PDA

View Full Version : Thomond Parks heritage is not for sale

treatycity1
12th-August-2010, 03:25
maybe this should be in the forum started before TP opened but I can not find it. And I'm too lazy to look for it
However when I read articles like this I really wonder at the timing of them. To me this announcment by John Cantwell is a bit like the beleagured football manager having the confidence of the board in them announced to the press just days before they stick the knife in.
In all probability I am completely wrong (again), but I'm too much of an auld cynic to believe anything from the mouths of officials.

Thomond Park’s name is not for sale

By Jimmy Woulfe Mid-West Correspondent

Thursday, August 12, 2010

IT’S the spiritual home of Munster rugby and although much has changed at Thomond Park, the name will remain the same.

As management draws up plans to maximise the stadium’s commercial potential, plans to auction naming rights have been shelved.

Thomond Park manager John Cantwell said the name is so strong, it cannot be valued in euro.

A proposal to sell the naming rights when the €40m redevelopment of the ground opened two years ago was met with massive opposition from supporters.

Mr Cantwell said they intend to embark on a promotion campaign to heighten public awareness of the stadium’s facilities.

Already this year, more than 40,000 people attended concerts by Bob Dylan and Pink, with a huge spinoff for Limerick.

The stadium also hosted its first civil wedding ceremony recently.

Mr Cantwell said they would be loathe to sell the naming rights and follow in the footsteps of the former Lansdowne Road stadium, now the Aviva.

"Thomond Park is a unique product, a unique destination. Our decision not to sell the naming rights was the right one and a positive one.

"The Thomond Park name has a value which cannot be valued in euros." (but what about dollars)</span>

Mr Cantwell said they hope to commence a rebranding campaign within weeks. This will set out how they should maximise the attractiveness of the venue for conferences, corporate, and other events.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bosco
12th-August-2010, 05:10
Reminds me of a line in a QOTSA song.

"You're insulted, you can't be bought or sold
Translation, Offer to low"

Point
12th-August-2010, 05:24
Move along, nothing to see....really.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 05:29
I am totally outraged by this.... hold on this story is 3 years old and is not really a story at all!!

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 05:42
Must be at least the 3rd time that story has appeared in the last3 years?

Poncho
12th-August-2010, 07:32
Qotsa????smileys/shock.gif

buck65
12th-August-2010, 07:38
Queens of the stone age

LLCOOLJ14
12th-August-2010, 07:41
while they may not sell the name, the stadium has sold out on a lot of the traditions the old ground was built on. Its not user friendly anymore, and they offer nothing to spend any non game time in/aroundthe ground...in as late as possible and out of the ground ASAP once the games are over are most peoples plans these days.

Cantwell and Co. should take a trip over to Franklin Gardens if they dont recall the openness that was great about the old TP.

Poncho
12th-August-2010, 07:41
I'm definitely getting old!!smileys/sad.gif

munsterforever
12th-August-2010, 07:48
cant be sold?

...when it comes to munster everything can be sold....and often is....usually over the odds

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 07:53
while they may not sell the name, the stadium has sold out on a lot of the traditions the old ground was built on. Its not user friendly anymore, and they offer nothing to spend any non game time in/aroundthe ground...in as late as possible and out of the ground ASAP once the games are over are most peoples plans these days.

Cantwell and Co. should take a trip over to Franklin Gardens if they dont recall the openness that was great about the old TP.

Fully agree with you.

Red October
12th-August-2010, 07:55
The corporate sponsorship gravy train was missed. Simples.
Perhaps 12-18 months earlier opened and we'd all be traipsing
in & out of The Anglo Irish TP Experience or somesuch.

Have people nothing else to be bothering them during the
close season?

buck65
12th-August-2010, 08:50

Jesus I must have been at a different Thomond Park than you pre 2008!

Am I the only one who likes the new place? Shop to browse in , plenty of bars and food etc. Pre game music and entertainment.

IIRC the old stadium had a bar and a place to buy some cans with a few chippers out front and the only pre game entertainment was watching the warm up. Fair enough you could go where you wanted once you got in the gate but that was never going to work in a modern stadium.

I don't subscribe to this "the atmosphere is poor now compared...." theory either. Thomond only ever came alive for HCup games, it still does along with some of the bigger ML games. Those games against NHampton last season along with the AllBlacks, Sale 2 years ago, Ospreys 1/4 final, Clermont were as good and better than alot of HCup games in the old stadium.

Piquet
12th-August-2010, 09:03
Fair enough you could go where you wanted once you got in the gate but that was never going to work in a modern stadium.

It works in the Milennium and Croke Park to name two.

Piquet
12th-August-2010, 09:05
IT’S the spiritual home of Munster rugby and although much has changed at Thomond Park, the name will remain the same.

That's wrong. It used to be called "Thomond Park" it's now called "Thomond Park Stadium"

Mack the Knife
12th-August-2010, 09:05
Shops to browse in ? What shops, the Munster thieving Store ?
Sounds like you'd be even happier if they played the games in the Crescent.

treatycity1
12th-August-2010, 09:19

Am I the only one who likes the new place? Shop to browse in , plenty of bars and food etc. Pre game music and entertainment.

IIRC the old stadium had a bar and a place to buy some cans with a few chippers out front and the only pre game entertainment was watching the warm up. Fair enough you could go where you wanted once you got in the gate but that was never going to work in a modern stadium.

I don't subscribe to this "the atmosphere is poor now compared...." theory either. Thomond only ever came alive for HCup games, it still does along with some of the bigger ML games. Those games against NHampton last season along with the AllBlacks, Sale 2 years ago, Ospreys 1/4 final, Clermont were as good and better than alot of HCup games in the old stadium.
I have to disagree with you there, the place oftenn came alive during AIL and Munster cup ties, though the crowds were not large the atmosphere, craic and the banter was ninety.

I have been to only one game in the new TP that was the Nhamps game at christmas when I was home, I was hugly impressed by the stadium but was up in the gods in the west stand and felt somewaht divorced (and cold) from the atmosphere that was clearly electric down on the terraces.

I think that once the child has grown up and supporters feel an afinity for the ground like they had for the old one and the fabric of the ground soaks up the passion the supporters and players bring to the ground it will once again feel like that old coat we love to wear and would never dream of throwing away.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 09:51
Fair enough you could go where you wanted once you got in the gate but that was never going to work in a modern stadium.

I don't ever remember standing or sitting where I wanted in Croke Park or the Millenium (apart from Hill 16 whichis the only terraced area in Croke Park)

Wtf is the jibe about the Crescent shopping centre? Some of the people here would rather if Munster were still playing instead in front of 30 people on the backfield in Thomond in the Inter pros. In case at all anyone would get in to see them play. Move with the times and get over it - f**king moaning about everything.

And you above in the West Stand looking wistfully into the terraces just remember that the people in the stands also paid well for their tickets and are no less Munster fans than the people in the terraces because they chose a bit of comfort or can't get any other ticket.

BiggusDiccus
12th-August-2010, 09:54

I'm with you Buck - love new stadium and couldnt imagine reverting to old Thomond setup now.Suppose you cannot please all the people all the time

buck65
12th-August-2010, 09:57

I'm with you Buck - love new stadium and couldnt imagine reverting to old Thomond setup now.Suppose you cannot please all the people all the time

And at least now there is some hope of getting a HCup ticket unlike pre 2008.

Jeez I'm tetchy today.

Piquet
12th-August-2010, 10:02

I don't ever remember standing or sitting where I wanted in Croke Park or the Millenium (apart from Hill 16 whichis the only terraced area in Croke Park)

I misunderstood what you wrote. Once inside the gate in either of the two stadia I mentioned, with the exception of hill 16, one can meet up with one's pals and have a drink and "the crack" before going to one's seats. In the old Thomond this was also possible but not any more. There are now seven separate "mini stadia" within the stadium.

EDIT: This, in my opinion is a big loss. With a bit more thought, the design could have been done to allow free movement once inside the stadium.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 10:19
Fair enough piquet I get your point and agree with you.

DONC
12th-August-2010, 10:29
It is a shame thatit can be difficult / notpossibleto meet up with people inside the ground by and large. Other than that I like the place and there has been many special nights already for sure.

Remembering back to the old TP there was a fair amount of space for most ML games. Now we moan when it is only 3/4 full but you are still looking at 17 / 18k people at least for most games that is a fair advance and must have something to do with improved facilities.

Do I care if they rename it? Not a jot at the end of the day the name is not imporatant and if the extra revenue helps Munster improve then excellent bring it on.

Mack the Knife
12th-August-2010, 11:26
*Fair enough you could go where you wanted once you got in the gate but that was never going to work in a modern stadium.

It works in the Milennium and Croke Park to name two. *

I don't ever remember standing or sitting where I wanted in Croke Park or the Millenium (apart from Hill 16 which*is the only terraced area in Croke Park)

Wtf is the jibe about the Crescent shopping centre? Some of the people here would rather if Munster were still playing instead in front of 30 people on the backfield in Thomond in the Inter pros. In case at all anyone would get in to see them play. Move with the times and get over it - f**king moaning about everything.

And you above in the West Stand looking wistfully into the terraces just remember that the people in the stands also paid well for their tickets and are no less Munster fans than the people in the terraces because they chose a bit of comfort or can't get any other ticket.

What shops are you browsing ? You make it sound like the crescent.

kooga made for rugby
12th-August-2010, 12:00
I'd be happy with the Carling Arena!

kermit
12th-August-2010, 12:04
I misunderstood what you wrote. Once inside the gate in either of the two stadia I mentioned, with the exception of hill 16, one can meet up with one's pals and have a drink and "the crack" before going to one's seats. In the old Thomond this was also possible but not any more. There are now seven separate "mini stadia" within the stadium.

EDIT: This, in my opinion is a big loss. With a bit more thought, the design could have been done to allow free movement once inside the stadium.

The problem with this is that TP has terraces. You'd have chaps in the North Terrace standing in the West Terrace, as once you're in, your ticket isn't checked.

quinnie
12th-August-2010, 12:35

The problem with this is that TP has terraces. You'd have chaps in the North Terrace standing in the West Terrace, as once you're in, your ticket isn't checked.

my ticket's always(well nearly always) checked when going onto the terrace

it wouldn't be too difficult to allow free movement within the stadium while ensuring that people stuck to the terrace they're alloted

I have no problem with the new stadium, the more accessible Munster rugby is the better &amp; the way things are run has certainly improved from when the redeveloped ground opened first, so long as this trend continues, great

buck65
12th-August-2010, 12:40

What shops are you browsing ? You make it sound like the crescent.

?

treatycity1
12th-August-2010, 12:47
I like the new stadium, I love seeing it when I am home, I alway have a surge of pride when I see it. Munster rugby was deserving of a stadium that reflects its popularity and prowess. The game has adapted to the 21st century and TP needed to as well. So what if there are no shops, go to the jetland if that's what you want, part of the whole experience is watching the game there and then heading off to your favourite watering hole to discuss the match, replay it, and have the craic with your mates.

buck65
12th-August-2010, 12:59
Hear hear.

Or go to the Crescent like me!

Mack the Knife
12th-August-2010, 13:08
I misread shops for shop. The shop is crap anyway. was in the one in Cork at lunch time reckon you would see more goods in a Cuban department store. Terrible range at poor prices.

davidos
12th-August-2010, 18:55
while they may not sell the name, the stadium has sold
out on a lot of the traditions the old ground was built on. Its
not user friendly anymore, and they offer nothing to spend
any non game time in/aroundthe ground...in as late as
possible and out of the ground ASAP once the games are
over are most peoples plans these days.

Cantwell and Co. should take a trip over to Franklin
Gardens if they dont recall the openness that was great
about the old TP.

Fully agree with you.

I really enjoyed Franklin Gardens last season. Met great
people, had a few beers watching the game, there was not
a scrum for the jacks.

Limerick is great for the big matches. TP is great when the
game is tight, but for before and after it is not great.

Quailman
12th-August-2010, 19:03
I wouldn't mind selling it naming rights if enough money was offered, so long as Thomond Park stayed in the name.

E.g, Toyota stadium would be a definite no-no, but Toyota Thomond Park would be fine.

Lightblue
12th-August-2010, 19:18
"Thomond only ever came alive for HCup games, it still does along with some of the bigger ML games."

Buck65 were you ever at a game v touring side, an AIL game, a MSC or MJCgame? Thomond park has been around since well before the formation of the "Stags". It was a stadium that belonged to the rugby people of Munster and in particular to those of us from Limerick. It had no shops and one jax yet no one complained. I saw the ABs there 3 times, Australia v USA, Australia Schools with 3 Ella brothers on board, Australia v Munster '84. Romania v Munster when Munster were beaten by a very good side .England shools with a certain Underwood on the wing, Japan schools, an exhibition by Wales A and Awell Thomasin '87. An All Ireland club competition in '84/85 when Garryowen, Corinthians, Bangor and St.Marys did battle. But you're right nothing happened in Thomomnd Park until the Heineken Cup.

McCloud
12th-August-2010, 21:01
"Thomond only ever came alive for HCup games, it still does along with some of the bigger ML games."

Buck65 were you ever at a game v touring side, an AIL game, a MSC or MJCgame? Thomond park has been around since well before the formation of the "Stags". It was a stadium that belonged to the rugby people of Munster and in particular to those of us from Limerick. It had no shops and one jax yet no one complained. I saw the ABs there 3 times, Australia v USA, Australia Schools with 3 Ella brothers on board, Australia v Munster '84. Romania v Munster when Munster were beaten by a very good side .England shools with a certain Underwood on the wing, Japan schools, an exhibition by Wales A and Awell Thomasin '87. An All Ireland club competition in '84/85 when Garryowen, Corinthians, Bangor and St.Marys did battle. But you're right nothing happened in Thomomnd Park until the Heineken Cup.

Good post, gets to the root of what is happening. Thomond Park Stadiumhas decided it is now a business and have forgotten where it came from. My two boys have no interest in going to Thomond in the last 2 years as it is no longer any fun off the pitch or on it after the game. They I guess could be seen as the future of the game and Thomond is turning them off....

SFBB
12th-August-2010, 21:47
They would sell if the penny was pretty enough. Anybody who
thinks otherwise is deluded.

Paulie Walnuts
12th-August-2010, 22:40
The IRFU found a willing sucker in the Norwich Union crowd when they sold the naming rights to the Bedpan. If the Munster branch get the right ( i.e. similar) spons to develop rugby in the province and secure thefuture strengh of the Munster team and it's development structures, I'd have no problem with the stadium being named after even the most scurillous , disreputable corporation out there, even Bank of Ireland. I wouldn't go so far in the whoring as to allow their name back on the jersey again though, that would be too insensitive to their manyvictims, no siree.

buck65
13th-August-2010, 05:38

No, to be honest I come from a hurling backround and only started to follow Munster circa 99/2000. Point taken though. My point is that really rugby has become a big business and for Munster to move with the times and compete on a European level (which they have been doing for 15 years) things like the stadium have to be improved physically. One jax back in the 80s may have been well and good but now adays Thomond is up there with the best stadia in the world at it's capacity level.

Sure it may have lost a bit of the mystique and character but the sledging some dish out here to the new stadium and the new breed of Munster supporter , and I include myself in that, is over the top.

I would rather see us beating the likes of Toulon, Clermont, Sale, Gloucester in Thomond in front of 26,000 than some touring side from Japan tbh.

Lightblue
13th-August-2010, 06:04
Buck65 if you find the so called sledging over the top then stop posting silliness like you have been doing. I too get tired of the new v old supporter posts. But as an older supporter I find the newer supporter dressed head to toe in expensive replica gear with bodrán a pain in the ass. To be told by some one who never played the game and foundMunster circa '99/00 that this or that is wrong with a perfirmance makes my eyes roll backwards. If half the ardent, die hard, I want your babies Axel, Quinnie, Wally etc brigade attended and volunteer in the club setion they would far morw for the development than they will by buying a new jersey every year. And don't throw back that rugby clubs are snobish and exclusive any club would bite the hand off a volunteer.

DONC
13th-August-2010, 07:24
Be harder to help lightblue with only one hand!!!!!!

I don't believe that the moral rights to speaking on rugby is placed solely with those who have played the game. That is the eliteism you speak against lightblue, though I am fairly certain you didn't mean it that way.

blackwarrior
13th-August-2010, 07:30
The thing is that the new TP is different than the old one. Is it better or worse? In my view it's better in comfort, viewing angles (you can now see the corners from the West terrace), ease of gettinga drink, and, at it's best, the new atmosphere can be brilliant.

For example, the electricity from the crowd during POC's sin binning last season against Northampton is never to be forgotten. Would that volume of noise for a series of scrums have been possible in the old TP? I think not.

However, the new ground has lost some intimacy, in that you haven't as much freedom within the ground as before. And, the old tunnel area was special as the crowds parted.

All in all, I'm thrilled with the new set-up. Attending a game with 26,000 others in a top-class Irish venue is a blast.

And, finally, there's something people don't always think of. In the old ground, Munster played every HEC game as a team who had never won the Heineken Cup, with the exception of the 2006/07 season.

In the new stadium, the team is a two-time winner and therefore not just the ground has changed - the team and what it stands for has also changed in my view. Both for the positive too, IMO!

buck65
13th-August-2010, 08:33
But as an older supporter I find the newer supporter dressed head to toe in expensive replica gear with bodrán a pain in the ass. To be told by some one who never played the game and foundMunster circa '99/00 that this or that is wrong with a perfirmance makes my eyes roll backwards. If half the ardent, die hard, I want your babies Axel, Quinnie, Wally etc brigade attended and volunteer in the club setion they would far morw for the development than they will by buying a new jersey every year.

This really is the point of my whole argument.

According to you to be able to comment on a game or to be taken seriouslyyou have to :

A) Not wear replica gear or beat a bodhran.

B) Have played the game

C) Followed Munster before 1999/2000.

D) Be involved with a club team in Munster

I think the one jax in Thomond might after all be able to accomodatethe true Munster supporters like yourself.

quinnie
13th-August-2010, 08:58
Buck65 if you find the so called sledging over the top then stop posting silliness like you have been doing.<S&#079;NG><S&#079;NG><S&#079;NG>I too get tired of the new v old supporter posts.</S&#079;NG><S&#079;NG><S&#079;NG>So here's another one!</S&#079;NG>But as an older supporter I find the newer supporter dressed head to toe in expensive replica gear with bodrán a pain in the ass. To be told by some one who never played the game and foundMunster circa '99/00 that this or that is wrong with a perfirmance makes my eyes roll backwards. If half the ardent, die hard, I want your babies Axel, Quinnie, Wally etc brigade attended and volunteer in the club setion they would far morw for the development than they will by buying a new jersey every year. And don't throw back that rugby clubs are snobish and exclusive any club would bite the hand off a volunteer.

as a "newer supporter"with a replica jersey or 2&amp;a bodhrán(which doesn't get brought to the games much anymore)I think this post is justpurvasive of the very elitism you then go on to deny. I have respect for anyone who's played the game, but to suggest that anyone who hasn't played is not entitled to voice an opinion is snobbish.

It wasn't a consious decision I made as a child not to play the game, I just had other interests(not all of them constructive) but whatyou need to realise isthat those of us who "found Munster circa 99/00" have been watching/going to matches for 10 years now, does that not entitle us to an opinion on the game?

I do take your point that volunteering would be a more constructive use of the average supporters spare time, but can you imagine the chaos at the local clubs with a sudden influx of 26,000+ volunteers (who know nothing about rugbyhttp://www.munsterfans.com/forum/smileys/wink.gif)

Lightblue
13th-August-2010, 09:59
Where did I say that new supporters are not entitled to an opinion? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. But some opinions are more informed than others. I played mickey mouse hurling so my opinion on Cats v Cork is not as informed as say Seán óGs. I'm certainly entitled to one but those willing to listen with intent are few and far between. Further more haven been in TP in the earlie '70s does not make me a better supporter than on who jettisoned in in '99/00, but I speak as one who was brought up in the spirit of Limerick rugby and to see those traditions eroded doesn't sit well, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I abhor elitism bur have the confidence to listen to those that are better informed. In my 30+ years in rugby I have never experienced elitism. I have played in 8 or 9 countries and as long as you had boots and a work ethic you got a game. There is a wonderful worldwide fraternity among rugby players, maybe that is where the non rugby playing supporter loses out, he has no access or right of access to the players fraternity and so calls itelitism. It is not but it is a club to which you must earn the right to membership, that's what makes it so special.

buck65
13th-August-2010, 11:04
Lightblue you really are a credit to the game in Limerick, you obviously love the game (as I do, but never played) We are all on the same side here so best of luck to you. Deep down we all want what's best for Munster.

quinnie
13th-August-2010, 11:47
excellent reply LB, it seems I misinterpreted your affinity for old rugby values for snobbery/elitism &amp; I'm not too up myself to apologise

so I am genuinely sorry.

I am well aware of those old Limerick rugby values, my old man made sure of that &amp; I do my best to respect them

treatycity1
13th-August-2010, 11:47
never used the jax in TP got the b****x stung off me by nettles enough times, the smell in the old jax and some of the growth in there put me off using it.
Who cares where you come from or when you came the whole idea is to get out there and support munster.
I suppose because they have the shop on o connell street they want peoiple to use it and help with the high costs of doing business in limerick city, thats why the rabnge i n TP is small.
one of the best games i ever saw there was an u21 against wales when a certain POC destroyed the welsh pack all on his own( ok exagerating) but he was incredible that night.

Lightblue
13th-August-2010, 12:41
Bosh65 and Quinnie there is no need for apologies, ye have nothing to apologise for. If ye are new to the game of rugby then welcome to what is definitely the greatest game and fraternity in the world, and no I am not bias. My father took me to GFC as 7 year old and I'm there since, my sons are the 3rd generation to play. We are not unusual in this and I'm sure many families in other clubs have deeper roots. Lots of people post here about their love of rugby when they really mean their love of Munster. It's easy to see the appeal. A successful team playing some of the biggest names in rugby and attracting some of the worlds best players. My heart breaks when I go to an AIL game to see a paltry 200 attendance. Where are all the passionate rugby supporters? I have appealed before and shall do so again, please join or attend an AIL club this season. We don't eat our young or roger each other silly in the bar. You will meet some great people passionate about their clubs and you will see some fantastic rugby. And as you intergrate you will enjoy some fantastic nights out in a comradery that cannot be bought. So this season make an effort to support your local club, you won't regret it

buck65
13th-August-2010, 12:52
We don't eat our young or <S&#079;NG>roger each other silly in the bar. </S&#079;NG>

Well now I'm definitely not going.