PDA

View Full Version : Richie McCaw to Munster after World Cup?

Uncle Junior
28th-October-2010, 09:07
I debated about posting this because it could be a load of sh*te - but the message did come from a normally very reliable source in NZ.

Apparently Richie McCaw has been approached by a Munster representative about joining after next year's World Cup. The thinking behind it is that Quinny and Wally are not expected to last much longer than that and while Munster see big potential in some of the younger guys - especially Peter O'Mahony - they want an experienced, world class back row player to help guide these younger players. McCaw has been very receptive to the idea and was hugely impressed when the All Blacks played in Thomond Park in 2008 - but it is strictly seen as an initial contact and nothing concrete has been discussed yet.

To be honest, you can see the thinking - with Quinny and Wally nearing the end we will need a top class back row forward around this time next year. If we can get 2 or 3 good years from someone like McCaw (who can play all 3 backrow positions at a push) then it can only benefit the likes of O'Mahony. And Munster were in the market for a backrow over the past summer before deciding late on to go without. And signing McCaw would be a dream for the Munster marketing department....

Anyways - if it turns out to be rubbish please note that I did have reservations about it happening....!!!

Big-al
28th-October-2010, 09:26
stop making things up.

McCaw will be gone to France

Uncle Junior
28th-October-2010, 09:33
And that was what I said - I would expect him to go to France. But this is what I was told - and as I said if it it turns out to be rubbish I won't be surprised but there is a certian logic to it (be it McCaw or soemone else in the end).

mahoney
28th-October-2010, 09:34
Jaysus if i thought he was even thinking of headin overseas
after the wc id be heading the que to try and sign him
up,Would be the ideal candidate to help some of the new boys
along and perfect to replace the likes of quinny or wally.Just a
thought imagine a back row of 6 quinny 7 mcaw and 8 leamy
versus dr phil and touloun!!!!!!!!!.We need to having a word
with dougie,Sammy and Borlase when he comes over and get
them to fill in Richie on all that is good as regerds playing for
Munster

Red
28th-October-2010, 09:37
I debated about posting this because it could be a load of sh*te - but the message did come from a normally very reliable source in NZ.

Apparently Richie McCaw has been approached by a Munster representative about joining after next year's World Cup. The thinking behind it is that Quinny and Wally are not expected to last much longer than that and while Munster see big potential in some of the younger guys - especially Peter O'Mahony - they want an experienced, world class back row player to help guide these younger players. McCaw has been very receptive to the idea and was hugely impressed when the All Blacks played in Thomond Park in 2008 - but it is strictly seen as an initial contact and nothing concrete has been discussed yet.

To be honest, you can see the thinking - with Quinny and Wally nearing the end we will need a top class back row forward around this time next year. If we can get 2 or 3 good years from someone like McCaw (who can play all 3 backrow positions at a push) then it can only benefit the likes of O'Mahony. And Munster were in the market for a backrow over the past summer before deciding late on to go without. And signing McCaw would be a dream for the Munster marketing department....

Anyways - if it turns out to be rubbish please note that I did have reservations about it happening....!!!

Talk about a dream signing, we couldnt afford him though. He would command 1m plus a year.

dropkick
28th-October-2010, 09:43
Would love to see him coming but he'll be offered a lot of
money to go to France.

Benji
28th-October-2010, 09:44
smileys/lol.gifNot going to happen. The money and the back row needs arent that critical. A mix of Leamy, Ronan, Coughlam. Pom, Ryan and a few more games out of wally yet.

overthehillprop
28th-October-2010, 10:17
We'll need a top quality out half after the RWC more than a backrow.

youngmunster
28th-October-2010, 10:17
Great if it happend but not a chance I would say!But Richie McCaw does not play for money according to the NZ papers he plays for the love of the sport. what great memories again: http://richie-mccaw.blogspot.com/2008/11/munster-v-new-zeala (http://richie-mccaw.blogspot.com/2008/11/munster-v-new-zealand.html) nd.html

youngmunster
28th-October-2010, 10:22
We'll need a top quality out half after the RWC more than a backrow. Did you hear that rumor about Dan Carter coming to Munster smileys/lol.gif

Bosco
28th-October-2010, 10:35
AIL level at best, too bad he wouldn't be allowed play in it

Mebawsa Ritchie
28th-October-2010, 10:44
Can he play 12 if Deasy doesn't get game time there?

Waterfordlad
28th-October-2010, 13:11
I heard the Ladyeez were interested in signing him....smileys/wink.gif

Balla Boy
28th-October-2010, 13:20
The Gwladers will go utterly spare about the amountof ball we'll be killing.

kooga made for rugby
28th-October-2010, 13:22
Adidas to pick up the tab for the pay packet!

sparks
28th-October-2010, 13:23
Great if it happend but not a chance I would say!But Richie McCaw does not play for money according to the NZ papers he plays for the love of the sport. what great memories again: http://richie-mccaw.blogspot.com/2008/11/munster-v-new-zeala (http://richie-mccaw.blogspot.com/2008/11/munster-v-new-zealand.html) nd.html

Never read that before - gave me goosebumps! Last night I was watching the NZ coverage I have and got goosebumps as well - its just an awesome match!

Thomond78
28th-October-2010, 15:04

The Gwladers will go utterly spare about the amount*of ball
we'll be killing.

Wouldn't it be wonderful?

Hell, let's start a whip-round. Cheap at the price, boys! smileys/lol.gif

28th-October-2010, 15:09

The Gwladers will go utterly spare about the amount*of ball
we'll be killing.

wouldn't just be them, would he get away with it away from
AB team? I'm not sure NH refs would let him play that way
week after week. Also the guy may not be money motivated
but the level he's at he deserves a big wage for his last few
years, I don't know that's money we could afford on one
player.

Balla Boy
28th-October-2010, 15:15
player.

Would depend on what is happening with Tuitupou, Howlett andDu Preezby then.

I can't imagine that whatever was being spent on De Villiers has been spent on his replacement.

jackothelad
28th-October-2010, 16:30
The Gwladers will go utterly spare about the amountof ball

we'll be killing.

Wouldn't it be wonderful?

Hell, let's start a whip-round. Cheap at the price, boys! smileys/lol.gif

Put the price up by 1 euro per game. An extra 26,000 x 20? home games. Half a million Yoyos. Simples. You could get Niall O'Connor for that sort of money. A Yoyo that is. Mint flavoured.

slatterg
28th-October-2010, 16:34
it would really be awesome, i'm not going to get my hopes up but if any player is a munster style player it's richie mccaw

acskerries
28th-October-2010, 17:05
wouldn't that be loverly? If I when the lotto I'll cover his first year's wages....

FORWARD....
28th-October-2010, 17:10
err. No thanks. Can we spend that cash on bringing our own through?

kahalui
28th-October-2010, 17:18
err. No thanks. Can we spend that
cash on bringing our own through?

+1

dropkick
28th-October-2010, 18:27

I agree but they're going to get 6 NIQ players anyway so they
might as well go for the best.

Thomond78
28th-October-2010, 18:36

Normally, I'd agree.

But the screams, wails, and eruptions of boiling piss that
would ensue east of the Irish Sea and west of the Severn if
this happened would be worth every cent.

Every. Damned. Cent.

Tipoki's_Step
28th-October-2010, 18:40

I agree but they're going to get 6 NIQ players anyway so they

McCaw would be a superb signing the guy is the best in the world and if we could get him we would be foolish not to take it. I agree we would be best served getting our own through, but out of interest what could they do with that money that there not already doing now. They have development squads starting when guys are 15 right throug, development officers etc. I think if there was more we could already be doing they would, don't think spending money on McCaw would prevent us bringing anyone through..the only thing would be Mcaw is the best in the world so would take the 7 spot, making us a far stronger team and preventing someone else getting game time. At the end of the day guys are on here complaining when we lose and i'd imagine even if we were losing with 15 guys that came through the academy they'd still be moaning.. The game has changed, success is demanded, world class players are needed..Very hard to produce a squad of world class home grown players, no team can do it..

ustix
28th-October-2010, 19:00

Reveal your source Junior. We, as munsterfans, have a right to know.

McCloud
28th-October-2010, 19:40
Only 2 pages on this? I'm disappointed.

ustix
28th-October-2010, 20:14

An tUasal Warwick is clearly closer to our hearts.

Cowboy
28th-October-2010, 20:43
Savage signing if it came to be, and he's young too. But
damn my cynical heart but I think we're used as a
bargaining chip by clever agents to up the wages. We
could have our pick of almost any player on the planet at
this stage, and they use that to up their commodity when
it comes to signatures. Anyway GWAN RICHIE!! Its like
mixing Wally and Quinnie into one beast of a backrower.
suit us down to the ground.

The Lion King
28th-October-2010, 21:01
If we McCaw comes we could be looking at a backrow of leamy himself POM. not to bad at all

Uncle Junior
29th-October-2010, 05:58
Ustix - my source is an old friend from NZ who worked with the Crusaders backroom team up to a few years ago. So he is fairly close to what goes on over there. He did say that McCaw was spoken to in a very "off the record" manner by Munster, but that he had listened and had made it clear that he was open minded on the subject. He (my mate)said it might happen, but then it might not - hence I debated about posting this at all.

On the other hand I did hear from him that we were signing a prop from Canterbury a good few weeks before anything happened (even though he couldn't provide a name at the time!).

It's up to yourself to take it seriously or not....

youngmunster
29th-October-2010, 07:04
Ustix - my source is an old friend from NZ who worked with the Crusaders backroom team up to a few years ago. So he is fairly close to what goes on over there. He did say that McCaw was spoken to in a very "off the record" manner by Munster, but that he had listened and had made it clear that he was open minded on the subject. He (my mate)said it might happen, but then it might not - hence I debated about posting this at all.

On the other hand I did hear from him that we were signing a prop from Canterbury a good few weeks before anything happened (even though he couldn't provide a name at the time!).

It's a <S&#079;NG>Hitchcock/Agatha Christie </S&#079;NG>scenario make your own minds up time!smileys/shock.gif

29th-October-2010, 17:40
err. No
thanks. Can we spend that

I agree but they're going to get 6 NIQ players anyway so
they

That's the one good argument, if we lost NIQs from other
positions and brought him in you'd have to say it'd be
worth doing. We need to bring through about 5 back rows
in the next 2-3 years really. McCaw, Quinlan and Wallace
to work with would be a pretty good way to do it.

29th-October-2010, 17:41

I'm working on it smileys/biggrin.gif

rofey72
29th-October-2010, 17:55
Wouldnt get in our side !! ;-)

Quailman
29th-October-2010, 20:24
McCaw is going to get offers from everywhere, but he's already said he wants to retire as an All Black (the kiwis don't have any other 7s so the job is basically his for at least the next couple of years).

NH money wouldn't be an issue for him either I don't think, he's of farming stock without any real inclination towards city life and he makes a ton in NZ from sponsorship.

rofey72
29th-October-2010, 20:49
NH money wouldn't be an issue for him either I don't think, he's of farming stock without any real inclination towards city life and he makes a ton in NZ from sponsorship.

He could live with the Bull ? smileys/lol.gif

Tobyglen
29th-October-2010, 21:37
Dream signing, the best player on the planet for the last 5 years.

lactose intolerant
29th-October-2010, 21:44

smileys/shock.gif
POM will be devastated

Tobyglen
29th-October-2010, 21:47

smileys/shock.gif
POM will be devastated

It will good for McCaw to learn the new up and coming tricks from the master in waiting, future world domination beckons for POM when he gets chomping on the maximuscle.

isola ciarrai
29th-October-2010, 21:50
Not interested, to be candid. The only NIQs who have worked
for us have been players late in their careers, who feel
unappreciated or unfulfilled in their native lands, who feel
they have something to prove and are mad to win something,
to make their mark on the sport - Langford, Halstead, Tipoki,
Payne, Jim Williams - contrast to Cullen (whatever about
injuries, missing a simple firstup tackle on Voyce who then
scored in Wasps semi was unforgivable) and de Villiers
(minimal contribution but apparently he loved to see the snow
last winter here!) Howlett is the exception which proves the
rule. But wait..what about Sammy...ah, fuggedaboutit.

Tobyglen
29th-October-2010, 21:54

Howlett, only Cullen really didn't work for our marquee signings.

JDV was excellent last season, comfortably our best player in the second half of the season behind a pack that was getting manshamed.

I think we have only made 3 marquee signings since professionalism, Howlett, JDV and Cullen. 2 were/are excellent and the other was just misfortunate.

McCloud
29th-October-2010, 21:57

Next season is the world cup. Believe me he'll be gagging to win some thing after thatsmileys/wink.gif

That would be J de Villiars Munsters top try scorer the season he played with us?

busbi
2nd-November-2010, 09:21
I don't really believe for a second we'll see McCaw in Munster next year, too much money will be offered to him in France.

However, are those saying "don't want him/not interested/lets bring in unknown with something to prove instead" actually serious??? As happy as i have been with the Halsteads, Williams and Tipokis, Ritchie McCaw would simply be a better signing than all of them put together,more soin the context of Wally and Quinne not being around after the World Cup.

Uncle Junior
2nd-November-2010, 09:25
BTW - did anyone see his bust up the right wing in the lead up to Nonu's try v Oz at the weekend? Sweet J*sus that was some power - might have been why the little twat Quade Cooper was so keen on giving it to McCaw when Oz scored at the very end....

Charco
2nd-November-2010, 12:35
Saw that yeah, more to do with Quade being in the ROG
mould of tackler smileys/lol.gif

Benji
2nd-November-2010, 12:55
Not going to happen. His a god in NEW Zealand and if his going to go it will be to sunny France and the big bucks.

bosh12
2nd-November-2010, 12:58
Surely we'd have to move McCaw to 8to make room for POM at 7

Balla Boy
2nd-November-2010, 13:02
I'd say it's highly unlikely, but I'm not sure I'd buy into the suggestion that it's a non-starter.

We brought DeVilliers here when he would have had options in France, as we did with Howlett. Dougie's presence here is generally accepted now, but there were those who poured a fair bit of derision about the place when the possibility was first floated.

The Munster board have proved themselves to be reasonably adept in securing international players.

We clearly have spending power, and we clearly have pull. Whether we choose to sink it all into one openside is a different question, but it's not outside the realms of possibility.

JoeyFantastic
2nd-November-2010, 13:05
McCaw is clearly not a bright lights, big city type of guy and
it's clearly not about the money, he could have named his
price in France for the last 5 years.

If we did sign him though you'd have to wonder about how
much his body can take, I'd say it's only being held together
now for the prospect of a RWC win.

Uncle Junior
2nd-November-2010, 13:09
And there's the Adidas angle from a commercial point of view (which had a fair bit to do with Doug coming our way)....

And what playing with McCaw would do for the careers of some of the younger guys in Munster would be unquantifiable. You would go a long way to see a more committed and disciplined (in terms of not losing the rag when idiots like Cooper are riling you) player.

I would say it would be the signing of the decade - but I also think the bottomless pockets in France would have a big say.

Cowboy
2nd-November-2010, 13:32
From Richie's point of view a stint in Ireland would be best for
prolonging his career. He'll definitely play less here and get
more time off than if he headed to France.

2nd-November-2010, 17:53
From Richie's point of view a stint in
Ireland would be best for

Correct me if I'm wrong but Dougie has been playing week
in week out when fit since joining, I can only remember 1
game he's been rested for. Because he's an NIQ he's
played far more than IQ players would have done. I'd
expect McCaw to be the same.

My only concern with this others will benefit from him being
here bit is that some of those guys are at the point of
needing game time not just watching someone else play.
We could show them videos to do that so it needs to be
very well managed to make sure they actually develop
while he's here.

busbi
2nd-November-2010, 18:04
From Richie's point of view
a stint in

while he's here.

Dougie doesn't have ML games in the international windows though,
where those in the GP and Top 14 have to slog through it.

While money is obviously the biggest issue with the SH international
players, a big thing is the break from constant traveling and time
away from their families. They nearly all speak about that when
discussing moves to Europe.

davidos
2nd-November-2010, 18:21
So when is he signing?

Is Frankie organising his house?

Cowboy
2nd-November-2010, 18:38
From
Richie's point of view
a stint in

while he's here.

Dougie doesn't have ML games in the international windows
though,
where those in the GP and Top 14 have to slog through it.

While money is obviously the biggest issue with the SH
international
players, a big thing is the break from constant traveling and
time
away from their families. They nearly all speak about that when
discussing moves to Europe.

Plus, and with all due respect, playing the italian sides or the
weaker league teams isnt quite as taxing as playing s15 or
getting your head taken off by some nutbar in a bottom half,
t14 team. Dougie went home to the NZ summer during the last
autumn internationals if I remember correctly? I'd say Richie
would be playing a fair few less games across 12 months for an
irish team than any other european teams.

Grandpasimpson
2nd-November-2010, 19:32

<S&#079;NG>My only concern with this others will benefit from him being
while he's here</S&#079;NG>.

you are underestimating the value of training day-in-day-out with a legend of the game, the best in his position in the world...imagine what the likes of POM would learn from him on a daily basis. Anybody can say "look at this youtube clip and do that" but when you are there learning in real time from a world class operator the difference is light years. I would say that what Keith Earls has learned from Dougie and the likes of Rua is incalculable.

Grandpasimpson
2nd-November-2010, 19:35

He could live with the Bull ? smileys/lol.gif

there's be some silage pit covering done thensmileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gif

3rd-November-2010, 16:32
Ireland would be best for prolonging his career. He'll
definitely play less here and get more time off than if he
headed to France. Correct me if I'm wrong but
Dougie has been playing week in week out when fit since
joining, I can only remember 1 game he's been rested for.
Because he's an NIQ he's played far more than IQ players
would have done. I'd expect McCaw to be the same.
&lt;SONG&gt;My only concern with this others will benefit from
him being here bit is that some of those guys are at the
point of needing game time not just watching someone else
play. We could show them videos to do that so it needs to
be very well managed to make sure they actually develop
while he's here&lt;/SONG&gt;.

you are underestimating the value of training day-in-
day-out with a legend of the game, the best in his position
in the world...imagine what the likes of POM would learn
from him on a daily basis. Anybody can say "look at this
youtube clip and do that" but when you are there learning
in real time from a world class operator the difference is
light years. I would say that what Keith Earls has learned
from Dougie and the likes of Rua is incalculable.

I totally agree BUT at some point these guys have to show
they can take those skills onto the pitch. Just training
around this guy isn't going to do that. If being around the
likes of Dougie and Rua is so great why have we still not
brought through a new IC (for one example) after they've
trained alongside Halstead, Tipoki and DeVilliers for the
past 5 years? Could it be because we don't actually have
any game time to be developing these guys beyond
training?

Grandpasimpson
3rd-November-2010, 21:13
Ireland would be best for prolonging his career. He'll
definitely play less here and get more time off than if he
headed to France. Correct me if I'm wrong but
Dougie has been playing week in week out when fit since
joining, I can only remember 1 game he's been rested for.
Because he's an NIQ he's played far more than IQ players
would have done. I'd expect McCaw to be the same.
&lt;SONG&gt;My only concern with this others will benefit from
him being here bit is that some of those guys are at the
point of needing game time not just watching someone else
play. We could show them videos to do that so it needs to
be very well managed to make sure they actually develop
while he's here&lt;/SONG&gt;.

you are underestimating the value of training day-in-
day-out with a legend of the game, the best in his position
in the world...imagine what the likes of POM would learn
from him on a daily basis. Anybody can say "look at this
youtube clip and do that" but when you are there learning
in real time from a world class operator the difference is
light years. I would say that what Keith Earls has learned
from Dougie and the likes of Rua is incalculable.

I totally agree BUT at some point these guys have to show
they can take those skills onto the pitch. Just training
around this guy isn't going to do that. If being around the
likes of Dougie and Rua is so great why have we still not
brought through a new IC (for one example) after they've
trained alongside Halstead, Tipoki and DeVilliers for the
past 5 years? Could it be because we don't actually have
any game time to be developing these guys beyond
training?

or is it just because we just dont have them? Better players keep us playing at a higher level and when the likes of Earls and it seems Ivan Dineen come along they are being taught by the very best.

Leinster_Lad
3rd-November-2010, 22:49
smileys/lol.gif Lads you're grasping at straws at this stage.

Invest in grass routes and schools system. Signings in Irish rugby is the equvilent of borrowing money to get out of debt...you're only delaying the inevitable while falling further down the rabbit hole.

I'm aware of Leinsters redonk amount of front row signings this season, which I think is stupid and crazy, but other than that I think we're in very good shape for the forseeable future. Munster need to focus on the longer term and not big name signings to patch the holes.

McCloud
3rd-November-2010, 22:57

Invest in grass routes and schools system. Signings in Irish rugby is the equvilent of borrowing money to get out of debt...you're only delaying the inevitable while falling further down the rabbit hole.

I'm aware of Leinsters redonk amount of front row signings this season, which I think is stupid and crazy, but other than that I think we're in very good shape for the forseeable future. Munster need to focus on the longer term and not big name signings to patch the holes.

Now this is seriously funnysmileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gif

redonksmileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gif

Hugonaut
4th-November-2010, 04:05

High-end signings can be absolutely massive for a club: on the pitch, in terms of their individual performance, how they can make the other quality players around them play better, how they can provide the 'missing link' that the club or province can't produce from within, how they can provide leadership to younger players when internationals are away on call etc.

Something that is often ignored when making this argument is the fact that young players almost invariably say that they learn a huge amount from foreign signings - Cian Healy has often said this about Ollie le Roux in Leinster, ditto Sexton about Contepomi.

Off the pitch, it's a question of how they can convince talented players that the club is serious about winning trophies in the short term, how they can attract more people to games, how they can sell more jerseys and in general how they can raise the profile of the club both in Ireland and abroad, so that they can continue to attract the calibre of the player they're looking for.

There are massive pros to getting a world class player in, and McCaw is as good as they get. 5 IRB International Player of the Year nominations? Are you f*cking kidding me? He has the best claim of anybody to be the outstanding forward of the professional era in rugby, and to my mind at least is the greatest openside to ever play the game.

ceemec
4th-November-2010, 04:23
McCaw would have a serious knock on effect across the
team which would be superb. The highly rated Munster
back row youngsters would surely be influenced massively
by his presence in training and the benefit of his arrival
would be seen for several years after his departure I'm
sure.

With all that said, he's not going to be the be all and end all
player on the pitch that people think he will be in my
opinion. He'll be 31 and just having come from the WC. The
bloke will be mentally exhausted and whilst he'll probably
be the best player on the pitch on plenty of occasions, I
don't think he'll be dominating games in the manner we've
come to expect from him at least not until the following
season. I doubt he'll be able to motivate himself to play to
the level he normally does for NZ. By his own admittance,
the black jersey is everything to him and I can't see him
bringing his game to the same level if he leaves his
homeland. I think the real benefit of a signing like this
would be behind the scenes over time when the likes of
POM and Butler become top players. Also, as Hugo points
out, the commercial aspect of a signing like this cannot be
ignored.

galinka
4th-November-2010, 16:28
i had the same dream earlier in the week - must have been after Oz loss!!

Ideal for Munster - match made in Adidas!

glorob
4th-November-2010, 17:08
We will not be in a position to afford him post the RWC.

The really bad times are comming and they will have a serious impact on the finances of the IRFU and Munster Rugby.

fitzy73
4th-November-2010, 17:12
Meh. What would the young backrows learn? To cheat? If McCaw
was reffed properly he'd be half the player people think he is.

I'd prefer James O'Connor to come home to his roots. smileys/biggrin.gif

Bosco
4th-November-2010, 17:15

NZ and Sud Afrika? smileys/biggrin.gif

sewa
4th-November-2010, 19:29

All back rows cheat. McAwe is brilliant at it but to dismiss him on that basis is wrong. He is / wasa simply superb player

123UCG
4th-November-2010, 22:37

And Quinlan, Dallaglio, Hill, Back, Magne all great back rows never cheated? Please. I cheat at 9 if I can.

LLCOOLJ14
5th-November-2010, 05:48
from the horses mouth, he plans to stay in NZ after the WC, unless he gets hounded out!

Unlikely to ever play in Europe,but "never says never".

spinner
5th-November-2010, 06:14
Can you just imagine a back row with Quinnie and Mccaw. A veritable vortex of the DarkArts.

sepico
5th-November-2010, 07:26

what are you on about, it really annoys me when people come out with this rubbish, do you think if every 7 in the game had the skill and intelligence to put themselves in the right position nearly all of the time that they wouldnt, he has been playing the same way since his first cap at a time when he was unknown to refs, we all stand and applaud quinnie who is one of the biggest cheats in the game but when richie bends the rules its tears and tantrums

ustix
5th-November-2010, 13:54

Thank you for your unexpected frankness Uncle.
On Richie's arrival I, for one, shall salute you.

Thomond78
5th-November-2010, 14:26
Meh. What would the young backrows
learn? To cheat? If McCaw

That's what the job of a seven <s&#111;ng>IS</s&#111;ng>, FFS! Learn from the
master! smileys/lol.gif

Hawkeye
5th-November-2010, 14:30
If Munster were smart they would get him signed up before the World Cup. Break the bank on this one. Christ did you see him last week against Australia.Simply in a class of his own!

Uncle Junior
5th-November-2010, 14:44
Re last week v Oz - Pocock was lauded for his performance but on the other hand if you take away his 2 or 3 steals at rucks (which were important/excellent etc etc) there were a few tackles but not much else. On the other hand McCaw was tackling/stealing ball/slowing up ball/carrying/anything else you can think of.

McCaw has simply been the outstanding rugny player on the planet for a number of years. And he has the down the earth personality to go with it. He would be the best signing Munster would ever have made (and I include the stellar signings of Langford/Williams/Tipoki).

Here's hoping.....

TippRed
6th-November-2010, 17:39
McCaw has said on a few occasions that he would never repeat never play NZ. He has said that he has had proposals in the past but the money does not interest him. No doubt he might change his mind by I would think unlikely.

fitzy73
6th-November-2010, 18:32
Meh. What would the young
backrows
learn? To cheat? If McCaw

That's what the job of a seven &lt;song&gt;IS&lt;/song&gt;, FFS! Learn from
the
master! smileys/lol.gif

The problem with this recession lark is that the nations sense of
humour is skewed.

Who wouldn't want McCaw?

Maybe we need an irony smiley!

youngmunster
15th-November-2010, 11:23
Looks like McCaw will be asked to stay in NZ unil atleast 2012:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&amp; (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&amp;&#111;bjectid=10686025) objectid=10686025

TheBlueMovie
15th-November-2010, 21:03
Looks like McCaw will be asked to stay in NZ unil atleast 2012:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&amp; (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&amp;&#111;bjectid=10686025) objectid=10686025

Being asked is a lot different from actually staying. If hes being asked then obviously there IS interest from oversea sides and they're worried.

banjaxed
19th-December-2010, 07:44
McCaw to miss post-WC mass exodus?
Sun, 19 Dec 2010 11:26

Richie McCaw looks unlikely to join the expected exodus of top New Zealand players to cash-flush European clubs after next year's World Cup on home soil.

Speaking to the Sunday Star Times, McCaw revealed that he is in talks with the New Zealand Rugby Union about extending his contract beyond 2011.

While many of his All Black teammates are weighing up big offers from overseas clubs, the 29-year-old McCaw said he wants to carry on captaining the national team and bring through the next generation of players.

"I'm having a really good think about it and I've always said enjoyment is the key," McCaw told the Sunday Star Times.

"Rugby is a passion for me but enjoying it is the key. I loved it this year, I loved running out for an international and playing for the All Blacks, there's nothing better.

"So I want to keep going. I'm talking to the union about what they want from me and what I want. If we can come to an agreement I'd love to carry on because I'm enjoying this.

"But I do have a bit to think about over the next wee while. I said I was going to do that on the tour but it didn't pan out like that and I think now that this is the right time," said the All Blacks skipper.

"I'm having a break, I'm getting refreshed about rugby and I'll start talking about it.

"I've made no secret of it that I love playing in New Zealand and my desires to play overseas have never been that great.

"Those desires change as you move on in your career, but you can't beat running out in front of 80,000 people at the Millennium Stadium or somewhere else and you'd be a mug to not want to do it for as long as you can."

It will be a very different All Blacks team after the RWC, not only will there be changes to the coaching team, with Wayne Smith already saying he'll move on after the tournament, there will be many senior players ending their time with the team.

It will be tough for the team to maintain their momentum with the backbone of the side gone, but McCaw wants to play a key role in establishing the next generation of experienced All Blacks.

"You never know what the coaches are going to do, there could be a new coach, who knows?" he said.

"I want to see the All Blacks keep performing after the world cup. It's not just about one game or one year. It's about doing it right and I want to make sure that when I move on, whenever that is, that it's at the right time."

mac22
19th-December-2010, 08:01
smileys/sad.gifWell thats that so

fogerty
19th-December-2010, 08:08
Even if he was to come up here, theres no way Munster could afford him. And anyway, he cant play tighthead.

doochbagg
19th-December-2010, 08:38
Sign Wayne Smith up to coach munster

SHRR
19th-December-2010, 11:13
Im suprised you would even consider signing a cheat!!!!!!!!!!!

The Gwladers will go utterly spare about the amountof ball
we'll be killing.

player.

SHRR
19th-December-2010, 11:21

<S&#079;NG>My only concern with this others will benefit from him being
while he's here</S&#079;NG>.

you are underestimating the value of training day-in-day-out with <S&#079;NG>a legend</S&#079;NG> of the game, the best in his position in the world...imagine what the likes of POM would learn from him on a daily basis. Anybody can say "look at this youtube clip and do that" but when you are there learning in real time from a world class operator the difference is light years. I would say that what Keith Earls has learned from Dougie and the likes of Rua is incalculable. Cheat to legend in the space of a month????

Old Dog
19th-December-2010, 11:23
Sign Wayne Smith up to coach munster

Excellent suggestion. (I'm 100% serious)

TheBlueMovie
19th-December-2010, 11:27
It looks like Munster are bringing in Nonu and McCaw after the world cup. Success CAN be bought, those two could even turn Connacht into Heineken Cup Champions in one season!! I'm extremely jealous but then again I'd prefer to see the likes of O'Brien and O'Malley/McFadden getting gametime then bringing in some NIQ players.....no matter how good.

Then again, I'll probably change that opinion when Munster go on a season long unbeaten run with Nonu and McCaw wrecking teams for fun!

BourkeofDublin
19th-December-2010, 11:29
It looks like Munster are bringing
in Nonu and McCaw after the world cup. Success CAN be
bought, those two could even turn Connacht into Heineken Cup
Champions in one season!! I'm extremely jealous but then
again I'd prefer to see the likes of O'Brien and
O'Malley/McFadden getting gametime then bringing in some
NIQ players.....no matter how good.

Then again, I'll probably change that opinion when Munster
go on a season long unbeaten run with Nonu and McCaw
wrecking teams for fun!
2 players dont make a team...

Cowboy
19th-December-2010, 11:33
Fella's like those two will be looking to championship winning
sides if they do decide to move up this part of the world. Us
not getting into the knockouts would seriously dampen our attractiveness in their eyes I would wager. They'll want teams
that are growing and improving that they can add to, not
teams headed in the opposite direction.

Old Dog
19th-December-2010, 11:36
Fella's like those two will be looking to championship winning
sides if they do decide to move up this part of the world. Us
not getting into the knockouts would seriously dampen our attractiveness in their eyes I would wager. They'll want teams
that are growing and improving that they can add to, not
teams headed in the opposite direction.

That may be the PR spin - but in reality they (or their agents) will be looking at the money on offer. Bottom line is moolah. Otherwise they'll go to Japan.

TheBlueMovie
19th-December-2010, 11:36
It looks like Munster are bringing
in Nonu and McCaw after the world cup. Success CAN be
bought, those two could even turn Connacht into Heineken Cup
Champions in one season!! I'm extremely jealous but then
again I'd prefer to see the likes of O'Brien and
O'Malley/McFadden getting gametime then bringing in some
NIQ players.....no matter how good.

Then again, I'll probably change that opinion when Munster
go on a season long unbeaten run with Nonu and McCaw
wrecking teams for fun!

2 players dont make a team...

They can make a hell of a change. Case in point being Rocky Elsom at Leinster.

Cowboy
19th-December-2010, 11:40
Fella's like those
two will be looking to championship winning sides if they do
decide to move up this part of the world. Us not getting
into the knockouts would seriously dampen our
attractiveness in their eyes I would wager. They'll want
teams that are growing and improving that they can add
to, not teams headed in the opposite direction.

That may be the PR spin - but in reality they (or their
agents) will be looking at the money on offer.** Bottom line
is moolah.Otherwise they'll go to Japan.

Very valid point, I dont know how the munster revenue is
dedicated but i'd wonder are they tied to the money we
make out of a good Heineken Cup run? What I'm asking is
how much is the knockouts worth and what do we do with
the money from said knockouts? Would us being knock out
in January have a massive effect on our buying power or is
the money after that small?

Old Dog
19th-December-2010, 11:42
After the QF's all of the gate money goes to the ERC, as far as I know.

So a home QF is the finalchance that clubs have to make revenue from the HEC. (But I think the IRFU may reward provinces for making further progress in the cup.)

Mcork
19th-December-2010, 16:08
Don't need McCaw. It would be far better to get a INTL tighthead prop who can make sure we are not humiliated in the scrum as we were last night. Having a platform there is far more important. Should be a priority.

i am munster-abu
19th-December-2010, 16:47
Don't need McCaw. It would be far better to get a INTL
tighthead prop who can make sure we are not humiliated in
the scrum as we were last night. Having a platform there is far
more important. Should be a priority.
+1

overthehillprop
19th-December-2010, 17:06
Don't need McCaw. It would be far better to get a INTL

the scrum as we were last night. Having a platform there is far

+1

not going to happen in the short term anyway. We have three TH props, two under central contracts and a Project player. PAG will never allow it.

Red October
19th-December-2010, 18:19
Don't need McCaw. It would be
far better to get a INTL
the scrum as we were last night. Having a platform there is
far
+1not going to happen in the short term anyway.
We have three TH props, two under central contracts and a
Project player. PAG will never allow it.

Not unless we force the issue.

We have been far too passive off the field. An apprentice
Head Coach. An apprentice Team Manager.

Anyone would think we weren't serious. Why should we
expect to be taken seriously?

I say that flippantly, easily said - yet the frustrating thing is
that I find it hard to be constructive here; I'm not seeing
what we can realistically do about it in the shorter term.

When John Hayes' contract came due, much as it pains me
to say this of the man who has given so much; Munster
should have said to the PAG/IRFU that if they wanted to
offer him a central 'Irish' contract then so be it, but that
Munster wouldn't be offering him a Munster deal.

Perhaps not possible the way the contracting is done, I'm
not sure.

I do know that Hayes being contracted at this stage of his
life, is absolutely bloody killing us. I suspect we may be
very close to saying the same about Fla & Marcus, although
rubbing the miraculous medals might see them squeeze a
wee bit more time out yet.

But should we be in the business of rubbing miraculous
medals, or being hardnosed and taking blunt, unpopular
decisions because they need to be taken? Cheika stuck
the boot in at Leinster. They needed it.

We need that edge now.

We should go gangbusters after Jamie Hagan. WDP can
play both sides. He'll not have many harder days at the
office than against Jones.

If I ever see an overly tall prop get subbed off because
he's been gotten under and driven up & in, yet see another
overly tall prop take his place; I think I'll just go sit in a
corner, suck my thumb and hum lullabies to myself.

19th-December-2010, 18:36
Reality is he could come to Munster and be reff'd off the park.
He's getting away with murder for NZ. Despite what many
Welsh fans will try to claim Munster clearly don't get away with
it and McCaw would pick up more yellow cards in a season for
Munster than he would in 10 lifetimes for NZ. It won't work
out how people think it will.

Mcork
19th-December-2010, 18:49

he's been gotten under and driven up &amp; in, yet see another

Thought it was an insane substitution because Buckley was struggling badly but we all knew that Hayes would be completely destroyed. My heart sank when he came on. Smal/Kidney must take a lot of blame for this as Hayes is their 'investment' and they don't want to admit that their money is gone (a bit like Irish bond holders). Munster are paying a heavy price now for decisions at the top. We should have an INTL prop who could go head to head with Mushy in training and bring him up to speed. I dare say it but we could even asked Chika to give us Mike Ross back since he didn't seem to like him. Bad bad decisions.

jeepers
19th-December-2010, 22:33

he's been gotten under and driven up &amp; in, yet see another

Thought it was an insane substitution because Buckley was struggling badly but we all knew that Hayes would be completely destroyed. My heart sank when he came on. Smal/Kidney must take a lot of blame for this as Hayes is their 'investment' and they don't want to admit that their money is gone (a bit like Irish bond holders). Munster are paying a heavy price now for decisions at the top. We should have an INTL prop who could go head to head with Mushy in training and bring him up to speed. I dare say it but we could even asked Chika to give us Mike Ross back since he didn't seem to like him. Bad bad decisions.

Borlase is not registered for the Heineken Cup. Presumably he will be registered for the next round. Archer would be the next in line if the Bull wasn't there.
(by the way, Ross has about 2 caps against 2 tier countries which doesn't make him an international standard scrummager).

youngmunster
20th-December-2010, 05:33
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6603327,00.ht (http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6603327,00.html) ml
While many top southern hemisphere players are ready to pack their bags and head North after the 2011 World Cup, All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw has suggested his future is in New Zealand.

The attraction of a end-of-career payday in France or England has become a trend for All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies and the rumour mill is already clogged with stories of big names on the move after next year's global showpiece.

But the IRB's Player of the Year has indicated that his is looking to prolonging his international career as long as possible rather than make an early move North.

"I'm having a really good think about it and I've always said enjoyment is the key," McCaw told the Sunday Star Times.

"Rugby is a passion for me but enjoying it is the key. I loved it this year, I loved running out for an international and playing for the All Blacks, there's nothing better.

"So I want to keep going. I'm talking to the union about what they want from me and what I want. If we can come to an agreement I'd love to carry on because I'm enjoying this.

"But I do have a bit to think about over the next wee while. I said I was going to do that on the tour but it didn't pan out like that and I think now that this is the right time. I'm having a break, I'm getting refreshed about rugby and I'll start talking about it.

McCaw insists that the bright lights of Europe's big cities have never been able to compare to running out for the All Blacks.

"I've made no secret of it that I love playing in New Zealand and my desires to play overseas have never been that great," he said.

"Those desires change as you move on in your career, but you can't beat running out in front of 80,000 people at the Millennium Stadium or somewhere else and you'd be a mug to not want to do it for as long as you can.

Beyond the World Cup, McCaw explained that he is eager to be part of making sure the legacy created during his tenure as captain is continued.

"You never know what the coaches are going to do, there could be a new coach, who knows?" he added.

"I want to see the All Blacks keep performing after the World Cup. It's not just about one game or one year. It's about doing it right and I want to make sure that when I move on, whenever that is, that it's at the right time."

Tobyglen
25th-May-2011, 09:02
Good man Richie, glad he's not joining the exodus to
France. Try & get Toeava to leave though smileys/wink.gif

Richie McCaw has signed a new four-year deal which will
keep him in New Zealand after this Rugby World Cup.

The All Blacks captain has joined star fly-half Dan Carter in
signing a new contract which will prevent both of them
taking up lucrative long-term offers to play abroad.

McCaw's four-year deal will allow him to take a break from
the game or for the 30-year-old to take up a short-term
overseas contract.

"I've always said that as long as I am enjoying playing
footy in New Zealand then I will stay," said McCaw.

"I still have the hunger and desire to continue to play for
the All Blacks and the (Canterbury) Crusaders, and there
are still things I want to achieve as a player."

The New Zealand Rugby Union were delighted to keep both
players out of the clutches of foreign clubs and with
Canterbury.

"He (McCaw) is an inspiration both on and off the field and
as our most-capped test captain and All Black, he will
provide New Zealand rugby and the All Blacks with a very
solid foundation to approach the next four years from
2012," said NZRU chief executive Steve Tew.

jeepers
25th-May-2011, 09:22
"McCaw's four-year deal will allow him to take a break from
</span>the game </span>or for the 30-year-old to take up a short-term
overseas contract."

We could yet see him in Thomond Park (playing for a French club)!

the plastic paddy
25th-May-2011, 09:31
Pleased Carter and McCaw are staying at home. Speaking to kiwi friends of mine think the Earthquake has massively changed the priorities for a lot of Kiwis and crusaders players especially. They mind want to keep playing anyway after Ireland win the RWC in Octobersmileys/wink.gif

redherring
25th-May-2011, 09:37
Forget Richie McCaw, someone like Heinrich Brussow would be ideal for Munster.

rathbaner
25th-May-2011, 10:01
Speaking to kiwi friends of mine think the Earthquake has massively changed the priorities for a lot of Kiwis and crusaders players especially.

How d'you mean?

jmccoy
25th-May-2011, 12:24
"McCaw's four-year deal will allow him
&lt;span style="font-weight: bold;"&gt;to take a break from
&lt;/span&gt;&lt;span style="font-weight: bold;"&gt;the game
&lt;/span&gt;or for the 30-year-old to take up a short-term
overseas contract."We could yet see him in Thomond Park
(playing for a French club)!

I already had the pleasure of seeing him in Thomond Park smileys/razz.gif