PDA

View Full Version : ROG’s latest interview...

LLCOOLJ14
12th-August-2010, 06:44
plenty of honesty as always....

<H1>O’Gara keen to win back Ireland place</H1>

12/08/2010
CAST an eye over the Irish rugby scene and consider those you believe to have the most competitive streak. We tend to go foremost to Brian O’Driscoll or Paul O’Connell, but, among all the above, what of Ronan O’Gara? Name me another who is targeted so much, knocked down so often, yet bounces back every single time. Name me another athlete who, in the course of his/her career, has been knocked back so often yet keeps coming back for more.

True grit behind a smooth veneer, steely mental toughness behind an angelic grin, ferociously combative and competitive streak in the kind of physique that isn’t designed naturally to cope with such a ferociously combative and competitive sport – that’s the real Ronan O’Gara.

“I’ve met a lot of challenges but I’ve yet to see a fella better me, and I suppose that’s the definition of competitiveness, isn’t it? I have had setbacks but I’ll get up, dust myself off, face the challenge again.”

No question, ever, of perhaps taking himself out of the line of fire to save himself for his other out-half duties, the duties that make him such a pivotal figure in Munster red and in Ireland green.

“That thought never even enters my head. I’m a big believer in playing for the team. There are guys there who have only their own interests at heart, but these fellas don’t last. You look at people who know their rugby and they can identify those people – it’s not for me to name them. The greatest players are the team players.”

Now though, as he enters his 14th season with Munster, perhaps it’s time to have a little talk with himself.

“I might have to get a little bit smarter, talk to my Dad, whose opinion I value most. It’s a case of not promoting yourself for the tackle either; you’ve got to make the tackles when they’re in your channel but don’t run forty yards to get hit. But, when you take to the pitch and you have a driven streak in you, you become obsessed, you want to try and do everything. The times I’m playing my best is when I pull back a little, play a bit cuter, but that only happens maybe once in five games.”

That steel was hardened by a seminal game early in his Munster career.

“The Heineken Cup final loss to Northampton in 2000; after that game, I developed serious mental resolve – I got ten years of education in 72 hours. The build-up was wrong, we were emotionally drained on the Friday night before the game, where we needed to be emotionally drained on the Saturday night, after the game. That was probably the easiest final to win, but you have to ask the question – where would the Munster machine be now if we had gone home with a winning programme that day, as opposed to what happened?

“That’s what created the bond between this team and the supporters, and we’ve seen that grow and grow, 26,000 supporters now in Thomond Park for every Heineken Cup game, huge crowds also for the Magners League.”

The league and cup campaigns are only just around the corner and O’Gara is counting down the days.

“At this stage I’ve decided in my head that I have only two years left at the top. I’ve been extremely lucky with injuries, the body is fine. In terms of emotion, ambition, being driven, that has never been an issue for me.

“I’m looking forward to this season. Last season was disappointing, losing the last game to Biarritz (Heineken Cup semi-final), and the situation with Ireland now, where I seem to have lost my place – that’s something I’m really looking forward to working on this season.”

Still working, still learning, even at 33?

“You’re always learning, you’re always trying to work on your deficiencies and always trying to make things easier for yourself on the field. You’re looking for that bit of improvement, and sometimes there aren’t enough hours in the day. I think about the game a lot, I enjoy the planning involved

rathbaner
12th-August-2010, 07:54
Good to see ROG firing from the lip again.

He's upped the bar for himself again, made his season's target public and now the pressure is on him to meet it - pressure he has put on himself.

No one would be surprised to see his performances fade at 33, but he doesn't intend to let it slip by the look of things.

jeepers
12th-August-2010, 07:57
Here is another interview .... from Limerick Post

---

"There is no better feeling than playing for Munster" - Ronan O'Gara</span><br style="font-weight: bold;">
Written by Donn O'Sullivan

Thursday, 12 August 2010 09:09

RONAN O Gara might be capped 99 times for his country and he may also be Irish rugby's leading point scorer, but there is nothing like wearing the red of Munster for the 33-year-old out half.

"Sometimes there is more pressure as you are playing for the people of Munster and Cork. It is something that is close to me and very important to me.
It is up to you how much you leave the pressure affect you. I enjoy my rugby which is the important thing for me. Sometimes you can worry too much about games and that can be a struggle. You have to find a balance in life and in rugby. There is no better feeling that playing for Munster."

The Cork native is heading off to La Manga this week with his Munster colleagues after a tough week of training ahead of a much anticipated new season.
"I am really looking forward to it. It is a big season for a lot of us. We are disappointed the way the Biarritz game went. I think we had a lot of injuries too you know. That is not an excuse, but I think even for 45 minutes of the Leinster game we played good rugby. However we seemed to be losing games we should have been winning, so that is something we will have to look at for this season and to address it. There is a great management team there and a great set of players too, so we just need to come back this season and reinvigorate ourselves".

The disappointment of last season still angers O Gara who feels that the experienced Munster squad should have been able to close out those big games.
"If you look at it we had four injuries in the pack and that is really the main focus in modern rugby. Set piece, line out and scrum are so important. We struggled a small bit in the scrum in those big games and as a result everything else is slower you know. We didn't have any real dynamism then and as you know, it's all about small margins in this game. I think we are capable of coming back, but we will need young players coming through and we need the middle tier players in the squad looking to get the jersey full time. Competition for places will be key."

Indeed Munster are a different animal since last time O Gara wore red. New signings and new academy recruits means that there is a new feel about the squad once more. Something that Ronan hopes will drive the squad on.

"I am positive about the squad. We would be aware of some people saying we are aging and that we are over the hill. There may be a small piece of that but if depends more on conditioning and self motivation than anything. If players are not up for it and responsible for their own want, then those players should not be involved at this level. It is so important for me to help the younger lads coming through. In terms of young players, Scott Deasy and Declan Cusack are willing to learn. That is good to see. Some younger lads are not too interested in learning, but these lads are and they are great talents. It is something I have learned over my career. Listening to lads who have done it all is key. That is why they have done it all, because they knew what they were going through as they went along."

With O Gara now in his 34th year, experience is something he can pass on. A lesson he learned from the biggest influence on his own career, his father Fergal.
"My Dad was just realistic. There was obviously an emotional bond there, but he always talked sense and you need that. It was better than thinking that 'my Johnny is brilliant' you know. There were other times when he told me to knuckle down and get the finger out too you know and that helped immensely."

Ronan now has his own son, JJ, to pass on life's experiences to. The new arrival is sure to see plenty of his sporting Dad though.

"It is real life you know. The most important things

Red October
12th-August-2010, 07:59
With all due respect - and there's a hell of a lot of it due to the
man - he needs to let his onfield performances for us warrant
any further higher honours.

There's no more than a season or so left in him and if
Warwick's game management or placekicking is found
wanting, then off the bench to be the saviour/hero of the hour
is just fine and dandy for ROG methinks.

Warwick needs serious starting gametime at ten this season.

kooga made for rugby
12th-August-2010, 08:00
sounds hungry which is great, roll on the tigers next friday night!

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 08:21
sounds hungry which is great, roll on the tigers next friday night!

Friday week.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 08:25
Wouldn't expect to see O Gara against the Tigers or am I wrong?

LLCOOLJ14
12th-August-2010, 08:38
Wouldn't expect to see O Gara against the Tigers or am I wrong?

non of the guys who toured with Ireland will be playing anytime soon...expect plenty of academy/squad guys to get a run...

kooga made for rugby
12th-August-2010, 09:02
roll on the Tigers friday week.

looking forward to the new season !

Red October
12th-August-2010, 10:00
Warwick is nowhere near good enough
at 10.

I suspect you may be right Lazarus; his game
management/tactical appreciation leaves me a bit
underwhelmed, but we need options and as far as I can
make out, he's it. It's time we did more than roll ROG out
once he's proven he can stand on one leg. Plus the 'new'
interpretations would tend to play to his strengths rather
than to ROGs. Much depends on how the hell the NH refs
see things/are told to view things this season.

If not Warwick, then we need to be grooming or recruiting
a serious option.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 10:00
With all due respect - and there's a hell of a lot of it due to the
man - he needs to let his onfield performances for us warrant
any further higher honours.

There's no more than a season or so left in him and if
Warwick's game management or placekicking is found
wanting, then off the bench to be the saviour/hero of the hour
is just fine and dandy for ROG methinks.

Warwick needs serious starting gametime at ten this season.

Would have agreed with you last season but Warwick has not played there for so long it's hard to see him pressurising O Gara this season.

Tobyglen
12th-August-2010, 10:49
Time he backed up all that talking he does, dreadful last season and his laziness in the Magners league set the tone. I hope Warwick gets game time at 10.

mac22
12th-August-2010, 10:49
Are the bulk of the lads available for the tigers ?

rathbaner
12th-August-2010, 10:57
Much depends on how the hell the NH refs

see things/are told to view things this season.

That is soooo true!
It's more important as the players now, that's how crazy the reffing situation is these days. I used to be able to explain reffing decisions to fellow pub fans but not anymore. Munster had 17 yellows in the ML last season and one red. Way worse than anyone else and only a couple of seasons after we won the fair play thing - IIRC.

And there's no sign of the IRB getting to grips with it. Are they just try to change the game by stealth? Deliberately ignoring some laws and enforcing others rigidly?

John123
12th-August-2010, 10:57
I completely agree Toby. Copy and paste bulls**t from ROG as per usual. He never ran 40 yards to make a tackle in his life! Though I have seen guys run 40 yards in order to be tackled BY ROG several times.

ROG has been a superb player for Munster but I detest these crap interviews he does.

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 10:58
Are the bulk of the lads available for the tigers ?

Anyone who was on the tour to the SH will not be available.

LLCOOLJ14
12th-August-2010, 11:11
I completely agree Toby. Copy and paste bulls**t from ROG as per usual. He never ran 40 yards to make a tackle in his life! Though I have seen guys run 40 yards in order to be tackled BY ROG several times.

ROG has been a superb player for Munster but I detest these crap interviews he does.

your 1st post/topic on this forum told us all we need to know when it comes to your Rog opinions. At least your consistent I guess.smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif

jeepers
12th-August-2010, 11:16

I vividly remember ROG outpacing James Hook in a race to prevent a try in, smileys/shock.gif, a Magners League game ... you know the games where ROG couldn't be bothered playing in. smileys/wink.gif

Raging Bullock
12th-August-2010, 12:17
ROG talks the talk alright. but he's not walking the walk the last couple of years by a long long way. Warwick is not the answer either. In fact i fully expect Felix Jones to oust Warwick as first choice FB this year if he can stay fit. Not much depth at 10 or 15 really in Munster. Very worrying.

kahalui
12th-August-2010, 12:20
If i were him, id keep my mouth shut and let myrugby do the talking.. especially considering his overall performances from last season.

jeepers
12th-August-2010, 12:27
If i were him, id keep my mouth shut and let myrugby do the talking.. especially considering his overall performances from last season.

I think its part of his contract to do a bit of talking when Munster are launching a jersey. Think he was probably still on his holidays when he was dragged in for that.

At the bottom of the article.
<s&#111;ng>The adidas and Munster Rugby 2010/11 alternative kit is
now available to buy online @ www.munsterrugbystore.com and instore from
all leading sports retailers nationwide from today, Thursday 12
August. Pictured in the new kit is Munster’s Ronan O’Gara; the black
and green kit will be worn on pitch for the first time against Leicester
Tigers on Friday 20 August in Musgrave Park. RRP €57. </s&#111;ng>

12th-August-2010, 12:32
Part of me does tend to go "oh no, what's he said now"
every time I see a heading like ROG's latest interview. But
invariably he hasn't said anything that bad and this is the
same. He's not saying I'm still great and was great last
year. He's talking about how he's going to have to change
his approach and up his game. Fair enough really - the
problem is how many struggle to see that a 33/34 year old
isn't ever again going to perform consistently to the level
he did 5 years ago.

I also don't think it's entirely about ROG being a media
whore, I think it suits a lot of people to send him off to talk
because the media know he'll give a good story, Munster
know he'll be happy to do it and it means that others, who
they'd like to keep away from the media a bit more, get
left alone.

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 12:32
Bit of a catch 22 situation here.

On the one hand you have supporters complaining that the players are not available to supporters or have nothing to say.

Then if a player does actually do an interview which goes beyond the general platitudes of "yeah looking forward to the start of the season, Munster will be targetting winning the ML &amp; HC this season, blah blah"

They get in the neck for not doing their talking on the pitch or leaving hostages to fortune....

buck65
12th-August-2010, 12:38
No problem with anything he said in that interview but he really is asking too much of himself to oust Sexton, barring injury that battle is lost. Would love to see another no.10 this season in some of the ML games be it Warwick or Cusack with O Gara coming on later. Otherwise we will be in trouble later in the season.

12th-August-2010, 12:55
No problem with anything he said in
that interview but he really is asking too much of himself to
oust Sexton, barring injury that battle is lost. Would love to
see another no.10 this season in some of the ML games be
it Warwick or Cusack with O Gara coming on later.
Otherwise we will be in trouble later in the season.

If Sexton could be consistent with his goal kicking I'd agree
but since he's yet to show that and since there's still
(ridiculously) feck all else from an Ireland perspective I'd
say he's a serious chance of playing another 2 years of
internationals. Sadly it's probably an indictment of the lack
of development that a 34(ish) year old with physical
weakness and a guy with consistency issues are the sole 2
options.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 12:59
Sexton will get there though. The games against Australia / Maoris was more like it from him

busbi
12th-August-2010, 14:50
Warwick is nowhere near good enough at 10.

Does that suggest that ROG on current form is? I'd like to see Warwick
at 10 tried for the start of the season. I know it's an old argument now,
but ROG's poor tackling, lake of running threat, tendency to run into
contact, and tendency to lose the ball in contact are getting to be bigger
and bigger weaknesses the more powerful teams in the HEC are
becoming.

Tobyglen
12th-August-2010, 15:57

becoming.

And Warwicks wayward head in the clouds dinks a la Dom Crotty,or the sideways runs across his backline that have cost us penalties and tries in recent times are not liablilities. Warwick is not a 10,Sure he may be fine in broken play behind a winning pack, but he is nowhere near ROG when behind a beaten pack, ROG can pull those kicks that need to turn defence into attack or a safe position,Warwick cannot.
I disagree Laz, if Warwick got a sustained number of games at 10 I think he would do an excellent job, he's an excellent kicker out of hand and if he got a run of games with the first team at 10 then he would oust ROG.
Also people are quick to forget his performance against AB's that night, played superbly. ROG's performances last year were atrocious and we can't go on playing guys because of their reputation. Playing the old guard has been found out, nothing will be gained playing ROG at 10 next season if he doesn't lift his form considerably.

overthehillprop
12th-August-2010, 17:10

becoming.

And Warwicks wayward head in the clouds dinks a la Dom Crotty,or the sideways runs across his backline that have cost us penalties and tries in recent times are not liablilities. Warwick is not a 10,Sure he may be fine in broken play behind a winning pack, but he is nowhere near ROG when behind a beaten pack, ROG can pull those kicks that need to turn defence into attack or a safe position,Warwick cannot.
I disagree Laz, if Warwick got a sustained number of games at 10 I think he would do an excellent job, he's an excellent kicker out of hand and if he got a run of games with the first team at 10 then he would oust ROG.
Also people are quick to forget his performance against AB's that night, played superbly. ROG's performances last year were atrocious and we can't go on playing guys because of their reputation. Playing the old guard has been found out, nothing will be gained playing ROG at 10 next season if he doesn't lift his form considerably.

and do you remember what happened with the last play of the game in the AB's game?

Warwicks game management let him down badly.

John123
12th-August-2010, 18:37

becoming.

and do you remember what happened with the last play of the game in the AB's game?

Warwicks game management let him down badly.

Oh FFS!

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 20:50

becoming.

So you take one game against the AB's seconds as your measuring stick. ROG last season had an up and down season, true. But he had more better games then one. Not seen anything from Warwick that would suggest he should be the starting 10 for Munster.

Quailman
12th-August-2010, 20:58
And Warwicks wayward head in the clouds dinks a la Dom Crotty,or the sideways runs across his backline that have cost us penalties and tries in recent times are not liablilities. Warwick is not a 10,Sure he may be fine in broken play behind a winning pack, but he is nowhere near ROG when behind a beaten pack, ROG can pull those kicks that need to turn defence into attack or a safe position,Warwick cannot.</span>

Like he's done in the last 4 Leinster games?

When ROG is good, he is very good. But he has been incredibly inconsistent the last few years and his weaknesses are becoming even more exposed by a game where people are getting bigger and stronger (his lack of running threat means he can't take the ball to the line unless he has a great platform to work from against a disorganised defence).

That is not to say Warwick is the answer, but it is actually very close between the two of them. Also, while ROG sits on the sidelines till October, Warwick will have the 10 jersey, and with strong performances he would have every right to keep it.

Allez Les Rouges
12th-August-2010, 21:22
Warwick, when he got the opportunities last year to play outhalf in the Magners League in 2009/2010 didn't impress at all! Only performs when it is a "sevens type " game-- plenty of loose, open play. His best year was 2008/2009 when he scored some really good tries and some phenomenal drop goals from full back. especially in key HC games.

Still thinking of the "shocker" he had in HC semi-final in San Sebastian when his attempt to run out of defence gifted Biarritz the game. Not sure whether he was carrying an injury for a lot of last year as he never seemed to play that well and at moment I would see ROG as the man for No.10.

Some say (and at times I would agree) that rOG seemed disinterested in the Magners League. But Paul Warwick was not convincing either when he had the 10 jersey.

SFBB
12th-August-2010, 21:50
Warwick really isn't the man for the job.

We'll end up spending silly money and get Stephen Donald or
some other slightly average Kiwi.The money that will be
thrown at Carter and Giteau after the world cup is going to be
silly. We'll probably even see Cooper up here.

All of them playing for Toulon, if recent trends continue.

Tobyglen
13th-August-2010, 08:59

becoming.

So you take one game against the AB's seconds as your measuring stick. ROG last season had an up and down season, true. But he had more better games then one. Not seen anything from Warwick that would suggest he should be the starting 10 for Munster.
Warwick has all the skills to play at 10- He has never got a chance to play behind the full pack in the HEC, if ROG starts the season anything like how he played last year he should be dropped. We can't afford to be playing him on sentimantality.

Point
13th-August-2010, 09:58

becoming.

Warwick has all the skills to play at 10- He has never got a chance to play behind the full pack in the HEC, if ROG starts the season anything like how he played last year he should be dropped. We can't afford to be playing him on sentimantality.

I'd agree with that, however it appears there are several untouchables in the eyes of the coach.

ustix
13th-August-2010, 10:09

becoming.

I'd agree with that, however it appears there are several untouchables</span> in the eyes of the coach.
Rarely a good thingsmileys/sad.gif

Balla Boy
13th-August-2010, 10:48
The "everyone is getting bigger and stronger" thing is a bit of a myth, tbh. Was running drills with some players a week or so ago for an ESPN thing. Lamb, Danny Care, Phillips and Waldouck from Wasps, Jimmy Goperth from Falcons.

You wouldn't worry about running into any of them in a dark alley, to be honest. Tidy, trim, no doubt strong but really not very big at all. Half backs generally aren't. There's not much on Sexton, Lamb, Flood, Hodgson etc etc

Olivier Azam, on the other hand,blocks out the sun.

As to Warwick at 10, I'm not convinced. He's a great attacking full back in lots of space, but his decision making in tight situations isn't as good as ROG's. Nor is his game control with the boot, imo. The AB's game was probably the least structured game of rugby I've seen since the Tolouse/Leinster HEC QF.

kahalui
13th-August-2010, 12:00
As Quailman has pointed out, Warwick will get a few games at 10 while rog sits it out til October. The question remains, evenif he performs well (which he is well capable of doing),willmanagementhave the b***s to dropROG ?

Balla Boy
13th-August-2010, 12:11
So we're going to assume that ROG comes back in poor form, that Warwick demonstrates that he is an HEC fly half, that Jones demonstrates that he is a better FB option than Warwick and leap straight tomoaning aboutwhy the coaches won't drop O'Gara?

The negativity would be depressing if the neurotransmitters responsible for processing it hadn't already been burned out by this place.

Back into pre-season lay off for me, I think.

JoeyFantastic
13th-August-2010, 12:18

So we're going to assume that ROG comes back in poor
form, that Warwick demonstrates that he is an HEC fly half,
that Jones demonstrates that he is a better FB option than
Warwick and leap straight to*moaning about*why the
coaches won't drop O'Gara?

Yeah, too many unknowns, even before his injury, Jones
wasn't close to replacing Warwick at fullback, quite why
he'd do so straight away after returning from an injury that
we've no real idea how he's recovered from is extremely
optimistic. That being said, I don't like Warwick at either
fullback or outhalf because he doesn't have enough of the
basics each positions requires, his positioning is poor at 15,
his control is poor at 10 (imo).

Have we ever ground out a win with Warwick playing 10?

buck65
13th-August-2010, 12:29
Against Connacht in Galway last year Warwick though playing 12 slotted in to OH for long periods and controlled the game well I felt.

But we're probably all agreed a run of 3 games or so is the best thing to judge a guy.

JoeyFantastic
13th-August-2010, 12:34
Against Connacht in Galway last year
Warwick though playing 12 slotted in to OH for long periods
and controlled the game well I felt.

But we're probably all agreed a run of 3 games or so is the
best thing to judge a guy.

What calibre are Connacht though? It's more worrying that
Cusack (seemingly) couldn't control that game.

13th-August-2010, 12:35
I think for this coming season the selection policy looking
amazingly like it's led by the national set up will be even
more the case. Warwick isn't the long term solution but the
fact is ROG is now at a point where we have to be planning
at the very least someone for the next 2 years to share the
duties. Personally I'd rather we invested the time in
spending 2 seasons bring through a long term player or
players for the position. Having said that, there's also a lot
of questions to be raised also about what motivation (or
lack of) does knowing a player can't be dropped have on
the "understudy". I've no doubt Warwick is motivated to
play for Munster and motivated when he plays 10 but if
someone went to him and said 'do well and the place is
yours, it's a straight shoot out' then that extra motivation,
extra drive might or might not make a difference. I think
it's fair to see we haven't seen the best of some players in
the past where they knew they were just gap fillers.

kahalui
13th-August-2010, 12:36
So we're going to assume that ROG comes back in poor form, that Warwick demonstrates that he is an HEC fly half, that Jones demonstrates that he is a better FB option than Warwick and leap straight tomoaning aboutwhy the coaches won't drop O'Gara?

The negativity would be depressing if the neurotransmitters responsible for processing it hadn't already been burned out by this place.

Back into pre-season lay off for me, I think.

Relax.. nobodies assuming anything. The reason people arementioning warwick at FH is because rog was fairly gash last season.As far as i can see, some posters would go withwarwick at OH andothersprefer rog.Also, Jones, showed a lot of promise at FB in the few games he played for us last season..

SFBB
13th-August-2010, 19:15
Warwick is nowhere
near good enough at 10. Does that suggest that
ROG on current form is? I'd like to see Warwick at 10 tried
for the start of the season. I know it's an old argument
now, but ROG's poor tackling, lake of running threat,
tendency to run into contact, and tendency to lose the ball
in contact are getting to be bigger and bigger weaknesses
the more powerful teams in the HEC are
becoming.

And Warwicks wayward head in the clouds dinks a la
Dom Crotty,or the sideways runs across his backline that
have cost us penalties and tries in recent times are not
liablilities. Warwick is not a 10,Sure he may be fine in
broken play behind a winning pack, but he is nowhere near
ROG when behind a beaten pack, ROG can pull those kicks
that need to turn defence into attack or a safe
position,Warwick cannot.

I disagree Laz, if Warwick got a sustained
number of games at 10 I think he would do an excellent
job, he's an excellent kicker out of hand and if he got a run
of games with the first team at 10 then he would oust
ROG.Also people are quick to forget his performance
against AB's that night, played superbly. ROG's
performances last year were atrocious and we can't go on
playing guys because of their reputation. Playing the old
guard has been found out, nothing will be gained playing
ROG at 10 next season if he doesn't lift his form
considerably.

So you take one game against the AB's seconds as
your* measuring stick. ROG last season had an up and
down season, true. But he had more better games then
one. Not seen anything from Warwick that would suggest
he should be the starting 10 for Munster.
You have to remember that every one of those playings in
the AB second team were top class, proven S14 players.

Thats a team at the top of club rugby, and thats pretty
much what we would need Warwick playing at.

Mcork
14th-August-2010, 06:48
I think for this coming season the selection policy looking

amazingly like it's led by the national set up will be even

more the case. Warwick isn't the long term solution but the

fact is ROG is now at a point where we have to be planning

at the very least someone for the next 2 years to share the

duties. Personally I'd rather we invested the time in

spending 2 seasons bring through a long term player or

players for the position. Having said that, there's also a lot

of questions to be raised also about what motivation (or

lack of) does knowing a player can't be dropped have on

the "understudy". I've no doubt Warwick is motivated to

play for Munster and motivated when he plays 10 but if

someone went to him and said 'do well and the place is

yours, it's a straight shoot out' then that extra motivation,

extra drive might or might not make a difference. I think

it's fair to see we haven't seen the best of some players in

the past where they knew they were just gap fillers.

Very good point and particularly applicable to Irish rugby.

LeakyBoots
20th-October-2010, 13:35
Interview with Matt Cooper on the show today... talking about the year ahead apparently

Piggybui
20th-October-2010, 13:36
Interview with Matt Cooper on the show today... talking about the year ahead apparently
Now or with the sports after 6.30?

TheBlueMovie
20th-October-2010, 14:03
Whenever I see an O'Gara interview I expect either one of two things depending on how his season is going : Bitterness or Arrogance (The interview with himafter the Lions debacle contained both)

However O'Gara was suprisingly diplomatic in this interview and admitted that his game needs to change and improve. Fair play because not many players would have the balls to admit this.

LeakyBoots
20th-October-2010, 14:19
It'll be on at 6.30pm

sepico
20th-October-2010, 14:28
Whenever I see an O'Gara interview I expect either one of two things depending on how his season is going : Bitterness or Arrogance (The interview with himafter the Lions debacle contained both)

However O'Gara was suprisingly diplomatic in this interview and admitted that his game needs to change and improve. Fair play because not many players would have the balls to admit this.

yawn, every player admits this, its called evolving your game, i'll presume you will becreaming yourselfover every word this munster god will utter then along with the rest in the blue corner

JoeyFantastic
20th-October-2010, 22:11
ROG: refreshed, refocused, ravenous
By Simon Lewis
Thursday, October 21, 2010
RONAN O’GARA is relishing the prospect of fighting for his
place in the Ireland team, at the next World Cup and
beyond.

The Munster and Ireland fly-half, who could win his 100th
international cap if selected for the November 6 Test
against world champions South Africa, earned the bulk of
his appearances in a green jersey as the undisputed choice
at number 10.

The emergence of young Leinster out-half Johnny Sexton
saw a genuine rival emerge and the pair will battle it out
over the autumn international series and 2011 Six Nations
to gain the top spot in Declan Kidney’s line-up for the World
Cup campaign beginning next September 11.

Such was Sexton’s rise to prominence that as recently as
July, 33-year-old O’Gara was declaring that he would be
retiring in two years but a strong start to the season and
some influential input at both provincial and international
level over the past two months has prompted a rethink.

"I’ve a huge battle for the number 10 jersey but that’s the
way it is," O’Gara said as he helped launch a new
nutritional range of Lucozade Sports products. "All I can do
is control my performances and mental state and my own
game.

"I haven’t been as motivated as this in a long time. I had a
great pre-season, the season started really well and I’m
delighted with the consistency of the performance.

"I’m excited by the challenge of trying to get on the team
and doing well for Ireland, and that’s the key point. I’ve
always been a big believer that if the team is going well,
the out-half is going well and that’s exactly the case going
forward whether I start or come off the bench.

"It’s a great position. I haven’t felt like this in a long time
and I’m very excited about it, keen to do well and it’s going
to be fantastic because playing for your country is the
ultimate. I’ve always been very emotional about Munster
but with the big year that’s coming up for Ireland I can’t
wait to produce the goods for them."

Asked what had prompted the fresh enthusiasm, O’Gara
pointed to both Munster and Ireland camps.

"The words ringing in my ears from a pre-season meeting
from (Munster head coach) Tony McGahan, the one
sentence I took out of it was that he wants big players
having big seasons. That’s how I view myself and I’m
taking it game to game and enjoying it. Probably the fact
that maybe in previous interviews I said I might play for
another two seasons. I’ve kind of gone the other way
completely now. I feel that I can’t see myself stopping.
"I’m enjoying it, there’s good management at Munster and
there’s a really exciting time with Ireland ahead. Maybe a
year ago I was probably frustrated, on and off the team.
Now it’s all to play for, I feel, and I feel I can offer a lot."

Of his summer claims about retirement in two years,
O’Gara said: "That’s gone. I suppose with hindsight it was
an inaccurate way of thinking about it. Why would I put a
timeline on it? The minute you stop enjoying it, it’s time to
go or if you don’t feel you’re the best man to play, then
you go."

The Munster fly-half also said his renewed motivation had
been piqued last week at a meeting with the Ireland team
management – "about 10 players and coaching staff".

"It’s coming from within and possibly from management at
Irish level and Munster level.

"I’ve been impressed with the mentality of the Munster
squad and I’ve been impressed with one meeting with the
Irish management that was really exciting. It’s always good
to be a part

Waterfordlad
21st-October-2010, 16:40
Good honest interview

Mebawsa Ritchie
21st-October-2010, 18:47
I noticed he played a lot of last Saturday with a smile on his face.

A really good sign of someone enjoying their job.

tickettout
21st-October-2010, 18:55

as opposed to having a purple head.

Genuinely think his days as Irish no.1 are over.

Mebawsa Ritchie
21st-October-2010, 18:58
...Genuinely think his days as Irish no.1 are over.

You may well be right there.

He'll still be on/off the bench though. Not bad for a 33 y.o.

shep
21st-October-2010, 20:49
The one thing that I picked up with the Matt Cooper interview, was the amount of times he mentioned how he was enjoying playing for Munster. He said that if he wasnt getting a game for Ireland, it wasnt all bad, because this season, he feels that he is playing well for Munster and is enjoying it. Matt asked him , was he not enjoying playing for the past few years, and he replied that this year he was upping his game, because the Munster management asked the senior players to stand up and be counted. I must say, that I see him getting far more involved in tackles this year so far, and he seems to be pumped up and encouraging others around him also. At the London Irish game, it was he who was still going to the end and made Sams try.

Lets hope that this year is a HC final one in our favourite ground.

Buceph
21st-October-2010, 21:05

If they hold it in Muzzer the limerickites will complain about the atmosphere.

McCloud
21st-October-2010, 21:07

atmosphere in Muzzers whensmileys/shock.gif

Buceph
21st-October-2010, 21:12

atmosphere in Muzzers whensmileys/shock.gif

Shaun Paynes superman impression a few years back. The place was buzzing for a minute or two after that.

Piggybui
22nd-October-2010, 05:17

as opposed to having a purple head.

Genuinely think his days as Irish no.1 are over.

Props hav previously played well into their 30's though. Can't say I ever saw him play L/H though.

DonL
22nd-October-2010, 06:15
The one thing that I picked up with the
Matt Cooper interview, was the amount of times he
mentioned how he was enjoying playing for Munster. He
said that if he wasnt getting a game for Ireland, it wasnt all
bad, because this season, he feels that he is playing well
for Munster and is enjoying it. Matt asked him , was he not
enjoying playing for the past few years, and he replied that
this year he was upping his game, because the Munster
management asked the senior players to stand up and be
counted. I must say, that I see him getting far more
involved in tackles this year so far, and he seems to be
pumped up and encouraging others around him also. At the
London Irish game, it was he who was still going to the end
and made Sams try.

Lets hope that this year is a HC final one in our favourite
ground.

Very true. In fact he actually brushed off a few tackles in
the Toulon game, something I thought I would never see
ROG do!

John123
22nd-October-2010, 06:38
First things first, ROG has been excellent so far this season. BUT I've never really enjoyed reading or watching his interviews. In fairness this one is pretty low key compared to his usual hyperbole crap.

Cowboy
22nd-October-2010, 06:44
Lets
hope that this year is a HC final one in our favourite ground.
If they hold it in Muzzer the limerickites will complain
about the atmosphere.

atmosphere in Muzzers whensmileys/shock.gifShaun
Paynes superman impression a few years back. The place was
buzzing for a minute or two after that.

And Keith's chip up to himself against (newport?)

buck65
22nd-October-2010, 08:18
Surely he will get the nod against South Africa?

100th cap and all. Hard to see Kidney bringing him on with 20 to go to win his 100th cap.

Upfront_1979
22nd-October-2010, 08:38

100th cap and all. Hard to see Kidney bringing him on with 20 to go to win his 100th cap.

so we pick teams based on sentimentality now? His 100th cap has been pending for a while now

jeepers
22nd-October-2010, 09:01

100th cap and all. Hard to see Kidney bringing him on
with 20 to go to win his 100th cap.

so we pick teams based on sentimentality now? His
100th cap has been pending for a while now

There was only one game against Australia since he got
his 99th (where he was an unused sub), so his 100th cap
hasn't been pending for a while.

You expecting Sexton to start all 4 AIs then? If, as you
suggest, O'Gara should not get a game, why is he in the
squad in the first place?

busbi
22nd-October-2010, 09:32
Since his first game this season i thought he looked to be carrying himself much better than previously, hopefully a sign of that good preseason he was talking about. You could clearly sense that he was off his game last year, particularly in his ML appearances where he looked like it was the last place on earth he wanted to be.

Sexton is ahead for Ireland, but it's good to have two OH's looking so good and having different things to offer, allows us a horses for courses approach.

LLCOOLJ14
4th-February-2011, 06:42
Honest as always....and a nice dig at the "pundits"!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=rugby&amp;e=examiner&amp (http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=rugby&amp;e=examiner&amp;jp=kfeyeykfidcw) ;jp=kfeyeykfidcw

Say what you want about Rog...But an hour in the company of the out-half is never dull, always stimulating. Ahead of the Six Nations, Ronan O’Gara met Michael Moynihan

A WORD OF advice. If you see Ronan O’Gara on the street in the next few days, don’t commiserate because Munster aren’t in the Heineken Cup. Don’t say thanks for the memories.

You mean well, but it sets the out-half’s teeth on edge.

“Certain things make certain fellas tick,” says O’Gara. “What drives certain players is fascinating, but a few people have said it to me — on the street, in the bank — things like, ‘ah, ye’ve given us great pleasure’. And that makes me stop and count to five.

“They’re being nice, they don’t mean it as a negative, but the ‘thanks for the memories, ye’ve been great’ — it gives me motivation. Some people would crumble, but you’re no good to the team if you do that. I just have to be patient and hope to have a chance of addressing that.”

So here we are at the Six Nations. Yet comfort isn’t obvious here, either. Take the contract uncertainty that was hanging over the likes of Jamie Heaslip and Johnny Sexton for a while.

“It’s not really commented on — it’s an individual thing. There’s a good phrase: it’s not what you’re worth, it’s what you negotiate. Fellas have to look after themselves and I can only speak for myself. I’ve had very few contracts — a deal or two starting off, a four-year deal, a three-year deal and a couple of two-year deals.

“But the goal for us was always to play for Ireland, and the best way to do that was to play for Munster. Nowadays maybe some fellas have a decision to make — to make money or to play for Ireland, maybe — but I’d have had the old-school thing, play for the club, for Munster, for Ireland.”

Well, you mentioned the old school. Does that explain the lack of interest in Twitter?

“No, I’ve no interest in that,” laughs O’Gara. “I could understand it if it was financially worth it,” — laughs again — “but the toys for boys stimulate a lot of the lads anyway. I’d be a paper and pen man; I’ve a day-a-page diary and a mobile phone. That’s me. If I’ve an option of texting or ringing a fella, I ring.

“Is it a generational thing? Probably. I’d see very little privacy in it but some fellas don’t mind that. It’s like Facebook and so on — they don’t appeal to me.”

The generational thing means O’Gara is in the veteran class now. Is he conscious of that?

“You would be. It’s been a hugely disappointing year in terms of results for Munster, for instance, but I’ve taken a lot of pride in my personal performances. I think you have to have your own personal standards and if you seek to achieve those you’re in a good place.

“Munster has always been good to me, making my game shine, but we’ve probably struggled in areas this year. There’ll probably be a price paid for that in terms of Irish selection, but I’ll fight tooth and nail for a starting position.

“If I got to a stage where I’d be happy sitting on the bench, I’d walk away.”

THERE’S someone in the way, of course. Johnny Sexton has been starting games for Ireland instead of O’Gara, and the two haven’t hidden their antipathy in Munster-Leinster encounters.

“There’s competition and you could understand it if you played yourself off the team, but in fairness to Johnny, he played himself onto the team. I didn’t feel I played myself off the team but the thing is I’m not being a bitter and twisted old fella. I’ve seen plenty of former team-mates become delusional about performances towards the end, players who can’t believe they’re not being picked.

“When that day comes for me someone won’t need to tap me on the shoulder and get me out of there

Bitter As A Lemon
4th-February-2011, 06:58
Nice article that...

Cervidave
4th-February-2011, 07:35
Loving it, no one does an interview quite like ROG.

smileys/thumb-up.gif

deadlyBuzz
4th-February-2011, 07:42
Nice article that...
+1

“People watch the game, they give their opinion, and you wouldn’t want to beat yourself up over it, but the media is just so powerful, particularly for people without opinions.”

Really?

“It is. If there’s a game on a Saturday a guy watches it, watches the analysis, has some grub and heads out to meet his pals and chat about the game. He’ll start in with ‘this is my opinion’, but who’s put it in his head? He got it from the coverage he’s watching all afternoon.

I can see how this site can also affect peoples opinions, I've often found myself arguing a point made by Tobyglenn or Point though I personally don't neccessarily agree with either. If you can keep your wits about you with what you see yourself and what others are saying it's educational, otherwise it's destructional.

I Love this site! smileys/thumb-up.gif

desert man
4th-February-2011, 07:53
Nice article that...
+1

“People watch the game, they give their opinion, and you wouldn’t want to beat yourself up over it, but the media is just so powerful, particularly for people without opinions.”

Really?

“It is. If there’s a game on a Saturday a guy watches it, watches the analysis, has some grub and heads out to meet his pals and chat about the game. He’ll start in with ‘this is my opinion’, but who’s put it in his head? He got it from the coverage he’s watching all afternoon.

I can see how this site can also affect peoples opinions, <S&#079;NG>I've often found myself arguing a point made by Tobyglenn or Point</S&#079;NG> though I personally don't neccessarily agree with either. If you can keep your wits about you with what you see yourself and what others are saying it's educational, otherwise it's destructional.

I Love this site! smileys/thumb-up.gif

First mistake there. smileys/wink.gif

Waterfordlad
4th-February-2011, 09:11
In fairness to ROG his honesty always comes true - he doesn't just trot out the party line