PDA

View Full Version : Sky are a joke.

davedowney10
7th-May-2010, 14:46
My father recently purchaced Sky+ HD in a shopping centre in Dublin. It was an offer that included a free sky+ HD box and free installation. We were meant to be getting it instaled today when yesterday night, a sky rep called us saying that they would have to drill 3 holes in 3 diff walls to connect the box to the telephone wire. Why do they make it complicated. I thought that was what the dish was for!smileys/sad.gif

Munstermac
7th-May-2010, 14:56
You have to be connected to a telephone for a HD box, as far as i know.

Woggas
7th-May-2010, 14:58
You have to be connected to a telephone for a HD box, as far as i know.

why?

Munstermac
7th-May-2010, 15:03
So big brother can see what your watching !!! When i got my Hd box about two years ago i had to do it , dont know if they still do probably . But you can order movies at the touch of a button so thats a big audience if you have to connect to a phone line, and the gambling too.

Woggas
7th-May-2010, 15:06
So big brother can see what your watching !!! When i got my Hd box about two years ago i had to do it , dont know if they still do probably . But you can order movies at the touch of a button so thats a big audience if you have to connect to a phone line, and the gambling too.

isn't that the same as the normal sky box though? once it's installed you can just disconnect the phoneline?

ElvisP
7th-May-2010, 15:23
u don't have to use a phone line, i don't....

Munstermac
7th-May-2010, 15:33
Right so , ill shut up now smileys/redface.gif, you can disconnect it after but i thought you had to have a phone line.

Mebawsa Ritchie
7th-May-2010, 15:41
I'm pretty certain it's in the T's & C's that you must keep a phone line connected, for 12 months at least.

carrie
7th-May-2010, 15:55
Cheers davedowney10 I just stole your pic of Paulie and its now my screen saver! Sorry about your sky box tho! smileys/surprised.gifops:

Woggas
7th-May-2010, 16:28
I'm pretty certain it's in the T's & C's that you must keep a phone line connected, for 12 months at least.

how will they know?

John123
7th-May-2010, 16:44
In theory you're supposed to have a phone line attached in order to get a HD+ box but there are ways around it. I had a bog standard box til this week, and when I was on the phone ordering the HD box I was told I'd need to connect it to a phone line. When the electrician arrived on Tuesday I told him I'd prefer not to connect it and he said "grand, they pay me so little for the job I don't care".

By the way, as an existing customer they had quoted me 150 to upgrade box but I told them I was going to leave to Chorus and they dropped the price to 59.

LuckyDucker
7th-May-2010, 17:11
You have to be connected to a telephone for a HD box,
as far as i know.

why?

how will they know?

Some info from google!

Q. Why does my Sky Box have to be connected to the phone line?

You are supposed to keep your box connected to the phone line for one year.

They want you to order Pay Per View Movies and buy stuff using the digibox, when you do it phones out.

The digibox is also asked to phone back about once a month by an over the satellite signal.

If you disconnect it Sky don't seem to ask you to reconnect it, the box will work fine (epg and software updates are done via the Satellite) but you won't be able to use your remote control handset to order Sky Box-Office movies, ppv sports etc.

If you have the multiroom Sky sub with two boxes at one address, both boxes have to be connected to the phone line as part of the contract to make sure you don't go and use one box at another address.

We have Sky+ and since installation have only connected the phone line a handful of times to order ppv sports. Think Sky are mostly concerned with the connection for multiroom customers. They will give them a few warnings & ask them to connect the phone line if it isn't in, before taking action!

Mebawsa Ritchie
7th-May-2010, 17:24
My goodness I was right!smileys/lol.gif

Thanks Ducker! smileys/thumb-up.gif

Bosco
7th-May-2010, 17:29
My goodness I was right!*

bound to happen at some stage.

LuckyDucker
7th-May-2010, 17:48
My goodness I was right!

bound to happen at some stage.

This is a momentous occasion! smileys/lol.gif

Bosco
7th-May-2010, 18:07
He is gone to celebrate

Humpty Dumpty
7th-May-2010, 18:11
You have to be connected to a telephone for a HD box, as far as i know. I am not and we have 2 boxes, they have asked loads of times over the years, all I tell themis my number is private and thats was that. have not heard from them for over a year now.

davedowney10
7th-May-2010, 18:45
Cheers davedowney10 I just stole your pic of Paulie and its now my screen saver! Sorry about your sky box tho! smileys/surprised.gifops:

glad you like it

Bosco
7th-May-2010, 18:46
its too big

davedowney10
7th-May-2010, 18:50
its too big

I know, would you be able to resize it for me please?

RobbieG
1st-July-2010, 08:20
Rang Sky to take off the Sports channels for the summer, however firstly there was the problem of getting through, had to ring back 3 times, the first 2 was on hold for over 5 mins without getting next to near talking to a person, the 3rd time i choose an option other than the 'Remove channels' one and was through within a minutesmileys/confused.gif.

Then they hit me with the line 'we've changed our T&C's, you have to give a month's notice, anytime before it's been immediate.smileys/mad.gif

Also did cut off Setanta sports, through within a minute, no problem getting rid of the package, they did the 5 a month offer for the summer but didn't push it.

fitzy73
1st-July-2010, 08:32
Don't take any bollix Robbie - tell them, that's fine, I will pay but I want to cancel as I am going over to cable. Be hard in your bargaining.

They will wilt, trust me. Sky can only make money if you subscribe, so they are told to keep customers, at whatever cost.

John123
1st-July-2010, 08:33
Sky are b*****ds, there's no need to elborate further.

If Setanta offered their channels for 7/8 long term I think I'd sign up, but 16.99/month is far too tasty considering what they offer. I left them last month after paying 5/month for 3 months. They offered me the same deal again for 3 months, I'd imagine they're struggling badly.

Grandpasimpson
1st-July-2010, 09:03
In theory you're supposed to have a phone line attached in order to get a HD+ box but there are ways around it. I had a bog standard box til this week, and when I was on the phone ordering the HD box I was told I'd need to connect it to a phone line. When the electrician arrived on Tuesday I told him I'd prefer not to connect it and he said "grand, they pay me so little for the job I don't care".

By the way, as an existing customer they had quoted me 150 to upgrade box but I told them I was going to leave to Chorus and they dropped the price to 59.

I had war with Sky about 3 years ago, the installer did the worst imaginable job running in the cables going back and forth over the wall when the easiest option was idiot proof, anyway my wife asked him was he going to leave it like that when she seen it and he shrugged his shoulders and said he didnt get paid enough to do a tidy job! I rang Sky and went mental on them, they eventually sent out the same tool again to do the job the correct and tidy way which was very satisfying seeing him squirm and we even managed to get a cheque off them to pay for the painter to repair the damage done.

kermit
1st-July-2010, 09:06
You are obliged to have a phone line connected for the first 12 months. The initial activiation of the box is done over the phone line for instance. However, you can pay a fee (~30) at the start to waive this, and the box can be activated by the Installer ringing Sky.

DONC
1st-July-2010, 09:06
We have skyHD + poor though only 1. When we rang to get in initially they insisted on phone line. It was a new house in the sticks a bit and wehad decided we were not going to put in a land line as Eircom like to make these things complicated too. Told sky fine so not to bother will go with cable and hey presto this was not a problem anymore.

No. 16
1st-July-2010, 09:26
Just to confirm - I told them I wanted rid of my landline and that I only just got the sky box. They said no problem - you just can't access services through the line. I asked if I'd be notified my box was not phone lined - She said no - it's only if you have multi-room.

I'd be fairly confident you never have to have the box plugged into the phone in the first place if you don't want. Or an option if you have landline would be to activate in a room where there is a phoneline and plug it out and move it right after. I really doubt they'd refuse a potential customer that had no phone line and refused to get one.

Point
1st-July-2010, 09:36
Rang Sky to take off the Sports channels for the summer, however firstly there was the problem of getting through, had to ring back 3 times, the first 2 was on hold for over 5 mins without getting next to near talking to a person, the 3rd time i choose an option other than the 'Remove channels' one and was through within a minutesmileys/confused.gif.

Then they hit me with the line 'we've changed our T&C's, you have to give a month's notice, anytime before it's been immediate.smileys/mad.gif

Also did cut off Setanta sports, through within a minute, no problem getting rid of the package, they did the 5 a month offer for the summer but didn't push it.

It might help if you read the letters they send out. They sent out a letter some time ago advising customers of the changes to the T&Cs.

I rang them to cancel Sky Sports on Monday evening and got through straight away, and while they did ask why I was cancelling it, they didn't make a big deal of it.

RobbieG
1st-July-2010, 12:18

It might help if you read the letters they send out. They sent out a letter some time ago advising customers of the changes to the T&Cs.

I rang them to cancel Sky Sports on Monday evening and got through straight away, and while they did ask why I was cancelling it, they didn't make a big deal of it.

I know, my bad, but who the f really reads all the s**te that comes through your letterbox
It was the waiting to get through that really pissed me off, obviously they must identify you as a valued customer, all those pay per night channels prehaps.smileys/wink.gif

Cowboy
1st-July-2010, 13:11
Did I hear they're upping their charges from september?

bazzyg
1st-July-2010, 14:02
Just to confirm - I told them I wanted rid of my landline and that I only just got the sky box. They said no problem - you just can't access services through the line. I asked if I'd be notified my box was not phone lined - She said no - it's only if you have multi-room.

I'd be fairly confident you never have to have the box plugged into the phone in the first place if you don't want. Or an option if you have landline would be to activate in a room where there is a phoneline and <S&#079;NG>plug it out and move it right after</S&#079;NG>. I really doubt they'd refuse a potential customer that had no phone line and refused to get one.

I think you make their point, if you have multiroom, you could give your neighbour or mate accross townthe 2nd box at the reduced rate.

So they only really care about the phone line when it's multiroom to make sure the 2 or more boxes are in the same house.

Cathal
1st-July-2010, 16:35
Did I hear they're upping their charges from september?

Heard that on their ads on Newstalk recently.

Point
1st-July-2010, 20:08
Rang Sky to take off the Sports channels for the summer, however firstly there was the problem of getting through, had to ring back 3 times, the first 2 was on hold for over 5 mins without getting next to near talking to a person, the 3rd time i choose an option other than the 'Remove channels' one and was through within a minutesmileys/c&#111;nfused.gif.

Then they hit me with the line 'we've changed our T&amp;C's, you have to give a month's notice, anytime before it's been immediate.smileys/mad.gif

It might help if you read the letters they send out. They sent out a letter some time ago advising customers of the changes to the T&amp;Cs.

I know, my bad, but who the f really reads all the s**te that comes through your letterbox
It was the waiting to get through that really pissed me off, obviously they must identify you as a valued customer, all those pay per night channels prehaps.smileys/wink.gif

I read it ! smileys/wink.gif

The pay per night channels are for junior, I swear !