve the win...?

Random_punter
14th-March-2011, 09:49
Can somebody tell me under what circumstances the referee can use the video footage to check a decision?

nuke
14th-March-2011, 09:55
Can somebody tell me under what circumstances the referee can use the video footage to check a decision?

<ul> if there is a doubt about the grounding of the ball if there is a suspicion of the player in touch during the act of grounding the ball if there was a suspicion of foul play during an attempt to ground the ball if there is a doubt about a penalty or drop goal going over the bar and between the posts[/list]
Also a referee can only change his decision based on information given
by this touchjudges(or assistant referee's if you prefer that term - I
don't).

Kaplan wasn't in a position to watch the replay on the
big screen and use it as a guide although if any ref would do it, it
would be him. He has gotten in trouble before for using technology
against the regulations to make the right decision - once burned, twice
shy I guess

red exile
14th-March-2011, 10:26
i'm a bit plastered, but i want to doff my hat to young reddan, poor fecker put his head on the line, and gave ireland a really great start to the game. <S&#079;NG>mssrs</S&#079;NG> reddan be proud.

You must have been plastered.... how many Reddan's could you see at the time?

14th-March-2011, 10:44
i'm a bit plastered, but i want to doff my hat to young reddan, poor fecker put his head on the line, and gave ireland a really great start to the game. <s&#079;ng>mssrs</s&#079;ng></font> reddan be proud.

You must have been plastered.... how many Reddan's could you see at the time?

Probably no more than he could see at the time.

An effort made all the more impressive considering how little effort some of our team ended up making across the game.

antipopper
14th-March-2011, 11:46
Ah ya but unlike like some bloody knock on in 1990, the welsh lads had their little part to play in it. While i wont vilify them for chancing their arm,Rees and Phillips knew well you cant take a lineout like that.

14th-March-2011, 12:09
I don't think they thought it through that much. Phillips may not have known or thought he was taking the proper lineout cleverly, Rees may have been relying on Phillips judgement. I'd still lay the blame on the official whose primary function is to get this area of the game correct. He failed to do the basics of his job properly, we kick players for that so why not kick him for it.

richards13
14th-March-2011, 14:53

As a home fan I recall Ireland stealing it in the dying
seconds with a try (Dean?) after the ref (Quittenton?)
missed one of the biggest (almost comedy) knock on's the
rugby world has ever seen.

It is only a game!

Cannot but agree.

I stand corrected - it was 4th February 1989.

richards13
14th-March-2011, 14:55
I don't think they thought it through that much. Phillips may not have known or thought he was taking the proper lineout cleverly, Rees may have been relying on Phillips judgement. I'd still lay the blame on the official whose primary function is to get this area of the game correct. He failed to do the basics of his job properly, we kick players for that so why not kick him for it.

Bit harsh. You could also argue that when you are responsible for a pantomine-bad knock on, you can't (in theory) score a try....

I don't think Phillips or Rees were acting in cold blood to be honest.