PDA

View Full Version : O Connell on the mend.

manofmunster
6th-August-2010, 05:59
<S&#079;NG>From the Limerick Post ...</S&#079;NG>

<S&#079;NG>“I am the kind of player who feels best playing games” </S&#079;NG>

MUNSTER Captain Paul O Connell, speaks to Postsport this week about his current injury which has seen the lock forward on the sidelines since February 20 last.

The injury, an infection in the pubic symphysis, has seen the Irish international sidelined since the last Six Nations game of the season against Scotland.

Indeed, the former Lions captain has not pulled on the red of Munster since January of last year, when Northampton came to town in the Heineken Cup pool stages. A lay off which has been a little frustrating for the proud new father.

“I have never really injured myself to be honest, so it is frustrating in that way. If you get a break or a bang in a match you can kind of accept that, but this is an infection, so that was harder to get over really. Once I got a handle on it in the pubic symphysis, it was easier to get over the injury. There is minimal blood flow to that area, so it was taking longer than normal to heal. I will be on oral antibiotics until the end of this week. I am back doing a decent bit of training over the last three weeks. So I am on the mend. I think it is still going to be a slow process from here, but I am definitely on the mend.”

With such an important season ahead, what with Heineken Cup, Magners League, Six Nations and a World Cup, the Limerick giant, who turns 31 in October sees the season as being separate periods, ones in which he wants to play in.

“Well I hope that once I am back and available to play, I will play out the rest of the season with Munster and Ireland wherever possible. I am the kind of player who feels best playing games. Getting to play a lot of games and not too much rest in between is what suits me, to be honest. It is something that didn’t happen for me last season you know. I would love to get five games in a row and maybe then a week off and then five games again. I would like to do that until the end of the season and then look at World Cups and stuff like that. The World Cup is in September so we will get a good break in the summer anyway so. I can’t really see anyone else being different than that really.”

First things first for Paul and Munster fans alike. The return date for the talisman is still unknown, more out of experience than severity of injury.

“I don’t really have a return date in mind to be honest. Since the week after I got this injury, I have been looking for return dates. It has been a bit hit and miss at times and it has frustrated me and the physios too, so this time I am not looking at any one date or match week for a return. Right now, I am just taking it week by week and doing different things at training. It has been a case of doing one thing in training and if I do not react to it, I move on to the other. The progress is the getting steadier over the last few weeks so I am happy enough at the moment”.

One thing O Connell has been able to do is run the eye over what is coming up behind him in the Munster set up. Some players are making an impression and causing a little bit of pressure.

“I am based in Limerick, so Dave Foley would be one that would catch my eye. Peter O Mahony, Dave Ryan, Ian Nagle, Mike Sherry, Scott Deasy and Danny Barnes are serious operators also. We need those young lads to come through to the team and become leaders. We need those lads to come forward and drive Munster on. I think those lads gained great confidence and experience from the B&amp;I cup last season so they now need to be putting pressure on the older lads in the squad. They are killing themselves in pre-season and they have been at it now for three weeks so they are really taking their opportunities. I think by week six we will see the benefits and they will be making competition for places”

With the Heineken group of death to look forward to, competition for places is going to be vital.

“We have an un

Mebawsa Ritchie
6th-August-2010, 06:50
I hope this is all true.

He's lost well over 2 stone in weight I'm told. The recovery and prep. to retake the field will be slow and laborious.

JoeyFantastic
6th-August-2010, 06:52
I don't see anything too positive in that article, still no predicted return
date.

McCloud
6th-August-2010, 07:01
Agree, not a lot to be positive about in that article.

JoeyFantastic
6th-August-2010, 07:06
Agree, not a lot to be positive about in that
article.

could be a good place to start the Dave Foley hype in earnest though, I
hear O'Connell says he's the new O'Connell.

nuke
6th-August-2010, 07:37
"Indeed, the former Lions captain has not pulled on the red of Munster since January of last year"

Did I lose a year somewhere ?????

John123
6th-August-2010, 07:38
Well in fairness they don't tend to give return dates with these long term injuries so I wouldn't be overly worried. At the same time if he has lost the weight MR is talking about we'll be lucky to see him by Christmas.

Mebawsa Ritchie
6th-August-2010, 08:28
My info. is that the prognosis is not clearcut. In other words he may not recover sufficiently to play again.

Bosco
6th-August-2010, 08:31
"Indeed, the former Lions captain has not
pulled on the red of Munster since January of last year"

Did I lose a year somewhere ?????

Yes
Leinster won the HEC again, and there is no Munster players
in the RWC squad that starts next month

Balla Boy
6th-August-2010, 08:50
Well, it sounds like he's training regularly. How bad can an infection in
the pelvis be?

Mebawsa Ritchie
6th-August-2010, 09:03

the pelvis be?

Potentially career ending by all accounts. My info is that running is not possible for him*

*Unless that situation has changed in the least 2 weeks.

Raging Bullock
6th-August-2010, 09:14
I think the O Connell situation is very worrying. sounds like there are issues in treating this particular injury and that O Connell will do well to play again at all for Munster.

No. 16
6th-August-2010, 09:44

the pelvis be?

Potentially career ending by all accounts. My info is that running is not possible for him*

*Unless that situation has changed in the least 2 weeks.

I believe it is somewhere in agreement with both of you. I was told he was doing "Light running", which I suppose may be some class of jogging. And not indeed, "running". This was about 4 weeks ago.

Stick at the Phaidr�n !
http://www.munsterfans.com//uploads/images/No16/praying_smiley.gif
</span></span>

Fresh Start
6th-August-2010, 10:04
Well, it sounds like he's training regularly. How bad can an
infection in
the pelvis be?

Well how many people were thinking how bad could a dodgy
toe be when Simon Geoghegan's career was being cruelly cut
short?

Mcork
6th-August-2010, 11:45
Sounds like he is getting better though from the article. Very slow healing process due to where the infection is and gradually doing differn't things in training sounds like he will eventually come back but not likely in the near future.

The diff probably between Geoghegan and O'Connell is that the latter plays in an era where there has been huge advances in medical treatment. Even 10 or so years ago, a cruciate tear was the end of your carreer basically, now it is more or less a routine operation.

Am I being overly optimistic?

manofmunster
6th-August-2010, 12:23
Sounds like he is getting better though from the article. Very slow healing process due to where the infection is and gradually doing differn't things in training sounds like he will eventually come back but not likely in the near future.

The diff probably between Geoghegan and O'Connell is that the latter plays in an era where there has been huge advances in medical treatment. Even 10 or so years ago, a cruciate tear was the end of your carreer basically, now it is more or less a routine operation.

Am I being overly optimistic?

No, I don't think so. My information is exactly that - things are progressing but very slowly.

I think he'll be back this side of Christmas as long as he doesn't suffer any setbacks.

locomotion
6th-August-2010, 20:43
Why dont people let Paul O'Connell get on with his rehab and stop spreading rumours about his condition. The forced inactivity must be driving the man mad and he certainly doesnt need all these stories and speculation about his return or as in some of the more tabloid ones the end of his career.

The man has given 100% every time for Young Munsters,Munster, Ireland and the Lions and deserves respect and the right to privacy while he recovers from what must be a very frustrating condition / injury.

Allez Les Rouges
6th-August-2010, 20:54
Why dont people let Paul O'Connell get on with his rehab and stop spreading rumours about his condition. The forced inactivity must be driving the man mad and he certainly doesnt need all these stories and speculation about his return or as in some of the more tabloid ones the end of his career.

The man has given 100% every time for Young Munsters,Munster, Ireland and the Lions and deserves respect and the right to privacy while he recovers from what must be a very frustrating condition / injury.

Well said! Good luck Paul in your rehab!

Waterfordlad
6th-August-2010, 21:13
Yeah he's a great guy and we should give Paulie the space to recover without all this idle speculation.

So in the interests of distracting the conversation away from doom and gloom, and after a few beers on a Friday night, all Iwill quote from the articleis....

"Once I got a handle on it in the pubic symphysis, it was easier'

rathbaner
6th-August-2010, 21:36
Every fan is worried about Paulie and this injury.

shep
7th-August-2010, 09:17
He's was a huge loss last season and will be again at the start of the campaign, so lets hope he recovers to play some part in the season.

Is there any truth in the rumour, that injections into the groin area by the medics with the International team to keep him going during the 6 nations, played a major part in this prolonged condition?

Quailman
7th-August-2010, 10:52
Even if there is, they aren't charlatans, they are doctors. He would have given his full consent after having been made aware of possible negative implications.

Also, seeing as he is an IRFU contracted player, not a Munster one, then the branch would have no recourse even if there was some potential negligence (like Bayern Munich are trying to argue with Robben and Holland at the Word Cup).

blackwarrior
7th-August-2010, 11:47
I think the O Connell situation is very worrying. sounds like there are issues in treating this particular injury and that<S&#079;NG> O Connell will do well to play again at all for Munster</S&#079;NG>.

This stuff gives forums a bad name. Two years ago on here, it was the same thing about O'Connell, yet he came back to a Grand Slam and to captaining the Lions.

If he says he's on the way back, that's good enough for me.

tickettout
7th-August-2010, 12:51
I think the O Connell situation is very worrying. sounds like there are issues in treating this particular injury and that<S&#079;NG> O Connell will do well to play again at all for Munster</S&#079;NG>.

This stuff gives forums a bad name. Two years ago on here, it was the same thing about O'Connell, yet he came back to a Grand Slam and to captaining the Lions.

+1, some load of rubbish gets floated about when it comes to Paulie.

Last time he came back from a major injury he put in 3 motm type performances against Saracens Toulouse and Gloucester.

The Outlaw
7th-August-2010, 14:32

+1, some load of rubbish gets floated about when it comes to Paulie.

Last time he came back from a major injury he put in 3 motm type performances against Saracens Toulouse and Gloucester.

To be fair the TT the people who claim to be in the know on this aren't usually wrong. That does concern me I'm afraid. I heard it was pretty bad a few months back but had no idea he would be out for this long.

JoeyFantastic
7th-August-2010, 15:03
Ah Outlaw, you weren't about for the previous bout of rumours about
POC after the RWC, iirc. He was never going to walk again at one point
he was never going to walk again.

Danny
7th-August-2010, 15:44
Heard from a very good source that he has lost 2.5/3 stone as a result!

tickettout
7th-August-2010, 16:13
Ah Outlaw, you weren't about for the previous bout of rumours about
POC after the RWC, iirc. He was never going to walk again at one point
he was never going to walk again.

Around the end of2007I remember hearing from a taxi driver that he would never ever againplay with Munster and Ireland,'He was sick of it and had had enough' .Apparantly he was just going to go back playing with Young Munster.

And I was the one who was after drinking 12 pints.smileys/lol.gif

locomotion
7th-August-2010, 18:11
A "very good source" is just another name for an auld gossip. For gods sake give the man a break from the rumour mill.

Just because Paul O'Connell plays for Munster and Ireland , he is not public property. The long lay off must be frustrating enough without all the rumours circulating from so called "very good sources".

Danny
7th-August-2010, 18:28
A good source as in my father was talking to him

locomotion
7th-August-2010, 20:01
If he was talking to him spreading the rumour about the state of his health is not respecting Paul's right to privacy. Nobody on this site would appreciate people discussing their health and medical conditions in public. Why not show the same respect to Paul and his family.

dropkick
7th-August-2010, 21:30
I'm sure he'll be back to his best next season but should take
his time coming back.

One positive is it'll give Donnacha Ryan a run of games.

No. 16
7th-August-2010, 23:43
If he was talking to him spreading the rumour about the state of his health is not respecting Paul's right to privacy. Nobody on this site would appreciate people discussing their health and medical conditions in public. Why not show the same respect to Paul and his family.

I understand where you are coming from and the tone and content of some of the posts here is perhaps crossing the line from tact to tacky. But in general, isn't the discussion of a player's injury, its severity, the prognosis, and the liklihood of return to action quite a normal topic of discussion for a sports fans' site? Especially considering such an esteemed and sorely missed player such as the Captain POC - people want to know.

I know he must really be frustrated with the injury, but he himself has been talking about it at relative length in various public media such as radio and papers. There was one topic of speculation raised here that was perhaps in less than wholly sensitive taste, but discussing a widely respected major sports figure's injury is off limits?
smileys/c&#111;nfused.gif

JoeyFantastic
7th-August-2010, 23:58
If he was talking to him spreading the rumour
about the state of his health is not respecting Paul's right to privacy.
Nobody on this site would appreciate people discussing their health and
medical conditions in public. Why not show the same respect to Paul
and his family.

I wouldn't think O'Connell would mind people knowing the truth, the
rumours this time were saying he had depression and couldn't get his
head right to train. Obviously that's nonsense but it's what he's had to
put up with.

Tobyglen
8th-August-2010, 00:29
Joke of a thread, heard it before with Darcy, POC, BOD, ROG. Look the guy is bound to lose some muscle weight when he's not able to train, he'll be back playing before Christmas.

Babs (was bthequin)
8th-August-2010, 04:33
All I can say is "God help the oppo" when he does come back, he'll be so up for the game.

Can't wait!!

Danny
8th-August-2010, 14:24
All I can say is "God help the oppo"
when he does come back, he'll be so up for the game.

Can't wait!!

To right

ustix
8th-August-2010, 15:03
All I can say is "God help the oppo"

when he does come back, he'll be so up for the game.

Can't wait!!

To right
Too left

dannybzr
9th-August-2010, 04:18
Yeah, it'll be great to have him back................ AND HE WILL BE BACK..

Tobyglen
10th-August-2010, 14:35
Was walking around Castletroy today and POC was coming towards me so I stoped for a quick chat but the point about him losing 2 stone is pure nonsense.

Mebawsa Ritchie
10th-August-2010, 14:38
Was walking around Castletroy today and POC was coming towards me so I stoped for a quick chat but the point about him losing 2 stone is pure nonsense.

Did you weigh him? smileys/wink.gif

Tobyglen
10th-August-2010, 14:46

Did you weigh him? smileys/wink.gif

Nah I just seen the lards of fat hanging off himsmileys/wink.gif.

joenah
14th-August-2010, 14:59
I've frequented this website an awful lot over the years but have really moved away from it in the last 12 months

this thread has reminded me why

Cathal
14th-August-2010, 15:17
Was walking around Castletroy</span> today and POC was coming towards me so I stoped for a quick chat but the point about him losing 2 stone is pure nonsense.

Repeats? smileys/wink.gif

Tobyglen
14th-August-2010, 22:17
Was walking around Castletroy</span> today and POC was coming towards me so I stoped for a quick chat but the point about him losing 2 stone is pure nonsense.

Repeats? smileys/wink.gif

Dissertation &amp; I-Grades smileys/sad.gif!