PDA

View Full Version : Is Munster Discipline now costing Ireland

Richlp5
14th-February-2011, 08:47
Looking at the penaltiesIreland gave away yesterday. I didn't watch the match again but from memory Wallace, O'Connell, OCallaghan all gave away penalties. Best gave away one and not sure if O'Leary did. McFadden gave away one.

Watched the Treviso match beforehand and getting 2 players to the bin at the same time obviously contributed to us losingthatgame andI know the ref isterrible but this is a pattern with Munster all this season. In the past players like Foley were able to communicatewith refs, if decisions were going against us unfairly.

I know thatthe missedtackle by Darcywas key to Ireland losing also but discipline needs to be sorted out and looking at the muster representation on the team v's the penalties the Munster players gave away is very frustrating and I think the question needs to be asked is the Munster discipline problem spilling over to Ireland.I don't think any of the Munster penalties prevented a French try.

Cervidave
14th-February-2011, 08:50
Computer says no:

http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/match/114122.h tml (http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/match/114122.html)

3/10 from Munster players.

The three you named gave away one penalty each. It seems your memory isn't as good as you think.

bazzyg
14th-February-2011, 08:53
I thought the ref blew BOD for the one the TV attributed to DOC.

Thomond78
14th-February-2011, 08:58
So, which disciple was it? I bet it was Thaddeus, or Jude.

God be with the days when the WUMs could at least spell... smileys/lol.gif

Richlp5
14th-February-2011, 09:00
Computer says no:

http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/match/114122.h tml (http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/match/114122.html)

The three you named gave away one penalty each. It seems your memory isn't as good as you think.

Thanks for that link.

I was mainly talking about kickable ones that we gave away in our half. Ithink the ones Wallace and O'Connell gave away were converted and I think the O'Callahan one was converted as well.

McCloud
14th-February-2011, 09:03
Slightly off topic what set BO'D off early on in the game he seemed really angery?

Bosco
14th-February-2011, 09:11
A french player stamped on McFadden

Richlp5
14th-February-2011, 09:12

sorry corrected now thanks for point out.

not trying to"wum" anyone, just seemed to me that we gave them some easy 3 pointers and the offenders were mainly Munster players. As I said that is the way it seemed when watching the match - I didn't getto watch it again so I was genuinely interested in what others thought.

Balla Boy
14th-February-2011, 09:41

sorry corrected now thanks for point out.

not trying to"wum" anyone, just seemed to me that we gave them some easy 3 pointers and the offenders were mainly Munster players. As I said that is the way it seemed when watching the match - I didn't getto watch it again so I was genuinely interested in what others thought.

If that's what you want to see you'll see it. You can move those stats around as you wish - the majority were conceded by Leinster players, for instance.

But the relevant point, I think, is that locks, centres and back rows tend to attract penalties because of the amount of ruck work they do.

Fredd
14th-February-2011, 09:54
So, which disciple was it? I bet it was
Thaddeus, or Jude.

God be with the days when the WUMs could at least spell...
smileys/lol.gif

given that the WUMS moniker has passed from the East to the
South over the past 2 years it's no wonder that the spelling is
worse...only one team in this country playing like ladyboys
these days

TippRed
14th-February-2011, 09:54
Plus the laws now favour the team in possession at the breakdown. This is why ball retention is so important. There is a question as to how well the players understand the interpretations of the laws as they now stand. How many times do munster and Ireland get penalised for hands in the ruck or in from the side. This is basis stuff. Players and or coaches do not seem to understand this. If they do then the need a good kick up the rear end to drive it home!

duffer09
14th-February-2011, 10:07
Munsters discipline is costingMunster - another 2 yellow cards yesterday

RED 49
15th-February-2011, 17:15
To be pedantic you are talking about indiscipline . Players on the Irish
team represent Ireland not their Provence so Irish indiscipline is
indeed costing Ireland we need to come to terms with the rules
around the breakdown and in the tackle,Sunday was infuriating to
watch .

BourkeofDublin
15th-February-2011, 20:17
So, which
disciple was it? I bet it was
Thaddeus, or Jude.

God be with the days when the WUMs could at least spell...
smileys/lol.gif

given that the WUMS moniker has passed from the East to
the
South over the past 2 years it's no wonder that the spelling
is
worse...only one team in this country playing like ladyboys
these days
At this point its just an affectionate nickname given to
those who play for Leinster rugby, just like how those from
Munster are called boggers or w/e. Only real difference is
that the Munster one tends not to touch the same sore spot
that the Leinster one does.

Paddy Whac
15th-February-2011, 20:54
Computer says no:

Thanks for that link.

I was mainly talking about kickable ones that we gave away in our half. Ithink the ones Wallace and O'Connell gave away were converted and I think the O'Callahan one was converted as well.

So you only wantcount penalties that are converted and are awarded against a Munster player smileys/confused.gif

Old Dog
15th-February-2011, 21:32
A french player stamped on McFadden ....

.... who was lying on the ball to prevent the French from taking a quick penalty.

By running up to Blind Dave and roaring at him, King Pillock may well have saved McFadden from a yellow card. But he appeared to have antagonised Dave into the bargain, which was unwise.

Speycaster
15th-February-2011, 21:45
The penalties were nearly always as a result of poor decisions made in the previous phases. 2 consecutive drop outs to the blind side, a stupid and aimless pass behind the back. We put ourselves under pressure at times, the penalties were as a result of that pressure.

I'd prefer our management concentrate their energy on the root cause of the problem rather than the symptoms.

Mcork
16th-February-2011, 05:43
A french player stamped on McFadden ....

.... who was lying on the ball to prevent the French from taking a quick penalty.

By running up to Blind Dave and roaring at him, King Pillock may well have saved McFadden from a yellow card. But he appeared to have antagonised Dave into the bargain, which was unwise.

I'm not discussing the rights or wrongs of who did what but it must be said if it had been an Irish player who had 'stamped' then (based onrecent history with the ref involved) a reversed penalty & yellow card would almost certainly have followed.

Certain referee's are perhaps less afraid to sanction Ireland these days then other teams. I have a theory and it might be total BS but here it goes. We are paying because we are a little too diplomatic. You'll never hear D. Kidney (and consequently his players) question the referee after or before a game. Yet it's absolutely an national sport in France/NZ/SA/England and to an extent Wales. Kranck up the pressure on the IRB/ERC/ref in question with some warnings before the game and heavy criticism after the game. It doesn't appear to work on the very best refs but a Poite/Pearson or a Jones, (guys who have no clue what's going on and are just happy to have a job) it really does seem to have an impact.

Dave Cahill
16th-February-2011, 07:11
No, its got nothing to do with 'Munster Discipline' or whatever,
rather Munster and Ireland are lacking discipline for the same
reason, poor coaching and a lack of faith from the players in
the defensive system.