PDA

View Full Version : Guitars

Johnm2501
3rd-September-2009, 09:46
Hey - I need some help... the wife has told me that she is going to buy me a decent guitar for my 30th and has told me to start looking around. I have tried a few now including a few Martins and a Gibson 1970s Custom Heritage... I was looking at a Taylor 312ce yest and liked that a lot... any thoughts/help/advice on what to look for etc? Also can anyone recommmend any good instrument shops in either Lim or Dub?

LeakyBoots
3rd-September-2009, 09:53
I've found Steamboat Music on Steamboat Quay very helpful, certainly for repairs. Bought a semi-acoustic from them aswell and they knocked 60e off it 'cos I got a whole load of other things with it (tuner, strings, strap etc)

Money-wise though, I'd imagine there are places in Cork and Dublin that are cheaper. But then buying local will give you discounts in the future I find.

Balla Boy
3rd-September-2009, 09:57
I'd recommend going out and playing lots and lots. If you're looking for an acoustic, then your in the right area with Taylor, Martin and Gibson. Might be worth adding Takamine to that list.

Or some of the upper end Yamaha's. I went out looking for a Takamine last year and came away with one of their Compass series. That was in the 600-800 range though, so not sure how they stack up at the price levels of a 312ce.

Slaptarse
3rd-September-2009, 09:59
John, once you decide what you want, check out http://www.thomann.de/gb/guitars_and_basses.htmlyou'll probably get it cheaper there

Red Monkey
3rd-September-2009, 10:24
I can second Takamine, lovely acoustic guitars. Certainly worth trying it and seeing if you like them.

Kerry-Exile
3rd-September-2009, 10:25
I'd recommend going out and playing lots and lots. If you're looking for an acoustic, then your in the right area with Taylor, Martin and Gibson. Might be worth adding Takamine to that list.

Or some of the upper end Yamaha's. I went out looking for a Takamine last year and came away with one of their Compass series. That was in the 600-800 range though, so not sure how they stack up at the price levels of a 312ce.

What he said, I'd be dubious about buying online, the only way to be sure a guitar is right for you is to play the model you intend buying, otherwise you'll be bringing it back to a guitar shop to get the action corrected/set up etc. - I've got 300 Crafter acoustic that I'm perfectly happy with ... saying that if someone were to offer me a Martin I'd happily acceptsmileys/wink.gif

joconnell
3rd-September-2009, 10:44
Takamines are great live guitars but sound a little thin - they had a santa fe series a few years back that were lovely though. Martins went a little inconsistent too. For a pure acoustic yamaha guitars are really consistent and if you're going into the upper levels then buy irish and get a lowden - http://www.georgelowden.com/ - you can actually pop up to the factory up north and get a nice one. Lovely folks to deal with and stunning guitars.

markc
3rd-September-2009, 10:48
Some questions needing answers before I could advise properly:

- How long have youbeen playing and how good are you?

- What musical style(s) do you like to play

- Will this guitar mainly be played at home or do you intend gigging it?

- Do you require electronics or are you looking for a pure acoustic instrument

- Approximately how much do you wish to spend?

If you can reply to these queries here or via pm I'd be able to send you a fair bit of info. I've done a lot of research over the past while as I also wanted to buy a really nice acoustic - I eventually settled on a Martin HD-28V that I bought in the US... Stunning machine!

Johnm2501
3rd-September-2009, 11:05
Been playing since I was 17 - had got fairly good and had fancied myself as a guitar player when I was around 18/19/20... as the years have gone by I practiced less and less... I have been playing a bit again recently, but am quite rusty. I like playing rock/indie but also a few trad ballads as well... I would be mainly playing at home for pleasure and no, I would prefer a pure acoustic, but in saying that if it has a pickup it wouldn't be a deal breaker either...

LeakyBoots
3rd-September-2009, 11:23
Not to take away from the topic, but I just bought two 10m mic cables in Future, Sound and Vision... how much do you think I was charged?

markc
3rd-September-2009, 11:31
Been playing since I was 17 - had got fairly good and had fancied myself as a guitar player when I was around 18/19/20... as the years have gone by I practiced less and less... I have been playing a bit again recently, but am quite rusty. I like playing rock/indie but also a few trad ballads as well... I would be mainly playing at home for pleasure and no, I would prefer a pure acoustic, but in saying that if it has a pickup it wouldn't be a deal breaker either...

Sounds good - approx budget?

Johnm2501
3rd-September-2009, 11:38
between 1,000 to 1,500

Kerry-Exile
3rd-September-2009, 12:07
between 1,000 to 1,500

Thats a hell of a budget, my missus would shoot me for daring to mention I'd spend that much on a guitar smileys/lol.gif

markc
3rd-September-2009, 12:30
between 1,000 to 1,500

OK - For that money you need to be careful. You won't be buying any Martin's worth talking about - unless second hand, and you will be at the lower end of the Taylor/Gibson range. Forget Lowdens also. The high end manufacturers all offer guitars for approx 1,000 but they usually just have solid tops only - you don't get solid back and sides and you are really paying for the badge...

In Limerick I recommend you take a look in Steamboat Music at Freshman guitars. For just over 1,000 you can get an all solid, rosewood back and sides, spruce or cedar solid top guitar, grovertuning heads etc. Real nice for the money - only downside is the cases aren't great but if you are not gigging I would not worry too much. A mate of mine has one of these (400 Series) and they are really very nice.

I'd say Yamaha/Takemine would also provide decent guitars in that price range but I don't know much about them.

In Dublin Perfect Pitch carry some nice guitars but to get a decent Martin you would be talking EUR 2,400 approx. Music Maker carry Taylors (I think the 514CE is superb but again more money)...Taylor also brought out a pure acoustic model last year or year before called the GS series - again I'd say they would be about EUR2,000 but they are really nice also.

I'd stay away from buying online, very important to inspect and play any instrument you want to spend that kind of money on. Also bear in mind you could pick up areally nice second hand guitar for that kind of money. Just depends on what you want...

Hope this helps...

Johnm2501
3rd-September-2009, 12:32
Thanks Markc - great advise...

LeakyBoots
3rd-September-2009, 12:35
Markc is spot on there, I've a Freshman, not in that league but they're great guitars.

Those feckin' cables came to 60e for the two incidentally! smileys/shock.gif

Johnm2501
3rd-September-2009, 12:37
Absolute rip off leakyboots! I'd torch the place if I were you!

markc
3rd-September-2009, 13:49
Thanks Markc - great advise...

No worries. Once you have had a look about (almost as much fun as buying one!) let me know if you have any further questions. One thing I should have mentioned. If you have any intention of visiting the USA any time soon hold off and buy the guitar over there. Much bigger selection and great deals with the currency at $1.40. I was lucky, it was $1.60 ish when I bought last year smileys/smile.gif

joconnell
3rd-September-2009, 14:32
You're quite right on the price range mark - you're at 3 grand for a really nice guitar. Takamines are very handy live guitars - very few feedback problems but they sound a bit thin / brittle. Yamaha make gorgeous solid wood guitars and they're amazingly consistent. I worked in a guitar shop for about 3 years and even their cheapest guitar out of the box was set up really nicely. They use damn good parts and the tone is gorgeous. Strangely enough tanglewood do nice mid price solid wood guitars too. You should be able to get a guitar set up any way you want it once the neck is the feel you like - for that type of money you should be able to get the shop to tweak your action and string gauge. Xmusic are very good on that side - Eugene McLoughlin or Colin sullivan in there are two of the best folks for it in Dublin.

markc
3rd-September-2009, 14:52
You're quite right on the price range mark - you're at 3 grand for a really nice guitar. Takamines are very handy live guitars - very few feedback problems but they sound a bit thin / brittle. Yamaha make gorgeous solid wood guitars and they're amazingly consistent. I worked in a guitar shop for about 3 years and even their cheapest guitar out of the box was set up really nicely. They use damn good parts and the tone is gorgeous. Strangely enough tanglewood do nice mid price solid wood guitars too. You should be able to get a guitar set up any way you want it once the neck is the feel you like - for that type of money you should be able to get the shop to tweak your action and string gauge. Xmusic are very good on that side - Eugene McLoughlin or Colin sullivan in there are two of the best folks for it in Dublin.

Yep - 3k is about price for something really nice. I was tempted to go for a Martin D41 which is stunning but did not want to go close to 4k. Collings are also making some beautiful acoustics and Lakewood seem to have come out with a really nice range...

Takemines for me are like Taylors - great plugged in but don't really have that acoustic tone I like. I have no clue about Yamaha's... I have played some half decent Tanglewoods but upwards of EUR1,000 I'd say he can do better...

NiallGK
3rd-September-2009, 15:24
I swear by Tanglewood.

Got one about 10 years ago. I recall playing every instrument in the
shop, Taylors, Loudins, Martins, Takamines, etc.

When I picked up a Tanglewood (high-end model) the sound, both
the tone and volume were incredible for an instrument priced at
under 1K.

Great bass and responds beautifully when you attack. Overall they
have a lovely beefy sound.

Another plus is the pickup. When working in the studio recently the
recording engineer said that he thought it the best acoustic sound he
had ever got from a guitar.