PDA

View Full Version : being injured

bazz
26th-August-2009, 20:39
alright lads im 15 and i broke my ankle der training monday night, got two screws put in.smileys/sad.gif

are there any exercises i can do t stay fit?

No Bother
26th-August-2009, 21:05
talk to your doctor and physio, at 15 your still growing and should really seek advice from the professionals with knowledge of your injury.

26th-August-2009, 21:07
Did you trying talking to your doc or physio?there might be some upper body tasks you can do? Just mind yourself ! or trying typing or searching your query online x

fairway hunter
26th-August-2009, 21:08
you will probably be in plaster for 4 to 6 weeks depending on the type of fracture and how secure the fixation was. after that you will be referred to physiotherapy for ankle rehab. in the meantime there is nothing to stop you performing appropriate upper body exercises.

McCloud
26th-August-2009, 21:09
talk to your doctor and physio, at 15 your still growing and should really seek advice from the professionals with knowledge of your injury.

Agree.

gavmurf
26th-August-2009, 21:11
**MOD EDIT - topic starter is 15. Please bear that in mind, thanks***
</span>

Random_punter
27th-August-2009, 04:56
alright lads im 15 and i broke my ankle der training monday night, got two screws put in.smileys/sad.gif

Swimming might work if you can brace the ankle. Its the only one that I can think of that has no impact. Also get yourself a set of dumbells. Disclaimersmileys/wink.gif: Don't do any of the above without running it by a physio first.

bobbin
27th-August-2009, 05:03

Swimming might work if you can brace the ankle. Its the only one that I can think of that has no impact. Also get yourself a set of dumbells. Disclaimersmileys/wink.gif: Don't do any of the above without running it by a physio first.

When you get the cast of get a bike and hit the road. Great non weight bearing excercise

seanp
27th-August-2009, 06:44

On thisday last year I did the very same thing. Asyou mentioned your 15 put you milking boots on and rest. Keep your foot high and the TV remote close.

When you get the cast off do your stretching exercises that are given to you as I noticed this weekend I don't have the same range of movement in both ankles because I was lazy about the exercises.

MOST OF ALL AT THE MOMENT YOUR FOOT NEEDS REST.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL ON CRUTCHES.

My2Cents
27th-August-2009, 07:09

On thisday last year I did the very same thing. Asyou mentioned your 15 put you milking boots on and rest. Keep your foot high and the TV remote close. </span>

When you get the cast off do your stretching exercises</span> that are given to you as I noticed this weekend I don't have the same range of movement in both ankles because I was lazy about the exercises.

MOST OF ALL AT THE MOMENT YOUR FOOT NEEDS REST.

BE VERY VERY CAREFUL ON CRUTCHES.

+1
I did the same thing when I was 15, many moons ago, you won't lose much fitness by taking it easy for a few weeks.
Listen to the physio and do the exercises, you'll be back in training in no time (and pining for all that quality daytime TV!)

LLCOOLJ14
27th-August-2009, 07:11

Ive broke mine twice, so know exactly what it feels like. Ended up having to get an op the 2nd time, as after the initial 'healing' and rehab (6months in all) it was still swelling and just not right.

The hospital should have recommended a physio to you, or will do when you go back after your initial rest period, where you really should do nothing. They will give you stretching exercises to begin with, then exercises where you put your body weight on it (like a balance board etc-youd be amazed how your centre of gravity will be thrown off for a while)

Once Id done 2 weeks of that, I was approved for swimming/aqua jogging

After 4 weeks of that (3 times a week X 40 mins) and the daily stretching, they had me back in doing some limited weight work (the muscle on your damaged leg will of course shrink as its not being used) but this is generally quicky recovered....and then pilates and spin class (while they sound girlish, they are actually very good)....

While you may need an ankle suporrt early on in your rehab, get rid of it as soon as possible...had some very good people advise me the longer you use it, the more the body comes to rely on it and its harder to get back without it.

The key is to take things slowly and dont push anything...as others have pointed out, and as your younger than me and still growing, your programme/recovery rate etc will of course be slightly differant and should be undertaken with professional advice. The above was just to give you a flavour of the things out there...

John123
27th-August-2009, 07:12
It will be difficult to do any exercise of huge benefit at your age with a broken ankle. Just make sure to rest the ankle and you'll be back in no time.