PDA

View Full Version : It was a wet one - and that’s official

Corker
1st-September-2009, 12:05
<H1>Met Éireann confirms summer washout</H1>
<DIV =article-extensi&#111;n>
<DIV =c&#111;ntent>
<H2>RONAN McCREEVY </H2></DIV></DIV>

It’s official. The summer of 2009 was another washout with every part of the country getting higher rainfall than normal.

It was the third wet summer in a row though not as wet as 2007 or 2008.

It was the wettest summer since records began in Valencia in Co Kerry in 1866.

It is traditionally the wettest weather station in Ireland and recorded a phenomenal 614 mms of rain (25 inches) during June, July and August, more than twice the average rainfall.

Mullingar had its wettest summer on record with nearly twice the average amount of rain and more than twice the average amount of rain fell on Johnstown Castle in Co Wexford.

Despite the rainfall, it was on the whole an average summer. Temperatures everywhere, with the exception of Cork Airport, were above normal, as were sunshine levels.

The north and north-west had a better than average summer. The Poulter Index, a formula which measures rainfall, temperature, wind speeds and sunshine, was above average at Belmullet and Malin Head weather stations.

At Dublin’s Phoenix Park station and Birr in Co Offaly the Poulter Index indicated it was an average summer though it hardly felt that way with all the rain.

Dublin actually experienced a better than average August with sunshine and temperatures slightly above normal and rainfall below average. It was the only place in the country in August that experienced below average levels of rainfall.

From Irish Times.com

Red Monkey
1st-September-2009, 12:09
I want a job as a weather thingy mi jig. Sure just make up any old tripe and get paid. Hot and dry this summer they said, i swear there on the pay roll of sun lotion companies.

Dirge
1st-September-2009, 12:12
We had about 10in alone in limerick about 12.30ish today, fecking drowned

John123
1st-September-2009, 12:18
Heat wave next week apparently, bring it on!

1st-September-2009, 12:27
I want a job as a weather thingy mi jig. Sure just make up any old tripe and get paid. Hot and dry this summer they said, i swear there on the pay roll of sun lotion companies.

No actual meterologist would claim to predict the weather with any accuracy up to more than about a week out at most.

Anyone who says:
"It's going to be a good summer this year" or any such thing is a clueless gobs**te and best ignored.

Like that clown on Today FM that everybody bugged the s**t out me about last week.

"This guy said it's going to be a scorching September"
"he doesn't have a clue, he's just guessing"
He's been right before"
"yes, by accident"
"no apparently when the chaffinches w**k in the willow trees it's a sure sign"
"Aggggggghhhhhh"

99_oK?
1st-September-2009, 22:48
Corker,

For once looks like the IT has got it wrong (D'Indo fared better for once... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/now-its-official-sog (http://www.independent.ie/nati&#111;nal-news/now-its-official-soggy-summer-is-wettest-since-records-began-1874370.html) gy-summer-is-wettest-since-records-began-1874370.html It looks like there is climate change in action. Overall it's by far the wettest summer (Jun-Aug incl..) ever recorded in Hibernia. Met Eireann have now revised their measurements (they had rejected a 5" in 3 hours for Kenmare.......).

Maybe we need to go back to basics. What was the real reason for the Ark and why do we now see rainbows....?

Eamo
1st-September-2009, 23:35
Corker,

For once looks like the IT has got it wrong (D'Indo fared better for once... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/now-its-official-sog gy-summer-is-wettest-since-records-began-1874370.html (http://www.independent.ie/nati&#111;nal-news/now-its-official-soggy-summer-is-wettest-since-records-began-1874370.html) It looks like there is climate change in action. Overall it's by far the wettest summer (Jun-Aug incl..) ever recorded in Hibernia. Met Eireann have now revised their measurements (they had rejected a 5" in 3 hours for Kenmare.......).

Maybe we need to go back to basics. What was the real reason for the Ark and why do we now see rainbows....?

Hi Skull

that guy is call Ken Ring (the guy that was on TodayFM) and while I'm the most dogmatic opponent of any pseudo-science you are likely to find (I had until recently a subscription to 'Skeptic' magazine and I wouldn't be unhappy if Richard Branson's first space flight burnt up as long as that jackass from Irish psychics live was on it).I'm not an expert on climate but this guy has been right 3 years in a row now.I think his thesis is that the weather is determined by the phases of the moon but I may be wrong.Maybe he just got lucky but remember folks ridiculed Copernicus back in the day.Personally I'll keep an open mind and judge on the evidence.

I think his website is www.predictweather.com (http://www.predictweather.com) and I know commodities traders in Chicago who pay for his services (Cotton futures etc).I think he said last week that 7-17 Sep will be very good weather here.Let's wait and see.

TheThreeJays
2nd-September-2009, 01:50

No actual meterologist would claim to predict the weather with any accuracy up to more than about a week out at most.

Anyone who says:
"It's going to be a good summer this year" or any such thing is a clueless gobs**te and best ignored.

Like that clown on Today FM that everybody bugged the s**t out me about last week.

"This guy said it's going to be a scorching September"
"he doesn't have a clue, he's just guessing"
He's been right before"
"yes, by accident"
"no apparently when the chaffinches w**k in the willow trees it's a sure sign"
"Aggggggghhhhhh"

Excuse you- wa*king chaffinches is a sure sign of good weather and if they happen to be in a willow tree but wa*king towards an oak, dig in as its going to be a scorcher. Everybody knows that...

Valencia
2nd-September-2009, 05:36
A few years back, we bought a little place near Valentia. Only discovering some weeks later that it was the wettest spot in Irelandsmileys/surprised.gifGreat spot though

As regards this summer, total s**te

Hugged Rugger
2nd-September-2009, 06:41
septembers looking pretty bleak so far anyway

Sandwiches
2nd-September-2009, 06:45
I want a job as a weather thingy mi jig. Sure just make up any old tripe and get paid. Hot and dry this summer they said, i swear there on the pay roll of sun lotion companies.No actual meterologist would claim to predict the weather with any accuracy up to more than about a week out at most.Anyone who says:"It's going to be a good summer this year" or any such thing is a clueless gobs**te and best ignored.Like that clown on Today FM that everybody bugged the s**t out me about last week."This guy said it's going to be a scorching September""he doesn't have a clue, he's just guessing"He's been right before""yes, by accident""no apparently when the chaffinches w**k in the willow trees it's a sure sign""Aggggggghhhhhh"

Well well well.... according to the weather forecast last night, there are signs of an improvement for late in the weekend, early next week. A chance of a "sustained spell of high pressure".

Obviously the weather man was at pains to point out that terms and conditions apply, prices may go down as well as up, please don't come looking for me if it's pissing rain next week after all...etc.etc..

The poor fella. You could see he wanted to give us some good news, but just couldn't quite commit to it yet...

RobbieG
2nd-September-2009, 06:50
This mornings Rainfall radar smileys/sad.gif

http://www.munsterfans.com//uploads/images/RobbieG/A38_Web_radar.gif

lahinch_lass
2nd-September-2009, 09:32
https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_all.cgi?t (https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/wxmap_cgi/cgi-bin/wxmap_all.cgi?type=prod&amp;area=ngp_europeg&amp;prod=prp&amp; dtg=2009090206) ype=prod&amp;area=ngp_europeg&amp;prod=prp&amp;dtg=200909020 6

According to the US Navy after today it sohuld be dry enough Thursday and friday, with Rain arriving into the SW between 6pm Saturday and 6am sunday, and then more again sunday night, with Monday and tuesday being rather wet again.

redster
2nd-September-2009, 09:35
Ahem, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that the summer has been total crap, have a look outside your window. Current weather conditions in Shannon, flogging out of the heavenssmileys/sad.gif

Corker
2nd-September-2009, 09:41
Tis doing that here(Lyon) too today Redster, but that's due to the thunder storms. It's been over 30 degrees every day just about since I arrived 3 weeks ago, and was hitting 40 last week and the week before smileys/cool.gif(Though I have to admit that was a touch too hot)

McCloud
2nd-September-2009, 10:15
Fecking horrible in Ennissmileys/sad.gif

joenah
2nd-September-2009, 10:16
three in a row

whats really worrying is the thought that this is it now forever .... summer will become monsoon season

doesn't even bear thinking about

McCloud
2nd-September-2009, 10:26
three in a row

whats really worrying is the thought that this is it now forever .... summer will become monsoon season

doesn't even bear thinking about

Just imagine if the Gulf Stream does move as has been suggested we will have artic winters and monsoon from May to October....

Corker
2nd-September-2009, 10:47
Divine intervention is now being sought ....................

From IrishTimes.com
<H1>Mass goers asked to pray for sunshine</H1>
<DIV style="CLEAR: left"></DIV>

KILIAN DOYLE

The Bishop of Ferns has asked Mass goers in his diocese to pray for fine weather for farmers this month.

In making the appeal, Dr Denis Brennan, said he was conscious of the difficulties being faced by many involved in agriculture.

“This current spell of very bad weather is causing added pain and anxiety to people already under pressure and it constitutes a real threat to the livelihoods and well being of many in rural areas,” he said.

Met Éireann confirmed yesterday that this year's summer was a washout, with every single weather station in the country recording rainfall levels above normal.

After from a promising start, the rain started to fall in late June and kept falling. An average Irish summer has between 32 and 38 wet days, the summer of 2009 had an average of between 43 and 52 wet days.

Aside from the rain, it was an average or above average summer. While rainfall levels were above average, so too were the temperature and sunshine levels, helped by a glorious June, which acted only as a prelude for a disappointing July and August.

The Irish Farmers Association warned last month that of grain production in the State is in doubt following two poor harvests with low financial returns.

Colum McDonnell, an extensive grain producer and chairman of the national grain committee of the Irish Farmers’ Association, estimated up to 50,000 hectares of land are no longer in grain production after last year’s harvest.

He said crop returns for two years running will fall significantly below the cost of production and most growers will lose between €40-€50 a tonne of grain based on the price of between €90-€100 per tonne they are being offered.

“These levels of losses are not sustainable,” Mr McDonnell said. “Grain prices are always on the floor this time of the year as harvest pressure peaks across Europe and traders move to offload surplus stocks at fire sale prices. Once the harvest is complete and surplus stocks are moved, the trade pulls back from selling and prices invariably rise.”

2nd-September-2009, 10:48
Weather is depressing tbhsmileys/cry.gif

rathbaner
2nd-September-2009, 10:54
From what I can make out, the Irish summer is basically a high
pressure area normally over the Azores which moves northward til it's
over Ireland. This stops the rain coming in from the Atlantic and keeps
the sky blue.

Howver if the jet stream is running to the south of Ireland it prevents
the Azores high from getting that far north and instead rain is funnelled
in from the Atlantic across the country.

This summer, typically the jet stream has run south over Ireland and
across SE Britain. So London's burning while the rest of blighty and us
are under water.

bazzyg
2nd-September-2009, 10:56
I 'think' i wouldn't mind the Arctic/Monsoon thing, at least we would have snow some of the time, as it is now it is 12 months of muck.

I'm sure i'm not thinking it through but a few useful months of something would be nice

rathbaner
2nd-September-2009, 10:57
Oh yea, forgot to mention the point of the post; the long term predictors
look at the likely position jet stream and predict on that basis. North of
Ireland in May (likely sunny), moving south in June (getting worse),
south of us in July and Aug (pissing down)and moving northward again
in Sept (improving as the kids go back to school).

RobbieG
2nd-September-2009, 10:59
Can't believe actually had a BBQ &amp; beers on Sat evening, been raining ever since thensmileys/sad.gif

hawkeye77
2nd-September-2009, 12:09
This mornings Rainfall radar smileys/sad.gif

http://www.munsterfans.com//uploads/images/RobbieG/A38_Web_radar.gif

Time to power up the outboard motor to get home from work!! smileys/shock.gif

fairway hunter
2nd-September-2009, 12:33
Corker,

For once looks like the IT has got it wrong (D'Indo fared better for once... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/now-its-official-sog gy-summer-is-wettest-since-records-began-1874370.html (http://www.independent.ie/nati&#111;nal-news/now-its-official-soggy-summer-is-wettest-since-records-began-1874370.html) It looks like there is climate change in action. Overall it's by far the wettest summer (Jun-Aug incl..) ever recorded in Hibernia. Met Eireann have now revised their measurements (they had rejected a 5" in 3 hours for Kenmare.......).

Hi Skull

that guy is call Ken Ring (the guy that was on TodayFM) and while I'm the most dogmatic opponent of any pseudo-science you are likely to find (I had until recently a subscription to 'Skeptic' magazine and I wouldn't be unhappy if Richard Branson's first space flight burnt up as long as that jackass from Irish psychics live was on it)</span>.I'm not an expert on climate but this guy has been right 3 years in a row now.I think his thesis is that the weather is determined by the phases of the moon but I may be wrong.Maybe he just got lucky but remember folks ridiculed Copernicus back in the day.Personally I'll keep an open mind and judge on the evidence.

I think his website is www.predictweather.com (http://www.predictweather.com) and I know commodities traders in Chicago who pay for his services (Cotton futures etc).I think he said last week that 7-17 Sep will be very good weather here.Let's wait and see.

if he was any good then he wouldn't be on it i'd say

sparks
2nd-September-2009, 15:31
The weather forum on boards.ie is a fountain of meteorlogical information

Eamo
6th-September-2009, 20:51
next 10 days or so is showtime for Mr Ring.I listened in March when he said 7-17th for hot sunny Irish weather.

shanners
6th-September-2009, 21:02
Its going to start pissing again tomorrow afternoon.

McCloud
6th-September-2009, 21:11
next 10 days or so is showtime for Mr Ring.I listened in March when he said 7-17th for hot sunny Irish weather.

He's been on RTE and Today FM andother radio shows for a number of years and got it right so no show time for him.

Eamo
6th-September-2009, 22:40
Yep you are correct Mc Cloud he has had it spot on for the last 2 years.I'd just like him to nail it this time round also if only to lend credence to his controversial theories re climate prediction in general and more importantly man made climate change.

99_oK?
7th-September-2009, 16:45
Ken got it wrong though this time - 7th September nearly over and it's still p**sing it down outside....smileys/sad.gif

But anyone could have predicted that the weather would improve at the beginning of September - shure that's when the schools go back....smileys/wink.gif

Seriously thought, it looks like his prediction is a day out. Jetstream is moving north as we speak and after this depression has passed we will become the centre of an anticyclone and they are notoriously difficult to budge. Dry bright weather starting tomorrow afternoon (brightness may not reach E coast before dusk...)and keeping that way for at least a week. Winds going NE/variable on Wed. Sun-tan/barbie/painting/gardening/lounging/take-your-pick weather on the way....smileys/biggrin.gif

Hopelessly Devoted
7th-September-2009, 16:51
Ken got it wrong though this time - 7th September nearly over and it's still p**sing it down outside....smileys/sad.gif

But anyone could have predicted that the weather would improve at the beginning of September - shure that's when the schools go back....smileys/wink.gif

Seriously thought, it looks like his prediction is a day out. Jetstream is moving north as we speak and after this depression has passed we will become the centre of an anticyclone and they are notoriously difficult to budge. Dry bright weather starting tomorrow afternoon (brightness may not reach E coast before dusk...)and keeping that way for at least a week. Winds going NE/variable on Wed. Sun-tan/barbie/painting/gardening/lounging/take-your-pick weather on the way....smileys/biggrin.gif

If this doesn't happen, I will hunt you down. smileys/wink.gif

7th-September-2009, 17:51
Met Eireann says the week ahead will be 17-20 and sunny!
Any chance he could shine up his balls and have a look at our economic climate?

glorob
7th-September-2009, 17:55
Met Eireann says the week ahead will be 17-20 and sunny!
Any chance he could shine up his balls and have a look at our economic climate?

The economic outlook is poor.

Eamo
21st-September-2009, 20:23
All hail ken ring

McCloud
21st-September-2009, 20:29
All hail ken ring

Indeed he seems to do better then the lot we watch on RTE who are working on a 3 day forecast......