PDA

View Full Version : leinster fan in thomond

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 14:11
first of all i wanna say hello to everyone on the site. this is my first post so let me tell you a little bit about myself.

im a huge munster fan, im 28 years old and ive just moved back to ireland after living in new zealand for 4 years.

ok........ lets get to the topic, was drinking in my local saturday night wearing one of my munster jerseys when one of the lads i used to play rugby with (hes a huge leinster fan) started chatting to me about the new thomond park. he showed me some pics on the phone and i was well impressed with the new stadium.

he then told me he was at the ospreys game last season and wore his leinster jersey. his wife is die hard munster and her dad got them tickets . he said some of the munster supporters didn't see the joke and started heckling and insulting him and his wife (she was wearing her munster shirt). it got so bad they had to leave.

so im asking the forum is this a common occurance or is it just a select few supporters who have developed a hatred for leinster.

all opinions welcome, thanks guys smileys/smile.gif

29th-July-2009, 14:16
Happens quite a lot, I am surprised he was allowed to leave of his own volition

de berries
29th-July-2009, 14:16
The same thing would have happened in the RDS to a Munster Fan.

It was a sure fire way of drawing attention to himself and he drew it upon himself IMOsmileys/sad.gif

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 14:19
What a stupid opening post, clearly a WUM.

JoeyFantastic
Tbf, I don't agree with him being heckled, but I don't see what your
mate was hoping to achieve by wearing the jersey?

Jenta
He was lucky to survive.

tickettout
29th-July-2009, 14:20
Tell him to build a bridge and get over it.

rookie
29th-July-2009, 14:22
Heckling is one thing but insulting the man and his wife is another. I agree with DB that he brought it upon himself but christ who care's what jersey he is wearing. There would be alot of kids in TP that heard the insulting and left thinking it is the norm which is wrong.

lid1978
29th-July-2009, 14:24
TBF if it was an ulster/connacht supporter wearing his ulster/connacht jersey there would probably be no problem - a bit sad I think - shouldn't happen...

tickettout
29th-July-2009, 14:26
He was lucky to survive.

Exactlysmileys/lol.gifHes lucky I didn't catch him and hes lucky x 2 I didn't catch him after 10 pints of stella.

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 14:30
If its true it would be fairly clear that the ladyboy was getting a good wind up and couldn't take it and left the ground with a big tomato head whilst his wife rightly was getting her arse pinched as she made her way the crowdsmileys/wink.gif. He hassincehad a massive chip on his shoulder.

Munsterboy
29th-July-2009, 14:33
FFS lads. The man has a right to wear whatever jersey he wants and shout for whatever team he wants without getting abuse from anyone. A bit of friendly banter is fine but heckling and abuse is wrong, plain and simple. smileys/sad.gif

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 14:35

sorry you think my post isn't a good one. and i'd love to know what a wum is?

Harry
29th-July-2009, 14:36
so im asking the forum is this a common occurance or is it just a select few supporters who have developed a hatred for leinster.

No, we all hate them, anyone who says otherwise is not a true Munster fan.

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 14:38

Don't worry about it.

rookie

No, we all hate them, anyone who says otherwise is not a true Munster fan.

smileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gifsmileys/lol.gif

duffbeer2000
i have worn my munster and irish jerseys all over new zealand for the past four years and not once did i receive anything more than a bit of friendly banter.

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 14:40
i have worn my munster and irish jerseys all over new zealand for the past four years and not once did i receive anything more than a bit of friendly banter.

What Ospreys game was it? The Heineken cup QF?

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 14:40

Don't worry about it.

oh im not worried about it. just thought if you were calling me something you might have the manners to tell me what it is?

Butty
29th-July-2009, 14:42
Damn I could have done with that man's jersey..........they ran out of jax roll in the ladiestoilet that day.

In fairness its a bit of a mad thing to do unless your team is playing but you and whoever you are with shouldnt get hassled for it. You should be able to wear what you want.

On the other hand if someone wears socks and sandals they should be shot on sight. Its only right.

joconnell
29th-July-2009, 14:42

A wum is a wind up merchant and basically it means that any time someone posts anything negative about the home side on it, it's only done as a cheap way to get a reaction from certain posters. The bile between leinster and munster is higher than the other provinces so it probably did happen - you're always bound to get a few cock ends in every ground that'll say something. No need for it but it's gonna keep happening.

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 14:43
it was the heino cup i think

Arthur Guinness
29th-July-2009, 14:47
it was the <S&#079;NG><S&#079;NG>heino</S&#079;NG></S&#079;NG> cup i think

Spoken like a true Leinster supporter.smileys/biggrin.gif

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 14:48
believe me im no wind up merchant, was just a bit surprised by what he was telling me so i thought i'd ask the guys who are in thomond week in week out. its been four years since ive seen munster in musgrave or thomond and not once did i ever experience and bad blood.

it was always just a bit of slagging and friendly banter smileys/smile.gif

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 14:49

Well If you knew how difficult it was to get tickets for that match then I'm sure you would understand more. To turn up at that match wearing a Leinster jersey is very stupid when there was thousands of fans who attended pool matches left without tickets.

Jenta
29th-July-2009, 14:53
I once saw a lad in a Leinster jersey beaten within an inch of his life and hung from the old west stand, and that was at a Magners League game.

Good thing the redevelopment went ahead or he'd probably still be there.

Tackle Bag
29th-July-2009, 14:54
Were we not the ones saying giving out a few months ago when people were saying it was a disgrace that munster fans were wearing their jerseys to the HC Final?

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 14:56

Well If you knew how difficult it was to get tickets for that match then I'm sure you would understand more. To turn up at that match wearing a Leinster jersey is very stupid when there was thousands of fans who attended pool matches left without tickets.

good point. i never thought of saying that to him. he got his tickets from his wife's dad. hes a season ticket holder i think.

i do agree with you guys that he should be able to wear whatever jersey he wants.............. any time ive ever seen leinster i'd never wear munster colours.

he holds no bad feeling towards munster orour supporters........ he was just a bit shocked

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 14:59
Were we not the ones saying giving out a few months ago when people were saying it was a disgrace that munster fans were wearing their jerseys to the HC Final?

They were giving tickets away for freeoutside that game. Nobody was left outside and this IS our home stadium not Murrayfield.

Tobyglen
29th-July-2009, 15:02

good point. i never thought of saying that to him. he got his tickets from his wife's dad. hes a season ticket holder i think.

i do agree with you guys that he should be able to wear whatever jersey he wants.............. any time ive ever seen leinster i'd never wear munster colours.

he holds no bad feeling towards munster orour supporters........ he was just a bit shocked

Fair enough and at any other match that wouldn't be a problem but tickets were like golddust that day. There islittle animosity between the fans anyway, mostly a bit of slagging.

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 15:03
i watched the hcf on tv.......... looked like there was alot of the red army there. great to see for irish sport

joconnell
29th-July-2009, 15:05
Some folks are nasty about it, some aren't, you can pull up examples on both sides fairly handily.

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 15:06

Fair enough and at any other match that wouldn't be a problem but tickets were like golddust that day. There islittle animosity between the fans anyway, mostly a bit of slagging.

a bit of slagging is grand.......... he did put a target on his back by wearing the leinster shirt, lol but that was to annoy his wife smileys/smile.gif just a bad call on his part

Dave Cahill
29th-July-2009, 15:13
I once saw a lad in a Leinster jersey beaten within an inch of his life and hung from the old west stand, and that
was at a Magners League game.Good thing the redevelopment went ahead or he'd probably still be there.

Was it this lad?

http://www.munsterfans.com//uploads/images/Harry/2006-04-22_203659_Jamieladyboy_004.jpg

Jenta
29th-July-2009, 15:16
Damn you Cahill.

wayen
29th-July-2009, 15:16
smileys/lol.gif

duffbeer2000
29th-July-2009, 15:20
lol smileys/razz.gif

Dean93
29th-July-2009, 15:21
what a stupid thing to do smileys/mad.gif

eddie
29th-July-2009, 15:31

It was a sure fire way of drawing attention to himself and he drew it upon himself IMOsmileys/sad.gif

No actually there would be banter not abuse. Some fans inMunster have a very LARGE chip on their shoulders regarding Leinster. It's sad. They can't enjoy the matches for what they are. It always has to be lets make Leinster a Dublin team &amp; then lets make it a we hate Dublin thing.

As for "he drew it upon himself IMOhttp://www.munsterfans.com/forum/smileys/sad.gif"he was with his wife and father-inlaw not a bunch of as&amp;holes trying to wind plp up. He was joking around wit his family. Get a Fuc*kin a grip

eddie
29th-July-2009, 15:38
If its true it would be fairly clear that the ladyboy was getting a good wind up and couldn't take it and left the ground with a big tomato head whilst his wife rightly was getting her arse pinched as she made her way the crowdsmileys/wink.gif. He hassincehad a massive chip on his shoulder.

That reads like you are describing quite a lot of the Munster fans leaving Crocker 15mins before the final whistle

ListryMurphy
29th-July-2009, 15:43
Ah here, there were loads of people trying to get tickets for that match. Fine, wear a leinster top on a day where we are playing Leinster. I'd expect a fair bit of banter to be fair. then again i wore my munster jersey to the Dublin V Westmeath leinster semi coz i had it on fr the neilyoung gig after. A bit of craic i can tell you. But you get people everywhere who go neyond the banter.

Loop
29th-July-2009, 15:52
Jebus. A Leinster shirt at TP ! Must have been a failed attempt to qualify for the Darwin Awardssmileys/lol.gif

Paulie Walnuts
29th-July-2009, 15:54

No actually there would be banter not abuse. Some fans inMunster have a very LARGE chip on their shoulders regarding Leinster. It's sad. They can't enjoy the matches for what they are. It always has to be lets make Leinster a Dublin team &amp; then lets make it a we hate Dublin thing.

As for "he drew it upon himself IMOhttp://www.munsterfans.com/forum/smileys/sad.gif"he was with his wife and father-inlaw not a bunch of as&amp;holes trying to wind plp up. He was joking around wit his family. Get a Fuc*kin a grip

You mean to saythat they aren't a Dublin team (and please spare me the Reggie Corrigan simplicities)? And when some plummy-accentedtossers are acting the maggot its 'banter' , but off us rough culchies its 'abuse'. You'd want to get a fuc*in' grip , me lad, and get your blue-tinted googles off ye as well. I have experience of some right darlings at the RDS and after Croke Park, many of us here could point to things, the result of the jealous obsessions of many Leinster fans ,which may abate now that they have won the HEC. As said, there are fools on boths sides. Get over yourself, boyeen.

shanners
29th-July-2009, 15:56
first of all i wanna say hello to everyone on the site. this is my first post so let me tell you a little bit about myself.

im a huge munster fan, im 28 years old and ive just moved back to ireland after living in new zealand for 4 years.

ok........ lets get to the topic, was drinking in my local saturday night wearing one of my munster jerseys when one of the lads i used to play rugby with (hes a huge leinster fan) started chatting to me about the new thomond park. he showed me some pics on the phone and i was well impressed with the new stadium.

he then told me he was at the ospreys game last season and wore his leinster jersey. his wife is die hard munster and her dad got them tickets . he said some of the munster supporters didn't see the joke and started heckling and insulting him and his wife (she was wearing her munster shirt). it got so bad they had to leave.

I'm not sure why someone would wear a Leinster jersey, to a Munster v Ospreys match, but he has the right to wear what he wants to wear.

He was probably unfortunate to be near a couple of tossers. Most Munster fans, that would feel the need to make a comment, would have gave a bit of friendly slagging.

tickettout
29th-July-2009, 15:57

You mean to saythat they aren't a Dublin team (and please spare me the Reggie Corrigan simplicities)? And when some plummy-accentedtossers are acting the maggot its 'banter' , but off us rough culchies its 'abuse'. You'd want to get a fuc*in' grip , me lad, and get your blue-tinted googles off ye as well. I have experience of some right darlings at the RDS and after Croke Park, many of us here could point to things, the result of the jealous obsessions of many Leinster fans ,which may abate now that they have won the HEC. As said, there are fools on boths sides. Get over yourself, boyeen.

Fools on both sides?, you're the biggest on our side.

someoneelse
29th-July-2009, 16:03
you'll always get idiots!!! However, usually true Munster people know the line.

I guess you can never underestimate stupidity thou.

Is this type of stuff a by product of a bigger stadium? Had loads of advantages, maybe has a few disadv's aswell.

Like during the NZ game where someguy told my father that "stringer is really 6ft and only looks small cause he's standing beside big people!!!!!"

eddie
29th-July-2009, 16:14

Mr. Walnuts do you know which teamI support? Get educated "boyeen"

RED 49
29th-July-2009, 17:13

not true,2 years ago i was wearing a munster jersey at the rds,was in the leinster supporters bar and they kept buying me drink,said it was great to have a supporter of the heineken cup winners in their presence ,they thought the bar would never have one in itsmileys/wink.gif. sorted out since last year

JoeyFantastic
29th-July-2009, 17:31
The same thing would have happened in the RDS to a Munster
Fan.

It was a sure fire way of drawing attention to himself and he drew
it upon himself IMOsmileys/sad.gif*

No actually there would be banter not abuse. Some fans
in*Munster have a very LARGE chip on their shoulders regarding
Leinster. It's sad. They can't enjoy the matches for what they are. It
always has to be lets make Leinster a Dublin team & then lets make
it a we hate Dublin thing.

As for "he drew it upon himself
IMOhttp://www.munsterfans.com/forum/smileys/sad.gif"
*he was with his wife and father-inlaw not a bunch of as&holes trying
to wind plp up. He was joking around wit his family. Get a Fuc*kin a
grip

You mean to say*that *they aren't a Dublin team (and please spare
me the Reggie Corrigan simplicities)*? *And when some plummy-
accented*tossers are acting the maggot its 'banter' , but off us rough
culchies its 'abuse'. You'd want to get a fuc*in' grip , me lad, and get
your blue-tinted googles off ye as well. I have experience of some
right darlings at the RDS and after Croke Park, many of us here
could point to things,* the result of the jealous obsessions of many
Leinster fans ,which may abate now that they have won the HEC. As
said, there are fools on boths sides. Get over yourself, boyeen.

Which one of you is the pot?

davidos
29th-July-2009, 17:42
Someone should be able to wear what ever jersey they want. What applied at the H Cup final is also relevant in TP.

This Leinster - Munster thing has gonetoo far, and it is only a matter of time that someone is assaulted because of the jersey they were wearing. Most people know where to draw the line with banter, but there are idiots who don't.

English football in the 70's did not tackle hooligan behaviour when it started and look where that went.

Edit: And ifan incidentdoes happen, the Irish Times with their 'sad' comment can also take some of the blame.

RED 49
29th-July-2009, 17:46
[QUOTE=de berries]

The same thing would have happened in the RDS to a Munster

Fan.

It was a sure fire way of drawing attention to himself and he drew

it upon himself IMOsmileys/sad.gif

No actually there would be banter not abuse. Some fans

inMunster have a very LARGE chip on their shoulders regarding

Leinster. It's sad. They can't enjoy the matches for what they are. It

always has to be lets make Leinster a Dublin team &amp; then lets make

it a we hate Dublin thing.

As for "he drew it upon himself

IMOhttp://www.munsterfans.com/forum/smileys/sad.gif"

he was with his wife and father-inlaw not a bunch of as&amp;holes trying

to wind plp up. He was joking around wit his family. Get a Fuc*kin a

grip

You mean to saythat they aren't a Dublin team (and please spare

me the Reggie Corrigan simplicities)? And when some plummy-

accentedtossers are acting the maggot its 'banter' , but off us rough

culchies its 'abuse'. You'd want to get a fuc*in' grip , me lad, and get

your blue-tinted googles off ye as well. I have experience of some

right darlings at the RDS and after Croke Park, many of us here

could point to things, the result of the jealous obsessions of many

Leinster fans ,which may abate now that they have won the HEC. As

said, there are fools on boths sides. Get over yourself, boyeen.

Which one of you is the pot?[/QUOTE

or are they on itsmileys/lol.gif

sparks
29th-July-2009, 17:48
Only one word for him - MUPPET</span>!

someoneelse
29th-July-2009, 17:50

not true,2 years ago i was wearing a munster jersey at the rds,was in the leinster supporters bar and they kept buying me drink,said it was great to have a supporter of the heineken cup winners in their presence ,they thought the bar would never have one in itsmileys/wink.gif. sorted out since last year

you'd hope we'd have the class to do that, fair play to them

de berries
29th-July-2009, 17:58

Eddie - would your little fanny fit be best described by you as "abuse" or "banter" ?

busbi
29th-July-2009, 18:00
Was there any inspectors there to pick him out, find out what club he got the ticket from and ensure that club lost their rights to tickets for future games?........smileys/wink.gif

eddie
29th-July-2009, 18:01
Eddie - would your little fanny fit be best described by you as "abuse" or "banter" ?

I guess thats me toldsmileys/lol.gif. More of a rant really. Idiot fanslike your goodselfreally pi55 me off

Stringer9
29th-July-2009, 18:05

Ah bless there's a tissue for ya darlin.

I don't think anyone here needs to go into some of the things they experienced at Leinster games in Dublin. I mean build a bridge.

Those tickets were gold. He strolls in wearing his Leinster jersey while you've got Munster supporters at home who couldn't get tickets having to watch it on tv. Ya he might have ended up sitting next to a tool and got a bit of abuse, but you'll get those type of people wherever you go. Especially if it's a HC quarter final and the tickets were like fairy dust. He was always going to get some sort of "heckling." I'd say abuse is going to far, I'd say it was a bit of typical banter and he got a bit too sensitive.

As for hating Dublin..

eddie
29th-July-2009, 18:08

Ah bless there's a tissue for ya darlin. Thanks Pumpkin x

I don't think anyone here needs to go into some of the things they experienced at Leinster games in Dublin. I mean build a bridge.

Those tickets were gold. He strolls in wearing his Leinster jersey while you've got Munster supporters at home who couldn't get tickets having to watch it on tv. Ya he might have ended up sitting next to a tool and got a bit of abuse, but you'll get those type of people wherever you go. Especially if it's a HC quarter final and the tickets were like fairy dust. He was always going to get some sort of "heckling." I'd say abuse is going to far, I'd say it was a bit of typical banter and he got a bit too sensitive.

As for hating Dublin..

RED 49
29th-July-2009, 18:26
reckon everyone has stories about what happened to them wearing their own colours at a match they are not involved in,my own brother living in yorkshire drove to edinburgh wore a blue t shirt to heineken cup final along with 6 of his pals wearing munster jerseys,he said some of the abuse they got at the final from a small band of leinster supporters was awful,one guy a d4 as my brother called him was going on and on with what the f**k are ye doing here wearing that f*****g jersey spoiling our daysmileys/shock.gif

just making the point its not uncommon and unfortunately all clubs have that kind of element supporting them and some of them even post on supporters websites constantly ,aka wum's.

de berries
29th-July-2009, 18:27

I guess thats me toldsmileys/lol.gif. More of a rant really. Idiot fanslike your goodselfreally pi55 me off

You are very easily "Pissed off" - a bit of anger management perhaps ?

Cleffies
29th-July-2009, 19:06
I chose to wear my Munster shirt to the Final.I was with friends..1 wearing Leinster colours and the rest just t-shirts etc.

Mostly friendly banter although as the night went on my friend in the Leinster jersey got stick and nasty comments about hanging out with the Munster scum etc.

All this came from lads in late teens early 20's,We are all in our 40's so laughed most of it off but got the feeling that there is a lot of hatred there amongst the younger up and coming fans.

Looking back We felt that there seemed to be an under current there that I think will at some stage lead to violence.smileys/sad.gif

anthonyk
29th-July-2009, 19:44
Up untill the semi final i would have welcomed any leinster supporter, the s**t myself and the wife got before and after the game was unreal and again in murryfield and no munster jersey over there, so to hell with them. Also where did the c**t get a ticket. They where hard to get for that game with out wasting one on him.

crowl1
29th-July-2009, 19:56
Many munsterfans wore red at the final this year , i did not in anticipation of abuse or so call WUMing bater, I was in a group of 7 or so munster fans many who wore the home jersey, a small minority of LFdid land outbanter thatcould be interpreted as abusebut it was a small minority, most LF were very glad we came out and cheered for them.

There isoften a thin line difference between banter and abuse , often the people handing out abuse think it is actually banter butit comes down to different sense of humours ,whilst some people are over sensitive , somehave an aggressive sense of humour, some are insecure A***holesthat try toput others down to build their own status.

Personnelly I couldnt care less what shirt the guy was wearing as long as he raised his voice for Munster. If he was lucky enough to get a ticket then Sin Sin, his wife was there.

The rivalry between us and leinster is good, good banter between fans, good rivalrybetween the squads the competition means we both push oursleves forward to better each other for the better of Irish Rugby ,although i cheered for leinster in the final i will be cheering against themnext year untilwe are out and then I will back the Irish teams.

For gods sake not lets turn into football fans, our sportdeserves much better from us.

Ruck Savage
29th-July-2009, 20:04
Maybe he was there to give 2 fingers to Munster fans who couldn't
get a ticket to that match.

Or maybe I'm bitter and twisted that I couldn't go to the game.

whynot
29th-July-2009, 20:53

he then told me he was at the ospreys game last season and wore his leinster jersey. his wife is die hard munster and her dad got them tickets . he said some of the munster supporters* didn't see the joke and started heckling and insulting him and his wife (she was wearing her munster shirt). it got so bad they had to leave.

whynot
29th-July-2009, 20:59

he then told me he was at the ospreys game last season and wore his leinster jersey. his wife is die hard munster and her dad got them tickets . he said some of the munster supporters* didn't see the joke and started heckling and insulting him and his wife (she was wearing her munster shirt). it got so bad they had to leave.

you are a nob those things happen in the pale not here so fcuk off

Scubabear
30th-July-2009, 00:36
Is it just me or is a bit silly to be wading in on either side, without actually knowing what was said. Forgive me if I missed it, little tired to read every single line. But what is heckling to one person, is banter to another.

Some people are not able for crowds. Like the muppets in the stands that don't like people jumping up to celebrate a try etc.

seanp
30th-July-2009, 02:38

Because it's better then going in the nude. What he was hoping to achieve was to watch a game of rugby what the f**k does it matter what he wears of for what reasons.

What do you want a soccer style grounds where there is a dress code. Munster fans there should have backed him to the hilt.

Point
30th-July-2009, 04:43

Because it's better then going in the nude. What he was hoping to achieve was to watch a game of rugby what the f**k does it matter what he wears of for what reasons.

What do you want a soccer style grounds where there is a dress code. Munster fans there should have backed him to the hilt.

Unless he was being provocative with the intent of drawing a reaction. You've no idea what some of that leinster crowd are like smileys/wink.gif. Look at Dave Cahill for example.....

Or, maybe this has all been blown out of proportion/made upby the OP ?