PDA

View Full Version : We could easily have lost the grand slam

DABOSS
27th-February-2011, 17:05
I'm not convinced we are playing much different from the day we won the Grand Slam. In fairness no one could say we were convincing winners but we won. Our loss to France was idiotic, as was our close matches to Italy and Scotland. These teams should not touch us yet the idea of being ""Kiwiesk" better a peno then a try"" has us unstuck.

P.S. Message to DK.Our defense has been very good thrust it don't tell the players a peno in our 22 is ok as long as they dont score a try?

27th-February-2011, 18:01
Sorry but what are you talking about? You can't look at
performances 2 years later and say they mean we didn't
deserve 2 years ago. We scraped our way through but we
were actually better than we made ourselves look in 2009
when we scraped home, nerves weakened the performances.
Now we're a side 18 months past our peak and not evolving
quickly enough.

Tobyglen
27th-February-2011, 18:09
I thought Italy deserved it myself.

Dowlinz
27th-February-2011, 19:35
In 2008 had we stopped clerc from running over at the very end we'd have won a grand slam.

Even this year had Darcy not crumbled we'd be lined up for a Grand Slam. The difference between winning and losing with competition so evenly matched like it is in the 6N is very very slim.
We aren't playing vastly different than we were 2 years ago, we were getting the margins then an we aren't now, its buying into media interpretation and reaction if you think theres some massive gulf in class between the team then and now.

Cowboy
27th-February-2011, 21:41
Paaaaaarrrrrrppp

Jenta
27th-February-2011, 21:53
I think we fluked the 1948 Grand Slam. Jackie Kyle couldn't kick snow off a rope.

treatycity1
28th-February-2011, 06:16
I think we fluked the 1948 Grand Slam. Jackie Kyle couldn't kick snow off a rope.

smileys/lol.gif

Combatlogo
28th-February-2011, 08:33
In 2008 had we stopped clerc from running over at the very end we'd have won a grand slam.

Even this year had Darcy not crumbled we'd be lined up for a Grand Slam. The difference between winning and losing with competition so evenly matched like it is in the 6N is very very slim.
We aren't playing vastly different than we were 2 years ago, we were getting the margins then an we aren't now, its buying into media interpretation and reaction if you think theres some massive gulf in class between the team then and now.

Tripe. We are a million miles away from performances like France in 2009.

Waterfordlad
28th-February-2011, 11:07
What about Jack Kyle though?

Mebawsa Ritchie
28th-February-2011, 11:13
What about Jack Kyle though?

Was never the same player after that bear attack.

mtcmolloy
28th-February-2011, 12:02
i watched the 2009 grand slam dvd recently. You should too. This team is a million miles away from the confidence and application on display in 2009. In this regard, R kearney has been a major loss, and I hope his lay off is doing him good mentally.

I am quite pleased with ireland at the moment. We are scoring lots of tries, leaking none, and all we need to do is take a look at the irb rules, and school guys like POC/leamy on it.

England will not win any grandslam in dublin.

Jackie Brown
28th-February-2011, 12:47

Really?

blackadder
28th-February-2011, 13:11
Then laws have changed since 2009 and as has been well documented our entire approach the breakdown has come unstuck hence the penalty count. Remember against France in 2009 we didn't concede a penalty until the 70th minute? This has really hurt us, yesterday we were pinged two or three times at the breakdown 5 metres from the Scottish line.

The other thing is we're playing a more high risk game and therefore there are more errors, I genuinely think we're not too far away from being a good team, we miss Flannery, Ferris and Kearney. Then you guys like BOD, D'Arcy and one or two others who aren't maybe as influential as they were and you can see that it was always going to be harder this year. However I don't think we're suddenly a bad side.

Jackie, I think we might beat England, the reason being that there seems to be a lot in England who think the GS has already been won, if that attitude prevails amongst the players they'll be in trouble come 19th March.

Clubman
28th-February-2011, 13:24
Then laws have changed since 2009 and as has been well documented our entire approach the breakdown has come unstuck hence the penalty count. Remember against France in 2009 we didn't concede a penalty until the 70th minute? This has really hurt us, yesterday we were pinged two or three times at the breakdown 5 metres from the Scottish line.

The other thing is we're playing a more high risk game and therefore there are more errors, I genuinely think we're not too far away from being a good team, we miss Flannery, Ferris and Kearney. Then you guys like BOD, D'Arcy and one or two others who aren't maybe as influential as they were and you can see that it was always going to be harder this year. However I don't think we're suddenly a bad side.

Jackie, I think we might beat England, the reason being that there seems to be a lot in England who think the GS has already been won, if that attitude prevails amongst the players they'll be in trouble come 19th March.

That would be their stumbling block alright Blackadder. On todays IT though there is an article saying that Johnno has banned any such talk. I could see that alright. Mind you, France were appalling on Saturday in terms of the self destruct stuff. Made England look good. There'd be a lot of them not great players but Johnno does seem to have imbued them with something special and of course they are huge +5.4 Kg per man heavier than France in starting pack.

Daithi
28th-February-2011, 14:45
Sorry, I expect England to hammer Ireland in March.

They have huge forward power, excellent set piece play, excellent half backs & kick their penalties. On top of that they can retain possession for long periods.

They have their weaknesses such as at midfield, 1 winger and a few other minor ones but I don't expect Ireland to be able to exploit those- sorry!!

p.s. We did not fluke the Grand Slam, we earned it. All the Irish wins were well deserved but the games against France & Wales in particular were top class tests, with huge intensity, great skills, decision making & execution under pressure by both sides with Ireland deservedly coming home winners. Well done Ireland!!

Consumer
28th-February-2011, 18:50
How can you say we fluked it when we built up to it over the years the way we did? We were contenders for years before we finally won it. It isn't like if some s**te team like Scotland won it or something.

DABOSS
1st-March-2011, 13:03
Sorry the blood was up when I post that. We didn't fluke the Grand Slam but we were only a score way from losing it as we had prevfiously done. Now we are on the wrong side of that score but completley of our own doing. We have dominatedthe games wehave played in including France (which you couldn't say in the Grand Slam year) yet we have left a great big door open for teams to come back through.

I know all of this has been said but it is bloody frustrating.

mtcmolloy
1st-March-2011, 13:44

Really?

yes

well... maybe at least. All I'll say is, it's happened more than once in the last 15 years that a headstrong english side has come to dublin, and left a humbled side. They are strong and confident, but I genuinely think we have more talent in our side, particularly in some key positions.

Add in the 6n best defense, and I think ireland become a team worth a punt. I fully expect to see the bookies giving england 2 or 3 to 1 on.. A very confident team they will be indeed, particularly if they beat scotland. It's in their blood, God knows.

Jackie Brown
1st-March-2011, 14:17
It's just I do recall them winning at least one in Dublin before.

mtcmolloy
2nd-March-2011, 10:31
england have confidence in spades right now. Sometimes they come to dublin and put us back in our jumped-up upstart boxes, yes,and sometimes they get a lesson so mouthwatering it makes life worth living/stephen jones worth reading.

On paper, looking at the ireland side and the england side sans sheridan, and I don't see any unit on the field where ireland are not arguably stronger, save out wide.

Hugged Rugger
2nd-March-2011, 10:39
It's just I do recall them winning at least one in Dublin before.

2003 they hockeyd us forty something 6. in 2001 we beat them in the foot and mouth delayed game i think. there hasnt been that many last day games when they came here to win. around 2003 they had also lost to wales and scotland to miss out on grand slams in other years

duffer09
2nd-March-2011, 12:46
and we could have easily won the grand slam in 2007 except we let a french try in at the last minute...

its called sport

parnell333
2nd-March-2011, 12:48
england have confidence in spades right now. Sometimes they come to dublin and put us back in our jumped-up upstart boxes, yes,and sometimes they get a lesson so mouthwatering it makes life worth living/stephen jones worth reading.

On paper, looking at the ireland side and the england side sans sheridan, and I don't see any unit on the field where ireland are not arguably stronger, save out wide.

Hooker ?