PDA

View Full Version : Who’s gonna start against ulster

munster65
19th-October-2010, 13:38
Given the amount of injuries to backs and the clear out with the internationals who is the starting 15 v ulster

1 Du Preeze ,

2, Fogarty /

3 Sherry / Archer

4 Holland

5 Butler

6 Quinlan

7 Niall Ronan/ O Donnell

8 Coughlan

9 Williams

10 Warwick

11 Howlett

12 Deasey/ Ronan

13 Tuitupou

14 Zebo/ Hurley

15 Hurley /

subs dave Ryan,Stephen Archer,Sherry,

do we need to buy in a few backs or are we going to see dutchy and payne togging out , will mossy lawlor make a comeback.

Seagull
19th-October-2010, 14:08
Fogarty's still injured isn't he, so Mike Sherry is probably going to get the nod there (not as a prop I think) or Henry. If Darragh Hurley isn't injured I'd expect him to feature in the frontrow at some stage.I would have thought Nagle for the second row ahead of Butler who is a back-row.Maybe POM for the bench ahead of Butler?Mind you Ronan might well end up in the centres as I think Sammy is still suspended.

19th-October-2010, 14:18
The ref.

munster65
19th-October-2010, 14:29
11 out between suspension and injury , and then the internationals

nuke
19th-October-2010, 14:37
Scanlon, Hurley, Deasy, Tuitopou(Gleeson), Zebo, Warwick, Williams, Du Preez, Henry, Dave Ryan, Holland, Ryan, Quinlan, Ronan, O'Mahoney

Archer, Hurley, Sherry, Nagle, Coughlan, Murray, Gleeson/Dineen, Cusack

Will Sammy T still be suspended then ?

munster65
19th-October-2010, 14:41
3 weeks from the date of the game i think

Seagull
19th-October-2010, 14:50
Scanlon, Hurley, Deasy, Tuitopou(Gleeson), Zebo, Warwick, Williams, Du Preez, Henry, Dave Ryan, Holland, Ryan, Quinlan, Ronan, O'Mahoney

Ryan's with the Irish squad. Can't see O'Mahony ahead of Coughan at 8 myself. Bit worrying when you think what we could be putting out against Australia.

munster65
19th-October-2010, 14:51
was that dave ryan

kermit
19th-October-2010, 14:52
What about Treviso?

munster65
19th-October-2010, 15:04
less of a problem as Kidney may need a few players to get more game time , like earls , wally , hayes , horan,, varley might be a sub

BigLad
19th-October-2010, 17:19
the players that dont make the 23 man squad will be released

munster65
19th-October-2010, 17:22
will jone murphy on his current form make the squad then.

ustix
19th-October-2010, 17:26

Ryan's with the Irish squad. Can't see O'Mahony ahead of Coughan at 8 myself. Bit worrying when you think what we could be putting out against Australia.

Prestige fixture. Worry not, they'll do us proud, whoever they are.

munster65
19th-October-2010, 17:28
not true , i have been to ravenhill times when jason holland got a run out last year , and Kidney has a big say in who mcgahan picks these days

BigLad
19th-October-2010, 17:30
the squad will be (23)

healy, buckley, horan,varley, cronin ,hayes, doc,toner,ryan, o brien, wallace, heaslip, leamy, stringer, rog, sexton, reddan, bod, darcy, earls, fitzgerald, kearney, bowe

unless some one would like to disagree

sewa
19th-October-2010, 18:55
not true , i have been to ravenhill times when jason holland got a run out last year , and Kidney has a big say in who mcgahan picks these days

Correct. Big ego hasnt a notion

busbi
19th-October-2010, 19:16
We'll be down a few, nothing nearly as major as some are making out.
We have a strong enough squad to be able to get a win up there. From
the backs all we'll be missing will be ROG and Earls and maybe Stringer.
In the backrow Wally and Leamy, DOC and MOD in the 2nd, and
Buckley and maybe Varley in the front row.

That being the case i'd imagine we'll have: Murphy, Howlett, Deasy,
Tui(Gleeson), Hurley, Warwick, Stringer, Coughlan, Ronan, Quinlan,
Ryan, Holland, Hayes, Varley/Fla( available for match fitness)/Sherry,
Horan.

sewa
19th-October-2010, 19:27
http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27120&a (http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27120&TPN=3) mp;TPN=3

So Busbi you are gone from 5 players missing to 9. Its pretty clear who is bluffing smileys/lol.gif

busbi
19th-October-2010, 19:35
<a href="http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?
<br / target="_blank">TID=27120&TPN=3">
http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27120&a
mp;TPN=3</a>

So Busbi you are gone from 5 players missing to 9. Its pretty clear
who is bluffing smileys/lol.gif

Nobody willing to interweb fight with you on Leinsterfans or PR?

lawrence
19th-October-2010, 19:53

Ryan's with the Irish squad. Can't see O'Mahony ahead of Coughan at 8 myself. Bit worrying when you think what we co uld be putting out against Australia.

it begs the question, HCUP and ML, autumn internationals on top of that, whats the f**king point of a game against australia on a tuesday night. its not going to be the munster team or the australia team just a way of filling a stadium on a tuesday night.

sewa
19th-October-2010, 20:37
<A href="http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?<br / target=" _blank? target="_blank">TID=27120&amp;TPN=3"&gt;
http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27120&a mp;a
mp;TPN=3</A>

I haven't posted on either in years. Nice try to deflect the attention thoughfrom your nonsense

sewa
19th-October-2010, 20:48
it begs the question, HCUP and ML, autumn internationals on top of that, whats the f**king point of a game against australia on a tuesday night. its not going to be the munster team or the australia team just a way of filling a stadium on a tuesday night.
[/QUOTE]

You'd be better off looking back at the All Blacks game DVD and it would answer this for you. Alternatively try looking back at Munster's history pre 1999. This is a huge game. The AI games are the waste of time asproven by the sides our opposition often send

JoeyFantastic
19th-October-2010, 20:59
Exactly Sewa, if you have to ask you're missing the point.

Wrt to the Ulster game, we'll no doubt send a weak team,
lose, and never hear the end of it even after Ulster drop back
down the league and drift out of Europe... Like the Australia
fixture, it's almost got a long tradition at this stage.

sewa
19th-October-2010, 21:00
Exactly Sewa, if you have to ask you're missing the point.

Wrt to the Ulster game, we'll no doubt send a weak team,
lose, and never hear the end of it even after Ulster drop back
down the league and drift out of Europe... Like the Australia
fixture, it's almost got a long tradition at this stage.

smileys/lol.gif

McCloud
19th-October-2010, 21:54
Given the amount of injuries to backs and the clear out with the internationals who is the starting 15 v ulster

1 Du Preeze ,

2, Fogarty /

3 Sherry / Archer

4 Holland

5 Butler

6 Quinlan

7 Niall Ronan/ O Donnell

8 Coughlan

9 Williams

10 Warwick

11 Howlett

12 Deasey/ Ronan

13 Tuitupou

14 Zebo/ Hurley

15 Hurley /

subs dave Ryan,Stephen Archer,Sherry,

do we need to buy in a few backs or are we going to see dutchy and payne togging out , will mossy lawlor make a comeback.

Treviso first up or is this just arrogance gone mad?

munster65
20th-October-2010, 06:51
no , but we wont lose as many players to the treviso game , as they wont be paneled to the irish side , i also never said we were going to win . The interpros used to mean something one time as they were the h/c games of their time .

busbi
20th-October-2010, 09:46
<A href="http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?<br / target=" target=_blank _blank? target="_blank">TID=27120&amp;TPN=3"&gt;
http://www.munsterfans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27120&a mp;a mp;a
mp;TPN=3</A>

I haven't posted on either in years. Nice try to deflect the attention thoughfrom your nonsense

Highest/Lowest estimations. No big deal Sewer, relax a bit and save it all for theAI's.

sewa
20th-October-2010, 09:50
Sewer smileys/lol.gif. All the kids respond to name calling when they are caught talking nonsense. I am also a racist and a tool apparently. smileys/lol.gif

busbi
20th-October-2010, 10:18
Your right Sewa, i apologise and withdraw it and hope no offence was caused. I also sincerely apologise for disgruntling you by adding another three players the list that i believe may be missing for Ulster game, if i everthought it would have caused you such excitement and distress i would have thought twice about it.

sewa
20th-October-2010, 10:39
Apology accepted in the good faith in which it was intended Busbi.

lawrence
20th-October-2010, 16:00

You'd be better off looking back at the All Blacks game DVD and it would answer this for you. Alternatively try looking back at Munster's history pre 1999. This is a huge game. The AI games are the waste of time asproven by the sides our opposition often sendfar
[/QUOTE]

part of what made the AB's games great were how far apart and isolated they were, this is on because 26k might fill a stadium again this year, it has f**k all to do with pride, tradition, overcoming the odds, journey men against professionals, it is a sideshow from the AI's to see if they can get another few quid from the paying public midweek, if this was about tradition and overcoming great odds why are leinster connaught, ulster or even shannon not playing the aussies, il tell you, cause they aint got 26k fans.

JoeyFantastic
20th-October-2010, 16:07

it begs the question, HCUP and ML, autumn
internationals on top of that, whats the f**king point of a
game against australia on a tuesday night. its not going to
be the munster team or the australia team just a way of
filling a stadium on a tuesday night.

You'd be better off looking back at the All Blacks game
DVD and it would answer this for you. Alternatively try
looking back at Munster's history pre 1999. This is a huge
game. The AI games are the waste of time as*proven by
the sides our opposition often sendfarpart of
what made the AB's games great were how far apart and
isolated they were, this is on because 26k might fill a
stadium again this year, it has f**k all to do with pride,
tradition, overcoming the odds, journey men against
professionals,* it is a sideshow from the AI's to see if they
can get another few quid from the paying public midweek,
if this was about tradition and overcoming great odds why
are leinster connaught, ulster or even shannon not playing
the aussies, il tell you, cause they aint got 26k fans.
[/QUOTE]

Did Irish clubs ever play Internationals?

Munster have played Australia several times, iirc, we were
the first side to beat the Australian 1991 RWC winning side
in 1992?

Back before the pro game made International games the
be-all and end-all, the SH sides would frequently play
provincial sides when they toured the NH, iirc, Ulster (for
example) were the only side to beat the 1984 Grand Slam
winning Australian side.

If anything these games used to be more common.

lawrence
20th-October-2010, 16:34
maybe so, but all it is now is players in munster jerseys, and players in australian jerseys who are not the Munster or australia team playing for the purpose of extracting more cash from fans.
If you enjoy the spectacle good for you, i have to pick the games i can attend and would sooner make the away triip to the O's if i can afford the trip and the time off other than make limerick on a tuesday evening

I dont see the challenge or the ambition for either teams.

cynical as f**k i am today;.

Hugonaut
20th-October-2010, 16:44

in 1992?

winning Australian side.

Leinster also got butchered by the All Blacks in 1989 in Donnybrook, the first sighting of 'Inga the Winger' AKA Va'aiga Tuigamala on Irish soil. He put Fergus Dunlea [then Leinster and Ireland fullback] into a coma* with his first hit and made the famously effete Peter Purcell [a blondy, floppy-haired Lansdowne winger, in the greatest traditions of Leinster rugby] run into touch instead of taking a tackle.

One of the most memorable games of my childhood - games like these live a hell of a lot longer in the memory than 'Away to Newport/Gwent Dragons' in November. Big touring team under lights in the middle of the week? It's jumpers for goalposts stuff.

*Not really.

kerry_exile
20th-October-2010, 17:13

in 1992?

winning Australian side.

Leinster also got butchered by the All Blacks in 1989 in Donnybrook, the first sighting of 'Inga the Winger' AKA Va'aiga Tuigamala on Irish soil. He put Fergus Dunlea [then Leinster and Ireland fullback] into a coma* with his first hit and made the famously effete Peter Purcell [a blondy, floppy-haired Lansdowne winger, in the greatest traditions of Leinster rugby] run into touch instead of taking a tackle.

One of the most memorable games of my childhood - games like these live a hell of a lot longer in the memory than 'Away to Newport/Gwent Dragons' in November. Big touring team under lights in the middle of the week? It's jumpers for goalposts stuff.

*Not really.

Brilliant! Wasnt at that game but remember being told about it by someone...id say Inga was a scary sight for the amateurs...remember watching a game on espn classic a while back..Ireland in New Zealand in 1992? possibly..Tuigamala was swatting Irish backs away like flies!

JoeyFantastic
20th-October-2010, 17:14
maybe so, but all it is now is players in
munster jerseys, and players in australian jerseys who are
not the Munster or australia team playing for the purpose
of extracting more cash from fans.If you enjoy the
spectacle good for you, i have to pick the games i can
attend and would sooner make the away triip to the O's if i
can afford the trip and the time off other than make
limerick on a tuesday eveningI dont see the challenge or
the ambition for either teams.cynical as f**k i am today;.

Depends how you view it, all 30 odd players playing will
have a lot to play for, senior guys with Munster will want to
make the RWC squad, junior guys will want better contracts
and more gametime, the Australians will want to secure
RWC places etc. I'd be surprised if we end up seeing two
teams go through the motions.

These matches can throw up great games, even in the last
few years, us v. NZ and Leicester v. SA were great games
for a neutral as much as for a fan. Prefer that over another
turgid Ireland v. Argentina game.

Bosco
20th-October-2010, 17:23
try telling any of the 23 players that make the match day
squad that they are not the Munster team.

McCloud
20th-October-2010, 18:26

smileys/thumb-up.gif

lawrence
21st-October-2010, 05:45

smileys/thumb-up.gif

tell half of them that they are not in it the following sunday, barring injury.

I will never see the benefit of this game against the risk of adding more injuried players to the treatment tables. Would you mark it a success if someone like dougie were to be injured and out for 4-6 weeks?

There are games every week, and now there are games even when there are internationals, no need for a midweek exploit also.
but thats just me

McCloud
21st-October-2010, 05:55

smileys/thumb-up.gif

I will never see the benefit of this game against the risk of adding more injuried players to the treatment tables. Would you mark it a success if someone like dougie were to be injured and out for 4-6 weeks?

There are games every week, and now there are games even when there are internationals, no need for a midweek exploit also.
but thats just me

As we can see with the bad news that Marcus is out for 6 weeks due to an injury picked up in training injury can happen at any time.That is one of the risks in a physical sport. Me tbh I'm looking forward more to the mid week game then the AI's. Sick of watching Ire v AB's, SA and Argentina.

Buceph
21st-October-2010, 07:39

smileys/thumb-up.gif

but thats just me

As we can see with the bad news that Marcus is out for 6 weeks due to an injury picked up in training injury can happen at any time.That is one of the risks in a physical sport. Me tbh I'm looking forward more to the mid week game then the AI's. Sick of watching Ire v AB's, SA and Argentina.

Too right, my mother was at the last NZ match and she came back glowing from it. I'd have given my big toe to have been there. It's a night about pure rugby, a touring side versus a home side where they both have nothing at stake but their pride. The fact that it's the less established players just means that they break their arses to put a good effort in. It might be hard to get your head in gear for another Magner's League match, but there's something special about a club playing an international side. Neither team has a reason to care about it, but they just do. It's pure ambition, with no tactics and strategies for a season long game, or worries about losing bonus points or try counts. They just want to win because it's been put to them.

sewa
21st-October-2010, 08:55
The O's versus Oz was a cracker. Cardiff have never lost to Oz. Llanelli and Neath managed a few famous scalps too,. Its part of the history of the game

ArabianBrush
25th-October-2010, 17:11
Horan
FLA
Borlase
Poc
Doc
Ronan
Williams
halvey
OLeary
Cusack
Zebo
Mafi
Sam
Dowling
Deasy

Reckon that will be the team for Friday. A good mix of old,
very old and very new.
smileys/lol.gif smileys/lol.gif

McCloud
27th-October-2010, 12:12
irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Wednesday, October 27, 2010, 14:59

Munster delay naming squad

Rugby: The Munster management has delayed naming the squad to face Ulster in the Magners League on Friday until tomorrow, because the province is without <S&#079;NG>21</S&#079;NG> players for the Ravenhill match.

Tony McGahan was expected to reveal his matchday squad today but a press statement this afternoon said the attendance at training in University of Limerick was “very threadbare”.

The majority of those missing make up a 10-strong injury list, while two (Lifeimi Mafi and Sam Tuitupou) are suspended and nine remain on international duty with Ireland.

Prop John Hayes, scrumhalf Peter Stringer and wing Johne Murphy have, however, been released from the Irish camp for the weekend and team manager Shaun Payne is confident the table-toppers will have enough to work with come Friday.

"I've said all along that this season we've perhaps our strongest squad,” he said today, “and I certainly think that the side that we select for Friday will reflect that."

Should Stringer start, and the indications are that he will, the Ireland veteran will become only the third player to win 200 competitive caps for his province.

sewa
27th-October-2010, 12:18
Payne andDutchy to start I reckon

99_oK?
27th-October-2010, 12:34
A bit weak/inexperienced at lock, same for the centres, otherwise not too bad considering. A lot of old heads there to keep the eyes on the ball so to speak.

While a win would be brilliant, we've got to look at reality and personally I'd be happy enough to garner a losing BP. We don't win that often up there either. It's a ground many a good team find difficult to conquer, and evening games seem to be even more difficult to win there.

On injuries: Anyone know what's the story with Barry Murphy? And when is Paulie likely to be tested/played (I know he's now training)?

McCloud
27th-October-2010, 12:39
A bit weak/inexperienced at lock, same for the centres, otherwise not too bad considering. A lot of old heads there to keep the eyes on the ball so to speak.

While a win would be brilliant, we've got to look at reality and personally I'd be happy enough to garner a losing BP. We don't win that often up there either. It's a ground many a good team find difficult to conquer, and evening games seem to be even more difficult to win there.

On injuries: Anyone know what's the story with Barry Murphy? And when is Paulie likely to be tested/played (I know he's now training)?

Barry M played for Bohs last weekend.

Piggybui
27th-October-2010, 13:20

Holland is a very solid player and Nagle is a fine prospect.I would not be worried if that was the 2nd row partnership.

Of course you could have any sort of change from what I think will play.You could see Deasy to Centre and Hurley to Full back with Jone to wing,could see Jone to full back and Deasy to centre,could Be deasy at 10 with Warwick full back.. could see Barry start in centre.. so many choices...
Jones? Is he not out for a few more months?

McCloud
27th-October-2010, 13:26
I think he means Johne Murphy.

Tobyglen
27th-October-2010, 13:42
Reckon it will be along the lines of this.

Wian

Sherry

Hayes

Holland

Nagle

Quinlan

Ronan

Coughlan

Stringer

Warwick

Hurley

Dineen

Murphy J

Howlett

Deasy

sub: Williams, Murphy B, O'Mahony , Butler, Archer, Henry, Hurley Dar,

That would seem like the best available team to pick at the moment butI would haveDave Ryan is ahead of Archer for a spot on the bench, don't rate Archer's scrummaging.

Gleeson seems to have gone off the radar after a pomising finish to the season.

Allez Les Rouges
27th-October-2010, 15:21
Lazarus is usually spot on with the team selection. I take it that it is Barry O'Mahony that is on the bench (and not Peter O Mahony)? This would give three backs amongst the replacements.

Given the injuries and the unavailability of players I think this is the best team available. Could Foley be named instead of Nagle in the second row? He has been captain of the A side this year afaik . Nagle would have somewhat more experience at Magners level.

It would be good for Sherry to get a start as we may well be relying on him as cver for the Ospreys back to back matches in December unless Fla gets a full recovery after his unfortunate injuries and "false dawn" comebacks. He has come from nowhere in the last six months!

Cathal
27th-October-2010, 15:38
Ronan O'Mahony?

The Lion King
27th-October-2010, 15:46
no i say he means peter o mahony. I think he should start this weekend, we know what coughlan do and maybe quinny should be given a rest.

Colliniho
27th-October-2010, 16:00
Gleeson is injured as is Dave
Ryan

there are pictures of Ryan and Gleeson taking part in what
looks like full contact training on the deadsite today. I know
Ryan went off injured in the A game in Waterford though (has
he played for dolphin since?) and there is no confirmation that
either of them will start against Ulster.

RedFanNo1
27th-October-2010, 17:16
Ryan

Ryan played last Saturday for Dolphin against Garyowen

LLCOOLJ14
28th-October-2010, 07:21
Ryan

Ryan played last Saturday for Dolphin against Garyowen

HE didnt do that much either!

McCloud
28th-October-2010, 07:29
Munster comeback on cards for Murphy
By Ian Bransfield

Thursday October 28 2010

Munster centre Barry Murphy could be in line to make his first senior appearance for over a year as Tony McGahan shuffles his threadbare squad for tomorrow's Magners League clash against Ulster.

The 27-year-old Limerick man has been plagued by a succession of injuries over the course of the past 12 months but is back in the mix, having come through unscathed in the AIL last weekend. Murphy was on the mark for UL Bohemians in their league match against Lansdowne on Saturday and now comes into contention ahead of tomorrow's trip to Ravenhill.

"It's a positive that Barry is back in the mix," said team manager Shaun Payne yesterday. "Fingers crossed for him. Last season was obviously a disaster for Barry in terms of availability.

"The problem for him now is that he has missed the vast majority of pre-season training as well, so we don't want to be pushing things too early, but he is available for selection.

"We've had to see what the best tactic for Barry would be, would it be to come back into the starting squad or to get some extra game time. But there is a little bit of extra pressure on our resources at the minute, and all our decisions are tainted by that."

The exigency that Payne touched on refers to the unavailability of 21 senior players this weekend, leaving them with just 16 full-time professionals to choose from. Ten players are indisposed through injury, nine because of international commitments and a further two are still serving suspensions.

Illness is also prevalent in the camp this week, meaning that a match-day squad will not be finalised until 12 hours before kick-off.

In the absence of any other available options, Munster will call up six development players plus one academy member to supplement their match-day panel.

"The numbers aren't good for us," admitted Payne. "The resources of our squad will be stretched to the absolute limits. We'll be dipping a bit lower down the ranks but it is a challenging week considering how many players are being kept back by national management, plus our current injury scenario."

Munster will at least be able to call upon the combined services of Johne Murphy, John Hayes and Peter Stringer, who were all made available by national management.

bargaining

Asked whether it was difficult to secure their release, Payne answered: "No, we get told who is released to us. It's not a bargaining situation."

In the case of Stringer, it seems certain that the Cork-born scrum-half will make his 200th appearance in red this weekend, a notable achievement made all the more remarkable given that he made his debut against Ulster 12 years ago, and also notched up his 100th cap against the same opposition five seasons ago.

"It's a very, very good achievement," said Payne. "Obviously, Axel (Anthony Foley) was the first to get there, and Quinny (Alan Quinlan) recently did it too. Strings has always been a little fella but he's also been very resilient, very determined in training.

"He's kept his chin up during what must have been a tough time when it comes to selection, having been at the top and then having to deal with Tomas (O'Leary) and other guys on the Irish team.

"But he's played very well over the last couple of weeks and put himself right back into contention again on a national level as well."

Elsewhere, there were no further fitness updates on either Keith Earls or Jerry Flannery, who are both being monitored day by day. However, there was good news for the province in the shape of Paul O'Connell, who took part in some training yesterday in Limerick.

- Ian Bransfield

Irish Independent