PDA

View Full Version : Magners League Venues announced

ligind
27th-July-2010, 10:02
From here (http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7714.php)

Cork feeding off the scraps again, Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow, Dragons... To play even one of the provinces in cork would have been nice.</span></span></span>

Point
27th-July-2010, 10:03

Cork feeding off the scraps again, Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow, Dragons... To play even one of the provinces in cork would have been nice.

Not if it was Connacht.

ligind
27th-July-2010, 10:05
Not if it was Connacht.

Connacht have had a decent record in the interpro's in the last season or 2.

dell
27th-July-2010, 10:10

Cork feeding off the scraps again, Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow, Dragons... To play even one of the provinces in cork would have been nice. Couldn't have said it better, all cork is getting is the scraps, they should all be played in T/Psmileys/biggrin.gif

soccer rules
27th-July-2010, 11:02
it makes no sense playing all the bigger games in TP, after all what has ticket revenue got to do with the running of a team trying to remain competitive at the top level. it's not like we use the extra revenue to pay wages that allow us to keep and sign the big name players.

they should play an inter pro there and lose out on 18,000 ticket sales at an average of around e30 per ticket, just to keep the 8,500 that go to MP happy. but i'm not sure that the the lads in cork would be happy to make up the e540k income loss? which after all is the annual wage bill for 2 big name players, but then again we could do without wian and sam.

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 11:18
They should play all the A games, schools interpros and ladies matches in Cork. The important stuff belongs in Thomond Park.
Besides Cork has the Co-op, 2 hockey teams , road bowling and Pairc ui caoimh and flower lodge for hurling and bogball to keep them occupied.

Point
27th-July-2010, 11:20
Not if it was Connacht.

Connacht have had a decent record in the interpro's in the last season or 2.

Yeah but the ones I've had to witness have been very poor matches.

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 11:22
Sorry to hear that supporting Munster is such a chore for you Pointsmileys/biggrin.gif

Point
27th-July-2010, 11:25
Sorry to hear that supporting Munster is such a chore for you Pointsmileys/biggrin.gif

Ah, you're here. Run out of Dutch Gold have you ?

BigLad
27th-July-2010, 11:29
I think it would have been a nice touch to play aironi in nenagh to start off with

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 11:33
Here comes the Killarney debate again smileys/lol.gif

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 11:36
Here comes the Killarney debate again smileys/lol.gif

Nenagh is in Tipp smileys/wink.gif

Point, Dutch Gold is too expensive for me smileys/sad.gif

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 11:41
No s**t bosco, Im just saying it reminds me of all those silly threads looking to play H-cup matches in Killarney and Thurles.

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 11:44
I knowsmileys/lol.gif

they are not silly threads, the GAA does not own Killarney

JoeyFantastic
27th-July-2010, 11:46
When is the new Musgrave stand starting?

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 11:46
For the love of f**k, how many more times ? The GAA does own Fitzgerald Stadium.

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 11:47
I dont believe you

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 11:49
http://www.eastkerrygaa.com/history-stadium.htm

JoeyFantastic
27th-July-2010, 11:50
When is the new
Musgrave stand starting?

Jan 2011.

There's still time then.

McCloud
27th-July-2010, 11:50
When is the new Musgrave stand starting?

Jan 2011.

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 11:52
http://www.eastkerrygaa.com/history-stadium.htm

you cant believe everything you read on the internet, except when someone says that the GAA does not own Killarney

LondonMunster
27th-July-2010, 11:52
Venues are all very well, but without dates and times for matches it is not really getting travelling supporters any further down the line.

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 11:53
I am going to miss the Ospreys gamesmileys/sad.gif they should have had that one in Cork

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 11:55
Friday November 25 2005

Colm Keys
THE GAA has reacted angrily to comments made by an IRFU official that Killarney's Fitzgerald Stadium could be an option for the Munster rugby team because it wasn't "vested" in the GAA.
In a stiff rebuke, a Croke Park official described the assertion by Garrett Fitzgerald, the chief executive officer of the Munster branch, as "insensitive."

Critically, the statement said Fitzgerald's vision for future Munster Heineken Cup games to be played in the picturesque Kerry town were "unhelpful relative to the potential future consideration in relation to the use of Croke Park."

It is understood that Munster rugby officials were made aware of the situation regarding Fitzgerald Stadium and other GAA grounds in the province when they made an informal approach to Kerry officials last year.

Such a hard-hitting GAA response to the newspaper report quoting Fitzgerald's comments yesterday points to deepening unease among some GAA officials at the relationship with the IRFU and FAI. Only last week GAA president Sean Kelly moved to quell speculation that Croke Park could host Six Nations games next season.

With the North Terrace at Lansdowne Road, which was extensively damaged by fire before the recent New Zealand international, closed by safety officers for up to six months, Croke Park was being touted for an earlier than scheduled opening under the terms of the changes made at Congress in April.

Interestingly, the GAA response was not issued on behalf of Kelly, who was the prime mover in re-opening the Rule 42 debate which led to the vote that successfully relaxed the rule regarding the use of Croke Park at Congress last April.

Fitzgerald had suggested that because the Killarney venue was not vested in the GAA it could be an option at some point in the future, given the tourist infrastructure (airport, hotels, access) that are already in place.

But the GAA has quickly rubbished the suggestion that Fitzgerald Stadium is not controlled by the association.

"The association has stated that Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney is owned and controlled by the GAA and any decision in regard to use of the stadium by other sports is a matter for Congress."

And the statement snarled that the changes to Rule 42 concerned Croke Park and no other GAA venue.

Unambiguous

"The association stated that the rules and policy in regard to GAA grounds were clear and unambiguous and were well ventilated in the context of this year's Congress debate in relation to the use of Croke Park.

"Congress decided that Central Council was given the authority to consider an application from the IRFU and the FAI for use of Croke Park for Senior Internationals, while Lansdowne Road was closed due to redevelopment works. "Other GAA grounds were clearly excluded from this decision and the GAA considers the statement to be discourteous, relative to the debate which has already taken place and insensitive and unhelpful relative to potential future consideration in relation to use of Croke Park."

The use of such language as "insensitive and "unhelpful" in the context of future discussions points to dissatisfaction among some GAA elements.

Fears that other grounds would be sought for rent by rugby and soccer formed one of the bulwarks of the argument to retain Rule 42 in its old format and debar all GAA venues from the reach of these sports.

Munster rugby has lost revenue over the years of soaring popularity for the team.

Thomond Park has a capacity of just over 13,000 and from 2000 onwards there has almost always been an excessive demand for tickets.

Not listed

Fitzgerald Stadium can accommodate some 44,000 spectators but was not listed as one of the two Munster venues earmarked for floodlights grants earlier this year. The GAA's director general Liam Mulvihill and Munster

LondonMunster
27th-July-2010, 11:59
Having read the dead sites info, I guess if tickets are going on sale later in the week then they will announce the times and dates simultaneous to the ticket sale. Or is that being naively optimistic?

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 12:00
Naively optimistic smileys/lol.gif

DONC
27th-July-2010, 12:04
For the love of f**k, how many more times ? The GAA does own Fitzgerald Stadium.

Itmay (or may not) be true that the GAA owns Fitzgerald Stadium, but surely they do not own Killarney?

JoeyFantastic
27th-July-2010, 12:07
For the love of f**k, how
many more times ? The GAA does own Fitzgerald Stadium.

It*may (or may not) be true that the GAA owns Fitzgerald Stadium,
but surely they do not own Killarney?

Checkmate

Mack the Knife
27th-July-2010, 12:25
An American landed on Erin's green isle
He gazed at Killarney with rapturous smile
"How can I buy it?" he said to his guide
"I'll tell you how", with a smile he replied

How can you buy all the stars in the skies?
How can you buy two blue Irish eyes?
How can you purchase a fond mother's sighs?
How can you buy Killarney?
Nature bestowed all her gifts with a smile
The emerald, the shamrock, the Blarney
When you can buy all these wonderful things
Then you can buy Killarney

Such a wonderful landscape you never have seen
A jewel so rare 'twould befit any queen
Pride of old Erin, a joy to behold
Heaven on earth, far more precious than gold

How can you buy all the stars in the skies?
How can you buy two blue Irish eyes?
How can you purchase a fond mother's sighs?
How can you buy Killarney?
Nature bestowed all her gifts with a smile
The emerald, the shamrock, the Blarney
When you can buy all these wonderful things
Then you can buy Killarney

Bosco
27th-July-2010, 12:33

Itmay (or may not) be true that the GAA owns Fitzgerald Stadium, but surely they do not own Killarney?

I was wondering if anyone would pick on that.

Terry Tibbs
27th-July-2010, 20:04
What with being based over here on the mainland,
and obviously not born and bred in Munster, and only really becoming a
fanatical supporter since I saw my first Munster match in Cardiff in 2008 against
Toulouse. </span>I was wondering, is there a
big rivalry between Limerick and Cork?
</span>How does that work? It must be strange that two fairly large provincial
towns in the country have to split 11 Magners League games and 3 HEC games
between them – does it lead to much animosity between supporters from either
town, when one gets the plum HEC games plus Leinster, Ospreys and Ulster while the
other gets Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow &amp; Dragons?</span></font>

JoeyFantastic
27th-July-2010, 20:40
&lt;font size="7"&gt;&lt;span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: Times New
Roman,Times,serif;"&gt;What with being based over here on the
mainland,
and obviously not born and bred in Munster, and only really
becoming a
fanatical supporter since I saw my first Munster match in Cardiff in
2008 against
Toulouse.&lt;span style=""&gt;* &lt;/span&gt;I was wondering, is there a
big rivalry between Limerick and Cork?&lt;span style=""&gt;*
&lt;/span&gt;How does that work? It must be strange that two fairly large
provincial
towns in the country have to split 11 Magners League games and 3
HEC games
between them – does it lead to much animosity between supporters
from either
town, when one gets the plum HEC games plus Leinster, Ospreys and
Ulster while the
other gets Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow & Dragons?&lt;/span&gt;</font>

You're getting desperate Terry, you must be the worst (as in least
successful) troll we've had here in ages.

McCloud
27th-July-2010, 20:44
I'd agree pretty disappointing reallysmileys/sad.gif

kahalui
27th-July-2010, 21:42
He'll be back in a few weeks with another gem.smileys/lol.gif It cant be that hard to wum, can it?

JoeyFantastic
27th-July-2010, 21:52
I don't know, it just seemed to come naturally to me.

buck65
28th-July-2010, 10:56
Where is the mainland? Tipperary?

Jackie Brown
28th-July-2010, 11:16
Sooo, Munster v Ulster, this will be in Thomond you reckon?. Have family in Co.Clare so looking forward to a trip down on New Years eve if the game is in Limerick.

McCloud
28th-July-2010, 11:50
Will be in Thomond according to Munster rugby's fixture list (http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7714.php).

Jackie Brown
28th-July-2010, 12:21
smileys/biggrin.gif New Years in Limerick then! Looking forward to it already!

buck65
28th-July-2010, 12:43
Last time Ulster played us in the New Year break2 seasons ago they hockeyed us in Limerick. Baaaad christmas.

Waterfordlad
28th-July-2010, 13:29
Last time Ulster played us in the New Year break2 seasons ago they hockeyed us in Limerick. Baaaad christmas.

Remember it well - drove from Wwith some friendsthat evening- freezing cold on the Sount Terrace (-2 C IIRC) and had to drive home after getting stuffed. smileys/sad.gif

kooga made for rugby
29th-July-2010, 05:57
What with being based over here on the mainland, and obviously not born and bred in Munster, and only really becoming a fanatical supporter since I saw my first Munster match in Cardiff in 2008 against Toulouse. I was wondering, is there a big rivalry between Limerick and Cork? How does that work? It must be strange that two fairly large provincial towns in the country have to split 11 Magners League games and 3 HEC games between them – does it lead to much animosity between supporters from either town, when one gets the plum HEC games plus Leinster, Ospreys and Ulster while the other gets Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow &amp; Dragons?

mainland?

Piquet
29th-July-2010, 10:04
What with being based over here on the mainland, and obviously not born and bred in Munster, and only really becoming a fanatical supporter since I saw my first Munster match in Cardiff in 2008 against Toulouse. I was wondering, is there a big rivalry between Limerick and Cork? How does that work? It must be strange that two fairly large provincial towns in the country have to split 11 Magners League games and 3 HEC games between them – does it lead to much animosity between supporters from either town, when one gets the plum HEC games plus Leinster, Ospreys and Ulster while the other gets Aironi, Scarlets, Glasgow &amp; Dragons?

mainland?

...of Europe, obviously. He travelled with the Toulousains in '08 and got converted.

Old Dog
29th-July-2010, 12:10
If the MB had any sense then it would play some if its home ML games in Dublin rather than in that Musgrave Park dump! There are loads more Munster rugby supporters in Dublin than in Cork - FACT! So they'd be guaranteed to fill the RDS for evey game.

Heck, I'd even toddle along myself to support the opposing team. smileys/biggrin.gif

Mack the Knife
29th-July-2010, 12:19

If the MB had any sense then it would play some if its home ML games in Dublin rather than in that Musgrave Park dump!** There are loads more Munster rugby supporters in Dublin than in Cork - FACT!** So they'd be guaranteed to fill the RDS for evey game.

Heck, I'd even toddle along myself to support the opposing team.* smileys/biggrin.gif

And theres more Manchester United fans in London than Manchester, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, far away hills are greener.

kooga made for rugby
29th-July-2010, 12:22
personally i can't wait for friday nights in musgrave...finish work walk over a feed of pints in the horseshoe bar in Turners X and then the game, bus into town after!

tired old cynic
29th-July-2010, 12:49
Is the Horseshoe Bar up for sale?

Old Dog
29th-July-2010, 12:50
And theres more Manchester United fans in London than Manchester, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle, far away hills are greener.

Athníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.

Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin.

Ní thagann ciall roimh aois.

Mack the Knife
29th-July-2010, 12:50
Is today Thursday ?

Duffman
29th-July-2010, 12:52
Just change it to limerick rfc already, take your cork contingent and see how quickly cork rfc are fighting tooth and nail for a challenge cup spot with the men from the west

Mack the Knife
29th-July-2010, 13:02
Just change it to limerick rfc already, take your cork contingent and see how quickly cork rfc are fighting tooth and nail for a challenge cup spot with the men from the west
smileys/lol.gif smileys/lol.gif smileys/lol.gif

Piquet
29th-July-2010, 14:52

Would that be a stand alone "Limerick rfc" or would it incorporate players from "Clare rfc", "Tipp rfc", "Kerry rfc" and "Waterford rfc" ?